AARP Raises Limit on Gift Card Purchases

Rick&Jeannie

Yes, you get an email with the gift card number and a pin; go to the website and enter the data.  Keep a copy of the GC.  Any refunds will go back to the cards.   If you work with a travel agent they can enter the information.  Many cruisers on CC do it.  We’ve saved quite a bit….well 10%.  

Twenty five cards is a lot! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rnff2 said:

Do you know for certain that these giftcards can be used to pay for the cruise itself?  I plan to check with my TA prior to purchasing but wondering if you have experience using these.  

Bought five gift cards on Monday night.  Sent the numbers and pins to our TA on Tuesday and received updated confirmation showing they had all been applied.

• Like 4

I am currently on the Sapphire Princess and had to provide printed copies of the PDF file for each card redeemed on board. This is different from what I experienced on the Island Princess last November where I could just provide a list of numbers and the PIN codes.

51 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

I am currently on the Sapphire Princess and had to provide printed copies of the PDF file for each card redeemed on board. This is different from what I experienced on the Island Princess last November where I could just provide a list of numbers and the PIN codes.

You couldn’t just show a screenshot of the cards?  This was to add a new card OB for OBC?

8 hours ago, rnff2 said:

Do you know for certain that these giftcards can be used to pay for the cruise itself?  I plan to check with my TA prior to purchasing but wondering if you have experience using these.  

I have paid off a complete cruise (minus the FCD used) with these cards and have almost paid off another (minus a credit card deposit).  Yes...keep the printouts and copies of the original email...just in case!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I logged onto AARP today to purchase a couple of gift cards today.  They have changed the "notice" about there being a limit of 5 GC purchases a month.  It now says 25!

Thank for this. I’ve saved a bundle using these cards. It’s a great discount. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I logged onto AARP today to purchase a couple of gift cards today.  They have changed the "notice" about there being a limit of 5 GC purchases a month.  It now says 25!

Just purchased my Princess gift cards for February and my limit still says 5

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I have paid off a complete cruise (minus the FCD used) with these cards and have almost paid off another (minus a credit card deposit).  Yes...keep the printouts and copies of the original email...just in case!

Thank you!!!  Planning on taking advantage of this!  

5 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

I have had guest services agents ask for that but if you ask them to check they are always told it is not necessary as long as you know the amount, number, and pin

My apologies!! I've been buying for more than just Princess.  I just paid off a Princess cruise and started working on a Carnival cruise I have booked with grandkids.  Those cards allow 25,,, I just assumed (I know...)

image.png.6b6a6fcc6a92c60a7e3c1d173ca38688.png

Sorry if I've led anybody astray.  I don't know why Carnival cards would be considered "premium" while Princess are "standard".

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

My apologies!! I've been buying for more than just Princess.  I just paid off a Princess cruise and started working on a Carnival cruise I have booked with grandkids.  Those cards allow 25,,, I just assumed (I know...)

image.png.6b6a6fcc6a92c60a7e3c1d173ca38688.png

Sorry if I've led anybody astray.  I don't know why Carnival cards would be considered "premium" while Princess are "standard".

No problem, thanks for pointing it out. I have a final payment coming up soon so I bought 5. I don't mind a little work to save $250.

I have looked all over the AARP website and the only thing I can find when I search for Princess gift cards are links to articles with links to third party sites and warnings about scams.  Can someone tell me where on this website this is located?  Thanks!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

You couldn’t just show a screenshot of the cards?  This was to add a new card OB for OBC?

Nope, they wanted the hard copy for their files.

It was to add a new card for OBC. Went to the Effy store ...

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I have had guest services agents ask for that but if you ask them to check they are always told it is not necessary as long as you know the amount, number, and pin

That was my experience on the Island Princess in November too. However now on the Sapphire Princess it's different. They showed me a stack of redemptions they had processed earlier.

This is pretty much a warning to be prepared to print the card's file. I had to email them to myself and then go to the Internet Cafe to read my email and print them. At least there was no charge for printing,

They will no accept files on a USB drive for printing.

13 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

I am completely new to this!   I am not finding Princess gift cards for sale on the AARP site, so I guess I need a little hand holding 🙂

11 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I have looked all over the AARP website and the only thing I can find when I search for Princess gift cards are links to articles with links to third party sites and warnings about scams.  Can someone tell me where on this website this is located?  Thanks!

Go to the AARP.org website and look for the AARP Rewards link at the top of the main page. Once in Rewards, keep digging, they're kind of buried but they are there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Go to the AARP.org website and look for the AARP Rewards link at the top of the main page. Once in Rewards, keep digging, they're kind of buried but they are there.

Yep. You must do the AARP Rewards thing to see the offer. You do not have to join AARP - just the Rewards program.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

25 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Yep. You must do the AARP Rewards thing to see the offer. You do not have to join AARP - just the Rewards program.

19 minutes ago, jjack413 said:

17 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Direct Link

Purchased Princess and Holland today. 
Limit 5

https://www.aarp.org/rewards/discover/

Thanks all.  I've gotten in there but am just in a crazy loop where the "Get Started..." button has the only functioning link and it keeps bringing me back to the home page.  We've already signed up and we are AARP members.  Will try later but at least now I know where it is supposed to be!  🙂 

ETA:  The above is what happened on my laptop.  I was able to find it on my phone.  Thanks again!

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 2