FTTF Questions

dmori

Good morning! Can't seem to find answers to my questions on here and my cruise rep has not returned my prior emails so hoping you fine people can help me out! 

1.) FTTF - do they sell a limited quantity of these for each sailing? 

2.) FTTF - Is there a cut off date to purchase? Ie: can it still be purchased after cruise check in? 

Thank you! 

Edited by dmori

1 minute ago, dmori said:

Good morning! Can't seem to find answers to my questions on here and my cruise rep has not returned my prior emails so hoping you fine people can help me out! 

2.) FTTF- Is there a cut off date to purchase? Ie: can it still be purchased after cruise check in? 

Thank you! 

I was told that there is a limited number sold per sailing.  Bought ours a month or so ago for an end of March cruise and the rep was surprised they were still available.  Not sure if that is expected of every sailing.

Amanda

• Like 2

Yes and yes, I think they cut FTTF off 24 hours before sailaway. I'd recommend re-printing your boarding pass if you've already checked in, as your new boarding pass will show your priority status as a FTTF purchaser.

• Like 1

The number of FTTF passes available for sale will be based on the number of platinum and diamond cruisers on that sailing. More of those passengers means less FTTF availability and vice versa, since the perks overlap. 

• Like 4

On 1/30/2023 at 10:15 AM, dmori said:

2.) FTTF - Is there a cut off date to purchase? Ie: can it still be purchased after cruise check in? 

Thank you! 

From my experience seeing FTTF go on sale and then get sold out, and hearing about FTTF not being offered on certain cruises that have large proportions of D&Ps , my hypothesis (held by others too, IIRC) is that the number of "priority guests" is a fixed % (or maybe just number) of pax.

The number of D&Ps (and others like wedding parties who get similar perks) gets subtracted from that total theoretical limit of Priority guests, and the leftovers is what they will sell as FTTF.  That way they can throttle the implementation of the offering to remain manageable.  If everyone has FTTF, then no-one has FTTF.

Like all "excursions", it appears to cutoff the day before you sail.  But I can't ever remember seeing it available so close to sailing - it usually sells out fast.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, pinklucky61 said:

Haven't heard of it since restart, but doesn't hurt to check availability often as sometimes people change their minds or CCL just adds more for whatever reason.

It was available for our cruise in Dec 2022 (it was brought back in Nov 2022 fleetwide), and is currently available for my Dec 2023 cruise.

Oh, and I should note: for our Dec 2022 cruise, I checked in at midnight, 14 days prior to sail date, and snagged a fairly early arrival appointment time, though not in the A-series. As a result, and I timed it for giggles, we boarded 5 minutes prior to the FTTF group.  We were called at 11am, them at 10:55am.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

A lot of people seem to want to use the argument against FTTF, saying that it really doesn't get you on board any earlier. I use FTTF every time...if it's available....and although it does get you on a little earlier, the real benifit for us is being able to board and go directly to our cabin to drop off our luggage, which frees us up from dragging around everything. That, plus no wait at the service desk during the cruise, and much easier and faster debarkation. Our experience with it is very worth it.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, hillbillycruisers said:

A lot of people seem to want to use the argument against FTTF, saying that it really doesn't get you on board any earlier. I use FTTF every time...if it's available....and although it does get you on a little earlier, the real benifit for us is being able to board and go directly to our cabin to drop off our luggage, which frees us up from dragging around everything. That, plus no wait at the service desk during the cruise, and much easier and faster debarkation. Our experience with it is very worth it.

Those are exactly the reasons we get it too. Our carry on bags get heavy after a while and even getting rid of them for a couple of hours is nice. Of the roughly half dozen times I've had FTTF I've only had to go to GS twice (on the same cruise) and it was well worth being able to bypass  the dozen or so people in line, especially since my issues were simple ones that took just a couple of minutes to resolve. I've never understood why so many people seem to think it's all about getting on the ship earlier when that's one of the perks that most of us that buy it care the least about. 

