HMC Villas are listed as $999.99 now?!?!

missholly24

23 minutes ago, mz-s said:

If my pension fund owns $CCL then it explains why they can't afford to give COL adjustments to retirees...

That's exactly my point.  How would you feel if Carnival said to your pension fund, "Sorry our stock price is so low.  Our pricing studies show that we could successfully increase what we charge cruisers, but we decided to be nice.  Hope your retirees know how to stretch their budget!"

Edited by staceyglow
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi @missholly24🙂

$999 is certainly a HUGE price increase. And look at the last paragraph in the screen-shot below at the bottom. Groups larger than 8 there is an extra per-person surcharge. WOW....😲

To this I will say that they don't count the people actually using the facility.  (Yet.)

What I will say is that Carnival Corp should actually build a crap ton more of those things; like now and way before the pier.  Getting $999 a day for something that costs AT MOST $100K to build is unbelievable. Payback in 3 months? Insane.  Good for them.  Stock is on the way to $11, for sure!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

You can always downgrade to a lowly cabana like us peasants.

I have a cabana booked at HMC for my August cruise.  I just looked at excursions and they are now $699!  I booked last month for 479?  I understand them raising them but that price is more than a small price hike.  Also interesting that they have more than 1 left with only 3 1/2 months to go?  They are usually all booked up?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

I have a cabana booked at HMC for my August cruise.  I just looked at excursions and they are now $699!  I booked last month for 479?  I understand them raising them but that price is more than a small price hike.  Also interesting that they have more than 1 left with only 3 1/2 months to go?  They are usually all booked up?

Some darn good testing on the demand elasticity!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

the private oasis at $2,000 is sold out, so people don't seem to mind paying the price.

With the private oasis villa, its larger and can accommodate more people so the price is split between groups/families etc.  The villa was always the one that seem to make more sense for a larger group of people even at the price point.  

We have had the HMC villa/cabanas several times over the years but not since restart.  At this point with 2 cruises later this year, dont see us spending that kind money for a few hours on a beach (and still need to use the public restroom).  

If people are willing to pay then why wouldn't CCL do it?  We would rather spend the money to get better cabin for the 7 days onboard the ship, to each their own.    

The villas have a private bathroom although our toilet had flushing issues!

• Like 1

I was contemplating the 499 a few weeks ago, but unexpected car repairs came up, and I held off. I forgot about it, thinking I had time until I saw this thread. Ouch, not happening for sure. That's nuts

• Like 3

Pre covid, we were loyal Carnival customers, even through all the customer-unfriendly changes and price increases. Was starting to tire of their same old itineraries and was not a fan of the newer ship styles. Then Covid hit so we were forced to take a break. I didn't really miss it as much as I thought I would. 

The kids really want to cruise again next spring break, so I looked at options and found an 8 day on the Magic that wasn't too bad in price. Over the last couple years I've watched Carnival get rid of free room service, price gouge on water (after not allowing it to be carried on any longer), raise gratuity costs multiple times, reduce food quality, and now this villa/cabana nonsense. 

We may end up doing that cruise next spring break, and I never wanted to be that guy, but with all the cuts Carnival has done in the past few years, I think I'm gonna have to be that guy who reduces gratuity. Carnival has decided they want to offer minimal value for maximum price, and the only way for me to recoup some value is to reduce the amount of the almost $600 in tips they want me to pay for 2 adults and 2 kids. 

Im well aware that this will be an extremely unpopular take by many here. That's fine. Im at the point in life that I give zero Fs about what anyone else thinks.

Time for me to start talking with my wallet when it comes to CCL. 

Anyways, said my peace. Flame away. 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If someone has a problem with Carnival, why not stop cruising on Carnival instead of taking it out on hardworking employees separated from their families by thousands of miles, just trying to earn a living. 

Exactly. At least if you cruise a different line, your spot on Carnival is likely to be taken by someone who doesn't mind leaving gratuities for the hard working staff. 

