In-person muster drills?

fyrmrs

On 2/5/2023 at 10:13 AM, fyrmrs said:

Have heard NCL is the only company going back to in-person muster drills. Anyone experience this and how was it?

They have started back up.  I believe that at least one other cruise line has as well.  They are the same as in the past.  A quick outline of what to do in an emergency and you are done.  I am actually glad they started this back.  The only folks who complain are the professional complainers who look for every opportunity to whine and moan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

Not a thing, that was my point. Even having an in-person, walk to your muster station and hear the speech drill, try on life jackets, is not going to guarantee any kind of civility and calm when an actual emergency occurs.

Whiel I am all in favor of thr in person drills, nothing can guarantee that.

6 hours ago, styles27 said:

The only places I’m seeing this announcement so far are on social media forums and CC. 

Cannot find any information about the update on NCL’s site or by doing a simple google search. 

We’re cruising 04/07/2023 and would expect an email to be sent if this is indeed happening effective 04/01/2023. 

Whats your email address?

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

IOW, the inpersonmuster is highly ineffective.

Exactly what does the inpersonmuster accomplish that will correct this.

What will the e-muster do to correct this?

Do you have any proof of its effectiveness? There is at least experience with the old style muster, for example the Start Princess fire.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

What will the e-muster do to correct this?

Do you have any proof of its effectiveness? There is at least experience with the old style muster, for example the Start Princess fire.

Royal and Carnival think it's more effective.

"Over the past four years, many cruise lines have switched from in-person muster drills to e-mustering, calling it a major improvement for passenger comfort while also a better way to do safety briefings from a safety point of view."

"The world's two biggest cruise brands, Royal Caribbean and Carnival Cruise Line, have both said in recent days that they would continue offering e-muster safety briefings on ships, suggesting that it was an innovation of recent years that enhanced passenger safety."

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-ship-muster-drill-changes-reasons/

As I've stated repeatedly, and you've just reinforced, the attractiveness of the inpersonmuster is "We've always done it that way."

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Royal and Carnival think it's more effective.

"Over the past four years, many cruise lines have switched from in-person muster drills to e-mustering, calling it a major improvement for passenger comfort while also a better way to do safety briefings from a safety point of view."

"The world's two biggest cruise brands, Royal Caribbean and Carnival Cruise Line, have both said in recent days that they would continue offering e-muster safety briefings on ships, suggesting that it was an innovation of recent years that enhanced passenger safety."

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-ship-muster-drill-changes-reasons/

As I've stated repeatedly, and you've just reinforced, the attractiveness of the inpersonmuster is "We've always done it that way."

Your post is not on topic for asking Mr. Del Rio, but I will correct it anyway. Carnival and Royal Caribbean have disregarded safety because they know in general passengers do not think of it and are not willing to pit up with a small amount of discomfort.

I was asking why when NCL cared about safety and training did they cave in on this.

Just now, ontheweb said:

Your post is not on topic for asking Mr. Del Rio, but I will correct it anyway. Carnival and Royal Caribbean have disregarded safety because they know in general passengers do not think of it and are not willing to pit up with a small amount of discomfort.

I was asking why when NCL cared about safety and training did they cave in on this.

My post has nothing to do with asking Del Rio anything so you have nothing to correct.

No, Carnival and Royal decided the emuster improved safety.

NCL chose to save money by returning to the inpersonmuster at the expense of passenger safety.

Standing in ranks, attending a safety presentation that one cannot hear nor view, does not in any fashion enhance passenger safety.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

They have started back up.  I believe that at least one other cruise line has as well.  They are the same as in the past.  A quick outline of what to do in an emergency and you are done.  I am actually glad they started this back.  The only folks who complain are the professional complainers who look for every opportunity to whine and moan.

So, if my opinion differs from yours, I’m a professional complainer!! 🙄🙄

That’s “fake news”! 😉😎

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Standing in ranks, attending a safety presentation that one cannot hear nor view, does not in any fashion enhance passenger safety.  

It must be effective since nobody has died on an NCL ship for a long time (other than due to medical reasons or old age).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

My post has nothing to do with asking Del Rio anything so you have nothing to correct.

No, Carnival and Royal decided the emuster improved safety.

NCL chose to save money by returning to the inpersonmuster at the expense of passenger safety.

I apologize for the reference to asking Mr. Del Rio; I had just made a comment in the ask Frank Del Rio thread and thought you were quoting that post. MY BAD!

That does not change the fact that it was done not for safety, but for customer satisfaction. You conveniently leave out the crew training part of the muster drill and how that would affect safety in a real emergency situation.

11 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I apologize for the reference to asking Mr. Del Rio; I had just made a comment in the ask Frank Del Rio thread and thought you were quoting that post. MY BAD!

That does not change the fact that it was done not for safety, but for customer satisfaction. You conveniently leave out the crew training part of the muster drill and how that would affect safety in a real emergency situation.

No need to apologize.  I was just curious why you mentioned Del Rio.

