Anthem NYC - time for a change

cusematt4

Hi all,

We’ve sailed on the anthem out of Bayonne several times.  While the live music was great, food was great and staff above and beyond, after the second cruise a lot was repetitive.  Same production and 270 shows, same name that tune script, very similar compass and activities.  Even trivia was repeated and stale.

I know it’s costly for Royal caribbean to change up shows and understand why they don’t do so.  I don’t understand why they can’t change up the low cost items such as name that tune, the quest questions and trivia questions, in addition to new types of hosted activities.

with that being said, I’m surprised Royal caribbean hasn’t changed up the year round nyc ship from the anthem.  Post Covid could have been a perfect time to bring in the odyssey, spectrum, or an oasis class ship for year round sailings.

Due to the above, we sailed with ncl out of Nyc this holiday season instead of rcl.  Does anyone know why Royal caribbean hasn’t changed up the anthem for another modern ship for the year round nyc sailings?  Does anyone know if the anthem may be replaced and redeployed for another ship?  Is there any chance the symphony of the seas becomes the new year round tri state ny ship, or is that only going to be here seasonally?

You are aware oasis comes in the summer and symphony will be arriving next summer -  

Anthem is a great winter home port ship. Brining an oasis ship here is not possible in the winter because you would lose many of the activities for 1-2 days leaving and coming back. As well Central Park on allure was just decimated by cold weather in Texas  - NYC would be far worse. 

NCL is nice - they change ships frequently. At least you have options. 

Carnival and MSC are also starting year round from NYC - so even more choices. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

We’ve sailed on the anthem out of Bayonne several times.  While the live music was great, food was great and staff above and beyond, after the second cruise a lot was repetitive.  Same production and 270 shows, same name that tune script, very similar compass and activities.  Even trivia was repeated and stale.

I know it’s costly for Royal caribbean to change up shows and understand why they don’t do so.  I don’t understand why they can’t change up the low cost items such as name that tune, the quest questions and trivia questions, in addition to new types of hosted activities.

with that being said, I’m surprised Royal caribbean hasn’t changed up the year round nyc ship from the anthem.  Post Covid could have been a perfect time to bring in the odyssey, spectrum, or an oasis class ship for year round sailings.

Due to the above, we sailed with ncl out of Nyc this holiday season instead of rcl.  Does anyone know why Royal caribbean hasn’t changed up the anthem for another modern ship for the year round nyc sailings?  Does anyone know if the anthem may be replaced and redeployed for another ship?  Is there any chance the symphony of the seas becomes the new year round tri state ny ship, or is that only going to be here seasonally?

Rumor has it that Odyssey will be coming for late 24/early 25.   But while she's still the same class of ship--and is a great ship--there isn't an indoor family pool like on Anthem.  That's a huge plus for Anthem during the winter months out of NJ when it's too cold to be out at the regular pool.  The only enclosed area is the adults only solarium.  So that's the trade off.  And as another person has pointed out, for Oasis Class, with the outdoor central park filled with live plants, they can't sail during winter in a region where they could get snow, ice, sub-freezing temperatures that would destroy that entire area of the ship.  

• Like 1

Changing Name That Tune actually would not be cheap, since the orchestra, singers & dancers all participate.  But I agree that it would be nice.

Now, the Quest and trivia are up to the Cruise Director, and a GOOD CD (and I know many, and some of them have been on the Anthem) DOES come up with new Quests (and new questions for the Love & Marriage Show.)  A GOOD CD will instruct his staff to get new trivia questions.  

That's not a result of Anthem having been in Cape Liberty for 8 years.  That's laziness on the part of CD & staff.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rockmom said:

Rumor has it that Odyssey will be coming for late 24/early 25.   But while she's still the same class of ship--and is a great ship--there isn't an indoor family pool like on Anthem.  That's a huge plus for Anthem during the winter months out of NJ when it's too cold to be out at the regular pool.  The only enclosed area is the adults only solarium.  So that's the trade off.  And as another person has pointed out, for Oasis Class, with the outdoor central park filled with live plants, they can't sail during winter in a region where they could get snow, ice, sub-freezing temperatures that would destroy that entire area of the ship.  

Why would they bring Odyssey to Bayonne if it doesn't have an indoor pool.  I was on Anthem leaving February 4 and the temperature was a balmy 8 degrees.  Many were in the indoor pool.  Likewise coming up north on the 8th day, although the temperature was 40 with the wind blowing it felt in the low 20s.  No one was at the outdoor pool, but the indoor pool was mobbed by children and parents.

