Is Harmony looking "Tired"?

Hi Everyone - Today (40 days out to May 13th sailing)... I booked the last Junior Suite, and the last Balcony onboard the entire ship... phew,  just made it!

This cruise will make my last cruise as Diamond, as I move to Diamond Plus after this sailing!

We had sailed on Harmony in 2018 (remember Sabor where Playmakers is out back)... how it the Quality of the Ship holding up?  I mean, if there have been no major refurbishments since before then, do the cabins & showrooms/restaurants still meet high-quality Royal Caribbean standards, or does the ship look "worn"? It's last dry dock 2021 was only "technical" in nature and didn't bring any new features (such as Playmakers / Giovanni's) etc - 

Going to have fun either way, just surprised to see "nothing" has changed for several years.

WE were on Harmony 5 weeks ago, and I though she was in "like-new" condition.  I didn't see any signs of wear and tear, or anything that would make it seem old or in need of updating.

• Like 2

I sailed Harmony in November and was amazed how good she looked all across the ship. No signs of rust, wear, discoloration, etc. We are sailing on her again next week and really looking forward to it. I will say that RCL does a really great job keeping the Oasis class ships in top shape. Even the Oasis still looks great. Though her cabins are dated, the rest of the ship feels new (thanks of course to the amplification). I much prefer the more modern feel in Harmony cabins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NC State said:

From my understanding ships go in every 5 years for refreshing/updates. 

I've heard something very similar.  I believe there are some mechanical and hull check-ups that are required every so often.  Don't know the specifics, though.

3 minutes ago, molly361 said:

If people are thinking that the Harmony is tired looking I REALLY better re-think my end of the year cruise on the Adventure😇

Ha Ha - I feel your pain (🙂) and just booked Grandeur (built  in 1996) for a July cruise.  So far, all our cruises this coming year are older ships.   ( Mariner, Grandeur, Jewel, Adventure, Allure),  Never been on Adventure so looking forward to it.   Hope to see you before the Adventure cruise. 

M

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Ha Ha - I feel your pain (🙂) and just booked Grandeur (built  in 1996) for a July cruise.  So far, all our cruises this coming year are older ships.   ( Mariner, Grandeur, Jewel, Adventure, Allure),  Never been on Adventure so looking forward to it.   Hope to see you before the Adventure cruise. 

M

It's a bargain Christmas cruise (are you on that one or next year?)  but I think I am actually leaning towards going on the Allure instead.  More money but what the heck.    Going on the Mariner Thursday

Edited by molly361

2 hours ago, NC State said:

That is not totally correct.  Ships must be dry docked every 5 years or so to make sure all the technicals (engines, steel, props ect) are in "sea worthy" condition.  This happened in 2020/2021... They did not do any updates to things like cabins, public spaces, etc.

11 minutes ago, molly361 said:

It's a bargain Christmas cruise (are you on that one or next year?)  but I think I am actually leaning towards going on the Allure instead.  More money but what the heck.    Going on the Mariner Thursday

Yes - The bargain Christmas cruise this year. Everything has to be more money than that cruise!   Sorry we will miss you on Mariner by about a week.  We sail on the 15th.  

Have a great mariner cruise. 

M

• Like 1

Agree with the others, we were on her last Nov and it was the newest ship we'd been on, thought she was lovely and well kept. When we heard she was coming to Galveston this year got even more excited, NYE sailing on her next. Enjoy your cruise!

4 hours ago, NC State said:

The chances of any meaningful customer facing updates for the short term are really low, even when in dry dock.

9 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

How does a ship look tired?  Just curious

This past December and January - Furniture on Jewel (especially couches in cabins) was frayed and torn. Overstuffed couch cushions were  mis shappen.  Balcony showed lots of rust. Carpet was frayed at seams in common areas and hallways.  Hard chairs were worn down so much that the stain was worn off. 

Staff did the best they can to keep the ship clean, but it needs a major overhaul.  

M