Disappointing Experience on Wonder

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

And to many Jews too... The ban travel on Saturday/Shabbat was good when families were living together, thousands of years ago.

Nowadays, families are spread out due to work, education, price of living, etc. In Israel, where the Shabbat is the only "free" day, if you don't have a car, you cannot visit families & friends.

No public transportation allowed.

Shavua Tov Dani

IMHO I don't think that your reply is pertinent to the topic.

• Haha 1

I was just doing some searching for group or themed cruises as we might be booking soon and found one link that was a travel agency that lists many, many themes and cruises on lots of cruise lines.  With the suggested keywords of themed or group, you should be able to find a few different long lists.

I also found this on Royal Caribbean's website that shows some themed cruises for 2023.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/plan-a-cruise/themed-cruises

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I was just doing some searching for group or themed cruises as we might be booking soon and found one link that was a travel agency that lists many, many themes and cruises on lots of cruise lines.  With the suggested keywords of themed or group, you should be able to find a few different long lists.

I also found this on Royal Caribbean's website that shows some themed cruises for 2023.

That is interesting.  Looking at that made me realize I don't want a themed cruise or charter of *any* sort.  For example, I really like Star Trek.   I've never been to a Trek convention, but if one of my friends wanted to go, I'd be the first they'd ask to go with them and I'd do so.  I am comfortable around nerds, being one.  But, even the Star Trek cruise doesn't appeal.  I just want a normal cruise with normal entertainment, the normal random collection of people and nothing being completely closed.  Although at that price I wouldn't accidentally go on a themed cruise.  

What I really wonder.   I booked non-refundable fares for a cruise a year away now.  At the moment it isn't a partial charter at least as far as my googling can tell me.  Will Royal allow me to change the cruise without a change fee because of the charter?   I booked after the free changes covid rules expired.  We'll be driving so changing won't be a problem.  

13 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

That is interesting.  Looking at that made me realize I don't want a themed cruise or charter of *any* sort.  For example, I really like Star Trek.   I've never been to a Trek convention, but if one of my friends wanted to go, I'd be the first they'd ask to go with them and I'd do so.  I am comfortable around nerds, being one.  But, even the Star Trek cruise doesn't appeal.  I just want a normal cruise with normal entertainment, the normal random collection of people and nothing being completely closed.  Although at that price I wouldn't accidentally go on a themed cruise.  

What I really wonder.   I booked non-refundable fares for a cruise a year away now.  At the moment it isn't a partial charter at least as far as my googling can tell me.  Will Royal allow me to change the cruise without a change fee because of the charter?   I booked after the free changes covid rules expired.  We'll be driving so changing won't be a problem.  

The short answer is no, they don't let you know if there are partial charters or allow you to move without penalty. The long answer is that there are large groups on almost every cruise. 

I've been part of several partial charters of 100 people or less. You'd never notice there were ladies quilting. The best was when there was also a group of Magic, the Gathering. We were an unusual group at lunch, a group of women over 50 in our pastels and younger people in goth black with their pins through their eyebrows. We've also been on cruises with people who were in classes all day with their pocket protectors and young women with their families celebrating their quincenera. The only one that gave us any issues was the half charter by an MLM who wore turquoise T shirts the entire time. I had trouble looking at that color for a few years thereafter. In part it was the sheer size of the group, the other part was avoiding getting involved in eye contact so they couldn't start on their spiel. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 5:49 PM, DustFSU said:

Like you stated after multiple comments, it's NOT Royal's fault, so you shouldn't hold it against them since you are loyal to royal.  You never know what can happen most of the time from cruise to cruise. Large groups, bad weather, rude people, over crowded areas.  The last cruise I did on the Allure was packed to the brim.  Was it frustrating, sometimes, but I didn't let if effect my trip because I expected the ship to be full.  Was the food not the greatest some nights in the MDR, no, but hey I didn't have to cook it.  Unfortunately I don't think you are going to get high quality food in the MDR or the Windjammer on any cruise, because the vendor's aren't providing that for the cruise lines anymore.  It also has to do with cost with the economy now.  Prices have gone way up for even stuff that use to be a few dollars.  Just think of how much each cruise they have to spend on food to feed everyone.  Cruises are cheap, but they try to make it affordable to people with medium sized families.  I live in FL and the cost of Disney and their parks and food is unreal.  Is the food good at Disney for the value, sure isn't.  What we would spend in the parks to get in, food and to stay somewhere for only 3 days I could get for the cost of a week long cruise.  They only have tables of a max of 10, so the person on the phone told you wrong information.  We are doing a summer Alaskan cruise and we have 19 going.  We know we will have to have 2 tables.  Each night you could just rotated where you sat because realistically if you were at a 12 person table you could really only probably talk to 4 people at a time or you would have to shout down to the end of the table.  It is kind of a bummer that the group took over the whole Solarium area.  Just remember, every cruise won't be perfect and you just have to make the best of it as you can.  Royal's business is really booming because of the experience and quality the have in the business.  Next time you have a big group go down to the MDR  on the first day and talk to the head waiter and see what they can do. I have found from reading on here the people on the phone aren't always great help.  I hope you have a good experience on the other two lines you try out. 

