Hair Tool Compatability

meghanb624

If you try to bring something electrical onboard, you may get pulled out of line and have to sait for it to be inspected. If nothing else, it would be embarrassing.  The ships are very strick about what you bring that may cause an electrical fire. You could call or write for a specific answer. 

If I remember correctly from a former chief engineer who comes on these board at times, the problem has something to do with ceramic heating elements and how they won't work on shipboard electrical systems. I believe one of the manufacturers was Dyson. But the commonality was the heating element.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

I've never heard of any problems with any US based hair tools.  All routine hairdryers/curling irons, etc are allowed and compatible with the electrical system.  What we DON'T do is to use our Euro plug adapter for anything other than USB  (DC) phone/electronics charging.  My wife always plugs any American hair tool directly into the US outlet. No problem.  Perhaps you simply had a bad connection.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jsglow said:

I've never heard of any problems with any US based hair tools.  All routine hairdryers/curling irons, etc are allowed and compatible with the electrical system.  What we DON'T do is to use our Euro plug adapter for anything other than USB  (DC) phone/electronics charging.  My wife always plugs any American hair tool directly into the US outlet. No problem.  Perhaps you simply had a bad connection.

There have been reports on various forums here, that Dyson products (digital motors) and ceramic heating element hair straighteners will sometimes work and sometimes not, on ships.  While I have not been able to get answers from the manufacturers, this is likely due to the electronics in the appliance requiring the neutral and ground to be at the same voltage, which is not the case with shipboard wiring systems.

I looked up the Revlon brush the OP mentioned, and found out that it has an "ALCI" test function.  This is an "appliance leakage current interrupter", which is like a ground fault circuit breaker that detects an imbalance of current, and do not work on the shipboard wiring systems that have separate grounds from the power conductors.

For the OP, generally, any device with an ALCI "block" (with a "test" and "reset" button) will possibly work sometimes, and possibly not work sometimes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, hapytobehr said:

The flat irons must have "dual voltage"  then they will work.

You can purchase them on amazon and it specifies that they will work on cruise ships, etc.

No, they won't, necessarily.  The dual voltage capability only allows you to choose which outlet (US or European) that you plug into.  Please link me to one that specifies it will work on cruise ships, I'd like to research.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I looked up the Revlon brush the OP mentioned, and found out that it has an "ALCI" test function.  This is an "appliance leakage current interrupter", which is like a ground fault circuit breaker that detects an imbalance of current, and do not work on the shipboard wiring systems that have separate grounds from the power conductors.

Does anyone know which ship do and which ships don't?

I have one of those Revlon brushes and it has worked on every ship I have taken it on.  I have not been on any Excel class ship yet, though.

10 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Does anyone know which ship do and which ships don't?

I have one of those Revlon brushes and it has worked on every ship I have taken it on.  I have not been on any Excel class ship yet, though.

It's not some ships it will work on, and some it won't.  On any given ship, if there is a ground fault in any electrical equipment anywhere on the ship, it can cause the hair dryer to not work.  These ground faults come and go, as they show up, and are repaired.

• Like 1

I have 25 Carnival cruises under my belt. I’ve never had a problem with curling iron on any ship other than the Mardi Gras. 
Based on other’s experiences, I brought an older model non-ceramic  curling iron on my next Mardi Gras cruise and it worked.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just got off the Mardi Gras and could not use my L'ange hair straightner without having the non surge adapter, thank goodness I decided to buy one.  I took all recommendations and looked at what others had bought , and my plug was only the 2 plug, and would not even plug in directly to the outlet.

• Thanks 1

I had read many people saying their 'better' irons didn't work, so I purchased a cheap one and brought it and my better one on our first Mardi Gras trip (the cheap one worked despite it saying it was ceramic and my better one did not).  The cheap one is shown below.  It has now worked on the Mardi Gras (twice), the Sunrise and the Conquest.  My better one is a HotTools one that cost about $100 (sorry I don't recall the model on that one).

image.thumb.png.fdce54a1fc05765e4464ea38cf0a262d.png

• Like 1

I had read about the ceramic plate flat irons not working on the Mardi Gras, but mine had shiny metal plates so I figured it would work. Nope. My hair looked ridiculous all week, especially on formal night. 😂😂 The brand was Babyliss and I’ve used it on several ships both before and after the MG. Just don’t want you to be fooled into thinking a non-ceramic will work, because it might not. 

On 2/15/2023 at 6:37 AM, KaiBlue said:

I had read many people saying their 'better' irons didn't work, so I purchased a cheap one and brought it and my better one on our first Mardi Gras trip (the cheap one worked despite it saying it was ceramic and my better one did not).  The cheap one is shown below.  It has now worked on the Mardi Gras (twice), the Sunrise and the Conquest.  My better one is a HotTools one that cost about $100 (sorry I don't recall the model on that one).

image.thumb.png.fdce54a1fc05765e4464ea38cf0a262d.png

Hello!  Interestingly enough, I brought that same cheap curling iron and it didn’t work for me on the Mardi Gras.  So the next time I’m Mardi Gras, I brought a different cheap travel iron and it did work. What did you have the Conair one plugged into? Just the outlet? Or into an adapter?

Edited by Momma1980

5 hours ago, Momma1980 said:

Hello!  Interestingly enough, I brought that same cheap curling iron and it didn’t work for me on the Mardi Gras.  So the next time I’m Mardi Gras, I brought a different cheap travel iron and it did work. What did you have the Conair one plugged into? Just the outlet? Or into an adapter?

Just the outlet that was in the cabin (not the bathroom).  Really strange!  Now you have me worried:) I'd be a mess without my iron.  For me, the iron helps control my curls a bit in front.  But I've heard of people saying they went to guest services who have one they could borrow -if I was desperate enough I'd definitely try that. 

6 hours ago, Vacationdreamer<>< said:

Does anyone know about a Dyson Airwrap?

I’m going to be on Elation. Thank you. 

I've seen reports of some who had them work, and some who didn't.  It is not ship specific, it is what is happening on the ship at the time that determines.

• Like 1