Passport requirements on trans Panama cruise

JudiinMt

I think that you will find that most, if not all, cruise lines have the six month validity for passports for two reasons.

1. It is easier for both the cruise line and the passenger if there is only one requirement - no ambiguity.

2. If there is a need for a medical disembarkation there is no knowing where that may be and what the requirements are and as the six month rule is generally the maximum that any country requires then you are covered in that eventually.

Bottom line - Princess's rules and you abide by them or face the consequences.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

Take a look at your travel summary and you will see the requirement for your specific cruise.

Here is an excerpt from a Travel Summary for an April Panama Canal - Ocean to Ocean ( Fort Lauderdale to LA) and it says passports must be valid for 6 months after completion of travel. 

FEA587B1-D24B-49AB-8523-32A392461249.thumb.jpeg.3478221eccec921c98991ef213e44fa5.jpeg

That is boilerplate and covers the worst case which may or not be accurate for all cruises it appears for.

Just returned March 2 from 10 day Panama Canal on the Caribbean Princess - FLL-FLL.

While in line outside Port Everglades port, a port agent, came along the line saying everyone had to a passport for this cruise, No birth certificate, driver’s license, would be accepted 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My mother used to call this swallowing the elephant and choking on the tail.  In other words your friends are willing to pay thousands of dollars for a cruise but not wanting to pay $380 ($130 standard renewal fee plus $30 expedite fee each) for two passports to ensure that they can actually take the cruise.  Hope they see reason otherwise this will be a very expensive lesson.  You've done your part!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@VibeGuy

I get super excited about getting stamps on my National Park “passport”. Lucky you.  

This reminds me of the people that chose to have their  passports stamped at Machu Picchu. There was a place where they would actually stamp your official passport. We did not. A few weeks later there was a story about a person being denied access to a country because of improper stamps in their passport.

12 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

On my two Ocean to Ocean sailings in the last 12 months, on Princess, passports have been collected and handed to the Panamanian authorities. They were individually examined and stamped, causing on one voyage a two hour delay in leaving Fuerte Amador because the authorities still had 600 to go when the last tender was scheduled.  It was very much a return to the Old Days and the Administrative Officer onboard was going prematurely grey over it, especially after some clumsy handling nearly sent one of those 3x3x6 rolling cages, filled with trays of passports, into the marina harbour.  I have distinct stamps for both entries, one hand, one mechanical, with particular notation that the entries are by cruise ship.

58A481AA-5E68-46DA-8F7C-D16B160E518E.thumb.jpeg.92b6564a8277264924e05bd90b1c491e.jpeg36A7CEC8-6183-45B8-837E-0A953B371A3E.thumb.jpeg.dd6bdb286d0cba6fdb35a127e79ed5e6.jpeg

Panama must have made a recent change?

we were in an Ocean to Ocean Panama cruise in January 2023 and Princess did not collect our passports nor did we need to get anything stamped in Panama.  Perhaps they do it electronically now?  Our cruise included the Panama City stop.

Of course that does not mean that we did not need a passport that was not expiring in the next six months.

If anyone is going abroad to various countries, I thought it was a given that you had to have 6 months left on your passport, even if your start and end destination is the usa. ill be on the same cruise 1st of April. Hopefully your friends do get on, otherwise its going to be an expensive mistake if they cannot.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JudiinMt said:

I've searched the boards for this exact situation, read the Princess website and called Princess.  Friends that are meeting us in LA for the trans-canal trip on 4/1 just realized that their passports are going to expire in August.   They are not willing to use an expedited service to re-new due to the cost.  I am warning them that they could be turned away at boarding.  They have talked to 2 people at Princess that say they will be fine as long as they have Birth Certificates and ID.  That is not the way I read the website for this particular cruise.

At this point they are planning to take their chances .... any insight or experience with a situation like this would be greatly appreciated.

Oops!! Can they find an expedited office?? State Dept is making appoints for those who travel within 14 days at the expedited rate ($160 each). Not even "regular" expedited service will get them the required papers in time now. Otherwise there's no fixing stupid .....

I'm on a closed loop out of SF and sweated getting mine in time (1/11 applied,  3/27 received, and I expedited with express shipping). Old book 28 post full of stamps,  new book 26 pages might never get stamps as that's not done most places .... no appreciable difference

1 hour ago, sammyjoanne said:

If anyone is going abroad to various countries, I thought it was a given that you had to have 6 months left on your passport, even if your start and end destination is the usa. ill be on the same cruise 1st of April. Hopefully your friends do get on, otherwise its going to be an expensive mistake if they cannot.