• Like 5

Our first cruise I was like  a pack mule - soda's, water, my notebook bag, cpap, camera, etc...   By the time we could go to our room I was miserable (and sore).   Plus carrying all that around made going through the buffet and so on a pain.

I don't bring nearly as much any more, but the ability to get on and go right to our room to dump all that is nice.   Something about being in the (aft) pool with a mojito at 11a.

• Like 3

On 2/3/2023 at 8:58 AM, ProgRockCruiser said:

It was available for our cruise in Dec 2022 (it was brought back in Nov 2022 fleetwide), and is currently available for my Dec 2023 cruise.

Oh, and I should note: for our Dec 2022 cruise, I checked in at midnight, 14 days prior to sail date, and snagged a fairly early arrival appointment time, though not in the A-series. As a result, and I timed it for giggles, we boarded 5 minutes prior to the FTTF group.  We were called at 11am, them at 10:55am.

Five minutes! Bet you wished you had bought it then! There is no price you can put on being on the cruise ship five minutes earlier. 

On 2/5/2023 at 12:07 AM, hillbillycruisers said:

This is why my wife said to keep it in December. I snagged a 10am check in time and was planning on cancelling it, but that is the perk she loves. Straight to the room to drop off the luggage and then going to lunch unencumbered. I try to get her to just check everything, but she will not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asalligo said:

I try to get her to just check everything, but she will not. 

As one shouldn't. Even the porters tell you to always carry on a bag that has your passports, important paperwork, medications, etc. 

And I also put a swimsuit and a change of clothes in my carry-on in case there is a major delay in getting my luggage delivered. 

2 hours ago, asalligo said:

This is why my wife said to keep it in December. I snagged a 10am check in time and was planning on cancelling it, but that is the perk she loves. Straight to the room to drop off the luggage and then going to lunch unencumbered. I try to get her to just check everything, but she will not. 

It's so much easier without having to drag around our carry-ons and backpacks. We did a Vista cruise last November...FTTF wasn't available. We had boarded fairly easy, but of course had to find a table for lunch and then take turns at the buffet while the other watched the luggage. Then, trying to maneuver around the ship with our luggage was nearly impossible. The elevators were horribly busy, and taking the stairs...with luggage...required agility this old guy doesn't have. Our January Dream cruise had FTTF...and was much MUCH easier. I love FTTF.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your input! Check in started today and I snagged an early arrival time of 10-10:30. We have never purchased FTTF before as it's always been sold out and our most recent cruise with kids we had a suite so had the bag drop option available with that - that being said with 2 extra persons luggage, FTTF simply for bag drop is very desirable. This sailing its just hubby and I again so really on the fence. We pack light as we prefer to go the carry on option for flights as hate checking and collecting luggage simply for the speed on which we are in and out of the airport. I will continue to mull it over for another day or two. Thanks again and cheers! Happy sailing! 

On 2/5/2023 at 12:07 AM, hillbillycruisers said:

I completely understand that.

For us, our carry-on consists of a couple of backpacks.  So while it would be nice to drop those off, we're willing to carry them around for a couple of hours.  Especially since we usually snag a couple of stools at a Lido bar and just hang for a few drinks and a burger.

I've been to CS a handful of times, and never when there was a line-up.  If I'd bought FTTF for previous cruises, I would not have realized any benefit there.  And knock on wood, hopefully won't need it next cruise.

As for debarkation - we drive a short distance to the port, so getting off the ship in a timely fashion is usually not a huge issue, and we let them take our luggage the night before - FTTF doesn't help there either.

If FTTF was $50 a cabin, maybe.  But $130 is enough cash that I could use it elsewhere with more perceived benefit, IMHO.