Just curious, what is in its place?

With regards to shows.  I've sailed on Anthem and Oasis some 6 times and although some of their productions shows (Cats, Gift, Spectra) are repetitive, there's a lot of different activities in smaller venues like Music Hall, Boleros, etc.  I saw on day 3 one of the funniest skits in the Music Hall titled "Ultimate Lip Sync" game show.  Simply hilarious.

My big problem is the itinerary sailing South.  Wish they would substitute Nassau or Port Canaveral with some other port(s).  My 8-niter included Miami, but on the same 8 niter sailing in February '24

Miami is missing, but an extra day of sailing, however arriving at Port Canaveral at 7AM rather than 12 PM.

Ps.  It was a thrill of a lifetime to see the launch of the Space X rocket.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

Have you sailed Oasis out of NJ? they do have other ships to choose from in Bayonne. We did Oasis in Miami last month and can't wait to do it again from Bayonne this fall! 

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

An outdoor pool. Great for warmer climes but winter in NYC perhaps not so much... 🥶

PXL_20220512_133445024.thumb.jpg.79a2f6e22e6853e57c7df99773340cb4.jpg

PXL_20220512_133448472.thumb.jpg.0b596fc71f9d5a2dcfa49c1ada3d9455.jpg

PXL_20220512_133453587.thumb.jpg.baef3bfc77ede37f5c5ae869a2c35356.jpg

That's the suite sun deck with the yellow loungers at the back, on the upper level.

3 hours ago, nelblu said:

Anthem has the indoor pool area with two indoor whirlpools that sits between the solarium and the outdoor pool. Odyssey, has another outdoor pool in that same location between the solarium and the other outdoor pool. It also has the outdoor splashaway bay.

Odyssey: 

Odyssey pool deck.jpg

Anthem:

anthem pool deck.jpg

Edited by rockmom

Another suggestion- go to Florida for a cruise.  Plenty of choices for different entertainment there.

We've sailed on the Anthem a ton of times, and noting how many first time cruisers clap when asked during the opening light- it's still quite a bit more economical to appeal to them than us repeating cruisers.

As for replacements or alternates- any of the Voyager or Freedom class ships will work- since the original year round ship was a Voyager class ship.  And at least some Freedom class ships have more advanced shows.

In terms of itinerary- since the ship has to fit into a 14 day cycle, there are not many choices.  In the winter, the best it can do is 7 night cruises, since 6 isn't really an option for more than 2 ports.  And to do that, you can only go as far south as the Bahamas and make it back in time.  When Bermuda warms up, you can cycle a 5 and 9 night, which lets it go a little farther south- but again, other than San Juan, St Thomas, and St Marten- can't really go farther south than that and make it back in time.  And of course, going north is already limited in choices, too.

Sorry to say, if you want something different than the constraints of sailing out of New York, you are going to need to go someplace else. 

Edited by alfaeric

OP, that's a big ask.  2nd cruise on the same ship and you're bored?  I wouldn't expect anything to change, it takes a lot of work to setup and prepare for all the shows, prepare cruise compasses, etc...

Maybe a couple of versions of "name that tune" could exist but to continually reworking shows and compasses is a no go.  Headlines change all the time, so that's a constant change.  Singers, comedians, jugglers, cover bands...

How about a swap of the Anthem & Ovation (Sydney/Alaska)?

Same class ship, so similar passenger capacity, but different shows (as I recall).

Unlike the Odyssey (or Oasis, for that matter), both ships have indoor family pools for the cooler weather.

And the swap would allow for 2 Panama Canal cruises, which Royal Caribbean seldom schedules.

44 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Thanks Fiona and RockMom.  Another question are there 2 outside pools and where is the kiddy pool area on Odyssey.  

Yes, two outdoor pools. The kiddy pool area is next to El Loco Fresh.

This pic is taken from the North Star:

PXL_20220507_132018345.thumb.jpg.b3fcc6e04c3aef1b8889cf6c0ca348ba.jpg

And this one is taken from inside the hallway on the same level as the pool deck. As you look at this one, the other pool, which is the one in my earlier pics, would be ahead of you, behind the North Star.

PXL_20220509_094239278.thumb.jpg.400d74347151508b34a8c267703c6100.jpg

6 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Yes, two outdoor pools. The kiddy pool area is next to El Loco Fresh.

This pic is taken from the North Star:

PXL_20220507_132018345.thumb.jpg.b3fcc6e04c3aef1b8889cf6c0ca348ba.jpg

And this one is taken from inside the hallway on the same level as the pool deck. As you look at this one, the other pool, which is the one in my earlier pics, would be ahead of you, behind the North Star.

