AARP Raises Limit on Gift Card Purchases

Rick&Jeannie

1 minute ago, Mary loves to travel said:

OK, they just emailed me my "Welcome" message.   NOW I can see the gift cards!!    

So, I can buy a Princess gift card at a 10% discount to pay for a cruise.... and can we buy the gift cards with a regular credit card?

Nice 🙂

oh, I think I see the "catch".    If for some reason one were to cancel, say in the early penalty phase of just the deposit, the refund is back to the gift card?

Mary

15 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I logged onto AARP today to purchase a couple of gift cards today.  They have changed the "notice" about there being a limit of 5 GC purchases a month.  It now says 25!

Thank you!!! This is huge for us as we’re AARP members, but never knew about this 10% GC perk! If I might ask, if we’re also paying for our son and daughter cruises, can we use these gift cards to pay for their cruises as well, since we’re paying for them anyway?

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thank you!!! This is huge for us as we’re AARP members, but never knew about this 10% GC perk! If I might ask, if we’re also paying for our son and daughter cruises, can we use these gift cards to pay for their cruises as well, since we’re paying for them anyway?

Yes! They are just “normal” GC not linked to your account.

**** Keep the cards tho, if you cancel it’s refunded back to the same gift card. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rnff2 said:

Do you know for certain that these giftcards can be used to pay for the cruise itself?  I plan to check with my TA prior to purchasing but wondering if you have experience using these.  

I paid for the cruise we took in Oct and Dec with the AARP cards - and I have purchased enough to pay for our Feb 2024 cruise.  10% is 10% and the last time I used a new credit card and bought the gift cards to meet the minimum spend requirement to get 70,000 airline miles I wanted.  Win win 🙂

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

**** Keep the cards tho, if you cancel it’s refunded back to the same gift card. 

We’re reading the below link now and there are definitely prerequisites for booking with Royal Caribbean, specifically the GCs are only applicable to new bookings AND you have to book directly with RCCL. Is this true with regards to Princess bookings too or can your cruise be booked through a TA and can the gift cards be applied after booking the cruise at any time prior to final payment?

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Redemption/Three-Exciting-New-AARP-Rewards-Cruise-Line-Gift-Cards/m-p/2448318#M4871

Edited by Ken the cruiser

9 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

I have the emails, saved the cards (full page with instructions) as a PDF, and have snipped them and put them into a Word doc. I have 10 cards so far and the printed versions are in the safe. Taking no chances. 😎 I'll buy 5 each month and will use them to pay for our 28 day B2B2B in Australia/New Zealand and also for the EZ Air flights that are billed along with the cruises. 

I prefer the actual "hard copy" plastic cards but these will work. During the shutdown I had over $6,000 in Princess gift cards just sitting in the safe. I was glad to be able to finally use them last May.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Thanks all.  I've gotten in there but am just in a crazy loop where the "Get Started..." button has the only functioning link and it keeps bringing me back to the home page.  We've already signed up and we are AARP members.  Will try later but at least now I know where it is supposed to be!  🙂 

ETA:  The above is what happened on my laptop.  I was able to find it on my phone.  Thanks again!

Once you have created your AARP Rewards account you need to log out and then log in again after responding to the Awards activation message.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’re reading the below link now and there are definitely prerequisites for booking with Royal Caribbean, specifically the GCs are only applicable to new bookings AND you have to book directly with RCCL. Is this true with regards to Princess bookings too or can your cruise be booked through a TA and can the gift cards be applied after booking the cruise at any time prior to final payment?

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Redemption/Three-Exciting-New-AARP-Rewards-Cruise-Line-Gift-Cards/m-p/2448318#M4871

oh, this is a bit concerning.

Thanks for sharing, Ken!

I realize also that if I don't pay for my cruise directly with my credit card, that might mean the credit card travel insurance won't apply.   Hmm.

Mary

6 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Thanks for sharing, Ken!

I realize also that if I don't pay for my cruise directly with my credit card, that might mean the credit card travel insurance won't apply.   Hmm.

Mary

We don’t usually book cruises with RCCL, so no issues here. But we have 10 Princess cruises currently booked, to include 4 family member cabins, so this would be a huge savings for us IF we can apply the GCs to cruises we have already booked through a TA.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

oh, I think I see the "catch".    If for some reason one were to cancel, say in the early penalty phase of just the deposit, the refund is back to the gift card?

Mary

yrs

18 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The Princess cards don't have any of those restrictions Ken. We book through a TA and apply with them to already-made bookings, OBC, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Terms and conditions of Princess Cruise Line gift cards can be seen at

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/overview/gift-cards/

Scroll toward the bottom of that page to read the terms and conditions. The same terms and conditions apply to Princess Gift cards purchased at a discount via AARP Rewards.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Terms and conditions of Princess Cruise Line gift cards can be seen at

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/overview/gift-cards/

Scroll toward the bottom of that page to read the terms and conditions. The same terms and conditions apply to Princess Gift cards purchased at a discount via AARP Rewards.

