Alaska Sea Only Cruises Help

Looking to take a sea only Alaska cruise in 2025.   Since nothing is listed yet, looking at 2024 to get an idea of what's available.  But when I go to destination, the only choice is Alaska and Yukon, which lists land/sea cruisetours only.   Anybody know how I can find sea only cruises?

Found a reference outside of HAL website about a 14-Day Great Alaskan Explorer in 2024 which would be perfect for 2025.  But apparently it is only in May and September.  If that's the case, anybody been on it during those two months?  Think those would be the worst weather.

Thank you. 

The two week explorer may only be available in May and September, unfortunately.  You can always book back-to-back one week Alaska cruises out of Seattle or Vancouver.  That may be the only way to do a 14 day sea only Alaska cruise on HAL during the main summer months.  Having said that, don't be so sure you would have the "worst weather" during May and September!!  I've had frigid and rainy weather in Alaska in July and GORGEOUS weather in both May and September!  With Alaska, it's really a gamble no matter which end of the season you sail, and even if you go in July and August there is NO assurance of "good" weather.  If you love the itinerary of the 14 day sailing, I would say go for it.  But if you really want to go mid-summer, book a back - to - back. [Editing to add: I've sailed to Alaska every year with HAL since 2004, have experienced every month of the season, and my MOST memorable "favorite" cruise was in September!  Tracy Arm - we saw hundreds (no, I'm NOT exaggerating!!) of whales! It was magical.  It was chilly at times, yes, but sunny and gorgeous, and did I mention magical?

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 2

I lived in Alaska decades ago, am in love with it, and go back whenever I can, travelling year round. I've been watching these 14 day cruises over the years because the itineraries are so unique with ports like Kodiak, Homer, and Valdez (as well as downtown Anchorage - not hours away in Whittier or Seward). You will see a very different (I would say even more authentic) perspective of Alaska. A B2B of 7 day cruises is not going to be the same at all.

Back in 2018, the Zaandam did these 14 day itineraries all season. In 2019, both the Maasdam and Amsterdam did occasional 14 day itineraries. Then the world changed and we're all trying to figure out the new normal. HAL appears to be trying out these itineraries again in these May and September 2023 and 2024 cruises. I suspect the 2025 offerrings will be different (better or worse) based on their experiences.

If your only 2025 options are May or September, don't let the weather deter you. I've seen spectacular days in both months as well as the too common cool and drizzly days you can get all summer. Layers and raingear are necessities year round. I dare say sitting in the rain eating fresh seafood from a local food truck is an authentic Alaskan experience!

• Like 3

I was on the Celebrity Millennium for two weeks back to back last July.  We had two solid weeks of nothing but rain, waves, and wind.  It was my 21st cruise to Alaska, and I never had such rotten weather.  OTOH, I’ve sailed mostly during Memorial Day weeks in May and although misty and a day or two of rain, especially in Ketchikan, we always had a few days of sunshine.

I’m booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam 14 day trip beginning in early May next year just to see the new to me ports.

6DAB7AC1-99E6-4A17-9FEE-D37742327CB7.png

I have been on a 14 day HAL cruise out of Seattle in Sept. and it was great.  Weather was nice for the most part plus we got to stop at several new ports, some of which do not get much cruise ship traffic, so you do get a better view of normal Alaska life (IMO).  The problem with booking back to back Alaska cruises is that they go to the same ports (for the most part), plus turnaround day is a bit of a wasted day.  Also, you often end up with more sea days on two seven days than on the 14 day cruise.

• Like 2

As I see the website it's confusing but should be there.

Find a Cruise

Filter

Your only choice is "Alaska and Yukon" but once you look for a destination the list of destinations takes up the whole page.

You need to scroll down the page (on my browser it's a bar at the far right of the screen) and you will get to "Depart from" as the last of primary filters.  Your choices of interest will be "Seattle" and "Vancouver"

They still seem to want to push land tours but you should get a lot better idea.  I think if you continue to "More Filters" and select "Cruise First" you should get the cruises that are going to

Having second thoughts now and forget about destination and focus on Vancouver and Seattle as departure ports.  Another possibility since you're looking at 2025 is to keep an eye on things since ship schedules come out before tour schedules.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Time For Dreaming said:

Looking to take a sea only Alaska cruise in 2025.   Since nothing is listed yet, looking at 2024 to get an idea of what's available.  But when I go to destination, the only choice is Alaska and Yukon, which lists land/sea cruisetours only.   Anybody know how I can find sea only cruises?

