Baltic Cruises - Russian Threat?

GSPG

I see P&O have several cruises this year to Scandinavia and the Baltics.

My geography isn’t great, but noticed one of the countries, Estonia is adjacent to Russia. Finland is too.

I have noticed what looks like Typhoon aircraft patrolling over Estonia on FlightRadar.

Seems hard to believe what’s going on a bit further south in Ukraine, but having cruise ships so close to Russia at this time seems a bit risky to me not knowing what may happen with all the missiles and uncertainty so close.

Edited by GSPG

• GSPG changed the title to Baltic Cruises - Russian Threat?

At the moment the Typhoon aircraft along with other NATO aircraft are ensuring that the Baltic is safe. If there is a threat then P&O will visit alternative ports but at the moment the situation in those countries are safe and Putin is aware of what would happen to Russia if they attacked any country in the Baltic or a NATO country. Since the outbreak last year. Ships have docked safely in the Baltic ports and there are navy vessels patrolling the waters around those areas 

1 hour ago, GSPG said:

I see P&O have several cruises this year to Scandinavia and the Baltics.

My geography isn’t great, but noticed one of the countries, Estonia is adjacent to Russia. Finland is too.

I have noticed what looks like Typhoon aircraft patrolling over Estonia on FlightRadar.

Seems hard to believe what’s going on a bit further south in Ukraine, but having cruise ships so close to Russia at this time seems a bit risky to me not knowing what may happen with all the missiles and uncertainty so close.

Cruise ships have been sailing around the Baltic for over a year with no issues. Not sure why there should be any change now. We are off to Tallinn in July (amongst other ports).

I have no worries whatsoever (apart from travelling down the A34!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Cruise ships have been sailing around the Baltic for over a year with no issues. Not sure why there should be any change now. We are off to Tallinn in July (amongst other ports).

Don't say that i'll be driving down the A34 for the first time in a few weeks from Scotland for the first time.

Used to fly down to Southampton but since became Disabled a few tears ago easier for me to drive. 😘

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Our possible last trip on P&O will be Britannia in September to the Baltic. No worries or safety fears. Tallin is a beautiful place.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Don't say that i'll be driving down the A34 for the first time in a few weeks from Scotland for the first time.

Used to fly down to Southampton but since became Disabled a few tears ago easier for me to drive. 😘

Travelling all that way, I assume you will be driving down the day before, so you will have plenty of time if things get sticky.

A week or two back I booked a 2024 cruise on Aurora to the Baltic, though I noticed that P&O now call it "Scandinavia and Northern Europe", presumably to avoid frightening potential passengers who are geographically ignorant.

As others have said, Estonia is in NATO and I believe that following the attack on Ukraine Finland have applied to join. The unexpected stalemate in Ukraine, when I suspect that Putin was confident of conquering the country in a matter of weeks, probably has discouraged him from trying his luck somewhere else. And with so much of their army tied down in Ukraine, Russia probably don't have the forces necessary to mount another invasion.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

A week or two back I booked a 2024 cruise on Aurora to the Baltic, though I noticed that P&O now call it "Scandinavia and Northern Europe", presumably to avoid frightening potential passengers who are geographically ignorant.

As others have said, Estonia is in NATO and I believe that following the attack on Ukraine Finland have applied to join. The unexpected stalemate in Ukraine, when I suspect that Putin was confident of conquering the country in a matter of weeks, probably has discouraged him from trying his luck somewhere else. And with so much of their army tied down in Ukraine, Russia probably don't have the forces necessary to mount another invasion.

I was more of the mind of ‘stray’ missiles. Think Poland had a hit which killed a couple of people, and Poland appears further away ‘from the action’ than Estonia.

15 minutes ago, GSPG said:

I was more of the mind of ‘stray’ missiles. Think Poland had a hit which killed a couple of people, and Poland appears further away ‘from the action’ than Estonia.

Yep there was a missile strike in Poland but it was found to have been caused by the Ukrainian missile defence system that was targeting the russian missile. There is a minimal chance of an accidental missile strike but Putin for all his threats isnt going to risk an attack on NATO countries as the outcome for Russia would be massive and result in a global war 

21 minutes ago, GSPG said:

Not on my map! Poland borders Ukraine.  We are booked to go on the Baltic next year and my main concern is that P&O will cancel or change it unnecessarily!

Edited by Teddy123

1 hour ago, GSPG said:

Poland borders Ukraine, Estonia is well north of Ukraine, and until there is an uprising against Putin in St Petersburg, then I think it unlikely that a stray missile is likely to hit Tallin.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Poland borders Ukraine, Estonia is well north of Ukraine, and until there is an uprising against Putin in St Petersburg, then I think it unlikely that a stray missile is likely to hit Tallin.

🤞🤞

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

Sailed the Baltic last Summer on Spirit of Discovery. Including Tallin and an overnight stop in Riga; Arcadia was in port at the same time. No problems whatsoever.

Me too. Not aware of anything anywhere. 

On 3/23/2023 at 5:38 PM, GSPG said:

That missile was apparently a Ukrainian defence missile that went astray or got knocked off course. It was close to the Ukrainian/Polish border… Tallin is approx 700 miles away from Ukraine’s border. I wouldn’t worry. We went last May and we’re going again this year. Ship was empty probably because of concerns… it was great 😊 

Don’t want to alarm you but funny story… whilst we were on our cruise in the Baltic coming away from Tallin, I saw a periscope coming towards the ship from an angle at the rear… twice before veering off. I suspect it was a sub doing practise attack runs. Pretty cool though.