Main dining room

Bjbilly

49 minutes ago, mikebsxm said:

We usually book around a year out,, and are 4 star mariners, (not sure if that has any clout, but we always mention it).  We send an email to the Ship Coordinator for the particular ship we are on.  The email includes our booking number, cabin number, request for early fixed dining, and we include a list of 10 or more table numbers, in order of preference.  We have always received one of our top 3 favorite tables. 

We do the same thing. For our upcoming sailing on NS, we received the first table out of the 4 we provided.

9 hours ago, KroozNut said:

That is a puzzler, especially since we have had the opposite experience when booking that far out.

Maybe because the holiday sailings are more popular and therefore book much faster than others?

The holiday sailings are indeed popular, and attract a lot of families and multi-generational groups. My personal theory is that HAL holds (blocks) most of the early seating tables for the holiday sailings and release them in batches as the cruise approaches and more large groups book. It's the only possible explanation I can think of for early seating consistently not being available when booking ~1.5yrs out. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Infi said:

The holiday sailings are indeed popular, and attract a lot of families and multi-generational groups. My personal theory is that HAL holds (blocks) most of the early seating tables for the holiday sailings and release them in batches as the cruise approaches and more large groups book. It's the only possible explanation I can think of for early seating consistently not being available when booking ~1.5yrs out. 

That makes sense.

I wonder if cabin category comes into play here. We booked our first Alaska cruise on Zuiderdam closer to sailing than we usually do. We booked a Neptune suite. We had to take a guarantee because it was the last cruise of the season and we wanted combine it with the coastal to San Francisco. They were keeping their options open and only doing guarantees at that point. Despite the late booking, we got first seating confirmed before the cabin location was confirmed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, albingirl said:

The MDR on the NS is so loud that on our recent 14 day cruise, we never stepped foot in that restaurant.  We had club orange which was a lifesaver.

If you never stepped foot in the MDR, how do you know it was so loud?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

21 hours ago, KroozNut said:

We do the same thing. For our upcoming sailing on NS, we received the first table out of the 4 we provided.

This may be a very foolish question - and if so, I apologize - but how do you prioritize which tables you wish to sit at?  We are going on our very first cruise ever this summer on the Rotterdam and I am curious as to how you - or anyone else - would decide which tables are in a better or worse location.  There will be 3 of us and we would like to sit at a 4 top table but would have absolutely no idea about preferred locations, so any advice/information you would offer would be greatly appreciated!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That makes sense.

I wonder if cabin category comes into play here. We booked our first Alaska cruise on Zuiderdam closer to sailing than we usually do. We booked a Neptune suite. We had to take a guarantee because it was the last cruise of the season and we wanted combine it with the coastal to San Francisco. They were keeping their options open and only doing guarantees at that point. Despite the late booking, we got first seating confirmed before the cabin location was confirmed.

Aren't you guaranteed that with a neptune to get your choice of dining?  I believe that used to be the case anyway.  THanks.

On 2/25/2023 at 6:42 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

You’ve been lucky, I believe.  Why would anyone lie about this?  I’m not interested in early traditional dining  but you used to have to book more than a year in advance for it.  The main dining was way easier to get.

Madie and I like Any Time dining around 6:45-7 PM. We usually ask for a table for 6 or 8 when we check in as we like to meet as many people as possible. That is unless we are traveling with other couples (once). Never had to wait, make the reservation on the first day on HAL, book in advance on other cruise lines.

12 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

Madie and I like Any Time dining around 6:45-7 PM. We usually ask for a table for 6 or 8 when we check in as we like to meet as many people as possible. That is unless we are traveling with other couples (once). Never had to wait, make the reservation on the first day on HAL, book in advance on other cruise lines.

That's a little too late for me but that's probably a great time to go.  The people that came in when the MDR first opened are probably leaving at that time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That's a little too late for me but that's probably a great time to go.  The people that came in when the MDR first opened are probably leaving at that time.

That makes sense about early diners leaving. We eat at that time year round, occasionally later, less often earlier.

Jim

6 hours ago, albingirl said:

The MDR on the NS is so loud that on our recent 14 day cruise, we never stepped foot in that restaurant.  We had club orange which was a lifesaver.