• Like 4

On 4/10/2023 at 8:01 AM, mz-s said:

Double it and see if they still sell out. They should charge whatever people are willing to pay. I eat the included hamburgers and sit on the included chairs. Each to their own.

THISSSSS!  Listen, your basic cruise fare is peanuts compared to any other vacation you want to take.  I think it makes perfect sense to charge the going rate to compensate for narrow margins in other areas.  I so enjoyed my free lounge chair in the shade of a banyan tree watching my kids snorkel with $30 snorkel gear that I gladly paid extra for, as it was in our budget and something my kids loved.

I'm sorry it's priced you out, but think the big picture should make some sense to you...........

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gtonda said:

Pre covid, we were loyal Carnival customers, even through all the customer-unfriendly changes and price increases. Was starting to tire of their same old itineraries and was not a fan of the newer ship styles. Then Covid hit so we were forced to take a break. I didn't really miss it as much as I thought I would. 

The kids really want to cruise again next spring break, so I looked at options and found an 8 day on the Magic that wasn't too bad in price. Over the last couple years I've watched Carnival get rid of free room service, price gouge on water (after not allowing it to be carried on any longer), raise gratuity costs multiple times, reduce food quality, and now this villa/cabana nonsense. 

We may end up doing that cruise next spring break, and I never wanted to be that guy, but with all the cuts Carnival has done in the past few years, I think I'm gonna have to be that guy who reduces gratuity. Carnival has decided they want to offer minimal value for maximum price, and the only way for me to recoup some value is to reduce the amount of the almost $600 in tips they want me to pay for 2 adults and 2 kids. 

Im well aware that this will be an extremely unpopular take by many here. That's fine. Im at the point in life that I give zero Fs about what anyone else thinks.

Time for me to start talking with my wallet when it comes to CCL. 

Anyways, said my peace. Flame away. 😁

The only part of this I don't agree with is that the price hikes in areas are unfair.  Prices of everything have gone up exponentially.  And while cruising stopped, all cruise lines were STILL paying their employees.  I DO agree that gratuities shouldn't be included.  To me, I feel like they should pay every employee a living wage and let us chose to tip above and beyond for any employee we feel we connected with.  If we don't see the employee, then it shouldn't be our job to pay them. It's literally the definition of TIPPING!  I would rather they raise the price of a cruise and do away with automated gratuities.  Especially when you think that there is also a gratuity added to the drink purchase you make, plus I usually tip on top of that.  Maybe I'll be flamed, too.  Oh well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Exactly. At least if you cruise a different line, your spot on Carnival is likely to be taken by someone who doesn't mind leaving gratuities for the hard working staff. 

Nobody is irreplaceable.

On 4/10/2023 at 10:35 AM, Buckeyefrank100 said:

This isn't only a Carnival issue.  We're booked on the Icon OTS and a cabana at Coco Cay is $1500 for the day.  It's everywhere.

Interesting because I received a comment on Facebook that HAL has the Villas priced the same as they have always been. Seems weird. lol. And did they paint them all white? 😂

2 hours ago, skywalkr2 said:

Supply and Demand.  If they sell at $1000 then they will try $1200 next.  When they start evening out... then they will set the price.

I get your point but the cruises sell out and they dont just keep raising the cost of the cruises. 

22 hours ago, jsglow said:

Some darn good testing on the demand elasticity!

Exactly what I was thinking. Most of the cruises sell out too and they don't hike those prices. Oh well, it is what it is. I enjoyed the fun while it lasted. I'll watch the rich people enjoy from a distance. 😋

39 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

I get your point but the cruises sell out and they dont just keep raising the cost of the cruises. 

IMO this will soon change as well, but they also need to maintain their position as the value brand.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 12:20 PM, cruizinisthebest said:

These price increases without a single additional perk is insane. Although Carnival knows people will rent them regardless. Not me. And it's not fake. The prices are already showing online. I have cruises booked that stop at HMC and Amber Cove. 🤬

Glad I booked mine at Mohogany Bay when they finally came available @ $349. Now $499 and sold out.

• Like 1