Best Healthy Food Choices on Princess

mbglib

4 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

This is it for me see photo it’s called a Volcano  😋 on the kids menu.

The Captain of The Rowboat.

CC401A18-831B-419C-8E99-000580CC5431.jpeg

505DB721-505E-4AAF-97CA-B5D724CE749E.jpeg

It is no longer on the children's menu. I hope you are not heart broken about this.

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Cough cough. Let me brush the Girl Scout cookie crumbs out of my teeth before I answer. 

Let’s put it this way…I find it much easier to eat healthy on a cruise than at home, especially since I don’t have to cook two different meals to satisfy me and DH. However, it’s nearly impossible to get anything organic or sustainable, or brown rice or quinoa, or bean pastas. But I’ve found the Restaurant Managers (formerly headwaiters) very willing to work with me in planning meals.  My default is salmon and broccoli, which I can always get, even if I haven’t placed an order the day before. But I’ll often get entree sized salads, or chickpea or veggie curries and really love the roasted vegetable starters and entrees.

That's good to know - entree sized salads.  Didn't know it can be ordered that way.  Thx!

6 hours ago, deultgen said:

I would suggest many sugar free desert options both on the menus and at the International Cafe.

They may have less sugar, but they are still loaded with calories and should not be considered a healthy choice for that reason.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

The salmon is now both wild and decent. 

It ios rare (and mostly on laska itineraries) to find wild salmon on a cruise ship.

With the quantities that cruise ships order, only contracts for farmed salmon can have the assurance the supply needed will be available.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, caribill said:

It ios rare (and mostly on laska itineraries) to find wild salmon on a cruise ship.

With the quantities that cruise ships order, only contracts for farmed salmon can have the assurance the supply needed will be available.

Agreed. And I very much doubt that the chicken is free range organic,  or that the eggs are free range . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

Sadly the newer ships in the fleet do not have real promenades so one is not able to take a lap around the ship outside.

The Discovery Princess has a blue walking/running track on the deck near the basketball court.  Seven times around equals a mile. 

• Like 2

"Healthy" and "Good choices" are in the mind of the beholder . We are talking Keto, Vegetarian, Paleo, Mediterranean, Atkins, WFPB Vegan, Atkins. Every one of those has an idea of "healty". 

You need to be your own watchdog and advocate. Olive oil may be fine for some and to others it is poison to their arteries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

The Discovery Princess has a blue walking/running track on the deck near the basketball court.  Seven times around equals a mile. 

As do Sky and Regal. However,  I still prefer a good old fashioned wrap around promenade. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, caribill said:

They may have less sugar, but they are still loaded with calories and should not be considered a healthy choice for that reason.

haha, I think there are very few "healthy" items on the ship, but I think there are lots of "healthyER" options, like sugar free deserts.

I appreciate this question, thank you for posting!  As someone who struggles with digestive issues, indulging could lead to post cruise flare up and being uncomfortable (nothing to do with calories). If there's an option for a more organic option (vegetarian/vegan), I'll usually take it.  I'd love to know if there's particular restaurants, or dishes available, on board that might be available.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, brisalta said:

Sadly the newer ships in the fleet do not have real promenades so one is not able to take a lap around the ship outside.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Walking a lap around the promenade deck burned at most about 25 calories.

43 minutes ago, MacCruising2018 said:

If there's an option for a more organic option (vegetarian/vegan),

Never seen an organic option on anything,  but I stand to be corrected.  As I posted before,  I don't believe that even the chicken or eggs are free range.

In fairness to Princess, they are catering to a budget, and organic/free range products come at a price disadvantage.

• Like 1

Given the sizes of entrees in the MDR, I’d say they were all healthy.  I’m not complaining.  I dislike waste of any sort and you can order as much as you like, but we were satisfied with what we were served and left the table every night feeling satisfied.  If you make a special dietary request in advance of sailing, you are given a card to take to the MDR the first night.  I was hooked up with a head waiter who took charge of my meals.  I reviewed the menu the night before and he helped me pick an appetizer and entree. In most cases, he made them a little different so that they didn’t include dairy, which I cannot eat.  I’m sure you could request healthy meals using this method.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MacCruising2018 said:

I appreciate this question, thank you for posting!  As someone who struggles with digestive issues, indulging could lead to post cruise flare up and being uncomfortable (nothing to do with calories). If there's an option for a more organic option (vegetarian/vegan), I'll usually take it.  I'd love to know if there's particular restaurants, or dishes available, on board that might be available.  

You are welcome.  In another thread, I read that separate Vegan menus are available on some ships.  You might ask about that.

2 minutes ago, Happy2cruise said:

Oil and Vinegar is available in separate containers.

This is going to sound uninformed and it is.  I have never used oil and vinegar.  Do you just put some of each on your salad or mix it together first?  Thanks for educating me. 🙂

4 hours ago, deultgen said:

haha, I think there are very few "healthy" items on the ship, but I think there are lots of "healthyER" options, like sugar free deserts.

Yes, healthier is what I meant and I have received lots of good suggestions that I hadn't considered.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Princess’s balsamic vinaigrette is really good stuff. I’m sure it’s not olive oil based, so I don’t think it’s made from a particularly healthy oil, but it’s healthier than most of the other dressings. I love it on broccoli and cauliflower also. 

The thing I personally worry about the most is the soy milk. I can’t believe it’s organic, and nonorganic soy products aren’t great, but, again, it’s all relative. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Princess’s balsamic vinaigrette is really good stuff. I’m sure it’s not olive oil based, so I don’t think it’s made from a particularly healthy oil, but it’s healthier than most of the other dressings. I love it on broccoli and cauliflower also. 

The thing I personally worry about the most is the soy milk. I can’t believe it’s organic, and nonorganic soy products aren’t great, but, again, it’s all relative. 

Thank you.  I will try that.

13 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess did a deal with the three leading Alaska frozen seafood marketers.   They’re serving wild pink salmon in both steak and fillet cuts.   The smoked products are still farmed abominations, but since the restart the salmon quality for at least North American departures has wildly improved.  

I’m really really picky about fin fish quality and I didn’t eat their salmon before the restart.