Is Wonder really a wonder?

Perhaps if you’re buying the cruise, he can purchase the key for his family? That’ll help with lines as I believe there are some dedicated times for certain things, embarking line is faster and also reserved section seating for shows so he won’t feel as rushed to get to them. 

I think there’s a lot to do on oasis class ships, if you don’t want to be in lines there are ways to avoid it - ie skip my time dining, don’t be at the gangway at all clear time, etc…

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 11:26 PM, Wendylet said:

Planning a trip at some point on the Wonder and we are gifting this trip to our two daughters, their husbands and their children and ourselves. I have one unenthusiastic son in law who flat out says he has no interest in a cruise…..even though it is free for him. I want to rap him upside the head! I asked him to look at the Wonder to see how fantastic it looks but he simply says he is sure there will just be lines everywhere to do anything. He hates lines. Never having cruised a ship this size before can anyone tell me how bad the lines are for slides and other activities. Likely we will be cruising the Caribbean in either a January or April. I wish someone was giving ME a free trip!!

I have not read any comments on this and chiming in a bit late so apologies if I am being repetitive but here it is....

I am currently in the pre planning stages of a trip which would bring my 2 adult children and significant others on an all expense paid cruise/family get together in the near future. If I had a son in law that wanted to com[plain about that I would tell him to keep his entitled A$$ home and we will go without him... and that's enough said !!

Cheers

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mickeygirl78 said:

Perhaps if you’re buying the cruise, he can purchase the key for his family? That’ll help with lines as I believe there are some dedicated times for certain things, embarking line is faster and also reserved section seating for shows so he won’t feel as rushed to get to them. 

I think there’s a lot to do on oasis class ships, if you don’t want to be in lines there are ways to avoid it - ie skip my time dining, don’t be at the gangway at all clear time, etc…

Thank you for that information. Since I have never cruised RCL before I am unsure about the “key” you mentioned. Sounds like something I should look into. 

2 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

I have not read any comments on this and chiming in a bit late so apologies if I am being repetitive but here it is....

I am currently in the pre planning stages of a trip which would bring my 2 adult children and significant others on an all expense paid cruise/family get together in the near future. If I had a son in law that wanted to com[plain about that I would tell him to keep his entitled A$$ home and we will go without him... and that's enough said !!

Cheers

Well said! I have been having this very same thought. The only thing stopping me from pushing for this is that it would be hard for my daughter to be the sole parent of 2 very active young boys. Might be more of a hardship for her and impact her ability to really enjoy the trip. Having said that having a grumpy husband around could do the exact same thing…..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mickeygirl78 said:

>>> And.. now she is gonna buy him the Key

7 hours ago, Wendylet said:

Well said! I have been having this very same thought. The only thing stopping me from pushing for this is that it would be hard for my daughter to be the sole parent of 2 very active young boys. Might be more of a hardship for her and impact her ability to really enjoy the trip. Having said that having a grumpy husband around could do the exact same thing…..

She won't be the sole parent , you'll be there as a support person also !

And that's definitely better than the grumpy husband. 

And maybe you hit the nail on the head this time ... He thinks it's gonna take work to 'parent'

Cheers , GL

14 hours ago, Wendylet said:

Thank you for that information. Since I have never cruised RCL before I am unsure about the “key” you mentioned. Sounds like something I should look into. 

Yes, great for Royal. Your group would be at $300 per day everyday. But you might avoid a line or two and you wold get the modified Chops lunch in Windjammer. 

Not everyone will enjoy the same things and some people really just wants to sit around on their vacations.  Yes, it's a "family" vacation and a very nice gesture, but at the end of the day, you will never be able to convince him to like it.  

His excuse is lines.  I now a person who has an excuse of not wanting to drive 3 hours, than pay for parking.  His entire family wanted to go but him so they did not.  

So if he as no issues with your Daughter and kids going, than don't push it, leave him back home, but whatever you do, don't give up your fun with family over it. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 10:26 PM, Wendylet said:

Planning a trip at some point on the Wonder and we are gifting this trip to our two daughters, their husbands and their children and ourselves. I have one unenthusiastic son in law who flat out says he has no interest in a cruise…..even though it is free for him. I want to rap him upside the head! I asked him to look at the Wonder to see how fantastic it looks but he simply says he is sure there will just be lines everywhere to do anything. He hates lines. Never having cruised a ship this size before can anyone tell me how bad the lines are for slides and other activities. Likely we will be cruising the Caribbean in either a January or April. I wish someone was giving ME a free trip!!

