Drink Package Price Increases from February 27th.

carlmm

In Germany at least the prices for MSC's drink packages will increase tomorrow, 27th February. If one buys a package today the old prices are still valid for any future cruise.

I do not know if this has been discussed somewhere and if this applicable to the UK, US or any other market but it might be worth to check for some.

The changes have been reported by a number of German online TAs.

The systems gets more complicated, priced differ by length of the cruise, region and if booked before or on board.

Eg. for cruises of 7 days or longer in the US, Caribbean and such, it says:

Easy $ 46, Easy Plus $ 61, Premium Extra $ 85 per day.

On the other hand, the limits rise, too: Easy Plus $ 10, Premium Extra $ 16.

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

The systems gets more complicated, priced differ by length of the cruise, region and if booked before or on board.

While the limits are rising, are the drink prices rising as well?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carlmm said:

But does this mean they will raise drink prices as well meaning that pretty much it will still be the same drinks covered and drink prices going up for those a la carte. One example, are "Tropical Treasures" that are currently $10 so not part of Easy Plus plan but with the limits rising will "Tropical Treasures" now be part of Easy Plus or will those starting tomorrow cost $11 instead. 

Inflation everywhere...

Drinks will be included up to higher price limits also - probably the drinks themselves will also become more expensive.

Also the wording on service charge and pre-booking discounts has changed (seems to be more the wording than effective changes):

Until now: same basic price if pre-booked or purchased on board, but with an additional 15% service charge added to the package price when purchased on board (service charge already included in pre-booked packages).

From now on: service charge always included in the (significantly more expensive) package price, with "up to" 15% discount on pre-booked drink packages.

Edited by RudiRatlos

10 hours ago, RudiRatlos said:

Inflation everywhere...

Drinks will be included up to higher price limits also - probably the drinks themselves will also become more expensive.

Also the wording on service charge and pre-booking discounts has changed (seems to be more the wording than effective changes):

Until now: same basic price if pre-booked or purchased on board, but with an additional 15% service charge added to the package price when purchased on board (service charge already included in pre-booked packages).

From now on: service charge always included in the (significantly more expensive) package price, with "up to" 15% discount on pre-booked drink packages.

Previously if you bought the package prior to cruising you did not pay the 15% gratuity on the drinks, now it appears it is included if you buy before or added if bought onboard so no savings to be had by purchasing prior to sailing.

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

The service charge is 15% for Euro cruises and 18% for US Dollar cruises.

steamboats

Apologies for previous (since deleted) response.   Ridiculous that MSC insists on having different approaches to cruises depending on the onboard currency.   This is just another one that’s been newly introduced.   It used to always be 15%, regardless of € or $ onboard. 

Edited by Beamafar

12 hours ago, styles27 said:

I’ll probably be in the minority here when I say I’m happy to see this price increase.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Not if you want a YC booking - this is bound to have an impact on fares as the Premium Extra is included in the price. 

12 hours ago, styles27 said:

I’ll probably be in the minority here when I say I’m happy to see this price increase.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I don't really mind either. I hope this helps to prevent excessive drinking, when fewer people take a drinking package (and less waste of half-emptied cocktails). Although, the people who are most likely to drink more than they should, will probably still take one, so it might not help at all.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, sealynx said:

I don't really mind either. I hope this helps to prevent excessive drinking, when fewer people take a drinking package (and less waste of half-emptied cocktails). Although, the people who are most likely to drink more than they should, will probably still take one, so it might not help at all.

I really think it will help. I’ve cruised the other lines that do charge the service charge and it’s a noticeable difference.

It’s a baby step in the right direction for MSC. Of course this is just my opinion. 

8 hours ago, sidari said:

Previously if you bought the package prior to cruising you did not pay the 15% gratuity on the drinks, now it appears it is included if you buy before or added if bought onboard so no savings to be had by purchasing prior to sailing.

I looked it up on both german and U.S. MSC website and to me it appears as you will still pay less when prebooking, they just name it "discount vs onboard prices" instead of adding a service charge only to onboard bookings. In the end both prices are increased by about 5% (according to the link you gave).

