Zuiderdam

TraelorMex

Planning a cruise on this ship in near future.  Have not read much about it.  Can someone tell me how it compares to other HAL ships? We have crusied HAL many times and overall are quite satisfied with the experience.  We just never did travel aboard this one.  Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, does anyone know if covid vax's are still required for HAL shiips??

2 minutes ago, TraelorMex said:

Thanks Essiesmom.  I do not know much about 'live threads' etc.  If you could direct me to a website or 'link' I would really appreciate it.

Just look down the board...they aren't hard to find.

Check the HAL website for Covid requirements,  which are very few now.

"Covid" requirements are now based upon each country's requirements; no longer a HAL requirement.

And some of these countries do monitor the on-board number of cases, before allowing passengers to disembark - I believe there was a recent question on the Japan cruise.

Zuiderdam is a good ship since she was chosen to do many of the long grand world cruises after HAL lost her previous world cruise ship, the Amsterdam. You can find photos of Zuiderdam public areas and passenger reviews of cabins on HalFacts.

I believe they are even putting her library back into the former movie theater room. Check the dates of the photos though, as she has gone through more recent decor improvements of late.

Checking threads of "Around the world with XYZ" or similar titles can open up the live blogs from current Zuiderdam passengers. We have taken her on several cruises, and have always been satisfied.  Though our favorite HAL ships are the even smaller still, Zaandam and Volendam. Vista ships, like the Zuiderdam, are the next size up.

Still "small enough" to provide the more intimate HAL experience, and easy to navigate around the ship. Plus she has the wonderful Signature Suite cabins, which are our very favorites cabins for the price. Particularly if you are on a longer voyage.

• Like 1

Honestly of the four HAL ships I’ve sailed she was my least favorite in terms of interior decor.  She’s rather dark and dated looking and features lots of red. Nothing majorly bad, just cosmetic aesthetics that I don’t care for. That said, she does great itineraries so I wouldn’t hesitate to book a trip on her if she was the only option for a place I was interested in.  

1 minute ago, Bostonjetset said:

Honestly of the four HAL ships I’ve sailed she was my least favorite in terms of interior decor.  She’s rather dark and dated looking and features lots of red. Nothing majorly bad, just cosmetic aesthetics that I don’t care for. That said, she does great itineraries so I wouldn’t hesitate to book a trip on her if she was the only option for a place I was interested in.  

When the Vista ships were introduced I swore I would never mail on the Zuiderdam due to the pictures of its ugly decor - much as you described - dark and too much red and purple.

Yet we ended up taking her to Alaska and I came back actually thinking the decor was comfortable and soothing. Almost "rich and elegant" (Hard to believer huh?)

I still cringe when i see some photos of her, but a later cruise did not generate any further negatives, and some of the earlier excesses had been toned down. But the early basics, they are stuck with - pillars and posts.

Early new HAL ships like the Vista class did suffer from a little too much Las Vegas kitsch, I agree. Though nothing was worse (IMHO) than the red and purple Amsterdam show lounge, with their massive naked silver ladies in full pike position circling the room. Bordello was all I could think; not the grande dame HAL world cruise flagship. Unless the grande dame was Sally Stanford.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

I know I am out of step here, but I absolutely loved the interior of Zuiderdam.  However, if I remember correctly someone posted that the interior had been greatly changed after her last drydock.

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TraelorMex said:

Planning a cruise on this ship in near future.  Have not read much about it.  Can someone tell me how it compares to other HAL ships? We have crusied HAL many times and overall are quite satisfied with the experience.  We just never did travel aboard this one.  Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, does anyone know if covid vax's are still required for HAL shiips??

Per the HAL website:  "It is highly recommended that guests are fully vaccinated and boosted (if eligible) at time of sailing."

Some itineraries require vaccination and testing.  My booked cruises to Caribbean and Alaska do not require vaccination and testing.  In fact, the required health statements within three days of sailing have been deleted from my check-in pages.

Here is the link to look up your cruise vaccination/test requirements:

Health Protocols

Edited by Crew News

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I know I am out of step here, but I absolutely loved the interior of Zuiderdam.  However, if I remember correctly someone posted that the interior had been greatly changed after her last drydock.

The first two times I was on Zuidy, the hallway carpets were a splotchy dark pattern. Some shades of blue and black, others shades of red, orange, purple. Ugly, but not so bad I would refuse to sail on the ship again. In 2020, the last time I was on board, the carpets had been changed to more neutral colors. 

IMG_20200216_071331483.jpg

• Like 3

Zuiderdam was my first HAL cruise! In 2006 I sailed from San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale through the Panama Canal.  I haven't sailed on her since but am now signed up for the Trans-Atlantic repositioning in May 2024.  I really, really, like the smaller ships! 

The World Cruise sailing right now has some mixed reviews, but mostly the negatives seem to be concerning variety of food and entertainment and not the ship itself.  Like most people, I am hoping for an improvement in both categories as we move into the post pandemic era.

~Nancy

• Like 2

Zuiderdam is my least favorite ship.  With that said the ship has the best crew I have sailed with.

The ship had leaks on the first floor with buckets and garbage cans holding the leaks.

allot of things went wrong when I sailed on her that were not the crews fault.  The crew handled with grace.

I vividly & fondly remember the psychedelic interiors of Zuiderdam when she was brand new. Talk about LSD at sea & possible retinal detachment, lol. Very Carnival-esque. Anyone remember the carpeting in the passageways? Shockingly wild combinations of mismatched purple, orange, red, yellow, teal, lime green, blue....& yet I LOVED IT! She's much more toned down in her later years. After Zaandam, my favorite ship in the fleet.

• Like 1

I remember Captain Turner, who was more than willing to remove any passenger who missed the Passenger Safety Drill or put a crew member off at the next port for any error in judgement/service.  He definitely ran a tight ship.

• Like 2

We sailed Zuiderdam in 2006 and again in 2022. Crew is fantastic.  Yes, decor in MDR is a little dark but we honestly prefer that style to the newer, open design of the newer ships.  Much more intimate and way less noisy atmosphere.  Our cruise to Alaska on her this past summer was one of the best we have ever done - food and service were outstanding!

Totally agree with the comment re signature suites.  There are a lot of them and they are very roomy with great balconies and really not much more money than a regular balcony.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 1:34 PM, VMax1700 said:

On her last drydock they did a lot of ADA work. 

3 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

On her last drydock they did a lot of ADA work. 

For example? What sorts of things were done. Lots of things could be done to make just about all of the ships a little easier for disabled passengers. I would love to know what has been started. 
Thanks. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RuthC said:

For example? What sorts of things were done. Lots of things could be done to make just about all of the ships a little easier for disabled passengers. I would love to know what has been started. 
Thanks. 

My daughter and I have a temporary hold on obstructed oceanview cabin 4099 on Holland America Zuiderdam for their 73 night Grand Africa voyage this October.  This cabin is in between two lifeboats and probably has large metal girders/ structures outside its window.  I am not as concerned with the visual obstruction as I am with any noise issue outside this cabin.  It is right next to a cabin of a higher category.  Is anyone able to give me some more information about this?

Thanks!  Nancy.