Discovery Princess first night MDR. Maybe a miss?

quincytoo

Going on our first cruise since Covid 

It will be our 13 Princess cruise 

Mexico out of LA Feb 25 7 day cruise 

Discovery Princess 

watching several you tube videos it appears that the first night dining in the MDR’s wasn’t great 

should I make a reservation at a specialty restaurant the first night ?

Any updated menus available?

so looking forward to cruising again ❤️

The first night can be a bit of mess and a wait, even with a reservation. It is a chance to find a decent table and politely ask for that same table for each night, if it matters to you. We were sat in what the servers called,  the dance floor..but we did not love it. I also didn’t care for the shiny translucent dividers they used there, they distorted everything.  It was also the centre of the room, and you could barely see the ocean. Next time, I’ll push for a better table, although our service was pretty good. 

10 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

The first night can be a bit of mess and a wait, even with a reservation. It is a chance to find a decent table and politely ask for that same table for each night, if it matters to you. We were sat in what the servers called,  the dance floor..but we did not love it. I also didn’t care for the shiny translucent dividers they used there, they distorted everything.  It was also the centre of the room, and you could barely see the ocean. Next time, I’ll push for a better table, although our service was pretty good. 

Funny, that's our favorite location. 😁

• Like 1

14 hours ago, quincytoo said:

Discovery Princess 

watching several you tube videos it appears that the first night dining in the MDR’s wasn’t great 

We don't always do a specialty restaurant, but when we do I like to go on the first night out. The menu in the MDR on the first night hasn't always been very interesting to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Funny, that's our favorite location. 😁

Something for everyone, that’s for sure,. I still like to be closer to the window seats…but not in those squished together-  tables for two. For now, I still want space around us.  The angle on this isn’t great, I took it from table height on my side. He had to squeeze in between the tables to sit down… this was at the disembarkation breakfast..and yes, I see he has a hat on. 

E779322B-E007-4BF9-B136-8E4037F1D737.jpeg

Edited by Happiest when cruising
  • Thanks 1

Have been on discovery twice recently.  We’ve enjoyed the bistro ser la mer first night.  Ask for a window seat or something close.  Staff very accommodating…food excellent in our opinion.   If you get a chance try to get into the 360 dining experience.  Nothing like it….usually reserved for suite guests but go to pursers desk and see what they can do for you.  Well worth any difficulties it takes to get into it.  Helps if you have an inside contact as well.

• Like 2

Just now, wcflats said:

Have been on discovery twice recently.  We’ve enjoyed the bistro ser la mer first night.  Ask for a window seat or something close.  Staff very accommodating…food excellent in our opinion.   If you get a chance try to get into the 360 dining experience.  Nothing like it….usually reserved for suite guests but go to pursers desk and see what they can do for you.  Well worth any difficulties it takes to get into it.  Helps if you have an inside contact as well.

360 is the best!

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

We don't always do a specialty restaurant, but when we do I like to go on the first night out. The menu in the MDR on the first night hasn't always been very interesting to me.

I agree  about that 1st night menu. You would think they would want to make a good impression. I went for a princess favorite, but heard those have gone away with the new one page menu. Hope it's not true.  

3 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Something for everyone, that’s for sure,. I still like to be closer to the window seats…but not in those squished together-  tables for two. For now, I still want space around us.  The angle on this isn’t great, I took it from table height on my side. He had to squeeze in between the tables to sit down… this was at the disembarkation breakfast..and yes, I see he has a hat on. 

Exactly why we choose the dance floor..... and not because of his hat.☺️

I was on the Discovery twice in 2022, both cruises Club Class, the first cruise I ate in Skagway and had the Mahi Mahi, too rubbery for me.  The second cruise I ate at Crown Grill, a total miss.  From the app to the main the food was not good.

BTW I'm talking about the first day dinner.

My best meal was at Bistro sur le Mer, had the filet, best steak I have ever had!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wcflats said:

@wcflats Enquiring mind here. Thanks for weighing in with Sur la Mer. Is the 360 a dining location in the MDR or in a separate location? Something new for me, thanks! I will already be asking to join a Winemaker's or Chef's Table. Please elaborate on the 360 experience.

20 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

@wcflats Enquiring mind here. Thanks for weighing in with Sur la Mer. Is the 360 a dining location in the MDR or in a separate location? Something new for me, thanks! I will already be asking to join a Winemaker's or Chef's Table. Please elaborate on the 360 experience.

You must be invited to participate in 360. It's a great experience but everyone was asked not to give details. It is in a separate location. On the Discovery (only ship that has it so far), it's located off of Sabatini's.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 10:02 AM, wcflats said:

We also had a wonderful dinner at the bistro the first night.  A lot of people were getting the lobster bisque for the starter, but it looked too filling to me. We both had the salmon starter and the fillet of beef main course. Definitely one of the best dinners I have ever had on a ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2023 at 12:54 PM, Happiest when cruising said:

The man obviously took his MDR dress code advice from Joe Cocker’s interpretation of the Randy Newman song*

* obscure reference of the day.

The first night in the MDR was a marathon. We had a 6:30 Rez and didn't finish until 8. Our waiter seemed to have a disconnect between courses and providing ground pepper, rolls and mixed up the salad. Thankfully after the first night it got back on track.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spongerjoe said:

The first night in the MDR was a marathon. We had a 6:30 Rez and didn't finish until 8. Our waiter seemed to have a disconnect between courses and providing ground pepper, rolls and mixed up the salad. Thankfully after the first night it got back on track.

I don’t consider 1 1/2 hours for dinner all that long

• Like 2

3 hours ago, memoak said:

I don’t consider 1 1/2 hours for dinner all that long

Not at all. We arrive at 5 PM sharp and it always takes us 1 1/2 hours also.

Maybe if we ate less it would be quicker. ☺️

• Haha 1

I've done some form of specialty dining on embarkation evening on a number of cruises.  I think you'll find getting a seat in a specialty venue easier and the vibe will be less chaotic than heading to the MDR.

Embarkation or turn day on board a ship is the hardest day for most of the staff as it is an "all hands" type of day.  Your server in the MDR has probably been up all day; might have had an early morning shift serving breakfast in the MDR, or being a utility server in the buffet.  Then as they day progressed they might have been pulled from service only to be doing heavy work of unloading pallets of food into the pantry or various cold storages.  Have they had meals and breaks?  We can hope so, but if push comes to shove, some may not have if they got behind on restocking, or the suppliers at port were disorganized and weren't loading them up fast enough or in the proper order.

So, yes, I'd opt for specialty dining on embarkation night as all the factors work in your favor, lower demand, possibly a more organized or less overworked wait staff, dedicated kitchen staff that might not have been in the middle of the turn day activities, etc.  Plus, having a really nice dinner is a great way to start a cruise.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 9:02 PM, quincytoo said:

Discovery Princess 

We sailed Discovery in September & found meals to be spot on every night.

Except the pork loin. Buffet or MDR--AVOID the pork loin. Dry, tough & tasteless.

• Like 1