As stated previously, there are multiple ways to provide better training for the crew that do not involve using passengers as training aids.  I see no need to go back through those ways.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

No need to apologize.  I was just curious why you mentioned Del Rio.

As stated previously, there are multiple ways to provide better training for the crew that do not involve using passengers as training aids.  I see no need to go back through those ways.

I guess I will not be arguing with you any more on this topic. I just told DW that NCL was the only cruise line that went back to the old traditional muster, but that they were going to the e-muster starting in April. Her reaction was good, I do not want to be standing so close to other people.

However, I still think the new procedure does not adequately train the crew what to do in a real muster situation. I guess I will just have to pray one does not on our cruise. I realize the probability is that there will not be a real emergency situation, but you buy insurance hoping you do not need it and similarly you hope the crew will be ready if an emergency situation does occur.

• Like 1

we've been going on and on about the pros and cons of emuster vs. in person muster and how effective either one might or might not be.

is this any more relevant to the safety briefing one gets for 5 minutes on an airplane? if youve ever flown more than once, or you have a flight with a change of planes, you go  through this every time.

in person or emuster, it's just a necessary evil that comes with sailing. when i watch the video, even though it's slightly  over a minute, i still cant wait for it to end.  same with in person. it's a chore that must be done.

so my bottom line is : just do it, get it over with (regardless of how it's presented) and get on with enjoying your cruise

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

However, I still think the new procedure does not adequately train the crew what to do in a real muster situation.

Compared to fighting a fire onboard😮, dealing with flooding below decks, a man overboard situation...herding their charges to the lifeboats is the easiest thing they would need do in an emergency. The in person muster drill does as much for the crew as the safety demo does for the flight attendants on an airplane - and that is nothing.

Stay onboard when the ship is in port - you will see there are always drills and training going on for the crew. They do it every single sailing of their contract. The muster drill is intended for the passengers, and the passengers only. As @RocketMan275 notes (emphasis mine)

On 3/20/2023 at 3:07 PM, RocketMan275 said:

I am personally glad to see NCL come to their senses and return to the e-muster👍

Edited by Brian V
clarity
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Brian V said:

Compared to fighting a fire onboard😮, dealing with flooding below decks, a man overboard situation...herding their charges to the lifeboats is the easiest thing they would need do in an emergency. The in person muster drill does as much for the crew as the safety demo does for the flight attendants on an airplane - and that is nothing.

Stay onboard when the ship is in port - you will see there are always drills and training going on for the crew. They do it every single sailing of their contract. The muster drill is intended for the passengers, and the passengers only. As @RocketMan275 notes (emphasis mine)

I am personally glad to see NCL come to their senses and return to the e-muster👍

@chengkp75 who spent his career as a chief engineer on cruise ships and conducted many drills does not agree with your opinion on the worth of the traditional muster for the crew.

And the traditional muster, unlike all the drills for the other things you mentioned, provides the only chance for the crew to do a drill with the actual passengers.

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

@chengkp75 who spent his career as a chief engineer on cruise ships and conducted many drills does not agree with your opinion on the worth of the traditional muster for the crew.

And the traditional muster, unlike all the drills for the other things you mentioned, provides the only chance for the crew to do a drill with the actual passengers.

I really don't care for the in-person drill, either, but I think it does provide one advantage - muscle memory.  At the very least, each passenger actually stands where they would need to be in the event of an actual emergency.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

I really don't care for the in-person drill, either, but I think it does provide one advantage - muscle memory.  At the very least, each passenger actually stands where they would need to be in the event of an actual emergency.

That's really reaching for a justification.

If would seem that finding the muster station for the emuster provides sufficient muscle memory.  BTW, on our last cruise, the muster station was the manhattan dining room.  I don't believe many passengers needed a lot of muscle memory to find the MDR.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 months later...
26 minutes ago, CindyJack said:

I’ve met some of the most wonderful people during in person muster drill 

🤷🏼‍♀️I kind of like it ☺️

I suggest you stand under neath a lifeboat until you satisfy this need while the rest of us spend time elsewhere.

• Haha 3

On the Sky this month we were routed to our muster station on embarkation.  The Sky is an older ship with the Muster stations on the promenade deck. When we boarded the boat we were told to go check into our muster station before we were allowed to go inside the ship.  It took about 30 seconds once we got to the right station.  Our cards were scanned and a sticker was applied to our key card.  

11 minutes ago, FitchburgWIFamily said:

On the Sky this month we were routed to our muster station on embarkation.  The Sky is an older ship with the Muster stations on the promenade deck. When we boarded the boat we were told to go check into our muster station before we were allowed to go inside the ship.  It took about 30 seconds once we got to the right station.  Our cards were scanned and a sticker was applied to our key card.  

That's the way it should be instead of forcing passengers to report to the muster station at the same time where a presentation is made that can't be seen or heard.  IOW, a complete waste of an hour of time standing shoulder to shoulder with a total disregard for the spread of disease.