Found a reference outside of HAL website about a 14-Day Great Alaskan Explorer in 2024 which would be perfect for 2025.  But apparently it is only in May and September.  If that's the case, anybody been on it during those two months?  Think those would be the worst weather.

Thank you. 

We took the 14 day Alaskan Explorer cruise on the Amsterdam Aug. 26 to September 9, 2019 to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and it was a very good choice!  I just went through the photo book I made of the cruise and the weather was outstanding.  I don't think we had any rainy days at all.  In fact I would say we had sunny skies about 75% of the time.  There were some cloudy days in Anchorage, Homer and Sitka.  Tracy Arm scenic cruising day and Hubbard Glacier day were outstanding with completely sunny skies.  By taking the 14 day cruise you get to go to smaller, less traveled ports and it was wonderful.  No repeats of ports like the B2B which by the way we did once and also enjoyed but this was even better.  Of course your weather could vary quite a bit but I wanted you to know our actual experience.  Good luck with your planning!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

I was on the Celebrity Millennium for two weeks back to back last July.  We had two solid weeks of nothing but rain, waves, and wind.  It was my 21st cruise to Alaska, and I never had such rotten weather.  OTOH, I’ve sailed mostly during Memorial Day weeks in May and although misty and a day or two of rain, especially in Ketchikan, we always had a few days of sunshine.

I’m booked on the Nieuw Amsterdam 14 day trip beginning in early May next year just to see the new to me ports.

6DAB7AC1-99E6-4A17-9FEE-D37742327CB7.png

• Like 1

We did the May 14-day one and it was wonderful - everything was so fresh, green and uncrowded.

We are now signed up for the September one, which can also include a good chance of Northern Lights viewing being later in the season.  And yes, a higher chance of rain too. Each Alaska cruise has its own rewards and weather chances. 

We were on a mid June cruise and it was cold rained a lot, The later early July cruise right after that, bragged about sunshine and wearing shorts. Mid-August we were denied landing Nome due to rough seas. 

The only "Alaska" we have avoided so far is mid-summer buggy Alaska. That almost matters more than rain and or cold.

• Like 1

The 14 Day cruise out of Seattle is wonderful!  I did it in June.

I’ve also been on cruises in Alaska in May and September.  The BEST weather, for me, was in May. I do not remember much rain on that trip and I spent most of my time without a jacket — sunny and warm.    In September, I encountered quite a bit of rain, but the ports were fairly empty, since it was the end of the season.

Do not let the months of May and September deter you from traveling to Alaska.

• Like 1

I have experienced 18 Alaska cruises to include the 14-Day Explorer on a smaller HAL ship.  My only mid-September cruise to Alaska spent many hours experiencing a typhoon with 86 knot side winds (I took a picture on my room TV) when exposed to the Pacific Ocean.  Of course your experience in September may differ but the month has very short days with lots of rain.

14 of my Alaska cruises have been in my preferred month of May with just a hint of chill in the mornings, lots of very frisky baby whales, still snow on the peaks, and the month has the lowest rainfall.

In search of great photos, I will be aboard the 14-Day Great Alaskan Explorer next month, as well as in May 2024, and will be answering questions here on CC while aboard.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/humpback-whales/1_P5133005-Edit.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/white-pass-yukon-railroad/p5212151.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Time For Dreaming said:

Thank you for the info.  Hope you report back on this cruise.

Thanks for posting your questions - we're Aussie based & also planning an Alaskan cruise with HAL, but for 2024 and have been tossing up between a b2b, or the 14 day explorer; this has been really helpful! 

If you get to small town Homer Alaska, be sure to visit the Nomar shop - we still use the market bag we got several years ago - excellent stuff - which they call their  'Laska luggage" .

Only a few sites to see on the school bus "shuttles" they run when cruise ships come in to this very small town, but one school bus stop is close to Nomar - what a find:  

https://nomaralaska.com/collections/laska-luggage

Edited by OlsSalt