Semi-Live Getaway: Feb 26 - Mar 10, 2023 NY - So. Caribbean ... 12 nights

PistolPete13

On 3/6/2023 at 9:56 AM, GSfromCT said:

I appreciate your feedback and everyone else on the topic.    Does reporting bad or unsafe or unruly behavior require a 1 hour wait at guest services, or would any crew member be able to report a bad situation more efficiently?

I didn't mean to sound like "Mr. Bravado" in my last post.  I just have two special needs college aged kids, who by appearance, look normal.  I sometimes may be too overprotective, but I won't throw away the entire cruise because of it.  I can left a lot roll off my back as long as nobody is getting hurt.

When we were just on Getaway and I called about a large group of older teens in the next-door cabin, someone came within 20 minutes. I only called because it was the second day in a row with them all in there, and they were so loud and we could hear all their remarks (homophobic, sexist, racist- you name it, we heard it) through the walls. When they left the room I counted over 13 kids! 

• Thanks 2

On 2/26/2023 at 1:04 PM, bluesea777 said:

Looks like 5 ships were scheduled for St. Lucia on Friday March 3rd: 3 mega and 2 small ones. Getaway and the 2 small ships are "anchorage" and the other 2 mega are "docked": Epic and Mein Schiff 2.

cruise-schedule-saint-lucia-2022-2023-updated-10-nov-20221.pdf (slaspa.com)

Very late to this, but we were on the Epic and I looked for the Getaway and was disappointed not to see it in St. Lucia.

The only ships in the main port that day were us at the main port and Mein Schiff 2 parked across the way in the industrial port.

4 hours ago, timcahill98 said:

So I'm curious Pete - when they cancel a port stop, in addition to getting any excursions refunded, have they told you they'll also refund the port fees and taxes you paid upfront?  I know Princess and Celebrity do, but I've heard that NCL doesn't.  Can you confirm that?  Otherwise, in effect, they're stealing money from every passenger when they cancel a port stop.

refunded port fee was $8 and some change. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As predicted the winds have picked up along with the swells.  The temps are mid-60’s this morning but feel much colder with the wind.  Truth be told, it was already cold yesterday afternoon if you weren’t in direct sunlight.  The sweatshirt and fleece vest are freed from the closet again as I sit typing this out on the Deck 8 Waterfront watching the waves.  The ship is moving quite a bit and it felt the worse on the upper decks where the gym is for some reason.  I had to keep one hand on the treadmill this morning to keep myself from falling off while running.

I didn’t see any of the deck chairs deployed this morning at 8AM and I doubt they will be with this wind.  The sundeck and other upper deck areas have been roped off.

No much happening today so no cohesive narrative from me.  Here is a laundry list of random thoughts.

- I’m in an inside cabin room 5407.  I must be next to or above some junction for all the plumbing becuase I can hear constant gurgling and whoosh sounds of what I presume of toilets being flushed all through the night.  Not enough to wake me but noticeable if I’m awake.

- Depending on the wind, the smoke condition in Spice H2O is no joke.  I’m pretty sensitive to fumes so I did a full 180 as soon as I walked back there.  No thanks.

- This cruise has a large population of French Canadians on board.  Some of them will give the Americans a good run on how loud they can be in public areas.

- I thought the Waterfront of deck 8 was supposed to be a quiet area?  This was my refuge on the Escape and Bliss.  On the Getaway I had to endure 30+ minutes of a lady reading the schedule off the Freestyle Daily as if it was the Emancipation Proclamation.  Lady, they printed that thing for a reason!  I think she was trying to impress the Quebecois with her command of American English.  I had a prime seat so I wasn’t going to give it up for her.  I ride the subways daily so I’m conditioned to endure and ignore a lot of things.  Meanwhile her husband was sitting there staring at her as if he was seeing the rapture happening.  Sheesh.

- I had a 5:30PM reservation at Taste and I was not hungry at all after a late lunch.  Being the considerate person that I am, I went there at 5:30 to tell the hostess to cancel my reservation.  Bad habit from NYC where they’ll charge you $50 for no showing a reservation.  I’m obviously standing in line when a lady comes up and gives her best Covid cough.  I naturally jump back in horror and she then slots right into the vacated spot in front of me.  I couldn’t believe it!  I should’ve fake sneezed onto the back of her head but I chose to be the better person because I was on VACATION.  I overhead her mention her room # to the hostess and I’m very tempted to false positive one of my Covid test tags and drop it off on a buffet plate in front of her door for the room attendant to find.  Do they still quarantine people nowadays?

- The downside of multiple short port days is that all the details get mixed up in my mind.  I can’t believe San Juan was a week ago now.  Thank goodness all my photos are GPS tagged with locations.