Also try a smaller class like the Freedom or Quantum class ship.  The Oasis class are the most popular for their WOW factor and many things to do on oboard

Thank you for sharing your review and experiences as well as educating folks about the importance of researching mass bookings!

My craziest experience was a 1200-person biker gang.  Luckily it was just the husband and I and we had so much fun with them.  Unruly kiddos is my breaking point, crazy adults, not so much.  Dunno why. 

On 2/2/2023 at 10:14 PM, Thisguylikestocruise said:

I board Wonder this Sunday, and today we went to Disney. I thought a weekday in February would be a good time to visit Disney. I was so wrong! It was EXTREMELY crowded. I’ve been there many times, and it’s the worst I’ve seen it. Elbow to elbow crowds. Boxed in by double strollers or electric scooters at every turn.Totally overwhelmed and exhausted. I feel like it’s unsafe. If there was an emergency, people would get trampled in the park. Ready for a relaxing cruise. After my experience at Disney today, I’m sure getting on Wonder this week will feel much more relaxing.

My house is in Orlando and this is so true.  Always have strollers hitting my ankles and when there are themed groups from out of the country, they have different social norms about body space than we do, it aggravates me.  (I hate being pushed and touched, a regular for Disney).  Try November before thanksgiving break, it's all decked out for christmas and fewer crowds.  Too cold for the water venues though. 

On 2/4/2023 at 4:11 PM, reallyitsmema said:

Thanks for sharing - never seen this before.  A great way to see if a cruise we have reserved has anything theme associated with it.  

• Like 1

I've read similar negative reviews / experiences with some of these large groups sailing in January.  Back in 2019 I found out we were going to be on one in January 2020 and moved our reservation to another ship.  Reviews of the January 2020 cruise we transferred out of were not good.... group rude to staff, kids running around unsupervised, etc.  Glad we moved our reservation.    

We learned then to do research if sailing in January to try and avoid some of the large groups.  I'm sure there are many large groups that behave just fine.   But we spend a lot on cruising / airfare and don't want to have it ruined by one of the groups that behaves poorly.  

On 2/4/2023 at 4:09 PM, Badatz2 said:

Shavua Tov Dani

IMHO I don't think that your reply is pertinent to the topic.

That might be your opinion, but I find it interesting what other Jews think of some of the antiquated laws.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

That might be your opinion, but I find it interesting what other Jews think of some of the antiquated laws.

It is exactly because the topic here is "group travel and venue closing on cruise ships" and not "Judaism, modern or antiquated?" that I said that this is an inappropriate forum.

I would be happy to discuss the subject with you anytime in a proper setting.

7 minutes ago, Badatz2 said:

It is exactly because the topic here is "group travel and venue closing on cruise ships" and not "Judaism, modern or antiquated?" that I said that this is an inappropriate forum.

I would be happy to discuss the subject with you anytime in a proper setting.

So you have never been on a thread that has gone off topic? Obviously you haven’t been around very long. Btw, your comment to Dani just extended the off topic comments. Back to the regularly scheduled program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

So you have never been on a thread that has gone off topic? Obviously you haven’t been around very long. Btw, your comment to Dani just extended the off topic comments. Back to the regularly scheduled program.

Yes, I have seen threads go awry and I have been here longer than is listed.  That's the reason that there is a 2 by my name. There were problems with my account after a few years and it had to be restarted.

But anyway, nice chatting with you and let's keep cruising.

On 2/3/2023 at 2:02 PM, orville99 said:

They are prepared in a kosher kitchen shoreside, packaged, frozen, and delivered to the ship with all of the prepackaged disposable utensils, etc all sealed. (Picture a TV dinner). They are served to the passenger still sealed.

Thank you. I was wondering how a Kosher kitchen could be set up temporarily within the galley. 
And how individual Kosher meals could be served year round. Never thought of frozen!

On 2/4/2023 at 1:11 PM, dani negreanu said:

And to many Jews too... The ban travel on Saturday/Shabbat was good when families were living together, thousands of years ago.

Nowadays, families are spread out due to work, education, price of living, etc. In Israel, where the Shabbat is the only "free" day, if you don't have a car, you cannot visit families & friends.

No public transportation allowed.

Here in Jacksonville we have a large population that observe Shabbat. 
It is not allowed to press the button to keep a pedestrian crossing light green long enough for the  elderly and small children to cross wide streets. 
The city made changes to how that works to make crossing the street during Shabbat safer for our Orthodox neighbors. 
Even traditions that don’t seem important any more are comforting and keep us connected to the long string that is our history. 
That being said, I sure was happy when we were told we could eat meat on Friday. (Except Good Friday)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2023 at 10:42 AM, jagsfan said:

Here in Jacksonville we have a large population that observe Shabbat. 
It is not allowed to press the button to keep a pedestrian crossing light green long enough for the  elderly and small children to cross wide streets. 
The city made changes to how that works to make crossing the street during Shabbat safer for our Orthodox neighbors. 
Even traditions that don’t seem important any more are comforting and keep us connected to the long string that is our history. 
That being said, I sure was happy when we were told we could eat meat on Friday. (Except Good Friday)

The religion is very outdated.None of the rules apply anymore.Said as a gay jew.