Way to many things being done for me/to me when getting seated at a Regent Restaurant.

irishwitchy

13 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

I think that when we are asked on these discussion boards if the passengers are easy going and fun to be around and invariably the responses are that 99% of them are great and just a very small percentage come across as privileged and entitled. Just sayin’

We've identified the 1 % here!    

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I like your proposed approach, but based on the borderline hostile comments, we are in a minority. 

3 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

Well,  at least there is one person that feels the same way, as I do.  Yes, the hand bag is needed for the phone, room key, glasses and teeth picks (food gets stuck in there).  I also collect the cork of the wine I drink.  Since, one of gifts that Regent gives out with Regent points is a purse hook - lots of people must use a hand bag! 

….

Glad, I started a new topic and new folks jumped in with their opinions.  

Add one more to the minority and I haven’t even been on my first Regent cruise yet! I dislike this type of fussing anywhere. I will definitely (& politely) make my preferences known. They can fuss over my 80yo mom and my 16yo daughter!  Thanks for the heads!

P.S. And I’m glad you started a new post…this is the slowest board on CC. 🥱

• Thanks 1

irishwichy:  

Now, you have gone too far!  And, frankly, this Thread has run out of string.

Actually, there are seven Waffle Houses in New Jersey.  We have visited several over the past 20 years when visiting relatives and friends.  Great service; clean napkins.  Attentive service with lots of options.  Good coffee, which is most-important.  

Such a problem; so simple a solution to your concerns--as has been pointed out in early Posts. 

Reminds me--going way, way back--to a long-running series of "Rube Goldberg" cartoons in the 50s.  Goldberg pictured a complex series of physical actions required to complete a simple exercise. 

Like:  About 20 intermediate physical steps/actions required to--open a refrigerator door; or, toast a piece of bread; or how to start your car. 

Let us now return to reality.  

Take care, all, and hope to see some of you this May at NYC aboard Navigator.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

GOARMY,  please let me know where those waffle houses are located in NJ.  Their website mentions 0.   I have lived here my whole life and can’t tell you where one is.  

Now back to the original topic.  The pulling and pushing of my seat, putting the napkin on my lap at the same time as an Oversized menu is being handed to me when I trying to open a handbag and get my glasses is a bit much.  As another poster pointed out,  on land this is not the norm.  Two other people agree with me.   Did you run this conversation by with your wife?  (I’m making an assumption.). I’m sure the waiters aren’t pushing in your seat.  

PS I wasn’t around in the 1950s.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This obviously means a lot to you and that’s your choice. At first read, I wondered why someone would get so upset about things that to me were little things that were easily resolved through communication. But this is important to you and and a few others as well, so we should respect your opinion. I just can’t relate to this specific issue. I sincerely hope that you get things resolved so that you can further enjoy your Regent cruises. For me, I like things the way they are and rarely have any significant issues with my Regent cruises. Well, the website and internet will always be issues 😀

• Like 3

3 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

on land this is not the norm.    

Actually, in my experience in find dining restaurant, I believe they DO pull out the chair for the woman, open and hand you the menu, and place your napkin.  

But in reality,  if you were shown to the table, and the waiter simply placed the menus on the table and walked away, there would be massive outcry "Regent service is going downhill".  I believe you are in the minority, I like the fine dining service they attempt to give.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I’m not knocking the staff - I agree they have been trained to do that.  I wanted others opinion on the subject.  It appears some of us,  agree with me and others like it just the way it is.  

Why folks thought I wasn’t serious, entitled and a bunch of other crap - I find rather entertaining.  At least it wasn’t the same rehash of tipping, clothing, pool chair hogs and the other junk everyone gets all hot and bothered about.  

Going forward the next time you are doing fine dining in a land restaurant and/or ship think about what I mentioned and let us know if you find a difference.  Just food for thought.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

GOARMY,  please let me know where those waffle houses are located in NJ.  Their website mentions 0.   I have lived here my whole life and can’t tell you where one is.  

Now back to the original topic.  The pulling and pushing of my seat, putting the napkin on my lap at the same time as an Oversized menu is being handed to me when I trying to open a handbag and get my glasses is a bit much.  As another poster pointed out,  on land this is not the norm.  Two other people agree with me.   Did you run this conversation by with your wife?  (I’m making an assumption.). I’m sure the waiters aren’t pushing in your seat.  

PS I wasn’t around in the 1950s.  

Actually I did run this by my wife. And what do you know, she doesn’t like having her chair pushed in and thinks having a napkin placed in her lap is invasive. I learn something new every day!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

Actually I did run this by my wife. And what do you know, she doesn’t like having her chair pushed in and thinks having a napkin placed in her lap is invasive. I learn something new every day!

The chair pushing and napkin placement idea *itself* is not invasive (though it is vaguely reminiscent of a mama tucking in her toddler on a high chair before feeding it).  What is 'invasive' is when it is done quickly and too aggressively, e.g., when waiters are in a hurry, and when it results in legs being banged from the back by the out of synch chair movements, or being banged in the front of the thighs or abdomen by the table edge, and when waiter hands brush against my thorax. My DH describes it (with a smile) as an "assault" 🙂.  If I were younger (or male) and had better muscles it probably wouldn't bothwe me. 

Many luxury land restaurants and some cruise waiters (on Regent and other lines, including mainstream) do it perfectly, e.g., they are attentive about how the chair is pushed, and remain patient and quiet (as opposed to looking annoyed or impatient) while I settle in with my purse placement and glasses extraction ritual, before trying to hand me a menu.  It's all a matter of training (or lack of it). When in doubt, I just decline chair assistance and either have the waiter wait until I am settled in, or tell him to put the menu down next to my place setting, thank you. 