So, if I might ask, the following T&C section does not apply because AARP is an approved seller of Princess Gift Cards? More specifically, the GCs purchased through the AARP Rewards program are in fact Princess Gift Cards?

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than Princess® may not be valid or may have less redeemable balance or value than promised by an unauthorized seller. Princess® is not responsible for honoring invalid Gift Cards or misrepresented or invalid balances or values.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Thanks for sharing, Ken!

Mary

I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card and I read the travel insurance benefits and they seem to apply even if only a portion of the travel is paid with the credit card.  I do use the gift cards but make sure to pay a small amount with my credit card as well.   

I uploaded the terms and conditions of the credit card for those that are interested.  

Chase Sapphire Travel Insurance 2-4-23.pdf

• Like 2

When you get the gift card there is a bunch of ancillary text that shows. Below is the text from the actual page with the gift card purchased from AARP. Notice it is actually Princess stuff. These cards are sold through AARP at a discount but are actually Princess gift cards the same as one can buy from the Princess site.

================================================================

• Choose Princess® and See the World, Together. Finding new ways to bring people closer is our legacy. Because lasting memories are made when we share our hearts, share our worlds, and truly create connections that matter. So don’t just go on vacation, gather your loved ones, try new foods, discover new lands and experience new adventures, together. What are you waiting for?

It’s not just a gift card. It’s the promise of reconnecting with those you love on an adventure at sea. Easy to buy and redeem, Princess® Gift Cards can be used before sailing or once on board, on everything from shore excursions and spa treatments to a cruise itself.
  • At this time, Princess® Gift Cards are only available for purchase by residents of the United States and Canada.

Please note that Princess® Classic Gift Cards cannot be mailed to Canada so Canadian residents wishing to purchase a Gift Card should select the eGift Card option.

Digital gift cards redeemed by Canadian residents can only be used towards cruise passage for bookings made in US Dollars or onboard all Princess® vessels at the passenger services desk. Princess® Gift Cards cannot be applied towards cruise passage for bookings made in Canadian Dollars.

Gift cards may be used for purchases onboard Princess® Cruise Lines, Ltd. (“Princess®”) vessels or applied as payment to a Princess® cruise booking. This card may not be redeemed for cash, unless required by law. Princess® does not accept responsibility for cards lost, damaged or stolen, or any unauthorized use of cards. Unauthorized resale prohibited. Complete terms and conditions are available at Princess.com/giftcardterms. . Acceptance and/or use of this card constitutes acceptance of these terms and conditions, which may change at any time.

Redeeming Gift Cards
    Gift Cards are only redeemable for purchases onboard Princess® ships or applied as payment to a Princess® booking. Gift Cards may be redeemed for or on any cruise sold or operated by Princess®. If the Gift Card is redeemed on a Princess® ship where the onboard currency is not based in US Dollars, then the amount of the Gift Card will be converted to the shipboard currency at the foreign exchange rate posted at the Passenger Services Desk.

The price of each transaction paid for by the Gift Card will be debited against the balance or value on the Gift Card. If the price for a transaction is greater than the balance or value on the Gift Card, the purchaser must pay the difference. If the price for a transaction is less than the balance or value on the Gift Card, the unused portion will remain on the Gift Card until it is redeemed and the value of the Gift Card is decreased to zero, at which time the Gift Card will be deactivated.

Gift Cards will not be accepted if the Gift Card number is invalid, the value on the Gift Card is zero, the Gift Card has not been activated, or Gift Card cannot be found within the Princess® Gift Card system.

Princess® Terms & Conditions

Terms & Conditions

Introduction

Princess® offers closed loop prepaid cards (“Gift Cards”) for purchase. This document contains the full set of terms of use governing your use of the Gift Card. As used below, the term “Standard Gift Card” means a Gift Card purchased by a customer, and the term “Promotional Gift Card” means a Gift Card that is provided without charge as a part of a marketing, sales, booking or similar promotion or loyalty program.

We recommend that you read this document carefully before using the Gift Card. If you have any questions or would like more information about your Gift Card, you can call us toll free at the number below.

General Description

Standard Gift Cards have no expiration date. Promotional Gift Cards may carry an expiration date which will be printed on the Promotional Gift Card.

Gift Cards do not incur any dormancy fees for non-use.

Gift Cards are not credit, debit, or charge cards, and have no implied warranties.

Princess® does not accept responsibility for lost, damaged or stolen Gift Cards, or any unauthorized use of Gift Cards.

