In-person muster drills?

fyrmrs

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Somehow, I trust Royal Caribbean and Carnival to know more about relative costs between emuster and inpersonmuster.  After all, those cruise lines success or failure is dependent upon how well they manage costs.  

The Points Guy has a proven track record of analyzing relative costs between alternatives too.

Thanks for fighting the good fight. Rest assured there are MANY of us that are in 100% agreement with you but we simply don't want to deal with the muster police that feel their views are superior to everyone else's so most remain quiet. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Somehow, I trust Royal Caribbean and Carnival to know more about relative costs between emuster and inpersonmuster.  After all, those cruise lines success or failure is dependent upon how well they manage costs.  

The Points Guy has a proven track record of analyzing relative costs between alternatives too.

In these days of massive cutbacks and huge debts for the cruise industry, these lines went for the more expensive alternative. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

• Like 3

Last two cruises did virtual muster drill.  Watched the video every time I got a reminder, sure it wasn't necessary but just wanted to make sure we were doing right.  Have been on over 20 cruises on NCL, the in-person muster drill, shoulder to shoulder with people CROWDED, standing room only, is quite the way to start a cruise while Covid still present.  We will as always follow the rules, our next cruise is March, we will get to muster station early, so hopefully will get a seat and have masks on!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, asmit4 said:

Thanks for fighting the good fight. Rest assured there are MANY of us that are in 100% agreement with you but we simply don't want to deal with the muster police that feel their views are superior to everyone else's so most remain quiet. 

Then  you need to ensure  your views are included in  your responses to the post cruise survey.  That matters far more than responding to the muster police.

• Like 1

While not on the scale of a cruise ship, I have personally been involved and witnessed/assisted in water emergencies.  I think people underestimate the need for a well trained and calm crew.  Like it or not, sometimes that training comes in the form of in-person  drills.

While working as crew and eventually getting my captain's license,  I had to take crowd control classes.  As much as I learned in the class, I learned way more out in the field. In my opinion, medical emergencies, abandoning ship and fire fighting were all easier than crowd control.   And the most I had to do was 50 people, 4000+ is mind blowing to me.

I feel like a lot of complaints right now will sort themselves as the crew becomes more comfortable with their roles. Some things like passengers taking their time and talking over instruction will never change because the general public can suck sometimes and I honestly think they do it because they know it's not real.  At least in my experience, in real emergencies people tend to be quieter and listen to instruction better, but there are some others who go into panic mode and others are just always a-holes.  Drills help crew deal with those issues.

Personally, I would prefer to waste 30-60 minutes of my time so the crew can become more comfortable in their roles in case we have a real emergency.    But that's just me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, sailorusvi said:

Personally, I would prefer to waste 30-60 minutes of my time so the crew can become more comfortable in their roles in case we have a real emergency.    But that's just me.

I will happily sacrifice an hour of my time to ensure the crew has some training...but I'm afraid I may go full Karen if the crew tries to shush me or funnel me into an area before the actual presentation begins. Tony's video (as mentioned above) definitely does not seem to bode well for the experience. But, I'm sure all will be well and I'll be having a yummy dinner not too long after the drill. I'll just think of shrimp and filet. We can survive this people! 

16 minutes ago, sailorusvi said:

Personally, I would prefer to waste 30-60 minutes of my time so the crew can become more comfortable in their roles in case we have a real emergency. 

It's not just the waste of time.  On the Sky two weeks ago, we were crammed into rows of people, side by side on the deck.  Probably close to a hundred people forced to stand for 45 minutes in a very tight formation.  Easily the highest risk of Covid exposure during our entire vacation as well as the most unpleasant time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I will happily sacrifice an hour of my time to ensure the crew has some training...but I'm afraid I may go full Karen if the crew tries to shush me 

I think this is one of the items that can be worked out over time as the crew gets use to them again.  He was on the first one, I'm not surprised things weren't running smoothly.   

or funnel me into an area before the actual presentation begins.

getting 4000+ people to a muster station takes time.   Some areas are going to be ready before others. I'm not sure the sweet spot to send people to an area.

That said, I absolutely think they could improve the process. Maybe when a section is ready they can begin?  I'm not sure the answer, but agree a task force should be assembled to make improvements while not watering down the drill.

Edited by sailorusvi

17 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

He has a track record but not sure what is "proven". I've been following him for years and over that time I've come to trust his analysis less and less and I believe these words at the top of his pages explains why:  "This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. "

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The went with the most effective way of conducting emergency training.

They went with the type of drill that they felt would not get passenger complaints.

You may not believe this, but I am not looking forward (except for actually being on the Prima) for our muster, but I realize it is for the safety of all the passengers including me and my DW.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustAllie said:

Folks who are worried about crowding during COVID should probably wear their highest-quality mask to the muster drill. It certainly seems like one time when it's clearly warranted.

agree.    I do not generally wear masks these days, but even I'm considering it during the drill.

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It's not just the waste of time.  On the Sky two weeks ago, we were crammed into rows of people, side by side on the deck.  Probably close to a hundred people forced to stand for 45 minutes in a very tight formation.  Easily the highest risk of Covid exposure during our entire vacation as well as the most unpleasant time.