- I splurged for another 600 page Kindle book.  I guess even after all these decades of not reading a thing I’m still a somewhat fast reader.

- I’ve avoided the MDR Tropicana since the menus are the same in Taste and Savor.  I like the smaller venue.  I’ve had no issues with the food in those places.  The taste and quality is a tiny step up from the buffet selections.  The portions are tiny however.  My normal routine has been 4 appetizers, two entrees, and dessert with coffee.  The manager is playing a joke with me by placing me (a single) in a four top so that they can place all the plates down at once to give a show.

- So I’ve confirmed that the off meter Internet DOES allow you to read the boards on Cruise Critic but at a glacial page.  We’re talking 3 to 4 minutes to react after clicking on something.  This works out OK for me on a laptop while I’m processing my photos.  I can click on something, go do a few photos, then go back and the contents will be there.  This is much harder to do on a portable device and it’ll probably time out.

That’s all for now.  I have dinner at the much praised Cagney’s tonight and I have a feeling it was a mistake to make it so late in my cruise after I’m sick of eating unchecked for 9 days now.  We’ll see how it goes and I will report back tomorrow!

Oh yes, the refunded port fees for the missed DR port is… $8.10

• Like 16
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

- I thought the Waterfront of deck 8 was supposed to be a quiet area?  This was my refuge on the Escape and Bliss.  On the Getaway I had to endure 30+ minutes of a lady reading the schedule off the Freestyle Daily as if it was the Emancipation Proclamation.  Lady, they printed that thing for a reason!  I think she was trying to impress the Quebecois with her command of American English.  I had a prime seat so I wasn’t going to give it up for her.  I ride the subways daily so I’m conditioned to endure and ignore a lot of things.  Meanwhile her husband was sitting there staring at her as if he was seeing the rapture happening.  Sheesh.

Pete, you are a delight. This made me laugh out loud at my desk. 

• Haha 4

Pete, LOL, that $8.10 is good for an iced Starbucks cappuccino, venti sized +20%

And loading CC in the free mode is slow but usable but graphics won't ...

Looking at Windy and Cruisemapper, ship heading toward Myrtle Beach and Elizabeth City but slipped behind the Gem, slowed to 17 or 18 knots, headwind and perhaps to better ride the sea swell.  Given the probable track & course heading, doesn't look like you will see waves higher than 4 to 5 meters, 12 to 16 ft. for the rest of the way, swells will be large.  

Screenshot_20230308-103959.thumb.png.36b757c14fdf5708f6a4d383c4e5ff9d.png

• Thanks 1

And then some.  Being French Canadian myself, I can only so well imagine the scene and giggle.  Rest assured, we are not all like that.  Many of us are plain Jane 🙃.   This being said, it reminded me of a term seen on the urban dictionary.  I believe it might coin the situation @PistolPete13?  Thanks for the laugh!

3BC54B19-2DF3-4B45-99CF-505B2BC83585.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pete, question on the temp on ship.

I normally FREEZE on ships as they pump the AC (and i accordingly pack long sleeves and hoodies for inside).  however, on Breakaway in January i was sweating.  i was fine in t-shirts even to the point of being warm.  i am wondering if they are cutting back on AC for cost cutting or if this was a fluke?

Morning.  I’m hearing some talk that our NYC arrival time is now 10 AM vs 7 AM 

big difference for those with flights scheduled.  Can anyone help with checking?

luggage tag times onboard still assume 7…

thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

big difference for those with flights scheduled.  Can anyone help with checking?

thanks 

Any of why the ship is behind? Weather is fine, tomorrow morning looks good. 

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

thanks 

Hey Pete, I'm still seeing 7 AM arrival time. That's from the 3/6 letter. If I do see any change, I'll be sure to let you know!

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

thanks 

Cruisemapper states 10:15 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. for Getaway and Gem respectively.  Interesting to see who is right, the cruiseline or tracker.  I am not sure what is going on in port but I venture to guess cargo ships have priority when storms are brewing.

• Like 2

Good morning from Day 12 and the last full day of this cruise.  How long before a cruise becomes too long?  For me it’s around day 8 or 9.  Would be better if I had unlimited Internet but it would also be better if I had unlimited funds too.  Still trying to figure out that second part.

I’m the only nut job sitting outside on the Waterfront.  Sweatshirt, fleece inner jacket, and down winter outer jacket with a wool cap.  I paid for a 12 day cruise and I’m going to get my money’s worth!!  Looking back on it, this cruise never really got warmed up enough for me.  The sea days had too much wind and the temps on the islands were barely hitting 80.  I never broke a sweat.

To the user that asked about the temps on the ship, I would say they tilt towards the cool side.  The cabin hallways are basically COLD.  I’m sure the venues would warm up if packed with enough people but I stayed away from the crowds on this trip.  I was never fully comfortable walking around in just a t-shirt and thinking, hey I’m warm.

