Best Healthy Food Choices on Princess

mbglib

In the MDR (before COVID mind you), I had sometimes ordered steamed veggies.  I know I could get steamed carrots, broccoli, and maybe squash.  There was never a problem to get it, but I ve only sailed once since COVID and did nt ask on the last trip.

I leave next week for a week, so I may order some then if nothing looks particularly great, or if I m feeling that my bulk tonnage is increasing too much, too fast!  (I can not imagine how that could happen with a drink package and otherwise the fresh baked bread and almost mandatory deserts

each night! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sirclean said:

In the MDR (before COVID mind you), I had sometimes ordered steamed veggies.  I know I could get steamed carrots, broccoli, and maybe squash.  There was never a problem to get it, but I ve only sailed once since COVID and did nt ask on the last trip.

I leave next week for a week, so I may order some then if nothing looks particularly great, or if I m feeling that my bulk tonnage is increasing too much, too fast!  (I can not imagine how that could happen with a drink package and otherwise the fresh baked bread and almost mandatory deserts

each night! 

Thank you.  I will try that.  I know I will overeat and plan to enjoy it, but was hoping some cruise critic users might know some "secrets" to at least help in some areas.

There's usually a squeeze bottle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar at the buffet salad bar.

But seriously, live a little, you're on vacation.  Take an few extra laps around the ship if it's of concern.😝

• Like 3

"Take an few extra laps around the ship if it's of concern.😝J"

Take the stairs! 

I have a bad knee, and live a sedentary life, but I try to start at the bottom (Deck 5 or so, and try to take the stairs.  2 flights the first day, 3 the third.... and work my way up to walking up as many as I can get to over the week. 

• Like 6

Salads

Vegetarian menus (sometimes, depends what they're cooked and seasoned with)

Indian menu

Carving stations in buffet with no gravy.

Griddled chicken at Lido grill

Fruit plates

Steamed green veggies in MDR (yes, available)

Salad bar, oil and vinegar available

Salmon

Fish dishes, no sauce or sauces in the side .

Some salads at International Cafe (although they can be heavily dressed)

Meat dishes in MDR with no sauce, or sauce in the side. 

There's sugar free desserts, although they're not low carb (made with flour and all that stuff). 

Sugar free ice cream

Vodka on the rocks

Rum on the rooms

Whiskey neat

Dirty martini

Hot dog  or burger no bun.

On Royal class ships, there's a grilled veggie and meat station in the forward section of the buffet...

And so forth... Lots of options to shave some unnecessary calories, sugar, etc out of the diet 

And for all those that say things like "live s little" or "just take the stairs" , lots of people have dietary needs that have nothing to do with weight or such a - and taking a few flight of stairs does not wipe out thousands of extra calories.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

Salads

Vegetarian menus (sometimes, depends what they're cooked and seasoned with)

Indian menu

Carving stations in buffet with no gravy.

Griddled chicken at Lido grill

Fruit plates

Steamed green veggies in MDR (yes, available)

Salad bar, oil and vinegar available

Salmon

Fish dishes, no sauce or sauces in the side .

Some salads at International Cafe (although they can be heavily dressed)

Meat dishes in MDR with no sauce, or sauce in the side. 

There's sugar free desserts, although they're not low carb (made with flour and all that stuff). 

Sugar free ice cream

Vodka on the rocks

Rum on the rooms

Whiskey neat

Dirty martini

Hot dog  or burger no bun.

On Royal class ships, there's a grilled veggie and meat station in the forward section of the buffet...

And so forth... Lots of options to shave some unnecessary calories, sugar, etc out of the diet 

And for all those that say things like "live s little" or "just take the stairs" , lots of people have dietary needs that have nothing to do with weight or such a - and taking a few flight of stairs does not wipe out thousands of extra calories.  

Thank you for all the great ideas.  I do plan to live a little and take what stairs I can, but still like healthy options.  It is hard to do sugar free as I can't have aspartame.  Some things do use Splenda though which is allowed.

