Once a day Cleaning Morning or Evening?

molly361

Once a day Room Service Morning or Evening?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Once a day service Which do you pick Morning or Evening

• Morning
    • Evening

1 minute ago, island lady said:

I don't like coming back to the cabin after breakfast and having to find a place to sit somewhere while with the attendant in there.  It happens more often than not.  

We don't leave the ship until well after the masses do.  

Our solution to that is to put the do not disturb sign on the door until we leave for the day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

No one knows what the people in line are there for. You are making assumptions that quite possibly are unfounded.

Oh I forgot.....you were there with me in line to hear the discussions going on around me, that were impossible to not over hear.  The agents are very close together at the desk on Voyager, and many of the pax had louder than normal voices.  Silly me to not to acknowledge you standing there.  😮   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Oh I forgot.....you were there with me in line to hear the discussions going on around me, that were impossible to not over hear.  The agents are very close together at the desk on Voyager, and many of the pax had louder than normal voices.  Silly me to not to acknowledge you standing there.  😮   

So you were removing tips too? Snark isn't your best look.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

I don't like coming back to the cabin after breakfast and having to find a place to sit somewhere while with the attendant in there.  It happens more often than not.  

We don't leave the ship until well after the masses do.  

If the cabin attendants are going from 17 or 18 rooms to clean to 35 rooms I can understand why they'll be overwhelmed with work. Id hate to be the first cabin and the last cabin they clean daily. So, can you imagine for Day 1 what his job is going to entail trying to get ALL their rooms ready to be inspected before the pax's arrive.Geesch !

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Our solution to that is to put the do not disturb sign on the door until we leave for the day.

That would work, but it doesn't for us...different strokes.  🙂 

I like hanging out in the cabin after early breakfast with the cabin all freshened up.  If we have to wait, it is usually only 10-20 minutes or so anyway.  I just deal with it.   We don't leave the ship most days until almost noon.  It's our quiet time on the ship.  

And actually our attendants love it that we are out early people, so they can get our cabin done and out of the way.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

So you were removing tips too? Snark isn't your best look.

And this is not Snark?   ^   Look in the mirror my friend.  You are the one that chastised me that I had no idea what they were in line for...that I was making assumptions...you were wrong.  

But since you asked....No...never...ever would I remove the gratuities.  My grats are always prepaid in advance. In fact I was in line to get change for a 100 bill for extra tip money.

I tip 5.00 cash extra for each meal, including breakfast.  Plus tip cash for every voucher (free drink) we get.  At the end of the cruise, we pass out even more cash in hand to those that deserve it.  

There...happy now...you have your answer.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

If the cabin attendants are going from 17 or 18 rooms to clean to 35 rooms I can understand why they'll be overwhelmed with work. Id hate to be the first cabin and the last cabin they clean daily. So, can you imagine for Day 1 what his job is going to entail trying to get ALL their rooms ready to be inspected before the pax's arrive.Geesch !

Our attendant last week told us he was going from 18 cabins to 25.

19 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

OH boy!!!! that's good information to know Island lady seeing that we'll be doing that 7 nighter from San Juan the middle of March.  lots of posts to read up on here . Thanks for your reply.

You are most welcome!  Enjoy your cruise!  🙂 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Our attendant last week told us he was going from 18 cabins to 25.

Thank you island lady. Well, that certainly is a bit more realistic, but in any event, lots of work for lousy pay they get. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Thank you island lady. Well, that certainly is a bit more realistic, but in any event, lots of work for lousy pay they get. 

Indeed it is sad.  Our cruise on Jewel, just previous to Voyager, our cabin attendant was very unhappy about it.  He told me the rest of them are not happy either.  What if every cabin chooses morning?  He/she will never be able to get off the ship for some R&R with that extra load.    

We are back on Jewel B2B again on Saturday, will be interesting to see if they have gone to that by then.  So many cutbacks...sigh.  😞 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, island lady said:

And this is not Snark?   ^   Look in the mirror my friend.  You are the one that chastised me that I had no idea what they were in line for...that I was making assumptions...you were wrong.  

But since you asked....No...never...ever would I remove the gratuities.  My grats are always prepaid in advance. In fact I was in line to get change for a 100 bill for extra tip money.