As for the room, I had the thermostat fully maxed out and I never felt warm enough to do the full monty inside my room.  Maybe I’m just shy.  For reference at home during the winter my thermostat is at 60.  Have you see the heating costs lately?  So I know what I’m talking about when I say its cool on the ship.

I saw the Captain this morning at the buffet waiting for an omelet to be made like the rest of us slobs.  I did a double take because I figured he would have a personal chef on call in the Haven.  I enjoyed seeing an old lady try to cut in line in front of him but I think she was only trying to get a better look at the omelet station ingredients.  Now I’m far from being a fanboy of anyone but I had to go up and say hello while he was trapped on line with nowhere to go.

I was shocked when he didn’t recognize me as the #1 Cruise Critic poster for the last 10 days (I made that up, but am I??) and just had a surprised look on his face.  I read the room so just shook his hand thanking him for the trip and moved along.  He didn’t seem to have the outgoing personality of the Celebrity social media darling Captain Kate.  Now that’s a person who knows how to build a brand!  That’s OK.  Not trying to criticize or pass judgement, just passing along an experience.

I’m sure of you folks met me in real life you’d be thinking that here is a person that needs a straight jacket and a padded room.  Oh wait, we can’t say things like that nowadays anymore…

I also had a realization that I’ve officially cross over to being old.  All my life I always felt that everyone in charge is a real adult and I’m just a kid navagating along the best I can.  So here is a Captain of a 5000 person vessel and he looks younger than me!  Makes me question all my life choices and wrong turns.  Maybe I should look into my soul and see how I can do better….

OK, enough of that inner contemplation, back to making fun of people.

My random rants

- The ship was moving up and down all night but I was able to sleep with no issues.  Walking across the top deck this morning I saw that the main pool was basically empty and the remaining water was splashing out of the ends looking like the fountains at the Bellagio in Vegas.  I have some good video of it and shows how much ship movement there is still I guess.

- Days like this is where I miss having an observation deck area like on the Bliss or Prima.   Yes, I actually complemented the Prima.  Egads.  There is nowhere for people to go inside and everyone congregates at the 50% off t-shirt stand.

- Speaking of congregating, I assume most passengers on this ship come from flyover country where there is open space available from horizon to horizon.  How else can you explain groups of people standing around at various choke points in the corridors blocking all foot traffic and forcing people to go around you???  If I need to stop and check my phone for social media credits, I always stand out of the way with my back to a wall to avoid having a random stranger attack you from behind.  Oh wait, that’s just my NY instincts talking.

- Dinner at Cagney’s.  Where do I begin?  Sigh.  First off, let me say that my server was great and personable.  Having a friendly face makes a big difference when you’re having a meal in a “high end” place.  Why do I say high end?  I didn’t see anyone in flip flops and shorts.  The customers made and effort to dress up and I didn’t see any waiter troupes singing Happy Birthday to people.  There were fancy wine glasses on the tables.

Now just to give you context, I grew up in a food deprived environment.  That is a nice way of saying I was dirt poor.  A fancy restaurant to me involved grabbing a plastic tray.  It wasn’t until well into “adulthood” did I have to venture into any place that required the waiter to speak to you.  I’m old enough to understand the rituals, but I’m never fully comfortable in this environment if that makes any sense.  So are you all ready?  Here we go.

I normally skip the bread offering because it’s just empty calories and storage space in my belly.  But I accepted it this time.  The bread had a unique flavor that I couldn’t place but at least it didn’t break my teeth like the bread in the other dining venues.  The butter?  Had the consistency of flaky blue cheese and would shmear (see what I did there?) and not adhere to the bread.  Bad coefficient of friction right there!

I made sure to confirm with the waitress this Free at Sea dinner was 1:1:1.  One app, one soup, and one main.  She confirmed and made sure I knew about the mains with the up-charges.  I could also get a sauce and sides.  I limited my sides to two since I’m not a wasteful person.

So my choices were oyster Rockefeller, lobster bisque, rib eye (medium rare), fries (can’t spell paramagian without online spell checker), and cream spinach.  For some reason the menu was all in French with the English translations in tiny fonts underneath it.  I think I got a leftover French Canadian menu.

Both appetizers came out lukewarm bordering on cold.  That was surprising.  Maybe it was because I had a 9PM sitting and just got the leftovers from earlier?  The lobster bisque had a thimble full of lobster shavings and that’s all.  Don’t expect chunks of anything.

The steak itself was a decent size and cooked exactly right.  The amount of gristle was minimal.  I had the peppercorn sauce and it was saltier than the water I swallowed during my scuba excursion, and less tasty.