It is not a given. In North America for most itineraries you don’t need 6 months left. For most closed loop itineraries to the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Bermuda a passport is not required. Closed loop does not mean start and end in the US like the April 1 sailing. Closed loop means start and end at the same US port which the April 1 sailing does not. The key word is “most”. There are exceptions. We the cruise passengers are responsible for knowing what documents are required. The cruise lines confuse things by being vague and saying recommended. While it is possible the must have six months is boilerplate and not true (the US does not require 6 months) I  would not count on it. They don’t usually say must like for the Panama sailing. I can see why this sailing might have different requirements. Cartagena, Columbia for example is in South America. So while this sailing was not closed loop even if it were closed loop a passport would have been required. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

For most closed loop itineraries to the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Bermuda a passport is not required.

The cruise lines confuse things by being vague and saying recommended. 

I've seen other cruise lines generalize the closed loop requirements (to Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Bermuda), but even the general requirements (not on the documents for a specific sailing) on Princess' website are very specific:

International itineraries

A valid passport book is required for all international itineraries including:

• Africa
  • Asia
  • Australia & New Zealand
  • Europe
  • India
  • Central and South America
  • Panama Canal (partial and full transit)
  • Caribbean (any sailings that visit Martinique or Guadeloupe)
  • South Pacific & Tahiti
  • World Cruises

If your cruise involves international air travel (including flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda or Mexico) you will be required to present a valid passport when departing from or returning to the U.S. by air.

Domestic itineraries

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) governs acceptable travel documents for entry into the U.S. by sea from Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico or within the United States. We highly recommend a passport. We also require a passport for all guests in a travel party when minors are traveling with only one adult (21 years and older).† However, for U.S. and Canadian citizens/nationals on select itineraries a passport is not always required. In lieu of a passport book, these individuals must present one of the following valid WHTI-compliant travel documents at cruise check-in:

• U.S. Passport Card
  • U.S. or Canadian Issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) (A REAL ID is not the same and doesn’t fulfill this requirement.)
  • U.S. or Canadian Issued Identification Card (issued to minors and non-drivers)
  • NEXUS Card Air travel is limited to participating airports (for entry to Canada)
  • SENTRI (for entry to Mexico) and FAST cards
  • I-872 American Indian Card or Enhanced Tribal ID Card (ETC)

†We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more members to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

On select U.S. roundtrip (sometimes called “closed-loop”) voyages, U.S. citizens ages 16 and above may also travel with an original or certified copy U.S. birth certificate (or U.S. Certificate of Naturalization if foreign born) presented together with a valid U.S. government-issued photo identification. U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 15 and younger may travel with a birth certificate.

• Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco, Los Angeles or Seattle (roundtrip Seattle cruisetours excluded)
  • Canada/New England roundtrip from New York
  • Caribbean roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale^, Galveston^ or New York (voyages that do not call to Martinque or Guadeloupe only)
  • Hawaii roundtrip from Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, or Seattle
  • Mexico roundtrip from Los Angeles, San Francisco or San Diego

^Voyages that call to Central or South America are excluded and only passports are accepted. All voyages that call to Martinique or Guadeloupe require a passport.

There's no way that a cruise that's not closed loop could be interpreted as not requiring a passport (i.e., OP's friends' situation).

Some people without passports get caught by surprise on the closed loop FLL partial Panama Canal sailings.  Yes it is closed loop but those stop in Panama (Central America) and Colombia (South America) which are not in the Caribbean.  And Princess' website specifically points out that even partial transits require a passport. 

33 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I've seen other cruise lines generalize the closed loop requirements (to Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Bermuda), but even the general requirements (not on the documents for a specific sailing) on Princess' website are very specific:

International itineraries

A valid passport book is required for all international itineraries including:

se that's not closed loop could be interpreted as not requiring a passport (i.e., OP's friends' situation).

Some people without passports get caught by surprise on the closed loop FLL partial Panama Canal sailings.  Yes it is closed loop but those stop in Panama (Central America) and Colombia (South America) which are not in the Caribbean.  And Princess' website specifically points out that even partial transits require a passport. 

Notice that what you quoted from Princess says a valid passport book. Nothing about six months after. In OP's post OP seems to say the friends have passport books expiring in August. 

13 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Notice that what you quoted from Princess says a valid passport book. Nothing about six months after. In OP's post OP seems to say the friends have passport books expiring in August. 

Including your message, because I wasn't responding to anything in your message about about expiration dates.