The MDR on the K'dam is loud on the lower level, and I would have hoped that HAL might address the issue on the later Pinnacle ships. The second time I sailed on the K'dam. I was at a table on the upper level at the back, almost in the corner. It was amazingly quiet compared to other areas.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The MDR on the K'dam is loud on the lower level, and I would have hoped that HAL might address the issue on the later Pinnacle ships. The second time I sailed on the K'dam. I was at a table on the upper level at the back, almost in the corner. It was amazingly quiet compared to other areas.

Maybe that is better. First floor is like thunder. Best to sit in the middle of it all. Off to the sides is a nightmare. We couldn't sit through it and walked out.

• Like 1

We just booked a cruise on the Westerdam for June, this will be our 2nd cruise on Holland America. We normally cruise on Princess but decided we need a change. Our TA said that traditional dining was full and we had to go with anytime dining. We like to have dinner around 5 – 5:30 is that going to be a problem? Is it going to be crazy busy at that time?

On 2/26/2023 at 3:04 PM, mikebsxm said:

We usually book around a year out,, and are 4 star mariners, (not sure if that has any clout, but we always mention it).  We send an email to the Ship Coordinator for the particular ship we are on.  The email includes our booking number, cabin number, request for early fixed dining, and we include a list of 10 or more table numbers, in order of preference.  We have always received one of our top 3 favorite tables. 

@mikebsxmHow do you find the email for the Ship Coordinator?  

Thank you - this sounds like a great plan!

30 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

Our TA said that traditional dining was full and we had to go with anytime dining. We like to have dinner around 5 – 5:30 is that going to be a problem? Is it going to be crazy busy at that time?

The MDR doesn't open until 5:30 or 5:15. There is usually a line of those without reservations at that time.

However, you can reserve a specific time once you are onboard. There is a table/podium near the Pinnacle Grill on Deck 2 plus one on Deck 9 - sometimes near Canaletto, sometimes near the spa. Or you can call to make reservations, but expect to be on hold.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

The MDR doesn't open until 5:30 or 5:15. There is usually a line of those without reservations at that time.

However, you can reserve a specific time once you are onboard. There is a table/podium near the Pinnacle Grill on Deck 2 plus one on Deck 9 - sometimes near Canaletto, sometimes near the spa. Or you can call to make reservations, but expect to be on hold.. 

Thanks Suzy

46 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Thank you for explaining this. We've booked our first cruise on HAL this August to Alaska and I have been searching everywhere for what seating we have. We prefer Anytime because the early is usually far too early and the late too late. But nothing on my booking indicates that and there's nowhere to make reservations online except for Specialty dining.

1 hour ago, Live4cruises said:

How do you find the email for the Ship Coordinator? 

Contact Ship Services in Seattle -

800-541-1576

hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com

And ask for the coordinator for your particular ship..

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Thank you for explaining this. We've booked our first cruise on HAL this August to Alaska and I have been searching everywhere for what seating we have. We prefer Anytime because the early is usually far too early and the late too late. But nothing on my booking indicates that and there's nowhere to make reservations online except for Specialty dining.

How did you book your cruise.. directly with HAL, via an external TA? Depending on this information, your dining arrangements (i.e., Fixed early/late or open) should be noted in the 'cruise details' section of your emailed booking confirmation from HAL.

If through a TA, they should have the same information and you need to get it from them. If they don't have it, they can contact HAL on your behalf and get the info.

10 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

How did you book your cruise.. directly with HAL, via an external TA? Depending on this information, your dining arrangements (i.e., Fixed early/late or open) should be noted in the 'cruise details' section of your emailed booking confirmation from HAL.

If through a TA, they should have the same information and you need to get it from them. If they don't have it, they can contact HAL on your behalf and get the info.

My booking says "Open Dining" my TA said that traditional dining was full. So I guess I just show up at 5:30 and hope for the best or try to find the table/podium near the Pinnacle Grill to make reservation

16 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

I'm booked through a TA, one I've used many times and I always see what dining I have noted on our booking confirmation, but I don't for our HAL cruise. I'll just email her and ask. I'm pretty sure she knows we prefer open, but sometimes things get mixed up.

Thanks again for your help!

I used to call Ships Services and ask for the particular ship coordinator.  But, now they don't seem to know what I'm talking about or say they can't release that information.  Ships Services used to be very reliable but I think some of the old employees are gone and the new ones are not used to the routine.