In-person muster drills?

fyrmrs

On 2/15/2023 at 10:21 PM, RocketMan275 said:

It isn't the passengers responsibility to function as training aides for the crew.

The training of the crew always takes place without any passengers.they are training every possible emergency.Usually they do it on a port day where most passengers are off the ship so that the impacts on the passenger services are as low as possible.

the muster drill for the passengers functions almost only for the passengers,not the crew.

Edited by CruiseMH

2 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

The training of the crew always takes place without any passengers.they are training every possible emergency.Usually they do it on a port day where most passengers are off the ship so that the impacts on the passenger services are as low as possible.

the muster drill for the passengers functions almost only for the passengers,not the crew.

I agree.  

Edited by RocketMan275

5 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

The crew fire and boat drills do require near complete participation from the crew, but those who are tasked with guiding passengers to muster, and searching the ship (both of which are integral parts of the "fire and general emergency" drill when the signal sounds (the signal that passengers believe is the "abandon ship" signal), are only done in simulation to not affect passenger service.

The passenger muster drill uses several hundred crew, many of which the passengers never see, because their job starts as the passengers are moving to muster, and they are clearing the ship behind the passengers.  This is vital interaction between the crew, in emergency "mode", and the passengers to work as a team to save life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Our resident expert on muster drills claims the muster drill is to teach the passengers to follow orders.

Convenient that you don't mention the other aspects of the drill, that I've repeated for you several times.  Also interesting that someone who has experience in military training has what appears to be a low regard for a chain of command, and proper response to emergency conditions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Convenient that you don't mention the other aspects of the drill, that I've repeated for you several times.  Also interesting that someone who has experience in military training has what appears to be a low regard for a chain of command, and proper response to emergency conditions.

I have a very high regard for a chain of command.

I have a very low regard for the inpersonmuster drill which features safety lectures you can't hear and demonstrations you can't see.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

And, again, the same old complaint against the in person muster, that I have told you does not need to be a part of the muster drill.

I think there’s an idealized muster drill where people first watch the safety video at their leisure, then everybody goes to their muster station at the same time, where everything is well organized. But right now, no cruise line does such a thing. We are offered a choice between group mustering with disorganized safety lesson, and emuster. Of the two, I vote for emuster. 

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

And, again, the same old complaint against the in person muster, that I have told you does not need to be a part of the muster drill.

The emuster is sufficient to demonstrate an ability to find the correct muster station.

The video is sufficient to train in how to put on a life jacket.

IOW, the inpersonmuster is outdated and NCL should follow Royal and Carnival lead, ie, the emuster.

The muster drill on the Joy today was organized and quick. Mine was held in the theater...started promptly at 3:30 and was completed at 3:41. The passengers were quiet and respectful to the crew and everything could be seen and heard. Such a non issue for all this drama and bickering.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The emuster is sufficient to demonstrate an ability to find the correct muster station.

Let me ask you this question.  On their first day on the ship, the crew are shown where their muster station is, both for "fire and emergency" and "abandon ship" (most have two different stations).  Since in an abandon ship situation, the vast majority of the crew don't have any more responsibility than passengers during their muster, that is, to be mustered and to board the life rafts, according to your model, the first day orientation meets the objective of the muster ("finding your muster station"), and therefore the practice of having the entire crew participate in the abandon ship drill is outdated and a waste of the crew's time?  The "finding of your muster station" is not the objective of the muster drill.  

May you never find yourself in a real shipboard emergency, when you learn that there rarely is any method of "escape", that doesn't also threaten your life.

6 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

The muster drill on the Joy today was organized and quick. Mine was held in the theater...started promptly at 3:30 and was completed at 3:41. The passengers were quiet and respectful to the crew and everything could be seen and heard. Such a non issue for all this drama and bickering.

