Birthday while onboard.

Scorpio41

10 minutes ago, Scorpio41 said:

Do they still sing Happy Birthday? 😱

Initially stopped “because of covid” and now stopped because there aren’t enough staff 😂 

Only kidding. I’ve no idea, but suspect that the latter may indeed be a reality!

We would never let on if it was our birthday, but always found it amusing, mostly the three quick claps after each “Happy Birthday to you 👏 👏 👏

• Haha 1

I’m hoping to let it slip under the radar for the singing. I’ve managed to once before. Remember when it was the in thing to put balloons 🎈 🎈on the ceiling above the dining table and on your cabin door.😊

Card from the Captain? 

21 minutes ago, Scorpio41 said:

I’m hoping to let it slip under the radar for the singing. I’ve managed to once before. Remember when it was the in thing to put balloons 🎈 🎈on the ceiling above the dining table and on your cabin door.😊

Card from the Captain? 

And they used to pop the balloons after singing....

• Like 1

I don't  know about P&O but I have had a birthday on Princess since  they restarted cruising and the waiters didn't sing but I was given a small cake at dinner on the evening of my birthday even though neither my husband or I told them that it was my birthday, they also displayed an announcement on the interactive screens by the lifts.

20220331_193704.thumb.jpg.9fb455387d76adc97cad8b1a2e8e579b.jpg

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I don't  know about P&O but I have had a birthday on Princess since  they restarted cruising and the waiters didn't sing but I was given a small cake at dinner on the evening of my birthday even though neither my husband or I told them that it was my birthday, they also displayed an announcement on the interactive screens by the lifts.

20220331_193704.thumb.jpg.9fb455387d76adc97cad8b1a2e8e579b.jpg

Similar experience on Enchanted last year.  Whilst booking, they asked if we were celebrating anything whilst onboard and mentioned it would be our wedding anniversary and thought nothing more of it.  As you say throughout the day, whenever you were near the large screen up popped an animated announcement.  And in the evening in the Club Class restaurant section after we had ordered dessert and were eating it, suddenly the Maitre d' and all the waiting staff arrived at our table presented us with a cake and all started singing.  Wonderful moment.

IMG_0183.JPEG

IMG_0184.JPEG

• Like 5

Never had anything from P&O when it’s been my birthday on board.

But when it was birthday on a Celebrity cruise the stateroom attendant saw my cards and left a bottle of wine and a little card, was a lovely surprise when I got back and I was very touched. 

I wouldn’t want balloons or anyone signing to me, but recognition even in a small way is a nice surprise.

• Like 5

Many people cruise due to celebrations such as birthdays and with many thousands on board there will be a lot of birthdays each day.  I am not that interested in my own birthday each year and absolutely not interested in random strangers.  Plus its a dreadful tune.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al_W said:

Never had anything from P&O when it’s been my birthday on board.

But when it was birthday on a Celebrity cruise the stateroom attendant saw my cards and left a bottle of wine and a little card, was a lovely surprise when I got back and I was very touched. 

I wouldn’t want balloons or anyone signing to me, but recognition even in a small way is a nice surprise.

We were on Britannia in the Caribbean five years ago, when it was my 50th. My cards went up the first day. On the second day I received a generic 'Happy Birthday from P&O' card and a free spa treatment.👍  So, I thought that must have been down to our cabin steward noticing the cards and taking action.

Last September we were again on Britannia, this time on a Baltic cruise, and it was our daughter-in-law's 30th birthday the day before we sailed. She did as I suggested and put up her cards the first day. She got nowt!🤭

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, TigerB said:

We were on Britannia in the Caribbean five years ago, when it was my 50th. My cards went up the first day. On the second day I received a generic 'Happy Birthday from P&O' card and a free spa treatment.👍  So, I thought that must have been down to our cabin steward noticing the cards and taking action.

Last September we were again on Britannia, this time on a Baltic cruise, and it was our daughter-in-law's 30th birthday the day before we sailed. She did as I suggested and put up her cards the first day. She got nowt!🤭

My Birthday is the first day after embarkation. We shall see. 🙂

• Like 1

With Marella on my birthday I had a card, towels made up into the resemblance of a birthday cake and a free photo shoot.

On P&O I just had an email, because it was my birthday, inviting me to take  part in a free prize draw for a P&O hamper. Big deal. 😬

Grump mode on/  It made me think, do P&O really care about me as a passenger, grump mode off.

Edited by GOQ
  • Haha 1

I was on Azura for my birthday in February. We didn't tell anyone but I was woken at 7am by a phone call with someone from guest services awkwardly singing Happy Birthday to me. I was sleepy and a little stunned, I didn't know if I had to wait for her to sing the whole thing!  After a few lines I thanked her, bringing it to an end and went back to bed.

It's a funny story to tell, but I found the whole thing quite odd. I didn't get any further comments or recognition of it.

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, South_Coast_Cruiser said:

I was on Azura for my birthday in February. We didn't tell anyone but I was woken at 7am by a phone call with someone from guest services awkwardly singing Happy Birthday to me. I was sleepy and a little stunned, I didn't know if I had to wait for her to sing the whole thing!  After a few lines I thanked her, bringing it to an end and went back to bed.

It's a funny story to tell, but I found the whole thing quite odd. I didn't get any further comments or recognition of it.

😱 nightmare. 😂

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, South_Coast_Cruiser said:

I would have been annoyed to be woken up at 7am for someone to sing Happy Birthday.

1 hour ago, South_Coast_Cruiser said:

You were honoured 😂

22 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Initially stopped “because of covid” and now stopped because there aren’t enough staff 😂 

Only kidding. I’ve no idea, but suspect that the latter may indeed be a reality!

We would never let on if it was our birthday, but always found it amusing, mostly the three quick claps after each “Happy Birthday to you 👏 👏 👏

I've never been on a P&O ship on my birthday, but I was the victim of HB once on another ship even though I hadn't let on to anyone that it was my birthday. I think the cruise company must have had a member of staff checking everyone's passport info to see if their birthday would fall during their cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

On Celebrity once got a bottle of fizz and two glasses, plus voucher for dinner for two. Was traveling alone. Talk about rubbing it in! 

At least you didn't have to share the fizz!

• Like 2