In-person muster drills?

fyrmrs

Some of the posts in this thread have to be the most moronic, absurd, and laughable tin foil hat comments ever made on line anywhere.  NCL is going to in person muster drills to save money!  I laughed so hard I darn near peed my pants.  Thanks for the chuckles folks.  This has to be the best thread ever on these forums!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Some of the posts in this thread have to be the most moronic, absurd, and laughable tin foil hat comments ever made on line anywhere.  NCL is going to in person muster drills to save money!  I laughed so hard I darn near peed my pants.  Thanks for the chuckles folks.  This has to be the best thread ever on these forums!

I think you're being too kind...  However thanks for expressing my thoughts...

Edited by davencl

16 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I think even more morainic are the claims that Carnival is spending more on the new e-muster. Maybe they should save that money and instead spend more on staffing and food. 🤣

49 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I think even more morainic are the claims that Carnival is spending more on the new e-muster. Maybe they should save that money and instead spend more on staffing and food. 🤣

Obviously, Carnival and Royal Caribbean are willing to pay more to improve passenger safety through the emuster.  Instead, NCL is willing to sacrifice passenger safety to save money.  

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Obviously, Carnival and Royal Caribbean are willing to pay more to improve passenger safety through the emuster.  Instead, NCL is willing to sacrifice passenger safety to save money.  

Please show me some facts to back this up.  I don't willingly accept statements as being correct or accurate, without some facts to back them up, though you seem fully invested in the Points Guy's assertions.  Just like I won't jump on the blame wagon and criticize a cruise line that has a fire onboard, until I see the facts, not hearsay.

When Carnival Corp corporate executives and legal team said they weren't polluting, I guess you believed that as well.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thank you for expressing your opinion in a professional manner without referring to those who hold a different opinion as "morons."  I believe that your background has taught you how to take the high road and not get sucked into using such juvenile references.  Wouldn't it be nice if others could do the same?😎

9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Please show me some facts to back this up.  I don't willingly accept statements as being correct or accurate, without some facts to back them up, though you seem fully invested in the Points Guy's assertions.  Just like I won't jump on the blame wagon and criticize a cruise line that has a fire onboard, until I see the facts, not hearsay.

When Carnival Corp corporate executives and legal team said they weren't polluting, I guess you believed that as well.

You have no facts to back up your assertions that inpersonmuster drills increase passenger safety over emuster drills.  At least I can point to a credible source for my claims.   

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thank you for expressing your opinion in a professional manner without referring to those who hold a different opinion as "morons."  I believe that your background has taught you how to take the high road and not get sucked into using such juvenile references.  Wouldn't it be nice if others could do the same?😎

Thank you.

There are those who believe name-calling is a viable alternative to presenting facts.

All name-calling does is demonstrate a lack of facts to support their positions.  

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You have no facts to back up your assertions that inpersonmuster drills increase passenger safety over emuster drills.  At least I can point to a credible source for my claims.   

And, I can point to the IMO, which did not give the e-muster full approval, as it is unproven procedure.  I can point to the number of shipboard emergencies where the passenger muster went off without a flaw, using the in person drill procedure.

And, what really gets me, is that the vast majority of complaints about going back to the in person drill are from those who haven't done it yet.  Look at the Disney board, you don't see a peep about the drill.

And, yeah, I'll sign off here, even though you're pushing of the Points Guy opinion can lead to misinformation.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

Alternate opinion: The amount of “safety” that is added by any muster drill is approximately zero. For the passengers at least (it may help the crew.) 

We can all have opinions on which is better, but the idea that one is measurably and demonstratively better… not buying it. 

Edited by wcook
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, wcook said:

Alternate opinion: The amount of “safety” that is added by any muster drill is approximately zero. For the passengers at least (it may help the crew.) 

We can all have opinions on which is better, but the idea that one is measurably and demonstratively better… not buying it. 

I highly disagree and it is simple logic.  If you hold the drill at the exact place you are supposed to head to in a real emergency and go through the drill there, it is much more likely that folks will remember where to go as opposed to simply walking by and giving your name to some guy with a clipboard checking off names.  It's not like we are talking much time anyway.  Go to the assigned area, listen to the spiel, then go enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I don't recall anyone calling anyone else a moron.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, what really gets me, is that the vast majority of complaints about going back to the in person drill are from those who haven't done it yet.

I did it on the Sky in January and it was not only a complete waste of my time, but somewhat unpleasant (packed in like rats, ordered where to stand, etc.).  Yeah, I'm sure the safety "experts" are convinced that this made me safer despite my experience, but isn't that just how "experts" are?

4 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I don't recall anyone calling anyone else a moron.

18 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Some of the posts in this thread have to be the most moronic,

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I think even more morainic

Really?  Maybe you need to get your computer checked out.🤣

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I highly disagree and it is simple logic.  If you hold the drill at the exact place you are supposed to head to in a real emergency and go through the drill there, it is much more likely that folks will remember where to go as opposed to simply walking by and giving your name to some guy with a clipboard checking off names.  It's not like we are talking much time anyway.  Go to the assigned area, listen to the spiel, then go enjoy your cruise.

that's the problem. 

You can't 'listen to the spiel' because you can't even hear the 'spiel'.

Nor can  you even see the 'demonstration'.

If you can't see or hear the training then it does not increase safety.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

You have that exactly backwards! 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Let's see. On one side we have someone who has spent years in a responsible position doing these drills. On the other side we have a "journalist who is dependent on money from the advertisers he is writing about.

I know which one I find more credible.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Let's see. On one side we have someone who has spent years in a responsible position doing these drills. On the other side we have a "journalist who is dependent on money from the advertisers he is writing about.

I know which one I find more credible.

One one side, we have The Points Guy who has every incentive to post the most accurate information.  His credibility is on the line with each article he posts. 

On the other side we have ...

Yeah, I'm sure the safety "experts" are convinced that this made me safer despite my experience, but isn't that just how "experts" are?

So, Underwriters Labs are just wrong?  How about the IIHS?  Consumer Products Safety Administration?  National Fire Safety Council?  Which experts do you believe and which don't you?  Is it that those who make your life "uncomfortable" are not believable?

I did it on the Sky in January and it was not only a complete waste of my time, but somewhat unpleasant (packed in like rats, ordered where to stand, etc.).

You'll notice I said the vast majority, not all.  Question for you, was the drill better, the same, or worse than the in person drills pre-covid?  Did you do an outdoor in person muster before covid?

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

At least I can point to a credible source for my claims.   

I must have missed this, who is this "credible source"?  (Please don't point me to The Points Guy.  TPG is about as credible as his current advertisers)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Calling the posts moronic doesn't allow you to skate on the reasonable implication that the moronic post was written by a moron.

Ok quick question, is there anyone here that has been through SOLAS training? Anyone here work onboard a Cruise Ship or an ocean vessel with the same soles onboard? I understand everyone has opinions I’m just curious is there anyone with first hand experience 

51 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

One one side, we have The Points Guy who has every incentive to post the most accurate information.  His credibility is on the line with each article he posts. 

On the other side we have ...

On one side we have someone experienced at conducting drills. On the other side, we have someone totally dependent for his income on his advertisers and is dependent on clicks. But of course everything you read on the internet is 100% true. 🤦‍♂️

Gee, the Points Guy said Carnival said the Coast Guard said. That is not even second hand information; it is third hand.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

Ok quick question, is there anyone here that has been through SOLAS training? Anyone here work onboard a Cruise Ship or an ocean vessel with the same soles onboard? I understand everyone has opinions I’m just curious is there anyone with first hand experience 

Hmmm, calling @chengkp75