Navigator Reviews - Tell me more

I have been considering a cruise on RSSC and Navigator has availability for the dates I prefer.  My concern is the mostly negative reviews on CC that show a pattern in the complaints.  Vibration, worn staterooms, bathrooms badly in need of an update are three of the most common.  I understand that this is an older ship.  That said, for a luxury line, the reviews have me second guessing whether this will be a good choice.

We are traveling on Seabourn later this year and reviews are consistently excellent.  It will be our first with Seabourn.

We sailed with RSSC many years ago and it was a stellar experience. 

Can recent Navigator cruisers share some insight on her condition?  I've watched the most recent YouTubes and also read reviews on other sites.

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, caviargal said:

I have been considering a cruise on RSSC and Navigator has availability for the dates I prefer.  My concern is the mostly negative reviews on CC that show a pattern in the complaints.  Vibration, worn staterooms, bathrooms badly in need of an update are three of the most common.  I understand that this is an older ship.  That said, for a luxury line, the reviews have me second guessing whether this will be a good choice.

We are traveling on Seabourn later this year and reviews are consistently excellent.  It will be our first with Seabourn.

Can recent Navigator cruisers share some insight on her condition?  I've watched the most recent YouTubes and also read reviews on other sites.

Thanks.

First, take complaints with a HUGE grain of salt.  People tend to blow things out of proportion.  Take the age of Navigator.  It was totally renovated around 2018 or so.  Yes she's small and there is a vibration in the aft section, so it any vibration bothers you book a midship or forward cabin. But a lot of people don't mind the vibration.  We spend 40 nights on Navigator from May 28, 2022 through July 7, 2022.  We loved the cruise.  I thought the service, considering there were a number of new crew due to the recent return from Covid, was excellent.  Food was great.  There is only 1 specialty restaurant, Prime 7 plus Compass Rose and Sette Mari.  But we had the full blown Sunday at Sea Brunch and it was fantastic.  Navigator simply doesn't have the "bells and whistles" you'll find on Explorer class.  But neither does Mariner or Voyager.  

We enjoyed Navigator so much we are headed out on her again in 10 days.  Yes, she's older, but looks great.  Yes she vibrates in the aft but so do other ships and it's avoidable by booking forward.  No she doesn't have Chartreuse or Pacific Rim, but otherwise the food was as good as any other Regent ship.  Entertainment was ok.  I don't sail Regent for the shows so not a factor.  Has only 1 nice lounge, but there are a couple other small ones plus the pool bar.  But I found her very intimate, comfortable, and friendly.  

Remember, all this is very speculative.  I love Navigator others don't. So... I say if you like the itinerary and price, give it a try.  Go with realistic expectations and you'll likely enjoy the cruise. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 10

And having only one specialty restaurant is not a problem.  Print out the menus from the other restaurants on other ships.  With 24 hours notice, you can order from those menus in Compass Rose.  I think that is a plus about Navigator.  You do not need a reservation.

We will be sailing on our first RSSC cruise onboard the Navigator, we chose this cruise predominantly for the itinerary. We had some trepidation after reading some reviews but these are all very subjective and will go on this cruise with certain expectations certainly but also open minds as it will be a new experience for us both.

I am sure there is a balance to be had for and  against an older, smaller ship but as life is an adventure in itself I feel that what have I got to loose 😄

1 hour ago, caviargal said:

Thanks.

• Like 1

caviargal:

papaflamingo has nailed particulars of the Navigator experience.  Not much more to add, other than we have enjoyed the unique experience of that ship over the years.  Anticipate more this May when boarding at NYC.  . 

For a bit-more history:  Go to Page 2.  Title: "Navigator?"  Follow the musings which trace a very-interesting history for this ship all the way back to the Bad Old Days of the USSR.  

Safe seas to all.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2

• We sail on Navigator when the newer ships are not available for our time frame. It’s a delightful small ship. Service is the best. Suites are fine except for the bathroom, which is old…but clean! We prefer Explorer or Splendor but continue to sail on Navigator or Mariner, when necessary. . We only sail on Regent so we book whatever is available for us. 
    sheila

Just got off our first Navigator cruise.  Doesn't have the wow factor of the Splendor or Explorer but everything else was still Regent.  We were satisfied with the ship and have two more booked on Navigator (because of the itinerary) - May, Miami - Montreal, Jan, Tahiti.  We booked knowing full well the differences between the ships and have no problem sailing her again.  For us the Explorer, Splendor and Grandeur are in a different category - wow factor.  IMO - The Navigator is closer to Seabourn Odyssey.  

