Do you really need to get a balcony on an Alaskan cruise?

leahthecaterer

Alaska was our first cruise and we had a balcony.  We would do a balcony in Alaska again.  We saw so much wildlife from there, and when nearing the glacier we had prime viewing and photography.  When we were out on the balcony, my husband and others would call out when there was something to see. Bring the binos!  We slept with the door open every night the air was so fresh.  We have had interior on every Carribean cruise we have done because we spend lots of time out at the pool or outside seating areas.

Hope you enjoy your cruise whatever you choose!

• Like 1

It seems everyone has an opinion to this question! I've cruised many times, but only once to Alaska - and WITH a balcony. I have enjoyed my cruises in interior and ocean view rooms, but wouldn't think of going without a balcony to Alaska, due to all the beautiful outdoor scenery. I also like to lounge on the balcony, and sometimes get the free room service for breakfast on the balcony. Someone wrote to bring BINOCULARS. I strongly recommend that as well, regardless of your choice of room. But how fun to see a glacier or wildlife through binoculars right from your own balcony!

• Like 2

Most things in my life I do quality over quantity.  For as much as I have spent on balcony or better cabins, I could have probably cruised three times as many times in interior cabins, but would I have enjoyed a cruise where the only purpose of my cabin was the necessary four S-es of life?  No.  There is always a reason to have at least a balcony, but especially in Alaska.  The Royal class ships have less available and accessible outside railing space than the older Grand class ships, as mentioned by others here, it's a lot harder to find nice railing space to do glacier viewing or any other kind of viewing on the Royals than on the older ships.

There is one exception and that would be to book your interior cabin, and high tail it to the Sanctuary on embarkation day and book a week pass there.  That way you have reserved space to go to during Glacier Bay day for viewing.

• Like 1

We had a obstructed view cabin and most days the fog did not lift until 10 am. We spent most of the time on the open decks walking to each side as passengers spotted some thing to see. If you sit on a balcony you will be limited in what you see IMO.

• Like 2

In my opinion yes, a balcony is well worth the money for an Alaskan cruise.  And you don't have to stay on your balcony, you can always walk around the areas where inside cabin people will be.  Depending on the weather it can be windy, rainy, and very cool so a balcony would be a must in those conditions.

Also, when you first wake up you can open the drapes and see beautiful scenery and perhaps wildlife.  The day we cruised Glacier Bay I would not have gotten this early morning photo if I didn't have a balcony.

image.thumb.png.6f7a318608d8cc15af601d6a4920f9a2.png

• Like 2

IMG_1005a

IMG_1115a

IMG_1095a

All taken from our private balcony.  Port side at Glacier Bay.  I don't like the idea of shouldering my way in to a rail-side spot on a public deck on a Royal Class ship.  Without a full Promenade, space is hard to come by and often blocked by blue glass panels.  

Royal Princess III Sun deck Aft Pictures

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have sailed Alaska 30 times and only the last couple with a balcony. It is nice to be outside and move around for different views. I would always get a cabin location that had quick access to open decks. The balcony is nice to sit outside anytime if you can afford the extra cost. For your first trips I would spend extra $$ on excursions

• Like 3

On 2/20/2023 at 1:02 AM, nini said:

It is personal preference and only you know your expectations and budget.

Spot on answer!  We've been to AK 5 times, always in an inside cabin since we spend very little time in there.  We go up on deck - and we are more often than not standing beside people who have a balcony cabin - LOL! 

• Like 2

Everyone that has posted has had wonderful suggestions.  A balcony is the frosting on the cake on an Alaskan voyage.  But if it is not in your budget, then the other alternatives are just as valid.

For my money, I would choose a Grand Class ship over a Royal Class.  I think several have backed up that recommendation.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 4:27 PM, donswife said:

Depending on the sailing date, you can save a few hundred dollars by booking an obstructed view balcony instead of standard balcony on the Royal class ships. These are listed under the inside cabin tab.

Absolutely, that's what we did this past Sept. Check pics online.We had a midship and mid lifeboat room . The top of the lifeboat is even with the bottom of your balcony so only obstruction was looking down. It's Alaska; look out, not down. Perfect way to get best of both worlds. I would book that type of room again in a heartbeat. Take the $$ savings and book an excursion. Good luck.Alaska is beautiful.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

In my opinion yes, a balcony is well worth the money for an Alaskan cruise.  And you don't have to stay on your balcony, you can always walk around the areas where inside cabin people will be.  Depending on the weather it can be windy, rainy, and very cool so a balcony would be a must in those conditions.

Also, when you first wake up you can open the drapes and see beautiful scenery and perhaps wildlife.  The day we cruised Glacier Bay I would not have gotten this early morning photo if I didn't have a balcony.

image.thumb.png.6f7a318608d8cc15af601d6a4920f9a2.png

What an amazing shot!

• Like 1

Quickly book the Sanctuary on days when you are in Glacier Bay for example.  The rest of the time lots of places to view from various decks.  Remember that most of the time you are 1-50 miles from shore and cannot see details without binoculars. 

Thus if inside is really cheap we book inside and bring our own binoculars. 

