New Princess Premium desserts...

Shippy

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Would it not be possible for the exteriors to be decorated in advance,  and then stored in a fridge until required ? 

I’m pretty sure they will do it that way, but they might not be able to keep up with demand. There will also be people who want the outsides  custom made. 

32 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I’m pretty sure they will do it that way, but they might not be able to keep up with demand. There will also be people who want the outsides  custom made. 

And this might be one of those "no substitution" things where people are disappointed...

Hope someone posts a time lapse video of how long it takes the outside of one of those coated glasses to melt in the mid-day heat on a Sea Day on the way to St. Lucia!  Might not even need time lapse.  It could be a holy mess within 10 feet of leaving the service counter. 

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

I don’t understand all that chocolate and sprinkles on the outside of the glass. Are people supposed to lick it off? It’s just going to melt and make a mess, I think.

I’m looking forward to watching people enjoy them next month. To each their own….

Just break the chocolate off the glass, and you have yummy little chocolate bites to eat!

kind of like the chocolate on the outside of a covered ice cream bar, but it won’t all break off and fall into your shirt.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Hope someone posts a time lapse video of how long it takes the outside of one of those coated glasses to melt in the mid-day heat on a Sea Day on the way to St. Lucia!  Might not even need time lapse.  It could be a holy mess within 10 feet of leaving the service counter. 

The inside of the glass is filled with ice cream (or gelato?) so it won’t melt any faster than a chocolate covered ice cream bar.

• Like 2

Just now, WAvoyager said:

Just break the chocolate off the glass, and you have yummy little chocolate bites to eat!

I'd have to be super confident that the outside of the glass has not been handled by uncovered hands before I put anything in my mouth that had been adhered to the outside of the glass.  I trust the interior of the glass way more than I trust the exterior. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WAvoyager said:

The inside of the glass is filled with ice cream (or gelato?) so it won’t melt any faster than a chocolate covered ice cream bar.

The thickness of the glass (those are some pretty thick glasses) makes this untrue.  The chocolate covering of the ice cream bar is in direct contact with the ice cream.  The chocolate coating of the glass is not.  Glass is not a great heat conductor so the surface of the glass is not nearly as cold as the ice cream bar.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

I'd have to be super confident that the outside of the glass has not been handled by uncovered hands before I put anything in my mouth that had been adhered to the outside of the glass.  I trust the interior of the glass way more than I trust the exterior. 

Same goes for the lollipops and bottles they’re sticking in the ice cream itself!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Why would it take forever? A couple scoops of ice cream and place a lollipop, cookies, piece of cake. 

You obviously haven't had to stand in line while they made milkshakes for 3 or 4 people ahead of you.

They could have served 10 people in that same amount of time.

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

You obviously haven't had to stand in line while they made milkshakes for 3 or 4 people ahead of you.

Agree.  They might as well block out a 30 minute segment of the Patter for you.

2:00-2:30  Stand In Line At Scoops For a Milk Shake.  Deck 16 Midship.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

The thickness of the glass (those are some pretty thick glasses) makes this untrue.  The chocolate covering of the ice cream bar is in direct contact with the ice cream.  The chocolate coating of the glass is not.  Glass is not a great heat conductor so the surface of the glass is not nearly as cold as the ice cream bar.

Are you assuming that the glass is room temperature, or chilled?  I’m assuming they’re chilled so they the chocolate solidifies, and the ice cream inside helps to maintain that temperature.  But you could be right.

Either way, I’m not sure why so many people who have no intention of trying these are spending soooo much time making up their negatives.  I don’t like white wines - wonder if I should start a “why do they offer white wines” thread.  😃. (Actually, I do like almost all wines - guess I’m just a “the glass is half full - of melting ice cream” type of guy).