PXL_20220509_094239278.thumb.jpg.400d74347151508b34a8c267703c6100.jpg

Thanks again.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JKHawaii said:

How about a swap of the Anthem & Ovation (Sydney/Alaska)?

Same class ship, so similar passenger capacity, but different shows (as I recall).

Unlike the Odyssey (or Oasis, for that matter), both ships have indoor family pools for the cooler weather.

And the swap would allow for 2 Panama Canal cruises, which Royal Caribbean seldom schedules.

That makes sense.

IMO the indoor pool and Two70 (awesome outdoor views from the comfort of inside) are key features of the Quantum class ships that make them perfectly suitable for the Bayonne port during cold seasons.

To keep the indoor pool you would need to scale all the way back to vision class. (not knocking them, but a lot less amenities to offer, good or bad)

We've sailed on Freedom class (essentially same as Voyager class) one time with cold weather out of Galveston and not being about to use the pool deck was a major detraction.  This is just me, but I need some place to chill out in my bathing suit on on a cruise at lease a few days.  🙂

I suppose an Oasis class with an enclosed Solarium would work but it must get SLAMMED during cold weather.

5 hours ago, nelblu said:

Why would they bring Odyssey to Bayonne if it doesn't have an indoor pool.  I was on Anthem leaving February 4 and the temperature was a balmy 8 degrees.  Many were in the indoor pool.  Likewise coming up north on the 8th day, although the temperature was 40 with the wind blowing it felt in the low 20s.  No one was at the outdoor pool, but the indoor pool was mobbed by children and parents.

With regards to shows.  I've sailed on Anthem and Oasis some 6 times and although some of their productions shows (Cats, Gift, Spectra) are repetitive, there's a lot of different activities in smaller venues like Music Hall, Boleros, etc.  I saw on day 3 one of the funniest skits in the Music Hall titled "Ultimate Lip Sync" game show.  Simply hilarious.

My big problem is the itinerary sailing South.  Wish they would substitute Nassau or Port Canaveral with some other port(s).  My 8-niter included Miami, but on the same 8 niter sailing in February '24

Miami is missing, but an extra day of sailing, however arriving at Port Canaveral at 7AM rather than 12 PM.

Ps.  It was a thrill of a lifetime to see the launch of the Space X rocket.

15 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

IMO the indoor pool and Two70 (awesome outdoor views from the comfort of inside) are key features of the Quantum class ships that make them perfectly suitable for the Bayonne port during cold seasons.

To keep the indoor pool you would need to scale all the way back to vision class. (not knocking them, but a lot less amenities to offer, good or bad)

I'm sure the indoor pool gets busy on family-heavy sailings in the winter...but there aren't that many of them from the Northeast (really just the school holidays). My folks sailed one of the 11-nighters in January and the indoor pool was by no means packed on the early or final days.

Remember, before Anthem, Cape Liberty was home to Explorer year-round for many years, with no indoor pool. This market has worked without an indoor pool in the winter before, and I'm sure it will/can again.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

We've sailed out of Bayonne several times on Anthem. I've known cruisers to do BTB's on Anthem from there, so I can imagine (for them at least) nothing would probably change. 

Anthem leaves May 1st for Southampton. We're on that ship in June, I believe if itineraries and onboard activities do change, it's when they change seasonal home ports. Check out the 12 day Canaries cruise, a really good itinerary! And, longer in port periods! this'll be a new change of pace for us from the Carib & Med cruises we've done in the past.

2 hours ago, xtremegk said:

I'm sure the indoor pool gets busy on family-heavy sailings in the winter...but there aren't that many of them from the Northeast (really just the school holidays). My folks sailed one of the 11-nighters in January and the indoor pool was by no means packed on the early or final days.

Remember, before Anthem, Cape Liberty was home to Explorer year-round for many years, with no indoor pool. This market has worked without an indoor pool in the winter before, and I'm sure it will/can again.

With the KSF, Anthem sail on February 4th was jumping.  

2 hours ago, juncos said:

Hi:

Agreed 100%,sick and tire of the Anthem we have being on it at least 7 times.

We need and demand a new ship..

Regards,

Manny & Lydia LI NY

Supposedly we are.  Symphony in '24 and Odyssey (?) in '25.  However, it's very enticing when you only have to travel 25 to 30 minutes each way versus shlepping for some 4-5 hours each way to Florida ports.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1