New Policy, only one entree at a time?

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I have never in over 30 cruises ordered more than one main or dessert.  Don't get it.  BUT, I am certainly in favor of wasting less food.  I've seen too many folks in MDR ordering enough food for several and then leaving most of it on the plate, it disgusts me.

At home I use every scrap of leftovers, either to reheat or make another dish out of it like stew, etc.  I am the product of  depression era parents. Frugality in all things 😇

I don’t order two entrees either, but sometimes we order another so we can both try it and share. 

I’m like you, I waste nothing at home, but f I order an entree and it comes out like the fish I got on the last cruise that someone had poured a salt shaker on (even the MaitreD said others sent back for the same reason) I’m not eating it and will either order something else or go up to WJ. That whole lot of fish was wasted, I wasn’t the only one that sent it back. 

I agree in seeing people in WJ with huge plates of food being wasted, so when trying something new I take a teeny bit and if I like it, I can always get more 😁

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I don’t order two entrees either, but sometimes we order another so we can both try it and share. 

I’m like you, I waste nothing at home, but f I order an entree and it comes out like the fish I got on the last cruise that someone had poured a salt shaker on (even the MaitreD said others sent back for the same reason) I’m not eating it and will either order something else or go up to WJ. That whole lot of fish was wasted, I wasn’t the only one that sent it back. 

I agree in seeing people in WJ with huge plates of food being wasted, so when trying something new I take a teeny bit and if I like it, I can always get more 😁

You do know that if people in the WJ didn’t take huge plates of food, what's left over isn't put in Tupperware and used the next day. Once food is cooked and laid out, if not eaten It's trash. The non waste only comes from food not cooked. It's the same in the MDR. That food is plated in the kitchen long before it's even ordered. If not ordered and eaten that night, it's trash. It's the only way to mass produce food for thousands at a time. Nothing is made to order and taken out of the fridge fresh. When people talk about food waste this always gets me. It really cannot safely be recycled after it's been sitting. Nor would anyone want to pay for leftovers on a vacation. It just doesn't work that way. Cooking for hundreds or thousands a day is not the same as family leftovers. There is waste because it's vs time and volume.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Yes, your name is posted on a bulletin board in the galley.

So what?

If it solves the issue - good!

People are so affraid of hurting the staff it is amazing!

They are STAFF their job is to make you happy - if they fail - let them know!

Edited by cruiseboy89130
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

So what?

If it solves the issue - good!

People are so affraid of hurting the staff it is amazing!

The point everyone is making is that your 'solution' to the problem is not going to solve anything.  I’m pretty sure you already know that so at this point I suspect that you're just trolling for fun.  Rock on, I guess. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, true45 said:

Are you kidding?

Wouldn't kid about breakfast 🙂

I started ordering something any time she did just to avoid the wait.

WASN'T A PROBLEM, just a change to the way things "used to be" which is happening all over these days.

4 hours ago, davekathy said:

If I order something and I don't like it, I'm not eating it. Feed the fish. I'll order something else. Last time I was forced to eat everything on my plate was when I was drafted in 1970, basic training. 

Didn't say I ate every bite.  But one helping is enough.  I have left things I didn't like, but on only a couple of occasions have I ordered an additional entree because I didn't like the one they brought first.  I hate wasting food, that's all.

Edited by BecciBoo

3 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

That's my point, they almost always do make me happy.  If it happened a couple times...meh.  Into each life some rain must fall, but a little rain can't hurt me.

Wanted a small helping of risotto with my steak as a side on Voyager in February and they wouldn't bring it out until I was done with the steak.  Didn't want it by then but ate a few bites.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ryder101 said:

You do know that if people in the WJ didn’t take huge plates of food, what's left over isn't put in Tupperware and used the next day. Once food is cooked and laid out, if not eaten It's trash. The non waste only comes from food not cooked. It's the same in the MDR. That food is plated in the kitchen long before it's even ordered. If not ordered and eaten that night, it's trash. It's the only way to mass produce food for thousands at a time. Nothing is made to order and taken out of the fridge fresh. When people talk about food waste this always gets me. It really cannot safely be recycled after it's been sitting. Nor would anyone want to pay for leftovers on a vacation. It just doesn't work that way. Cooking for hundreds or thousands a day is not the same as family leftovers. There is waste because it's vs time and volume.

You do know that if people in the WJ did not waste huge amounts of food, the ship would not have to budget for as much instead of blindly charging us all for it.

15 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Wanted a small helping of risotto with my steak as a side on Voyager in February and they wouldn't bring it out until I was done with the steak.  Didn't want it by then but ate a few bites.  

I will order the same this week.  It’s treating us like second graders

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

You do know that if people in the WJ did not waste huge amounts of food, the ship would not have to budget for as much instead of blindly charging us all for it.

Exactly! If people didn't take as much food, the ship would not require as much food in the first place.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Didn't say I ate every bite.  But one helping is enough.  I have left things I didn't like, but on only a couple of occasions have I ordered an additional entree because I didn't like the one they brought first.  I hate wasting food, that's all.

I didn't say I like wasting food either. Just not going to eat something I wanted to try (MDR as we don't eat in the WJ) if I don't like it. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 7:01 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Maybe because it's never smart to be mean to people who handle your food?  

Exactly!

My 2 Rules of food service:

1. Never piss off anyone that handles your food!
  2. Always make your bartender happy!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

You do know they have to make enough in advance or they will have angry crowds on their hands. Oh yes and charge more anyway because charging more is just part of life.

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Exactly! If people didn't take as much food, the ship would not require as much food in the first place.

You do know they have to make enough in advance or they will have angry crowds on their hands. Oh yes and charge more anyway because charging more is just part of life.

On 3/14/2023 at 3:58 AM, cruiseboy89130 said:

Can't wait to discuss this unacceptable rule with the maitre 😈 I'm sure after that I will get the food that I want in the order that I want!

don't be too sure 

after our request to the waiter , we were quietly told by the head waiter that thier hands were tied 

7 minutes ago, Ryder101 said:

Yes I know that but if enough people consistently didn't take as much food, over a long enough period of time, the cruise line would realize that they could reduce the amount they purchase and prepare in the future. If the demand goes down, the supply can be reduced.

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

You have to make enough food in advance to cover say 7000 passengers. You can't risk running out. Nobody is blindly over charging for it. They plan that out long in advance. 

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Yes I know that but if enough people consistently didn't take as much food, over a long enough period of time, the cruise line would realize that they could reduce the amount they purchase and prepare in the future. If the demand goes down, the supply can be reduced.

It's a buffet. Micro managed what people take and you will just have angry passengers. It's that simple.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

How about stopping passengers from bringing any alcohol on board. The ship's bars loose money for every bottle of wine and champagne passengers bring on themselves. Then the rest of us have to pay more per drink.