I tip 5.00 cash extra for each meal, including breakfast.  Plus tip cash for every voucher (free drink) we get.  At the end of the cruise, we pass out even more cash in hand to those that deserve it.  

There...happy now...you have your answer.  

But your post was still an assumption. Say you were in line with 100 people and they all were overheard removing tips, that leaves 2500 that you have no idea about.

9 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

We personally aren't thrilled about going to once-a-day.  But the way I see it, the cabin stewards are getting a 38% raise (if it's indeed 18 increased to 25 cabins), on 30% reduction in cleaning (25 cleanings once a day vs. 36 on twice a day).  I imagine there's more to the puzzle (perhaps missing 2x daily interaction w/ people they enjoy/etc), but from a financial aspect, it's a no-brainer win for them.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Our cruise on Jewel, just previous to Voyager, our cabin attendant was very unhappy about it.  He told me the rest of them are not happy either. 

We are back on Jewel B2B again on Saturday, will be interesting to see if they have gone to that by then.  So many cutbacks...sigh.  😞 

Well, thats 2 or 3 for sure. Must be all of them unhappy!

23 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

And I can  see someone from  corporate reading your comment and having an “ah ha” moment and adding it to the benefit list.

Not for free. Maybe add to the Key and raise the price and/or offer a second daily cleaning at an additional cost.  

Royal didn't announce this as a temporary change.  Once cut, most amenities don't come back, except perhaps as revenue generation opportunities. 

• Like 3

I wonder how being a typical morning vs evening shower-er influences our preference for morning vs. evening cleanings? My whole family showers at the end of the day so I would prefer a cleaning between when we return from an excursion and use the towels the first time, and when we turn in for the night so I can have fresh towels for the second shower. Do those of you choosing the morning cleaning typically also shower in the morning?

3 hours ago, island lady said:

I liked not having towel animals on Voyager, and did not miss it.  IMHO, it's a waste of their already frenzied time to clean the cabin, and with going to once daily and more cabins....yikes. 

I hope they continue doing it for the kids. My teens still love it (they created a "zoo" last year with their animals) and it was one of their favorite things when they cruised for the first time. 

0415221811a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

We never received one single towel animal on the B2B2B Voyager we just disembarked from...did not bother me.  

As a cruising newbie in November 2022 for a 7 nighter, I didn't understand / know about the custom / tradition of ships' crew placing towel animals in the cabins.  I was surprised and amused.  

Nov.22-Serenade of the Seas-Stateroom 3568-Towel Art 1.jpg

Nov.22-Serenade of the Seas-Stateroom 3568-Towel Art 2.JPG

Nov.22-Serenade of the Seas-Stateroom 3568-Towel Art 3.JPG

3 hours ago, island lady said:

And actually our attendants love it that we are out early people, so they can get our cabin done and out of the way.  

I'm a newbie, with just one solo cruise experience.  My cabin attendant liked it that I was out of the room from 8 a.m. until after lunch ... and took the opportunity to clean my lightly-used room early before tackling the mess left in other cabins.  😁  Evenings, I was out until 9 p.m. or so ... and didn't mess the room throughout the day.

Edited by Longford

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I hope they continue doing it for the kids. My teens still love it (they created a "zoo" last year with their animals) and it was one of their favorite things when they cruised for the first time. 

Not us.  Especially with all this chatter of cutting to once a day.  Prefer the cabin attendants focus on the necessities. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Sure but with 1x day its roughly the same amount of work with double the pay. Who would not want that.

How do you figure it's double the pay?  

Old Cleanings: 15 cabins x2/day = 30 cleanings/day.

New Cleanings: 25 cabins x 1/day = 25 cleanings/day

16% reduction (in theory)

Old tips: 15 cabins * $3pp * 2 people = $90/day

New tips: 25 cabins * $3pp * 2 people = $150/day

66% increase (in theory).

NOTE: the per person fee is just a number.  No matter what number you put in there, it's still a 66% increase.

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the down side for the steward.  Even if all 25 rooms requests morning, if it's me, I start at one end of the hall on day 1, and the opposite end of the hall on day 2.  Keep swapping. 

• Like 1