Shore Excursion Reasoning

Guest 4-2-N-8

95% of the time we do private tours with only those we are traveling with. 

Absolutely will not do ship tours that involve a coach tour, a walking tour, a beach break, snorkeling, lunch or an “on your own”. Private tours can be more cost effective, customizable, more time at sights you want to see and you aren’t hearded around with an ear bud. 

The only time I ever consider a ship tour is if a destination is far from the port and the timing is tight getting to and from.  

• Like 1

As a solo traveler, I mostly do ship-based shore excursions as they are less than doing a private tour even if I could find one that would take one person only. Exceptions are snorkeling things in St Maarten (YAY Soualiga Destinations) or my upcoming Restless Native snorkel in Bermuda as those are private small group, but they do the grouping for you - and the itinerary is set/weather dependent.

I'd personally never do one organized by a fellow cruiser because I would only be one person in the group. I have a friend who as a solo did join one organized by a fellow cruiser couple. They all got in the vehicle, then the rest of the group on the tour said "So we've been talking and we want to do this instead..." when they had talked among themselves but NOT included my friend who signed up with them for the thing they would now not be doing. The guide noticed her shell-shocked face, but felt helpless to say no to the larger group. She was stuck going to what they wanted to do and missing what she had wanted to see (that she could have done through a ship tour) because the car was already moving. So, yeah. Sorry, but no, I'm not trusting fellow cruisers with a private excursion.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 4

We’ve tried both and prefer celebrity’s own partly over concerns on returning late and also because twice (once in Costa Maya and then in Aruba) we booked private tours that were expensive and shocking not resembling what was advertised at all. On both occasions on trips that were supposed to be all day we were sat in a taxi heading back to the ship within an hour. 

I do whatever fits my needs. Sometimes a ship excursion, sometimes a private one. It's nice having a choice, isn't it?

I refuse to pass judgement on what someone wants to do and how they want to do it. But there are some good observations here and enough information to help others make their choice(s).

• Like 5

We normally don’t  do excursions thru the cruise ship.   We had some OBC and seen something that appeared to be interesting.  Mistake.  Hurry up and wait.  Get on and get off.  Wait for the stragglers.  Not worth the time, effort or cost.  Could have used the OBC for something worth while.   Included was lunch in a local restaurant.  It wasn’t a restaurant but a place that was for the tours.    The food was terrible, it was a cheap buffet.  It was supposed to be chicken.  I think it was pigeon.   There was hardly any meat.  It was mostly breading.   There was rice and beans, and a salad.   Never again.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 3

My first cruise we booked utilizing the ships excursions.  After that, I started booking on my own. I have found that not only are the excursions booked independently less expensive, but they are also much more enjoyable.  You don't have to wait around for 40 other people to come back to the bus, you are not taken to vendors who are just trying to sell you something (like watching rugs being made), and you have the ability to to adjust the trip to your interests. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So if I might ask, if someone doesn’t feel well at least 48 hours prior to a ship excursion, they can cancel the excursion without penalty. If within the 48 hour period, they have to first visit the ship’s doctor in order to be able cancel the excursion and get a full refund. In my case I sprained my ankle the day before a ship excursion and was able to get a full refund once I went to see the ship’s doctor.

If you’re on a private group tour, how far in advance do you usually have to cancel your seat(s) on the excursion for medical reasons other than having COVID? If you get a full refund, do the other guests on the private excursion have to make up the difference? 

Like jelayne said, handling last minute cancellations depends on the independent tour.  During our most recent TA cruise on Constellation, I had tour guides (Rome & Ponta Delgada) that asked for no money up front and to be paid at the conclusion of the tour.  If we cancelled at the last minute, we owed nothing.  I had another independent tour (Toulon) ask for a 20% deposit that was forfeit if we cancelled with less than 45 days before the tour. 

We try to avoid tours that require payment up front and have a strict cancellation policy (unless the price was cheap and we were willing to lose it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTW we have no issues with booking a private tour for just the 2 of us, especially if it’s on transition day in an awesome port, such as Athens, Dubai or even Quito, waiting for a late flight home after going on a Galapagos cruise.

Our issue is with private group tours, especially when we don’t know anyone else on the excursion. For us, we much prefer to get “lost in the crowd” on the cruise line excursions rather than getting cosy with folks packed into a 6-12 passenger van. But, again, that’s just us. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I agree with everyone who stated if a ferry involved like Tulum.  I wouldn't in St. Thomas to St. John as it's fairly easy to DIY.

I hate ship excursions especially with snorkeling as they have too many people and too many rules.  I also hate the bathroom and gift shop stops.  We do have a ship excursion for Chichen Itza and also Belize upcoming which has to be ship.

We hate cruise ship excursions as well. We did Chichen Itza by plane. Great way to go. It included a private tour of the site and we were done by the time the haggard cruisers arrived in their crowded buses.   😁

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

We hate cruise ship excursions as well. We did Chichen Itza by plane. Great way to go. It included a private tour of the site and we were done by the time the haggard cruisers arrived in their crowded buses.   😁

I have seen this in the past.  I have a few upcoming trips to Cozumel and will gladly pay for this option whether ship or non ship.  Would obviously prefer ship with logistics of a flight and distance!