Edited by Catlover54
Typo

To those of you who don’t like the “controlled” experience being herded to your dining seats, try this the next time.  

Take more direct control of the situation. When you get to the table and the waiter goes to pull out the chair, stay standing and pause for a few seconds. Then say “ thank you, I will seat myself”.  Next comes the menu and then say “ please leave it on the table on top of my napkin”. Waiter leaves, then you sit down in the manner you wish.  

Also for those that feel the need to immediately dig into their purse for their glasses etc,, just pause another few moments. What is the rush? I never look at the menu when it’s first presented to me.  I am more concerned about asking the waiter about the wine options.  😀

Edited by Sunprince
  • Like 4

Sunprince,  I like your thoughts on how best to handle. I will need to practice my line for this, because I don’t want to make the staff feel bad or they did something incorrect.  

Well, we are up to four women who aren’t thrilled with the service and a couple that would agree it would make for a funny SNL skit! 

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2023 at 10:49 AM, mj_holiday said:

I am sure part of their attentiveness is from experience.  My DH and I am sure other men over 70 will quickly say no if asked for help with his chair, then you have a man over 70 trying to walk his chair into place, give up and drop food on the floor because he is too far away from the table.  The first couple of times on each cruise, when we are seated, I pause the helpfulness by saying let both of us get where we need to be for help with the chair.

I am sure the menu is offered opened, because opening that big menu on the table will break glassware.  There are times when we ask not to get the menu until we have a chance to have a glass of wine while settling down and chatting a bit.

Now - let me start something.  Why do people bring purses to the dining room anyway?

Are you a woman? What kind of question is that?

On 2/14/2023 at 2:01 AM, irishwitchy said:

After spending 32 days on the Explorer,  I really would like to see some changes when getting seated for dinner.   Would also like to see if others on this site, have a solution and/or disagree.  Scenario:  I walk into any restaurant for lunch or dinner,  as we get led to the table the following happens in a very bad succession:  my seat gets pulled out and pushed in, sometimes I’m not quite in it.  A napkin is dragged across my lap and a very big over sized open menu is handed to me.  I find this whole mess, not to be fine dining, at all.  

My scenario would look like this:

1) Waiter asks if either one of us need help with the chair.

2) I put my own napkin on my lap - no need for additional hands on the napkin or hitting my breast! 

3) I would prefer that the menu is presented when I ask for it and it is closed.  I can also ask for the premium wine list at this point.  Getting that wine list requires beating off the staff, that just wants to fill up my glass with the wine of the day.  

When I get seated,  the first thing I need to do is get my eye glasses, so I can read the menu.  Second is to put the hand bag someplace.  Instead,  I have this big open menu to deal with.  Lately, I have been closing the thing and putting it on the floor, so glassware doesn’t go flying!  

Thoughts on improvements? 

I agree. I don’t know how it could be improved but if they just mimic a regular fine restaurant it would be fine. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2023 at 2:01 AM, irishwitchy said:

After spending 32 days on the Explorer,  I really would like to see some changes when getting seated for dinner.   Would also like to see if others on this site, have a solution and/or disagree.  Scenario:  I walk into any restaurant for lunch or dinner,  as we get led to the table the following happens in a very bad succession:  my seat gets pulled out and pushed in, sometimes I’m not quite in it.  A napkin is dragged across my lap and a very big over sized open menu is handed to me.  I find this whole mess, not to be fine dining, at all.  

My scenario would look like this:

1) Waiter asks if either one of us need help with the chair.

2) I put my own napkin on my lap - no need for additional hands on the napkin or hitting my breast! 

3) I would prefer that the menu is presented when I ask for it and it is closed.  I can also ask for the premium wine list at this point.  Getting that wine list requires beating off the staff, that just wants to fill up my glass with the wine of the day.  

When I get seated,  the first thing I need to do is get my eye glasses, so I can read the menu.  Second is to put the hand bag someplace.  Instead,  I have this big open menu to deal with.  Lately, I have been closing the thing and putting it on the floor, so glassware doesn’t go flying!  

Thoughts on improvements? 

Aloha. With all due respect being born and raised in Manhattan, it is the proper way perhaps you should be grateful to be blessed to experience what you are able to. I really believe it is all in jest. And by the way, I have been to all the restaurants you have mentioned. Have you been to Le Bernardin? 

8 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

Sunprince,  I like your thoughts on how best to handle. I will need to practice my line for this, because I don’t want to make the staff feel bad or they did something incorrect.  

Well, we are up to four women who aren’t thrilled with the service and a couple that would agree it would make for a funny SNL skit! 

OK,  that’s 4 out of 800 passengers that agree, so we only need 4 more to complete the 1% list. 😀

7 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

Yes, I have been Le Bernardin.  Have to admit,  it has been awhile - 7 years ago?  Need to fix!  Been to Alan Wong (miss that) and most of the other great places in Hawaii.  Yes,  and I worked for 40 years in IT to travel and enjoy.  

Aloha. I respect your opinion. I suggest you move to Hawaii or at least divide your time as we do. It is much more laid back here which is why we love it. And we also miss Alan Wong.  We enjoy Hy’s though which has more of the NY feel and when we do a staycation the Halekulani.  Grew up watching the WTC being built then when we got married lived in BPC and would dine at Windows regularly. Respect your thoughts but I’m sure many would love to have our problems.  Be well and all the best.