18 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It is not a given. In North America for most itineraries you don’t need 6 months left. For most closed loop itineraries to the Caribbean, Canada, Mexico and Bermuda a passport is not required. Closed loop does not mean start and end in the US like the April 1 sailing. Closed loop means start and end at the same US port which the April 1 sailing does not. The key word is “most”. There are exceptions. We the cruise passengers are responsible for knowing what documents are required. The cruise lines confuse things by being vague and saying recommended. While it is possible the must have six months is boilerplate and not true (the US does not require 6 months) I  would not count on it. They don’t usually say must like for the Panama sailing. I can see why this sailing might have different requirements. Cartagena, Columbia for example is in South America. So while this sailing was not closed loop even if it were closed loop a passport would have been required. 

Thats very interesting 🙂  yes thats true on cruise companies being vague. Perhaps the people going might be able to get on the ship but cant do columbia. Hope the OP reports back on this thread so everyone who is curious or wants to know for the future has an answer if they were accepted.

I would have them look at their booking confirmation and travel summary under passport requirements. They will find the statement below.  If they think getting turned away at the port is less trouble than expediting passport renewal, that's their choice.

PA S S P O R T R E Q U I R E M E N T S
A passport book is required and must be valid for six months after the completion of travel. Please ensure the name on your
passport matches your name as it appears on your booking. Additionally, make certain that your passport contains blank
pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your
passport and/or obtain additional pages. A passport card will not be accepted.
There may be occasions where we retain your passport at check-in. This is to ensure that you are not inconvenienced by
immigration clearance during your cruise and where face-to-face inspection is not required.

On 3/16/2023 at 1:42 PM, jagoffee said:

Panama must have made a recent change?

we were in an Ocean to Ocean Panama cruise in January 2023 and Princess did not collect our passports nor did we need to get anything stamped in Panama.  Perhaps they do it electronically now?  Our cruise included the Panama City stop.

Of course that does not mean that we did not need a passport that was not expiring in the next six months.

Same here.  We called in Panama this past December on RCL.  No passports or other document checks getting on or off of the ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sammyjoanne said:

Thats very interesting 🙂  yes thats true on cruise companies being vague. Perhaps the people going might be able to get on the ship but cant do columbia. Hope the OP reports back on this thread so everyone who is curious or wants to know for the future has an answer if they were accepted.

Actually if there is a requirement from any country, you cannot get on ship.  All passengers must meet the countries requirement for the ship to be cleared to port in most cases.  It is not a case that one can just stay on board as as such not have to meet the requirement.  If there is a requirement it will be enforced at time of boarding.  

On 3/15/2023 at 5:58 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

You have done more than is required as a friend.  You alerted them to the issues they may encounter.  Princess Agents are not always the best go to resource.  There is nothing more you can do since they are willing to take the risk on their travel investment.  

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-74?language=en_US

"However, if you board a cruise ship in San Diego, California, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping at a foreign port during the cruise), and end the cruise in Miami, Florida, you have not taken a closed loop cruise. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires you to travel with a valid passport (including infants)."

What your friends do is up to them.   

So, what about cruises that start in San Juan, and end in New York? This one is on NCL. I’m encouraging people in another site to travel with a passport as this is not a closed loop cruise. We do stop at foreign ports in the Caribbean. 

36 minutes ago, crazycatlady82 said:

So, what about cruises that start in San Juan, and end in New York? This one is on NCL. I’m encouraging people in another site to travel with a passport as this is not a closed loop cruise. We do stop at foreign ports in the Caribbean. 

I wish I could help you here, but I know nothing about NCL.  You don't need a passport to fly into Puerto Rico to pick up the cruise, nor do you need one to disembark in New York.  Don't know if a passport is needed for any of the other ports.  

44 minutes ago, crazycatlady82 said:

It is not a closed loop cruise so a passport is required. They won't be allowed to board without a passport. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d try to get it emergency renewed but based on a lot of the check in people they might not even notice the passport is less than 6 months… just speaking from check in experience and how quick they do everything

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I wish I could help you here, but I know nothing about NCL.  You don't need a passport to fly into Puerto Rico to pick up the cruise, nor do you need one to disembark in New York.  Don't know if a passport is needed for any of the other ports.  

It isn not closed loop. It starts in one US port and ends in another. Has nothing to do with NCL. A passport book is required. Read the link from CBP you posted. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I misreported.  It is NOT a closed loop voyage since it starts in one US port and ends in a different US port.  It would be the same as going from Florida to Los Angeles.  A passport is required.  A passport may ALSO be required for some of the ports visited. 

Recommend getting a passport.  

28 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It isn not closed loop. It starts in one US port and ends in another. Has nothing to do with NCL. A passport book is required. Read the link from CBP you posted. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

It is not a closed loop cruise so a passport is required. They won't be allowed to board without a passport. 

That’s what I keep telling them but man, they keep arguing with me that an enhanced drivers license due to the western hemisphere travel whatever is good enough. I keep saying, don’t trust the cruise line, call CBP. It’s their money though.