Gift Cards have no value until activated at time of purchase, and Gift Cards will not be activated until payment is verified. Gift Cards will be activated when delivered, and will be active upon receipt by the customer.

Gift Cards cannot be reloaded, meaning funds may not be added to Gift Cards after activation.

Once activated, Gift Cards may not be resold; resale or attempted resale is grounds for seizure and cancellation of the Gift Card without compensation.

Gift Cards are not refundable or redeemable for cash, except where required by law.

Princess® may refuse, cancel or hold for review Gift Cards and Gift Card orders in cases where it suspects fraud, mistake, alteration, issuance in an incorrect denomination, or violations of law, policies or these Terms and Conditions.

Gift Cards are issued by Princess® Cruise Lines, Ltd. Princess® and the issuer reserve the right, and holders or purchasers of a Gift Card agree that, Princess® and the issuer may at any time change these Terms and Conditions, as permitted by law.

These Terms and Conditions and all matters arising out of or relating to the Gift Cards, except as governed by federal law, will be governed by the laws of the State of Florida without giving effect to any choice of law rule.

Purchasing Gift Cards

Gift Cards are available for purchase on this web page (www.Princess.com/giftcard), by calling 1-800-774-6237, or your travel agent. Purchasers may not acquire Gift Cards from Princess® in any given day in an aggregate amount that exceeds $10,000. Each single Gift Card may be purchased in any denomination between $25 and $2,000.

Gift Cards may be purchased as either a plastic card (“Classic GiftCard”) or as an electronic Gift Card (“eGift Card”). Shipping fees may apply to Classic Gift Card orders. Select “Order Now” under “Classic Gift Card” on this web page (www.Princess.com/giftcard) for rates. eGift Cards are available for immediate delivery by e-mail, and no shipping fees apply to emailed Gift Cards.

Princess® is not responsible for Gift Cards that are undeliverable or not received due to inaccurate delivery information, including physical and e-mail addresses. This is the responsibility of the purchaser.

Gift Cards purchased from sources other than Princess® may not be valid or may have less redeemable balance or value than promised by an unauthorized seller. Princess® is not responsible for honoring invalid Gift Cards or misrepresented or invalid balances or values.

Gift Cards may not be resold. Princess® will not be responsible for any Gift Cards bought or sold through any website facilitating aftermarket sales of pre-gifted or pre-owned items (e.g., E-bay, Craigslist, etc.)

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JAT0303 said:

I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card and I read the travel insurance benefits and they seem to apply even if only a portion of the travel is paid with the credit card.  I do use the gift cards but make sure to pay a small amount with my credit card as well.   

I uploaded the terms and conditions of the credit card for those that are interested.  

Chase Sapphire Travel Insurance 2-4-23.pdf 321.26 kB · 0 downloads

Ok, that’s what I remember.  

13 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

I am currently on the Sapphire Princess and had to provide printed copies of the PDF file for each card redeemed on board. This is different from what I experienced on the Island Princess last November where I could just provide a list of numbers and the PIN codes.

I’m going to just print a copy of the gift card, as a backup.  Maybe that was a new employee?

I will just give a print out of the cards with the PIN to my TA. He will call Princess and apply the cards. He has done this with the physical cards as well as the "bonus" e-cards Princess gave for purchasing the regular ones. The Princess "bonus" e-cards had expiration dates which made things hard when the shutdown happened. I got them to waive the expiration date on some of them but I "lost" two other $250 cards to the expiration dates. I prefer this straight up 10% discount at time of purchase.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

I prefer this straight up 10% discount at time of purchase.

I do also. But I understand why Princess does their bonus as a card that can only be used with them. The expiration date on them could be longer. I had so many and so many refunded back or partial that it was hard to keep track. 

A good point is that the 5 limit is per EMAIL address. I use 2 different emails and buy 10 at a time.The gift cards have no reference to any email address so that's a work around if in a crunch time.  We had a cruise paid for then cancelled by Covid. All the funds refunded and used again for upcoming cruise. I cut and paste the digital cards to a page and get 4 on a page, I wonder if that will cause a stir. If it does,I think I'll just cut them up to save paper.😀

28 minutes ago, linaka625 said:

Also, if you purchase your airfare through Princess, you'll be getting 10% off that also if you pay with the AARP gift cards. I found this to be a good savings, as I book my overseas flights through Princess.

are you able to use a gift card to pay for EZAir?   On the FAQ it says:

Q: Are there any restrictions in using the Princess Cruises Gift Card towards the payment of products and services offered by Princess Cruises?
A: The Princess Cruises Gift Card can be used for most Princess products and services, with the exception of payment towards Land Excursions and eZAir.