best Carnival excursions Thomas,Barbados,Dominica ?

Does anyone have any love for Carnival excursions at St Thomas, Barbados, and Dominica?  

We are taking a long cruise with 6 sea days...im going to be ecstatic to get off the ship and onto land.   We have pretty good idea what to do in St Lucia (catamaran) and St Maarten (Maho Beach) but the other three stops have me perplexed.  Never been to Dominica and we're not big hikers so that one is probably our biggest challenge.  

I didnt see any excursions listed for Barbados yet.  Only been there once and spent most of the day on a catamaran.  probably looking to do something on the island this trip.  

For St Thomas i'm leaning towards getting over to St John.   never been there but have heard wonderful things. 

Many thanks! 

Guest BasicSailor

Being the Dead Mans Bar in St Thomas is long gone (Pour your own drink). Most people like the sky lift. But the price has more than doubled/ tripled over the years. The good thing is if you're looking for a quick inexpensive lunch the local Wendys is across the street near there. We just did a local bus tour at the others. Shopping and so forth.

Edited by BasicSailor

In Barbados several years ago, went on a non-ship tour to the Mount Gay Rum factory for a tour, lunch and rum-tasting.  Pretty interesting with good food and a variety of rums, including their top of the line. 

7 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

For St Thomas i'm leaning towards getting over to St John.   never been there but have heard wonderful things.

Personally, I don’t think that the 1.5 hours of beach time is worth that particular excursion. We will be in St Thomas again this December, and I’m planning on going back to Coki Beach. I love snorkeling and there’s so many fish right near shore there. It’s really easy to take a taxi right from port to Coki Beach, and back again. 

• Like 1

Go to the Boatyard, in Barbados!!  Our family has had lots of fun there over the years. https://www.theboatyard.com/

We really enjoyed going to St. John, but we've also loved Paradise Point and Mountain Top in St. Thomas.  We've been there on multiple cruises!  One of the best personal tours we've taken there was with Godfrey Tours.  Exceptional service.     https://www.godfreytours.com/

It sounds like you have an awesome itinerary.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

On the tour to St. John you spend most of the time getting there and back. We didn't feel it was worth the little time we got to spend on the beach.

We did an excursion in St. Thomas in January that stopped at Drake's Seat (for the photo op), then took us to Magen's Bay for a couple of hours (we saw a bunch of sea turtles there), and finished with the sky ride to Paradise Point (where we drank Bushwacker's under a double rainbow and toasted the sunset). We had a really great time!

We did St. John's on our own and this gave us several hours at the beach.  Trunk Bay on St. Johns is a great beach.  We got off the ship and went straight to the taxi stand.  Took a taxi to the ferry for the trip to St. Johns.  Took a taxi to Trunk Bay.  If you go on your own you have more time on the beach.

St Johns.jpg

On 3/25/2023 at 9:56 AM, havanadaydreaming said:

Does anyone have any love for Carnival excursions at St Thomas, Barbados, and Dominica?  

We are taking a long cruise with 6 sea days...im going to be ecstatic to get off the ship and onto land.   We have pretty good idea what to do in St Lucia (catamaran) and St Maarten (Maho Beach) but the other three stops have me perplexed.  Never been to Dominica and we're not big hikers so that one is probably our biggest challenge.  

I didnt see any excursions listed for Barbados yet.  Only been there once and spent most of the day on a catamaran.  probably looking to do something on the island this trip.  

Many thanks! 

I do the St. John's trip that is a bus ride all around the island (no beach).  It's a good introduction to the beauty of the island.  The boat ride over/back is relaxing.  You'll have plenty of beach opportunities in the other ports.  

Dominica is lush so maybe just a bus tour.  If docked 'downtown', it's an opportunity to experience an authentic island town.

In Barbados we did the Boatyard- nice day there.  In St. Thomas we have done the island jeep tour, champagne catamaran to St. John - very nice, and walked over to the sky tram to mountaintop.  Had lunch and afew drinks up there - nice view.  Can do it on your own - close walk to the ship. Think it is $22 for sky tram ticket pp.  In Dominica we did the rain forest arial tram- nice and relaxing.  Saw sloths in the trees!  Walked the town of Roseau.  Did river tubing.

We are doing the same itinerary in October. St Thomas it’s easy to get to Maagens Bay, there are shuttles back and forth all day. It’s a nice beach. Trunk bay is beautiful too, but it’s a bit much to get there since it’s on a whole other island. (IMO) we booked the honeymoon beach party cycle boat, something different this time. we’ve never been to Dominica so we are doing the wacky rollers rainforest tour. Barbados we plan on boatyard beach, it looks beautiful. Idk why no excursions show yet! Weird. 

Barbados,  I would have to say the Boatyard.  It was the highlight of our trip.  We just took a taxi,  and they bring you back when you want to go back to the ship.  Make sure you take the free boat ride.  I think they also give you a free drink.

Edited by Love being Mimi
  • Like 1

A basic island tour (any destination!) is always a good bet

if you have nothing else in mind!
A basic island tour will give you a good cross-section
of what that destination is about: you'll see

some of everything on offer
- it's hard to go wrong with that choice.

These pics are the S-East coast of Barbados.

Crane-778.jpg

BBay-127.jpg

Dominica...

We did a tour years ago with a company called Bumpiing tours ( yes it has 2 i's) but i think they were a victim of the pandemic. It was the tour we compare everything else to. They have a reef there with volcanic bubbles that is warmed ( called the champagne reef) with a variety of fish and coral, swam up a gorge were pirates of the Caribbean was filmed as well as a island tour. With a little research you may find a tour similar. Beautiful island that you dont get to see on a cruise very often. We will be there next Feb on the Venezia