In-person muster drills?

fyrmrs

The only places I’m seeing this announcement so far are on social media forums and CC. 

Cannot find any information about the update on NCL’s site or by doing a simple google search. 

We’re cruising 04/07/2023 and would expect an email to be sent if this is indeed happening effective 04/01/2023. 

1 minute ago, styles27 said:

The only places I’m seeing this announcement so far are on social media forums and CC. 

Cannot find any information about the update on NCL’s site or by doing a simple google search. 

We’re cruising 04/07/2023 and would expect an email to be sent if this is indeed happening effective 04/01/2023. 

Same, it's not listed anywhere on the NCL website so we shall see moving forward.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

'We've always done it this way, therefore we must continue to do it this way'.

And, who are you quoting that is saying this is the justification?  I guess this is the current trend in debates, say the "information" often enough, and it will be accepted as the "truth".

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Just off Regent and the coughs increased daily, as above!

We plan on masking up for muster, the big shows and crowded clubs. Did you encounter any nastiness towards your wearing a mask?

Thanks!

Yep...the 'wet coughs' coughs increased daily and by the end of the cruise it was very noticeable.   

We did 'sensible' things to avoid catching whatever it was  ( masking, no elevators, staying away from crowded venues as much as we could, etc... ).  However, sometimes it was unavoidable...like the muster. 

And yeah...there was literally nobody masking except for us and a few other 'brave' souls.  Nobody cared at all about our masking though...other than a few strange looks.  I just winked at 'em...haha.  🤣    

Happy to say we are still 'whatever it was' free!  So it seems like our precautions worked...as I thought they would!  👍

Also reading some rumors that NCL may return to e-muster.  Given our experience, that would be welcome as the muster is and always was a 'superspreader' event for 'whatever is is' that is out there.  e-muster just seems like a better way to go...in our case it was in the huge auditorium and it seemed like very few were paying attention...

Edited by farmecologist

25 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, who are you quoting that is saying this is the justification?  I guess this is the current trend in debates, say the "information" often enough, and it will be accepted as the "truth".

Change is always difficult for those who live in the past.

Their argument is always: "but we've always done it this way".

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

SMH.  Still not answering questions.

There's no reason to answer your pointless questions.  

Perhaps you'd care to answer why Royal, Carnival, and now Norwegian have rejected the inpersonmuster as being a less effective way of training?

27 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

There's no reason to answer your pointless questions.  

Perhaps you'd care to answer why Royal, Carnival, and now Norwegian have rejected the inpersonmuster as being a less effective way of training?

Well, let's see.  Was the first point made about NCL returning to the e-muster in their "operational update" quoted a few posts up, that the change was made to "improve passenger safety"?  Nope.  "In an effort to enhance the onboard guest experience" is the major point they presented.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, let's see.  Was the first point made about NCL returning to the e-muster in their "operational update" quoted a few posts up, that the change was made to "improve passenger safety"?  Nope.  "In an effort to enhance the onboard guest experience" is the major point they presented.

So, exactly why do you oppose "efforts to enhance the onboard guest experience"?

Once again, the points guy lays it out, the inpersonmuster isn't about safety, it's about saving money.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-ship-muster-drill-changes-reasons/

BTW, you do realize that all the major cruise lines are moving away from the inpersonmuster because saves money and improves safety.

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

the e-muster drill is not providing the safety that should be required

They question isn’t whether e-muster provides the level of education you expect. The question is whether it does a worse job than in-person. I guess (just a guess) that if you asked people five days after an in-person muster drill what deck their muster station was on, a lot of them wouldn’t know. 

2 hours ago, farmecologist said:

Yep...the 'wet coughs' coughs increased daily and by the end of the cruise it was very noticeable.   

We did 'sensible' things to avoid catching whatever it was  ( masking, no elevators, staying away from crowded venues as much as we could, etc... ).  However, sometimes it was unavoidable...like the muster. 

And yeah...there was literally nobody masking except for us and a few other 'brave' souls.  Nobody cared at all about our masking though...other than a few strange looks.  I just winked at 'em...haha.  🤣    

Thanks ... we did exactly that on Regent and emerged unscathed!  I've never climbed more stairs in my life!  

We will mask up in the theater, the comedy club and whenever we get on/off/in a taxi ...

Totally agree on muster drill and I think that the cruise terminal in NYC will also assist in viral mixology!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

Come on guys…is this back and forth banter helping anyone on here? 

Take it someplace else please. 

Isn't this thread exactly the right place to debate muster drills?  If somebody doesn't want to read the various opinions, perhaps they're the ones in the wrong place.

• Like 1

I worked on the SS Norway back in the 90's. I couldn't even get people to listen to me when boarding tenders half the time, does anyone honestly think that in the case of a true emergency that people are going to proceed in a calm, orderly fashion, to their assigned muster stations?  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, sunkey1 said:

I worked on the SS Norway back in the 90's. I couldn't even get people to listen to me when boarding tenders half the time, does anyone honestly think that in the case of a true emergency that people are going to proceed in a calm, orderly fashion, to their assigned muster stations?  🤣

1 hour ago, wcook said:

They question isn’t whether e-muster provides the level of education you expect. The question is whether it does a worse job than in-person. I guess (just a guess) that if you asked people five days after an in-person muster drill what deck their muster station was on, a lot of them wouldn’t know. 

IOW, the inpersonmuster is highly ineffective.

28 minutes ago, sunkey1 said:

Exactly what does the inpersonmuster accomplish that will correct this.

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

IOW, the inpersonmuster is highly ineffective.

Exactly what does the inpersonmuster accomplish that will correct this.

Not a thing, that was my point. Even having an in-person, walk to your muster station and hear the speech drill, try on life jackets, is not going to guarantee any kind of civility and calm when an actual emergency occurs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sunkey1 said:

Even having an in-person, walk to your muster station and hear the speech drill, try on life jackets, is not going to guarantee any kind of civility and calm when an actual emergency occurs.

Thank you.  It's nice to add some logic to the mix.

1 hour ago, sunkey1 said:

More to the point, how many people would go to their actual muster point anyway??  Based on the "me first" mentality I often see, many will head to the nearest lifeboat they see, not to the theater or restaurant that's their muster station.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunkey1 said:

It will look something like this

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LloydJr said:

Isn't this thread exactly the right place to debate muster drills?  If somebody doesn't want to read the various opinions, perhaps they're the ones in the wrong place.

Debating is one thing 11 pages of back and forth arguing and unhelpful posts between 2 people is another and it’s far from being a helpful debate. It’s childish. 

I’ve been here since 2009 I’m not in the wrong place.
There are social media platforms full of stuff like this…Cruise Critic is much classier than them all. 

• Haha 2

On 2/5/2023 at 10:13 AM, fyrmrs said:

Have heard NCL is the only company going back to in-person muster drills. Anyone experience this and how was it?

It was horrible  almost an hour and we got covid most likely from the elbow to elbow people in Cagneys 

• Haha 1