PARTIALLY HANDICAPPED TRAVELER

lovespositano

My husband and I are cruising on the Ruby Princess later this month.  He can walk with assistance but has balance issues and is a fall risk.  We wanted an accessible room but none were available so we booked a mini-suite.  I didn't realize that these staterooms have a tub/shower combination rather than just a shower.  We have requested the shower stool and plan to bring a collapsible wheelchair, but we are still concerned about the tub and the cruise in general.  Has anyone been in a similar situation?  If so, any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. 

I can tell you that the tub is difficult to get in and out of. Even without balance issues.     If your husband has balance problems I would not book a minisuite.   If a walkin shower is easier can you book a balcony instead.   The down side is the walkin shower is small and there are no sofas.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lovespositano said:

My husband and I are cruising on the Ruby Princess later this month.  He can walk with assistance but has balance issues and is a fall risk.  We wanted an accessible room but none were available so we booked a mini-suite.  I didn't realize that these staterooms have a tub/shower combination rather than just a shower.  We have requested the shower stool and plan to bring a collapsible wheelchair, but we are still concerned about the tub and the cruise in general.  Has anyone been in a similar situation?  If so, any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. 

Since your leaving so soon…

I would work with your TA or CVP, if you have one in this.  Have them contact Princess’s department that handles the handicapped cabins and see if they can  help you.

If you booked directly with PCL, then you would call them for help

Other ideas:

See if it’s possible to waitlist for an accessible cabin, if possible.

Try a bidding upgrade to a suite, if that’s within your budget.

Last resort, Guest services on embarkation day, to see if a handicapped cabin has opened or change to a balcony.  Don’t know how full your ship is at this point.

One of the occupational therapist that worked with me after my bilateral knee replacement taught me how to use a shower stool to get in and out of a tub.  The shower stool height can be adjusted.  Straddle the stool over the edge of the tub (hall in/half out).  

It is not the best option.  Hopefully, an accessible cabin will become available.  It may not be a balcony or mini-suite, but will be much safer for DH.

Call your travel agent ASAP….or speak to Princess.  Don’t wait any longer.

• Like 2

My husband uses a walker and has balance problems. I am on a Princess cruise at the moment and after experiencing some negativity from Princess, I am good ng to make sure in the future to book an accessible cabin and to ask more questions re: how my husband is treated as far as his disability is concerned. We have been loyal customers with Princess cruises, but will definitely be shopping around with other cruise lines to see how they cater for disabled passengers!  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scotmay said:

My husband uses a walker and has balance problems. I am on a Princess cruise at the moment and after experiencing some negativity from Princess, I am good ng to make sure in the future to book an accessible cabin and to ask more questions re: how my husband is treated as far as his disability is concerned. We have been loyal customers with Princess cruises, but will definitely be shopping around with other cruise lines to see how they cater for disabled passengers!  

May I ask what problems or issues you are experiencing on your cruise.  Sounds like you are not at all pleased with the treatment your husband is receiving.

we found that not all tours were available to assemgers who used wheelchairs, scooters or walkers and in fact none were available yesterday in Barbados. We had to have a very serious discussion with a senior officer in the Tours Dept before 2 seats were miraculously o0ened up for us. I will have many more questions in the future re:  the disabled!

15 minutes ago, Scotmay said:

we found that not all tours were available to assemgers who used wheelchairs, scooters or walkers and in fact none were available yesterday in Barbados. We had to have a very serious discussion with a senior officer in the Tours Dept before 2 seats were miraculously o0ened up for us. I will have many more questions in the future re:  the disabled!

Also, I would consider that not as much as been offered post pandemic in regards to excursions for all.  The suppliers are coming back, but we found this on our May ‘22 & October ‘22.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Scotmay said:

But, didn’t you also start another thread?

You stated that you did not book any tours ahead of time, but waited until you were OB?  Now, halfway through your b2b cruises, you find that the accessible tours are sold out.

That is definitely a problem with all tours.  Not just accessible tours being sold out, but others too, if you wait till OB.  I’m sure the other cruise lines have the same problem.

I am happy that you did find a tour available.

Enjoy your current cruise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We cruise with our adult son that has cerebral palsy.  Like your husband, he can walk with assistance but has balance issues.  And tires easily. We also thought about a mini suite for the tub (he prefers baths) but realized he wouldn't get out very easily. 

We get a deluxe balcony.  It just has a regular shower but with the small sofa it adds more room to the cabin. We had an accessible suite cabin once and didn't like it. The bathroom floor got so wet and seemed to be too slippery. Maybe it was just didn't fit our needs but will be ok for you.

We also order a wheelchair from www.specialneedsatsea.com.They also have walkers. They will deliver to your cabin and pick up item in your cabin. 

We only use the wheelchair when we are walking in port or when he gets too tired. 

Hope you find a cabin that suits your needs. Enjoy your cruise.

Kaye

• Like 4

One thing you can request is a transfer bench for the shower. It will allow your husband to sit on the bench outside the tub and then the seat will slide on the rails into the tub compartment. he can choose to sit on the bench or then stand in the shower. he will need to be mindful of the shower curtain where it meets the rails. It is a huge help in crossing over the tub wall. This was an option for me on the Ruby a few years ago. I also considered ordering a set of portable grab bars for the toilet that fit together and rest on the floor and stand 31" tall. Good luck and safe travels to you both on your cruise! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm on Ruby right now and there are 1,700 passengers onboard; last week there were 2,400.  I see several empty cabins on my section of Dolphin (aft).  A mini suite tub can two feet high, so could be dangerous in your situation.  Good luck.

We're sailing with my mom who, while she can walk, has trouble walking distances and stepping up/down. We'll be renting a mobility scooter for her for the cruise. We initially booked a mini-suite and then realized the tub/shower combo. We found a full suite with separate shower and tub for not much more so that is what we will be doing. There is no way the combo would have worked for her. 

• Like 2

The Deluxe Balcony idea was great, except there aren’t any on the Ruby. OP, I know what you’re saying. I need an accessible stateroom now and have to plan our cruises around their availability. They typically book up far in advance. Keep checking each day, though, and hopefully one will open up. I second that the bathtub in a mini suite would be way too challenging and risky to get in and out of. Be safe, have fun, and good luck!