Upgrading to Plus or Premier Onboard

Shelly97060

I am on Discovery now and per the officers on board - starting tomorrow you will be able to upgrade to Plus or Premier the first two days of the cruise. The first 2 people in the cabin need to purchase the upgrade.  It will be charged to your stateroom account so onboard credit can be used for the purchase.  Purchase can be made at various bars through the ship. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

54 minutes ago, wowzz said:

According to the Princess web site you have to purchase either package on embarkation day.

Seems some ships are announcing you can purchase the beverage packages the first 2 days OB.  Who would want to miss a whole day of drinks?  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

Seems some ships are announcing you can purchase the beverage packages the first 2 days OB.  Who would want to miss a whole day of drinks?  😂

Just a crazy situation. 

How can ships deviate from HQ policy. 

But you're right - what is the point of not buying the package immediately,  unless you are abstaining on day 1 ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just a crazy situation. 

But you're right - what is the point of not buying the package immediately,  unless you are abstaining on day 1 ?

lol 😂 

It’s just a push for sales.  Gives them one more chance to sell the packages.  $$

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Just a crazy situation. 

I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over this one.  It is the guest who loses out on free drinks after embarkation (unless they are reversing those back out).  Some folks board late and are busy setting up cabin and getting oriented and getting dining, etc.  As far as I am concerned, a guest could buy the package on any day - as long as they pay full price and don't get rebated for all drinks previously purchased.  AFAIAMC, this is similar to past practice on on-board purchasing.  I could also support a deadline of noon on Day 2, but often Day 2 is a port call and folks are off the ship and busy until dinner time again.  Besides, the policy wasn't that strictly written.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

If you purchase it before the cruise and have Princess insurance, it adds to the cost of Princess insurance.

Can you confirm that it is just $60 per day for Plus?

Good point.  And you could use OBC also or a GC to purchase it OB.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, billco said:

We are on Discovery Princess now. Have been for last 9 days. Person at PSD told me only on first day  of embarkation. She didn’t know answer to insurance.

Well if they are only charging $60 day/plus, then it doesn't increase insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

That is exactly what we were thinking.  🤫

Definitely makes a difference on longer cruises. Plus I have $600 OBC.

IMO - it is too much to buy now (considering I do not drink alcohol) but I almost would be tempted on the ship if I can use my OBC.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2023 at 8:22 PM, PacnGoNow said:

Good point.  And you could use OBC also or a GC to purchase it OB.

IF a guest wants the Plus now, the best idea could be to plan to buy it on board and purchase discounted gift cards ahead of the cruise (sufficient to cover the cost of Plus), order it on Day 1 and then cash in the GC's to on board account.  That could result in 10% off the cost, plus savings of insurance premiums, depending on policy.  I think Princess Premium is about 8% of fare cost, so $4.80/day on the Plus portion.

OTOH, a person who gets a discounted fare from their TA should know whether their savings would be better than using discounted gift cards.  Of course, if guest has to pay full price of $60/day on board, but guest gets 12% or more off cruise fare from TA, they are going to be better off booking the fare and not waiting until on board.  I guess one ought to factor in insurance if purchased (I don't purchase the insurance for example as we have an annual plan and I figure by FP Date I don't need the CFAR feature any longer). 

Here's what I saw by booking without plus, then adding it.  I opted for insurance.

The price of the plus package was added as part of my fare, not as a stand-alone as it was done previously.  My insurance cost went up proportionately.

Then I won an upgrade by bidding.  My insurance also increased proportionately.  

So, we went from insurance of approximately $127 to $176 for the 2 of us because of the additions. 

That's a $50 increase on insurance.  From this point forward, I'll be buying the plus package onboard, utilizing onboard credit, without the increased insurance cost.  

UNLESS I go though a 3rd party TA who bases onboard credit on total cost, then I'll make an informed decision. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

IF a guest wants the Plus now, the best idea could be to plan to buy it on board and purchase discounted gift cards ahead of the cruise (sufficient to cover the cost of Plus), order it on Day 1 and then cash in the GC's to on board account.  That could result in 10% off the cost, plus savings of insurance premiums, depending on policy.  I think Princess Premium is about 8% of fare cost, so $4.80/day on the Plus portion.

OTOH, a person who gets a discounted fare from their TA should know whether their savings would be better than using discounted gift cards.  Of course, if guest has to pay full price of $60/day on board, but guest gets 12% or more off cruise fare from TA, they are going to be better off booking the fare and not waiting until on board.  I guess one ought to factor in insurance if purchased (I don't purchase the insurance for example as we have an annual plan and I figure by FP Date I don't need the CFAR feature any longer). 

Excellent ideas.  

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I am one that gets a good discount from my TA (off the cost of the cruise). On this next cruise - I am getting $600 OBC ($300 from the promo, $50 from group space, $50 referral credit, $100 due to FCD and $100 for shareholder). I will probably book 1-2 excursions through the the ship but the vast majority of my tours will be private. So it makes perfect sense to buy onboard.

I am still working so still want CFAR. Also, this world is unpredictable. I am one that cancelled 2 days before Princess shut down due to COVID. I made the right decision at the time as I was at 75% penalty, it would have been 100% if I waited the 2 extra days. Princess ended up including me in giving me my money back. I wanted that re-assurance I can cancel if I want as I can't trust the cruise lines to make the right decisions at the right time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Part of the big push.  Probably big sales incentives for the ships to sell packages.

Wonder if all ships will be doing this?

I think they will. There was info on Princess's website that one could purchase the packages onboard starting February 20th. Part of the FAQ:

Can I purchase Princess Plus or Princess Premier when I’m on board?
Yes. Princess Plus and Princess Premier will be available to purchase on board beginning with voyages sailing 2/20/23 and beyond. You may purchase a package on the first day of your voyage.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/ 

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2023 at 6:35 PM, Coral said:

Definitely makes a difference on longer cruises. Plus I have $600 OBC.

IMO - it is too much to buy now (considering I do not drink alcohol) but I almost would be tempted on the ship if I can use my OBC.

We have $610 OBC, 12-day cruise. We are moderate drinkers and had decided to go a-la-carte. This opportunity will convince us to buy using OBC. Possibly more than we would spend a la carte, but convenience etc, is tie breaker. Also I would not have used Wi-Fi but it is an extra with Plus. I think it is a win win for us and for Princess.

I wonder if Princess has seen a decrease in PAX taking Plus with new pricing. This could be a way to recoup some of those 'losses'

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

We have $610 OBC, 12-day cruise. We are moderate drinkers and had decided to go a-la-carte. This opportunity will convince us to buy using OBC. Possibly more than we would spend a la carte, but convenience etc, is tie breaker. Also I would not have used Wi-Fi but it is an extra with Plus. I think it is a win win for us and for Princess.

I wonder if Princess has seen a decrease in PAX taking Plus with new pricing. This could be a way to recoup some of those 'losses'

I am sailing as a single with $600 OBC on an 11 night cruise. I most likely will not buy many excursions - usually go private.

I am still mixed on if I will buy it or not. I do not drink alcohol. Not really a soda drinker. Though I have enjoyed virgin cocktails on the ship and fresh squeezed oj.

I agree about convenience and that will be why I would get it if I do.