Yes, Disney started back with the in person drill before NCL, and you don't hear all the outrage about it on their forum.  It's the ones who don't want to "waste my precious vacation time" who are all arguing against it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

That is wonder to hear. Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Let me ask you this question.  On their first day on the ship, the crew are shown where their muster station is, both for "fire and emergency" and "abandon ship" (most have two different stations).  Since in an abandon ship situation, the vast majority of the crew don't have any more responsibility than passengers during their muster, that is, to be mustered and to board the life rafts, according to your model, the first day orientation meets the objective of the muster ("finding your muster station"), and therefore the practice of having the entire crew participate in the abandon ship drill is outdated and a waste of the crew's time?  The "finding of your muster station" is not the objective of the muster drill.  

No, the inpersonmuster drill is outdated and a waste of time.

Clearly, the emuster drill meets the requirements of the muster drill since the two largest cruise lines continue to conduct the emuster.

18 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

No, the inpersonmuster drill is outdated and a waste of time.

Clearly, the emuster drill meets the requirements of the muster drill since the two largest cruise lines continue to conduct the emuster.

Never answered the question.

On 2/5/2023 at 10:38 AM, JIMESOPUS said:

Just off the BA  ( 1/29/23 ), here is something to view ( I'm not a subscriber to his channel ), exactly what what we experienced the week before his cruise. Total chaos and confusion.

We were just getting ready to pull the trigger on the May 20th sailing out of Canaveral on the Getaway but have decided to use another line due to this very review (lack of bartenders, room attention and the in person muster drill) Too many other choices available.

11 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Unfortunately on 12 NCL cruises that has not been the norm. A few cruises I have been on the muster drill last 30 minutes. 100% of the reason was due to passengers coming in late or who were not able to shut up for 10 minutes. Only a handful lasted 10 minutes or less

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thomasale said:

We were just getting ready to pull the trigger on the May 20th sailing out of Canaveral on the Getaway but have decided to use another line due to this very review (lack of bartenders, room attention and the in person muster drill) Too many other choices available.

That's a great choice. Have fun. No need to provide input on this thread any longer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thomasale said:

Wow, you actually based your choice on a video from someone whose sole purpose in posting videos is to get clicks and followers?  Interesting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

You didn't like the answer.

No, you answered whether you thought the passenger muster drill met the objective of the drill.  I asked, based on your model, whether the crew drill should be done similarly to the e-muster, since that meets the objective of the drill, and whether doing a weekly in person crew drill was a "waste of the troops time".

On 2/5/2023 at 4:00 PM, zgscl said:

Ironically the people who show up late are rewarded as they don't have to stand in the crowded room for half an hour waiting for themselves to show up. 

Bundle handing out tender tickets along with the muster and voila!   Problem solved 😀

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2023 at 3:17 PM, complawyer said:

i wasnt going  to chime in on this one, but it seems to be getting away from everyone.  we were just on the jewel, and they had the in person muster drill. about 20 minutes of non-stop babbling in english, then another 20 in spanish. it was a great way to catch a few zzz's. 

obviously, i preferred the video (since we ere forced to watch it while checking in anyway,

but i can concede a few minutes of my time prior to sailing to listen to what they have to say. by the way, our muster point was in o'sheehan's, with no problem hearing the entire spiel.

I'm surprised.  I would have thought Jewel is old enough to still have a wide promenade deck where they would do the "under lifeboat" muster.

Our drill on Saturday on Getaway was easy.  30 mins they gave us a warning. We headed down to the theater. Check in and sat down. Talked to the head station crew while she checked people in. 15 out they gave another warning. 

It started on time and lasted 10-14 mintues.  Total time for is was 35-40 mintues, but could have easily come on later (but on time) to cut down they time.

Admittedly our location had good seating and sound system. Other muster stations might not have been as comfortable.

We see our head muster crew all the time. It was nice to get to meet her.  I guess we make the most of a situation.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

No, you answered whether you thought the passenger muster drill met the objective of the drill.  I asked, based on your model, whether the crew drill should be done similarly to the e-muster, since that meets the objective of the drill, and whether doing a weekly in person crew drill was a "waste of the troops time".

Train the crew however you wish as long as you're not coopting the  passengers to be training aids.