So, side by side on an open air deck is worse then side by side in a theater with a thousand people watching a show for 45 minutes to an hour. I understand the dislike of in person boat drill, but please don't use the Covid excuse to complain. If being in close proximity to others for extended periods of time you would simply not cruise. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I will happily sacrifice an hour of my time to ensure the crew has some training...but I'm afraid I may go full Karen if the crew tries to shush me or funnel me into an area before the actual presentation begins. Tony's video (as mentioned above) definitely does not seem to bode well for the experience. But, I'm sure all will be well and I'll be having a yummy dinner not too long after the drill. I'll just think of shrimp and filet. We can survive this people! 

HAHA!! I am pretty much guaranteed to get a kick out of your posts, so thank you!  We were just on Escape, ultra full muster in Manhattan Room, waiting forever for those who chose to arrive whenever they darn well felt like it.  How about if they force us to do this, they have us report to our station as soon as we get onboard, get our card scanned, watch someone do the life jacket routine (not saying it's not important) and be on our way?  nvm...just a silly thought.

26 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

So, side by side on an open air deck is worse then side by side in a theater with a thousand people watching a show for 45 minutes to an hour. I understand the dislike of in person boat drill, but please don't use the Covid excuse to complain. If being in close proximity to others for extended periods of time you would simply not cruise. 

We were packed a WHOLE lot tighter during that stupid muster drill than I've ever been in a theater.  Add to that the fact that I actually get something in return for taking that "risk" in a theater with good entertainment.  I walked away from the muster with nothing other than a few Covid particles/droplets/whatever spreads that crap.  I'm not personally worried about Covid exposure because the world is already full of that stuff; but others are really nervous about it and NCL doesn't  seem to acknowledge that.  As a shareholder, I demand that they focus more on the customer's concerns!!! (okay, that last part was not really serious)

On 2/5/2023 at 5:11 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:I'm really struggling to understand what part of that exercise made any of us more safe.  I actually benefit more from the forced video on the TV because I can understand what they are saying and nobody else is drowning (no pun intended) them out.  IMHO, it's time to move on in the interests of both safety and passenger comfort/enjoyment.  Perhaps the decision makers who come up with these drills (NCL, regulators, etc.) should attend one or two to see what they really consist of.

The only advantage that comes to my mind is that it might develop some muscle memory of having actually stood in the area where you would be expected to gather in the event of an actual emergency.

2 hours ago, wolft927 said:

So, side by side on an open air deck is worse then side by side in a theater with a thousand people watching a show for 45 minutes to an hour. 

Musters I've been too I have been far more packed in with people than any other venue, anywhere (land or sea).  And unlike the theatre, I can't leave the muster if I have someone coughing and sneezing show up behind me.  And I wish @ChiefMateJRKdidn't mention Covid.  It's not just Covid, it's flu and whatever other virus or bacteria you've brought with you from your side of the world.

As was stated, some people need to be concerned about these things.  Generally on cruise ships you can avoid the crowds (we did on a rather full Encore in November).  The in person muster, especially if they are doing the lineup on deck means you can't avoid it.  

• Like 2

Just got off the Joy on Sunday. We did an in person muster drill but different from past experiences. We still had to watch the safety video during the online checkin but were notified when boarding that we needed to meet. The lifeboat deck on the Joy is much narrower that other boats we have been on so all muster stations are inside. Ours was at the Local. We had to have our cards scanned and yes it was packed. There was safety info given on the PA and one staff per station demonstrated the life vest. Again, it was crowded but nothing like the elevators. Full capacity cruise.

We were on the Escape in November and did the other Muster Drill by just checking into the Manhattan. It was easy and took very little time. Throughout the day we heard announcements for people to go to their Muster Drill and check in. This announcement was over and over. 

I blame the irresponsible people who disregarded the convenience of doing the Muster Drill that way. Norwegian had no choice for returning to the “old” way. I don’t blame Norwegian for returning back to this. It was the Entitled Irresponsible cruisers that did this to everybody!!!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Royals Carol said:

We were on the Escape in November and did the other Muster Drill by just checking into the Manhattan. It was easy and took very little time. Throughout the day we heard announcements for people to go to their Muster Drill and check in. This announcement was over and over. 

I blame the irresponsible people who disregarded the convenience of doing the Muster Drill that way. Norwegian had no choice for returning to the “old” way. I don’t blame Norwegian for returning back to this. It was the Entitled Irresponsible cruisers that did this to everybody!!!

Norwegian had the same choice about muster drills as did Royal and Carnival.  Royal and Carnival opted to keep the emuster.  NCL opted to return to the inpersonmuster in order to save money.

7 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Norwegian had the same choice about muster drills as did Royal and Carnival.  Royal and Carnival opted to keep the emuster.  NCL opted to return to the inpersonmuster in order to save money.

Royal and Carnival also found ways to avoid the lack of mustering by making sure pax visited their muster stations as soon as they boarded. They also looked for creative ways to incentivize people to comply; like no drinks until mustered. Norwegian took the easy way out and will suffer from the bad customer response.