Edited by WAvoyager
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, WAvoyager said:

I’m not sure why so many people who have no intention of trying these

1.  A lot of people who say that they have no intention of trying them will.

2.  I think a lot of the frustration comes from the fact that if these things were actually good or in demand, they would have existed organically instead of being made up as a "perk" of a higher priced package. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

2.  I think a lot of the frustration comes from the fact that if these things were actually good or in demand, they would have existed organically instead of being made up as a "perk" of a higher priced package. 

I purchased PLUS at $40 (prior cruises)... Princess has added 'value' to the package and now charges $60 - that's and extra $20 per person per day for something that has no "value" to me - maybe others?

did they increase the value of the drinks included? yes - $12 to $15.  Did they increase the  cost of the Cabs I drink? I dunno - but on our last cruise, I had a few $1.18 charges - takes a lot of those to get to $20 per day per person

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We don't eat the milkshakes or any ice cream on deck, so no. But, a milkshake with mixing would take much longer than the sundae, easily.

Edited by startedwithamouse

9 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I get that frustration, but if the cost/benefit no longer makes sense, then it’s time to boycott the package.

If I don’t like sushi, should I spend the time espousing all of the reasons I think sushi is nasty when others are discussing the new sushi restaurant on the Discovery?  

It’s probably just me, but I don’t understand the need to share my personal preferences when they’re negative.  Other people have different tastes and needs.  My personal negativity doesn’t (shouldn’t?) need to impact others

• Like 7

1 minute ago, WAvoyager said:

If I don’t like sushi, should I spend the time espousing all of the reasons I think sushi is nasty when others are discussing the new sushi restaurant on the Discovery?  

Different analogy. Sushi already exists. You buy it or not. Costs nothing for non-participants. And if they included sushi for free in the Plus package, no one would complain. Not all would partake but no one would gripe.  But if they included sushi in Plus and then raised the price by $10 per day, then yes, people who don’t or can’t eat sushi would complain the same as they are now. Imagine having a seafood allergy and having to pay $10 per day more for a useless add-on. Plus may still make financial sense. Just not as much financial sense as before. The decrease in value is a loss and losses cause people to vent. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Different analogy. Sushi already exists. You buy it or not. Costs nothing for non-participants. And if they included sushi for free in the Plus package, no one would complain. Not all would partake but no one would gripe.  But if they included sushi in Plus and then raised the price by $10 per day, then yes, people who don’t or can’t eat sushi would complain the same as they are now. Imagine having a seafood allergy and having to pay $10 per day more for a useless add-on. Plus may still make financial sense. Just not as much financial sense as before. The decrease in value is a loss and losses cause people to vent. 

I'll wait to vent or not vent after I get on our next cruises in March and June and find out how the new packages impact me either as  I'm ok with it or no way anymore. .  

• Like 1

Time to take a breath.

I couldn't care less about desserts, or exercise classes, or wifi.

All I know is that if I buy Princess Plus,  once I deduct the cost of the autotips, after three glasses of wine, I am ahead of the game.

So, why all the continuous discussion ? If you want a Liberace style dessert - go for it.  If that is not your cup of tea, just ignore it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

All I know is that if I buy Princess Plus,  once I deduct the cost of the autotips, after three glasses of wine, I am ahead of the game.

Mighty expensive glasses of wine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

Not sure why you say that.

Princess Plus costs me £50.

Autotips cost me about £12.

A glass of decent wine is £15.

So, three glasses of wine costs £45, add on the autotips at £12, and my daily cost is £57, which, according to my maths is £7 more than the PP package. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I don't agree with this at all. Gratuities are $18 per day. 3 glasses of wine @$15 a day and I am already ahead of the game. Not to mention having the internet available to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jaymuxman said:

I don't agree with this at all. Gratuities are $18 per day. 3 glasses of wine @$15 a day and I am already ahead of the game. Not to mention having the internet available to me.

Totally agree.

Awaiting an explanation from MissP22 !

59 minutes ago, Jaymuxman said:

In that case we are way, way ahead of the game although we'll probably not buy the package any longer.  It's cheaper for us to bring our own. 

• Like 1