Edited by mbglib

We have shared dinner with a vegetarian for 28 days. When she wasn't happy with the menu offerings she spoke with the head waiter and was accommodated with other offerings. If you don't see it on the menu ask. You may have to wait for the next night to receive it but they will usually try their best to suit your needs. If you don't like the side dish that comes with the dinner you want to order they will substitute the side dish from any other dish on the menu that night. @PescadoAmarillo is accommodated with "special meals" and, if she sees I have tagged her here, she may chime in with helpful suggestions. I'm pretty sure she only eats healthy.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

We eat in the MDR daily and I ask the waiter not to put the bread basket on the table. I limit my pasta or ask for an appetizer portion for my main course. If we ate a big lunch I may order an appetizer for my main. 

• Like 6

We never get bread for our table, have boneless/skinless chicken breast and get extra veggies to replace the starches (rice, potatoes, etc).  Also if a salad is chosen, ask for a vinaigrette.  We do enjoy a dessert,, but avoid the sugar-free options, as the side effects of aspartame are worse than a little sugar.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

@PescadoAmarillo is accommodated with "special meals" and, if she sees I have tagged her here, she may chime in with helpful suggestions. I'm pretty sure she only eats healthy.

Cough cough. Let me brush the Girl Scout cookie crumbs out of my teeth before I answer. 

Let’s put it this way…I find it much easier to eat healthy on a cruise than at home, especially since I don’t have to cook two different meals to satisfy me and DH. However, it’s nearly impossible to get anything organic or sustainable, or brown rice or quinoa, or bean pastas. But I’ve found the Restaurant Managers (formerly headwaiters) very willing to work with me in planning meals.  My default is salmon and broccoli, which I can always get, even if I haven’t placed an order the day before. But I’ll often get entree sized salads, or chickpea or veggie curries and really love the roasted vegetable starters and entrees.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@mbglibBasically, using common sense  and making good choices can help you eat sensibly on a cruise or anywhere else ,really.

I have been working with a nutritionist since November,trying to get some lab test numbers in normal range.

Choosing fruits,vegetables,fiber rich foods and staying away from processed foods have helped me get my test numbers in line. The triglyceride level dropped 31 points, glucose is 91 and cholesterol levels are in the normal range. I even lost a pound over the Christmas-New Year holidays.

i did indulge in some holiday desserts and special foods, but other meals followed the guidelines the nutritionist advised.

Try to avoid pasta,rich sauces and gravy and those bread baskets.

Sugar free desserts are not advised by nutritionists.The use of artificial sweeteners are of no benefit and do have side effects. Better to have a dessert,but not eat the entire portion. Also try to limit sweets to one meal a day. 

Those frozen  cocktails like pina coladas are delicious, but pack in the calories. Better to choose a glass of wine,champagne or gin and tonic. 

While thinking about drinking, have a lot of water during the day- stay hydrated.

All the food on a cruise is very tempting. 

My DHand I would often recall a woman we knew in a Weight Watchers group we attended years ago. She reached her goal weight and,understandably so,was very pleased with her accomplishment. She went on a cruise not long after reaching her goal. She returned to WW after the cruise and was very dismayed to find out she had gained 21 pounds on the vacation. We gave her credit for returning to the WW meeting and facing the weight gain. She got back on program and eventually lost the cruise weight to get back to goal, but it was a lesson for all in the group.

Make good choices and enjoy the cruise !

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The salmon is now both wild and decent.  I find the grilled and griddled fin fish to be better than expected for the scale they’re doing it at, and they’re always willing to find me extra veggies.   I especially enjoy their carrots because they’re baton cut from larger ones, which I just find tastier than normal sized ones or stale fake “baby” carrots.  

a shrimp cocktail with three ounces of cooked shrimp has about 100 calories, less than a gram of fat and feels indulgent. 

For 100 calories, no fat, practically no carbs, and a decent source of vitamin C, consider 1.5 oz of silver rum, club soda and juice of one half lime.  Repeat as necessary. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SCX22 said:

There's usually a squeeze bottle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar at the buffet salad bar.

But seriously, live a little, you're on vacation.  Take an few extra laps around the ship if it's of concern.😝

Sadly the newer ships in the fleet do not have real promenades so one is not able to take a lap around the ship outside.