My Inlaws are going on first Regent Alaska - I made a rambling list of thoughts:

Room attendant will stock in fridge what ever wine, beer, soft drinks you want. 

Pillow menu if you want different type.

Can change comforter to blanket if comforter too hot.

Airconditioning range can be adjusted down or up by engineer - (they open or close the ceiling dampers more)

Check restaurant menus daily on tv.

Coffee Connection has cold breakfast and cronuts.  La veranda has them also sometimes.   Can have sit down serviced breakfast in main dining room or at buffet in La Veranda also has cronuts.

Pool Grill has light breakfast - also if La Veranda is too crowded just take you plate short walk to Pool Grill tables. 

Sette Mar Italian restaurant changes some menu entrees every couple days.  

Lunch in main dining room is less crowded on sea days.

Read daily events brochure (Passages) carefully everyday - has things noted that may not be commonly known. For example a special wine tasting. 

Check out the tea time daily at 4. 

Try different bars to find best bar tender - some are great others terrible.  

There are many included wines not just the ones offered for dinner.  If you don’t like ask for something different.  If you like a wine and want to keep drinking it ask and they’ll have the bottle pulled and waiting for you in the restaurant you pick for dinner.  Or send to room.  

You can order half portions of entrees if you want to try different dishes.  You can order multiple items (appetizers) to try.

If something not cooked the way you want tell waiter order again.

Sauna and steam rooms free in spa.

The pool grill always has good burgers cooked to order - open later than restaurants for late lunch.

Room service menu is extensive. And 24/7

Order room service appetizers or food for snack before dinner.

Ice cream bar in pool deck - pretty good - made everyday on ship.

Orange juice - you have to ask for fresh squeezed.  They have it - but you will get packaged unless you ask 

• Like 1

Gary Bembridge, that UK "Tips for Travelers" guy on youtube is going to drop a review this weekend about his recent cruise on Navigator. Its also his first Regent cruise.

I think he does good reviews and I am genuinely curious as to what he says about Regent and Navigator specifically.

• Like 4

Thank you for your list of initial thoughts Yankeeeclipper1. Going on our first Regent cruise in May for wedding anniversary on Voyager, chosen for its Greek intensive itinerary. Very useful tips for first time Regent cruisers. Have printed out to show my wife. Can’t wait for May!

23 hours ago, caviargal said:

Thanks, everyone.

We booked and set sail on Monday.

We're on the same cruise!  We are just finishing the repair of our house from a water line break on Christmas.  Need this cruise desperately!  1 more week!  Can't wait!  😎

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

We're on the same cruise!  We are just finishing the repair of our house from a water line break on Christmas.  Need this cruise desperately!  1 more week!  Can't wait!  😎

We board tomorrow.  Is this the same cruise? 

We are just finishing the project of repainting the entire outside of our home.    It's been a mess and it is hopefully about the last project to get this home we purchased in August just the way we want it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, caviargal said:

We board tomorrow.  Is this the same cruise? 

We are just finishing the project of repainting the entire outside of our home.    It's been a mess and it is hopefully about the last project to get this home we purchased in August just the way we want it.

DOH!  Wrong Monday.  We board on Mar. 13. 😎

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 4:14 AM, Pack Leader said:

Thank you for your list of initial thoughts Yankeeeclipper1. Going on our first Regent cruise in May for wedding anniversary on Voyager, chosen for its Greek intensive itinerary. Very useful tips for first time Regent cruisers. Have printed out to show my wife. Can’t wait for May!

What is your embarkation date?  We’re on the May 14 cruise. 

Maybe we'll get together for dinner one night.

Ray

4 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

@Yankeeclipper1  What a great summary of all the nice-to-know things that make Regent special.  Looking forward to seeing you in May on the Navigator!

Joanie

Ray

Gary Bembridge’s Tips For Travelers reviews always seem in-depth and fair.  Glad to hear that Gary enjoyed Navigator and plans further Regent cruises.  FYI, he is very open that he pays for his own cruises so he can give his true opinions.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 6:43 PM, Yankeeclipper1 said:

Ray

Ray

Would love to meet with you for dinner sometime!  It has been a while since we all met in the pool on the Explorer.  Knowing how particular you are, based on our conversations, I am now excited about Navigator, whereas before, I had a little trepidation.  If YOU like it, we are sure to like it!  😀

Joanie