This from msccruises.com (of course we will have to see, if "up to 15% discount" doesn't mean "far less than 15% in most cases"...):

Are gratuities included in the drinks package cost?

Yes. All MSC Cruises' pre-paid and post-paid drink packages include gratuities.

Can I purchase a drink package before my cruise?
Yes, all drink packages can be purchased before the cruise by benefiting of an up to 15% discount vs onboard prices.

1 hour ago, RudiRatlos said:

I looked it up on both german and U.S. MSC website and to me it appears as you will still pay less when prebooking, they just name it "discount vs onboard prices" instead of adding a service charge only to onboard bookings. In the end both prices are increased by about 5% (according to the link you gave).

This from msccruises.com (of course we will have to see, if "up to 15% discount" doesn't mean "far less than 15% in most cases"...):

Are gratuities included in the drinks package cost?

Yes. All MSC Cruises' pre-paid and post-paid drink packages include gratuities.

Can I purchase a drink package before my cruise?
Yes, all drink packages can be purchased before the cruise by benefiting of an up to 15% discount vs onboard prices.

That contradicts itself, it says gratuity included as it does on the UK site, so there is no 15% saving by booking prior to a cruise because it has now been included. Shorter cruises attract a higher per day cost. While we have Premium extra included for our next cruise, when I look at the Easy package it works out at £34 per day for 12 nights, someone on a 3 night cruise is paying £111 pp, so £37 per day.

22 minutes ago, sidari said:

That contradicts itself, it says gratuity included as it does on the UK site, so there is no 15% saving by booking prior to a cruise because it has now been included.

I'm quite sure it has to be read this way:

Regular drink package price will be increased and including the service charge. This will be the price to pay when purchasing a drink package on board, but for pre-bookings it will be discounted by up to 15%.

Soon we will see...

13 minutes ago, RudiRatlos said:

I'm quite sure it has to be read this way:

Regular drink package price will be increased and including the service charge. This will be the price to pay when purchasing a drink package on board, but for pre-bookings it will be discounted by up to 15%.

Soon we will see...

I just upgraded my easy+ to premium and there was not any increase in price.

8 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Apologies for previous (since deleted) response.   Ridiculous that MSC insists on having different approaches to cruises depending on the onboard currency.   This is just another one that’s been newly introduced.   It used to always be 15%, regardless of € or $ onboard. 

When they operate in £ there is no adddon.

1 hour ago, sidari said:

That contradicts itself, it says gratuity included as it does on the UK site, so there is no 15% saving by booking prior to a cruise because it has now been included. Shorter cruises attract a higher per day cost. While we have Premium extra included for our next cruise, when I look at the Easy package it works out at £34 per day for 12 nights, someone on a 3 night cruise is paying £111 pp, so £37 per day.

The premium extra  promo with booking is often way lower than the on board rate and pre cruise booking rate.

Some are as low as £10pppd the current batch on Virtuosa are £25 with the discount agents

That would be a downgrade. According to MSC specialty restaurants should still be included in Easy plus and Premium (this seems to be the new description as it has the new price limit €14 / $16, signature venues like Hola or Venchi have not been included before also):

PREMIUM EXTRA PACKAGE

Book now online your drink package at the lowest price compared to the onboard price! Includes all beverages priced up to €14 / $16!*

• Wide Selection of Premium and International cocktails
  • Non-alcoholic cocktails and all non-alcoholic drinks
  • Fresh fruit and protein cocktails
  • Premium brand spirits, liqueurs and cordials
  • Wide selection of fine wine by glass
  • Champagne by glass
  • Wide variety of draft and bottled beer
  • Bottled Mineral Water
  • Wide selection of classic and specialty hot drinks
  • 25% discount on purchased of bottled wine and champagne
  • Beverage gratuities included

*The Premium Extra Package can be enjoyed in our bars, buffet, main restaurant and specialty restaurants as well as on private islands, but does not cover our signature venues.