Horses for courses and all that.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
grammar

On 2/4/2023 at 9:07 PM, hillbillycruisers said:

I think it’s the same as with just about anything. If it’s worth it to YOU, that’s really all that matters. I can remember back when the supplemental-cost restaurants were first being added to the ships and people nearly lost their minds saying it wasn’t worth it and that the food in the main restaurants was enough. For those people, I’m sure all was fine. But for those who paid the extra and found value - the same can be said. Nowadays, I see many if not most cruisers pony up for the “premium dining” (as it is now called) options at least once a cruise. 😂

5 hours ago, cruisinfamily7609 said:

I think it’s the same as with just about anything. If it’s worth it to YOU, that’s really all that matters. 

And seeing that FTTF sells out on many, if not most cruises, it is not overpriced.  If anything, they could probably raise the price some and still sell out.  

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 11:16 PM, mexicobob said:

Did FTTF once many years ago. Had a hard time getting it. Not worth it and would never do it again. Guess it depends on how much an extra hour or so on the ship means to you. 

I like it so I can show up when I please to check in (and skip most of the line), as well as the priority water shuttle (since we never buy Carnival excursions)  

• Like 1

Here is how I see it based on what I have read from others. Only you can decide if it is any advantage to you. For my cruise it is $150 and I see no financial advantage to it at all.

1. You board after Diamond, Platinum, and Suite guests, but before regular boarding people. If you have an early arrival time, you are talking maybe 15 minutes earlier than the first 3-4 boarding groups. This could depend on port and ship.
  2. Rooms are not guaranteed to be ready before 1:30PM anymore for FTTF even though they state it.
  3. Luggage can be dropped off at your room before 1:30PM regardless of what level you are.
  4. Many cruises do not have a tender port which takes tender priority away. For those sailings that do, it has some benefit. Some have complained that even with FTTF, they didn't get priority for tenders.
  5. Guest Service priority line only matters if you go. Obviously lines are long at key times, but they have appointments now in the Hub App. There are little to no lines late at night or early morning.
  6. Debarkation is no advantage if you do self checkout and carry your luggage. Plan accordingly. Bring luggage down early to where it is at. Take turns waiting at the luggage if necessary. For 8AM port times, we have been off at 7:30AM and 7:15AM. This is a little subjective though because anything can delay when they allow you off.

3 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Here is how I see it based on what I have read from others. Only you can decide if it is any advantage to you. For my cruise it is $150 and I see no financial advantage to it at all.

1. You board after Diamond, Platinum, and Suite guests, but before regular boarding people. If you have an early arrival time, you are talking maybe 15 minutes earlier than the first 3-4 boarding groups. This could depend on port and ship.
  2. Rooms are not guaranteed to be ready before 1:30PM anymore for FTTF even though they state it.
  3. Luggage can be dropped off at your room before 1:30PM regardless of what level you are.
  4. Many cruises do not have a tender port which takes tender priority away. For those sailings that do, it has some benefit. Some have complained that even with FTTF, they didn't get priority for tenders.
  5. Guest Service priority line only matters if you go. Obviously lines are long at key times, but they have appointments now in the Hub App. There are little to no lines late at night or early morning.
  6. Debarkation is no advantage if you do self checkout and carry your luggage. Plan accordingly. Bring luggage down early to where it is at. Take turns waiting at the luggage if necessary. For 8AM port times, we have been off at 7:30AM and 7:15AM. This is a little subjective though because anything can delay when they allow you off.

Only priority guests should be in the cabin corridors until rooms are ready. So no, not everybody can drop off luggage early.

Most likely nobody is going to stop you if you drop off your luggage even if you’re not priority. It’s up to each individual guest’s morality.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Only priority guests should be in the cabin corridors until rooms are ready. So no, not everybody can drop off luggage early.

Most likely nobody is going to stop you if you drop off your luggage even if you’re not priority. It’s up to each individual guest’s morality.

Been seeing this a lot lately. Carnival really should crack down on this if they want to keep selling FTTF. 

• Like 5