• Like 1

I consider myself the type of person who very highly values a balcony in Alaska. I'm a total whale nerd (worked on whale watching boats for years), avid photographer of all wildlife and scenery, love the rush of the pacific wind of the west coast. 

Yet, based on cost, I will still book inside cabins for Alaska.

It really comes down to the price. I know that even with an inside cabin, I can still go out and see wildlife and enjoy all the things I want. A balcony is absolutely my preference, but only if I feel the balcony is a good value for the dollar.

It's very subjective. 🙂

You can do what I did too--book an inside and watch prices like a hawk. We were extremely lucky and upgraded to a balcony for just $300 more for 11 days. It was a no-brainer! 

• Like 5

I’ve done Alaska cruises in an Inside, Oceanview, Balcony, and Window Suite and enjoyed all of the cruises, so no, you don’t HAVE to get a balcony. The balcony  is definitely the best, though, as it gives you way more opps to view wildlife and scenery than if you have to go up on deck each time. For instance, you’re getting ready for dinner with your curtains open and can quickly run outside to view a passing waterfall. Or, it’s a freezing day, so you want to be warm, but Horizon Court is crowded, you don’t have to worry because you can just stay in your stateroom and pop in and out of your balcony at your convenience. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2023 at 9:33 AM, JimmyVWine said:

IMG_1005a

IMG_1115a

IMG_1095a

All taken from our private balcony.  Port side at Glacier Bay.  I don't like the idea of shouldering my way in to a rail-side spot on a public deck on a Royal Class ship.  Without a full Promenade, space is hard to come by and often blocked by blue glass panels.  

Royal Princess III Sun deck Aft Pictures

Amazing pictures!  So excited to go!

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 11:09 PM, travelin.sisters said:

short answer: NO

long answer: we are balcony people, we like being able to be in our own space, not surrounded by lots of people & able to watch the sights, we are also older & have some mobility issues so this is good for us...others find the balcony a waste of money as they enjoy the excitement of being outside & able to go from one side of the ship to the other as things appear on one side or the other or find different places on the ship to see different things.

actual answer: you have to look at your budget & decide what is most important for you, will having a balcony mean you can't afford an excursion or adventure that you really want to do? do you love being able to hangout on a balcony with your morning coffee & laze, I hope this thread gives you tons of insight to help you make the best decision for you

This is the best and honest answer. 

I have been to Alaska on an interior and balcony. 

If you are sensitive to light when sleeping, you must get an interior. I got a balcony and couldn't sleep until 11 pm when the sun sets and woke up at like 3 or 4 am bc of the light. I was so miserable. Never again will I do Alaska without an inside room. It's non-negotiable for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DrSea said:

This is the best and honest answer. 

I have been to Alaska on an interior and balcony. 

If you are sensitive to light when sleeping, you must get an interior. I got a balcony and couldn't sleep until 11 pm when the sun sets and woke up at like 3 or 4 am bc of the light. I was so miserable. Never again will I do Alaska without an inside room. It's non-negotiable for me. 

So strange... The drapes work very well.

• Like 1

Just now, nini said:

So strange... The drapes work very well.

Not for me. The light around the drapes leak in. Sometimes the ship moves and the drapes open. I am very sensitive to light. 

Glad you're not. But I need it pitch black dark before I can sleep. YMMV

6 hours ago, DrSea said:

Not for me. The light around the drapes leak in. Sometimes the ship moves and the drapes open. I am very sensitive to light. 

Glad you're not. But I need it pitch black dark before I can sleep. YMMV

I love pitch dark too... the ones that really bother me are the windows/ drapes in hotels.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nini said:

I love pitch dark too... the ones that really bother me are the windows/ drapes in hotels.

Really depends on hotels. Some blackout drapes work for me at hotels. 

But I have yet to find a window, balcony, or suite with black out curtains that truly keep the room pitch black on multiple cruise lines and multiple ships. Was just on a the crown princess last week with a balcony and light leaked in pretty badly. I was up at 6 am bc of the light daily when I would have loved to sleep in until 9 am on vacation. 

I have cruised to Alaska twice - both times in an inside cabin.  The first time (2009) we were on the HAL Zaandam.  I was invited to join my friend and her daughter.  Because I had to pay the single supplement, I chose an inside cabin to keep the cost within reason.   The second time, (Golden Princess - 2012), I was traveling with my cousin, who was on a budget.  Again, I was in an inside cabin.    Both of those cruises were fantastic.  I spent most of my time outside the cabin and had wonderful views of the glaciers from the decks.  I usually prefer a balcony cabin or a mini-suite, but, my cruises to Alaska were fabulous even in an inside cabin.  

• Like 1

Short answer: yes

long answer: no but yes

It will make the experience that much more amazing with your own access outside to see the spectacular views. Very easy access and no fighting with others to get the sights you paid lots of $$$$ to see. 

My first voyage to Alaska was on an ocean view cabin and while it was doable, it sucked having to fight people on deck and look over heads 5 rows deep from the railing to look at Glacier Bay. If money is tight, you don't need a balcony but if you can swing it then definitely yes. 

• Like 1