• Like 1

In general, we're no fans of ship's tours either. Even if one overlooks the price there is the hanging around to consider - not least of which is at the meeting point on board.

Where we do sometimes use them is in tender ports. We prefer to be off the ship early and queueing for tenders (if not in the Retreat) can often result in a greater delay than is ideal. Booking a ship's tour can get round that problem.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

BTW we have no issues with booking a private tour for just the 2 of us, especially if it’s on transition day in an awesome port, such as Athens, Dubai or even Quito, waiting for a late flight home after going on a Galapagos cruise.

Our issue is with private group tours, especially when we don’t know anyone else on the excursion. For us, we much prefer to get “lost in the crowd” on the cruise line excursions rather than getting cosy with folks packed into a 6-12 passenger van. But, again, that’s just us. 

We have done excursions organized with small groups from our Roll Call.  We know them from the Roll Call or from Cruise Critic but of course have never met most of them in person until the cruise.  Sometimes we meet them on ship prior to the excursion and make friends.  Often lasting through the cruise or beyond.  This was easier to do when the CC roll call parties were happening.

Another example would be to organize an excursion with some folks on the cruise who we have often posted with here on CC.  For example, we have not (yet) met in person but I feel like I know you in general from our interactions over the years here on CC.  We have a number of things in common.  So a shared excursion would be enjoyable I think.  There are other posters here who I would avoid like the plague!☺️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

There are other posters here who I would avoid like the plague!☺️

I would avoid booking an excursion with some of the posters here on CC too.

But, or course, those posters would probably want to avoid me like the plague too. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

For example, we have not (yet) met in person but I feel like I know you in general from our interactions over the years here on CC.  We have a number of things in common.  So a shared excursion would be enjoyable I think.  There are other posters here who I would avoid like the plague!☺️

Hopefully, one day that will come and we can sit out back at the Sunset Bar and have a beer! As you might imagine you'll know when we're on the same cruise as I will have a Live From thread going. 😂 

On our B2B Summit cruise last August to Greenland and Iceland, we ran into Jim and Iain while my DW and I were on a walk around Qaqortoq and had a great visit! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

There are other posters here who I would avoid like the plague!☺️

I wonder if anyone has had the experience of meeting a person on board with whom they had a good time and later finding out they were a CC poster they really didn't like...

18 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

I wonder if anyone has had the experience of meeting a person on board with whom they had a good time and later finding out they were a CC poster they really didn't like...

My wife  😱🤪🤗🙄

NOT TRUE 😍🥰

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 2

Count us in with the "it depends" folks. 

We have taken some wonderful excursions in the Caribbean and in Alaska that were through the cruise line, and some wonderful excursions in the Caribbean and in Alaska that were booked through outside parties.

We have been on a few lousy excursions in the Caribbean and one so-so excursion in Alaska, and all were booked through the cruise line.

• Like 2

A perfect example of why I look at private tours, aside from the many good reasons already given is: frustration with Celebrity. Sailing in December of this year and I placed 5 ship excursions in the cart while also looking at private tours -especially Barbados where the only ship excursion to Harrisons Cave is only for those in wheelchairs! Found a private tour to the cave that we will book at a very reasonable price and highly rated on TripAdvisor. I go to remove the ship excursion that I picked for this stop and nothing happens when I hit REMOVE, repeatedly. I then found that the same is true for the other four cruise tours too. Called Celebrity for Shore Excursion IT assistance x 2. Both times I was told " we can go ahead and put those on your credit card! I explained the whole situation again and asked for phone number for IT/computer assistance. Was told BOTH times, " we don't have an IT department!!" Have used private tours all over the world and have never had a problem, paid less, and certainly never missed the departing ship.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 1:23 PM, jean87510 said:

I think most of us would agree that ship excursions that involve beach time on the island are not worth it.  Also ship excursions in the Caribbean unless a ferry transfer involved, are just not worth it.  A ship transfer on Day 1 of an overnight to Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda is overpriced and ridiculous.  Take a bus.  You won't miss the ship.  Every pier runner has shopping bags or is drunk in the Caribbean.  The outside tour guides if reputable keep great track of time and people don't miss ship.  

I have found excellent recommendations for non ship sponsored tour guides.  Some were great.  Some I wasn't fond of like Woodwind or Soualiga.  Not a big fan of the owners.  But it still was a better professional experience then being in a herd of sheep on a cruise excursion.

Out of curiosity, what did you not like about Woodwind? We will be going on their excursion in 2 weeks. 

4 minutes ago, lettrich said:

Out of curiosity, what did you not like about Woodwind? We will be going on their excursion in 2 weeks. 

I didn't like the owner Dee's response to questions regarding the snorkeling rules.  I know people like Woodwind and golf carts on Bonaire.  I like neither.  But everyone is different.  People probably wouldn't like what we do. We were just in Bonaire and we opted to go to Klein Bonaire for $50 total for water taxi.  We have a portable tent, our own snorkeling gear, and a cooler which we stocked with ice, sodas, waters, and granola and protein bars.  Snorkeling was amazing.  We like independence not organized follow the leader tours UNLESS it's just us or maybe another couple and a guide.  

• Like 2