Tell him you're getting the key so he can avoid most lines.  I hate lines to and travel with an ADHD kid and with the key we don't wait to get on or off or at shows.  We never have to wait to eat cuz we have an assigned dining time.  The only line I remember waiting in was Starbucks but that was no worse than my one at home.

21 hours ago, mickeygirl78 said:

I would definitely choose early dining.

Thank you to everyone for your input. Something I am considering, listening to all these wise words, is actually taking separate holidays. Still cruise with the one daughter whose family is so excited to do it and then a separate one with this other side to something that suits them better. Perhaps a land holiday at an all inclusive with lots of swimming and not many “lines”. Who knew it would be so difficult to give away a free trip!

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 9:26 PM, Wendylet said:

Then let him stay at home.

On 3/25/2023 at 5:50 PM, Tree_skier said:

If you have to convince somebody to come on a cruise you are all probably going to end up miserable.  Leave him behind.

Especially as he has been on a cruise before. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wendylet said:

Thank you to everyone for your input. Something I am considering, listening to all these wise words, is actually taking separate holidays. Still cruise with the one daughter whose family is so excited to do it and then a separate one with this other side to something that suits them better. Perhaps a land holiday at an all inclusive with lots of swimming and not many “lines”. Who knew it would be so difficult to give away a free trip!

Every family is different and this sounds like a great idea.

Maybe go to the Schuswaps and rent a house boat with the one family and Wonder for the other.  Two different types of sailings.  One will be more economical than the other but it isn’t like you have to give the one family cash to make up the difference.

A couple other ideas… how about taking one on Wonder and the other on an Alaskan cruise. The heat won’t be as oppressive and the flight times will be way less for the one family.  You also get two cruises, going on both. 😁

You could also try to see if you could get the Villa Suite with Star Class or two ATS which hold your families, if money isn’t an object, and many lines will disappear.  Your SIL might become a cruise diva though, and never want to go without Star again. 🤪

I was going to suggest a trip to the West Edmonton mall water park and stay at the hotel, but then noticed you are from Edmonton.  There would be lines there too, but he wouldn’t have to travel far to get there. 😉

Edited by A&L_Ont

Maybe you can drop him off at Adventure Ocean with the rest of the kids 🙄

You are incredibly generous and it is your business who you choose to spend your money on. However, your son-in-law sounds like an entitled brat that should either be left behind or told that if he IS coming, he will act like a respectful adult and not ruin the trip for the other family members who know how to show an ounce of gratitude. I know you're just trying to create memories with your daughter and grandkids, but your SIL is being ridiculous, acting inconvenienced by a luxury cruise vacation. Also, if you're adopting I'm a load of fun and would be happy to replace him 😉😆

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2023 at 2:54 PM, GetToLivin said:

Maybe you can drop him off at Adventure Ocean with the rest of the kids 🙄

You are incredibly generous and it is your business who you choose to spend your money on. However, your son-in-law sounds like an entitled brat that should either be left behind or told that if he IS coming, he will act like a respectful adult and not ruin the trip for the other family members who know how to show an ounce of gratitude. I know you're just trying to create memories with your daughter and grandkids, but your SIL is being ridiculous, acting inconvenienced by a luxury cruise vacation. Also, if you're adopting I'm a load of fun and would be happy to replace him 😉😆

Nothing wrong with 3 daughters!!!

• Like 1

You all are way too nice.  If it was my son-in-law, I would pull out the full amount of Jewish guilt and tell him the best thing about this cruise is being with family, and that he better not let my daughter feel bad by ruining everyone else's fun time.  

Of course my kids are 16 and 18 so I do not have a SIL to deal with, but that is how it would go in my dream scenario

On 3/26/2023 at 11:28 PM, Wendylet said:

It’s interesting how you keep focusing on giving away a free trip. It sounds like you are a very controlling person who thinks everyone should do what you want to do because you are paying for it.