The fries and spinach were OK and nothing special flavor-wise.

I was able to finish everything just barely and that’s because I avoided the bread at the beginning.

Now at the start of the evening I saw several people leaving the place with dessert on a plate with a plastic cover.  Humm, this means we can take dessert to go right?  Nope, I was denied.  So I had to buckle up and work to down that delicious 7-layer chocolate cake.

My advice is to make your reservations for specialty dining during the first few days of the cruise.  I’ve eaten so much during this trip that leaving Cagney’s until the end was a mistake.  My body is basically telling me I need to eat ice cubes and Wonder bread for the next month to purge all the toxins out.

I ended my evening watching a movie in the atrium while listening to grown adults who should know better get increasing loud and drunk in the bar next to O-Sheehan’s.  My idea of reliving my youth would be to jump down a double diamond ski slope without worrying about needed a double knee replacement at the bottom and not screaming and yelling over a Long Island iced tea while falling off a barstool.

Well, that’s all for this morning.  My fingers are frozen and I’m having trouble typing.  Let me do a quick proof read and post this up.

Looks like it's a race to the finish with the Gem.  We'll get to NYC when we get there it seems.  Thanks for the research all!

• Like 10
  • Haha 12

I paid for a 12 day cruise and I’m going to get my money’s worth!!

OMG!!  That made me LOL!!!  Brought back fond memories of my Dad!  He would fly over to Europe (on a military plane as he was retired military--he was also retired United Air Lines and could fly for just taxes, but the military plane was free, so...)  He would always purchase the 14day Eurail pass (for seniors, of course) and he would ride the train for a total of 13 days, only getting off on day six or 7 to wash his clothes (he always stopped near a base so that he could stay for next to nothing).  He did not have a sleeper car--slept right in his seat.  NEVER got off the train for the 13 travel days, except to change trains--had to get his money's worth!  After about 2 trips like that, my mother refused to go with him, so he traveled solo in Europe on the trains until his mid 80's

Thanks for the memory!

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Pete - Consider this, they didn't lock up the Waterfront and/or access to all the outside venues last night, chilly weather & wind aside, so things weren't as bad as predicted.  Today's roller coast easing not but not smooth sailing, I'm seeing 2 to 2.5 m seas (6 to 10 ft.) but the worst for this sailing are done.  Cruisemapper showing GA at 16 knots and GEM behind at 15 knots, more small white caps on their live shipcam than yours at the moment, ETA updated to 10:30 tomorrow for them, GA still reporting 10:00 arrival tomorrow, which is as we all know, much later than usual (7 am at the dock - would often be considered not late but behind typical schedule)   Gentle breeze only ?? meaning that headwind, isn't strong and if the bridge can push harder, ship can go faster - 15 or 16 knots also meant, most likely, they aren't using all engines - 1 maybe off to "sail & sustain".  Enough of layman's inexperienced analysis.

Did you hear the captain's 10 am briefing as on this final sea day, he should inform all guests of the expected him to pickup the pilot boat at Ambrose, just outside NY harbor/channel for escort into Lower Bay, and that's usually about 1.5 to 2 hours prior to seeing Pier 88.  The other way to estimate is to use your Ch.11's navigation data, look at the n.m. distance to port/end of this cruise, divide by ship's current speed - usually yield a good number of probably arrival ... we aren't seeing those live data, maybe someone else subscribing to premium Marinetraffic plan can help.  Sometimes, USCG can establish traffic management for all ships & vessels using NY's waterway, coming & going to reduce speed due to maritime conditions.  S.I. ferries were rocking & rolling yesterday as it was windy for the Lower Manhattan crossing, ditto for the NY ferries crisscrossing various landings. 

Off-topic, GA is turning around tomorrow for another shorter Bermuda/Florida & Bahamas run - and not looking pretty for the Dockyard segment, nasty storm sweeping across by evening into Saturday & hitting the islands.  

Make the most and best out of the last 22+ hours onboard, fitness & wellness can wait - if you haven't checkout OSH's new style of wings, do it before disembarkation (some like it, many don't).  All of the MDRs today will be packed full, go early & maybe with luck, they'll get a nice window table for you to enjoy the view.  Tomorrow, if I am you, I would probably wait a little before disembarking, enjoy a nice sit-down breakfast first and watch the herd exodus madness, snap a few tele-photos of the long line on the pier - give the folks with flights, trains, buses, and limos the chance to fight their way thru CBP to catch their transportation ... b/c getting out to 12th Avenue at 10:45 or 11:15 isn't going to be fun.  The midtown express bus (do they let you take your rollberboard ??) to SI should be on a hourly midday schedule, a chilly walk with luggage but one way to burn off a little calories ... LOL.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1