Missing Ports Again!

Currently on Ovation and we will miss Wellington tomorrow. We have already missed Dunedin.,I understand from someone on board that Majestic missed 3 NZ ports this week. Seems to be a pattern this cruise season with bad weather unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Currently on Ovation and we will miss Wellington tomorrow. We have already missed Dunedin.,I understand from someone on board that Majestic missed 3 NZ ports this week. Seems to be a pattern this cruise season with bad weather unfortunately.

I was on Ovation ,a few weeks ago around NZ and apparently it was the first cruise this season that it achieved all its port. How good is that.

But something like a quarter of the passengers got Covid including me ,still trying to get over it.

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I was on Ovation ,a few weeks ago around NZ and apparently it was the first cruise this season that it achieved all its port. How good is that.

But something like a quarter of the passengers got Covid including me ,still trying to get over it.

Well,  we did NZL in early January and managed to get into all ports,  including the sounds in lovely sunshine. (Celebrity Eclipse)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Sorry to hear that.  I wonder if passengers are reluctant to cruise because of the missed ports in addition to catching Covid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sorry to hear that.  I wonder if passengers are reluctant to cruise because of the missed ports in addition to catching Covid.

I think the cruise industry will take some time to get back to what it was .

Covid, missed port plus a lack of money will keep people away.

We missed Wellington on Pacific Explorer  3 weeks ago due to bad weather and was about 4 to 5 hours  late  arriving at the others.

Alot  got covid on this trip as it was a 14 day cruise every one had to wear masks from day 8. I wore mine from day 1.Husband tested positve 2 days after we arrived home. I have escaped it.I felt sorry  for alot of the older passengers as they had been looking forward to visiting N.Z. for ages

Regards Zanny

1 hour ago, resordanis said:

Hi Cheryle 

hope your enjoying the cruise even missing out on the 2 ports and hope they give you some OBC

Sorry to read of the missed ports.  I have friends on board but haven’t heard from them re the missed ports. A shame.  They were looking forward to seeing Lanarch Castle with a private tour and seeing the Te Papu museum (excuse spelling).  Are you getting any OBC in lieu?

3 hours ago, resordanis said:

Majestic missed Bay of Islands & Tauranga due to weather, but made it into Auckland OK yesterday. Now on her way to warmer climes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

So your saying over a thousand people got covid………..and it wasn’t on a Current Affair or the news? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, gbenjo said:

So your saying over a thousand people got covid………..and it wasn’t on a Current Affair or the news? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

I was told by crew ,830 or something where positive not to mention the people who didn’t bother to get tested.

Talking to our cabin attendant,he confirmed most of his clients where sick with something and the company tries to down play it.

He said he has had it pretty bad , no pay and Royal wouldn’t even give him some Panadol. He had to buy everything.

As for current affairs, I don’t watch it.

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I was told by crew ,830 or something where positive not to mention the people who didn’t bother to get tested.

Talking to our cabin attendant,he confirmed most of his clients where sick with something and the company tries to down play it.

He said he has had it pretty bad , no pay and Royal wouldn’t even give him some Panadol. He had to buy everything.

Would the crew know there was 830 postive cases onboard and was everyone told to mask up

21 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It is pretty bad IF Royal treat their staff as badly as you say. Sorry to say, but maybe the cabin steward was appealing for sympathy and an extra tip. 😉

On Princess, staff have free medical treatment (doctor consult and medications). Their pay is monthly and it isn't reduced if they are sick. In fact, there are signs in the crew area advising staff that it is a disciplinary offence if they are sick and do not confine themselves to their cabin.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rkmw said:

Would the crew know there was 830 postive cases onboard and was everyone told to mask up

Well,there was a high percentage of people coughing ,I was travelling with about 20 people and most had something.
I did ask the nurse who tested me how many but she said it’s confidential .

I was told by one of the staff I have gotten to know pretty well .

7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Well,there was a high percentage of people coughing ,I was travelling with about 20 people and most had something.
I did ask the nurse who tested me how many but she said it’s confidential .

I was told by one of the staff I have gotten to know pretty well .

Why say 830 when you don’t know how many had it, you should have said a high percentage had it and that would have done

31 minutes ago, rkmw said:

Why say 830 when you don’t know how many had it, you should have said a high percentage had it and that would have done

At somewhere around 120 to 140 positives, the ship would be at 3% tier 2 and all passengers would get an official letter to their cabin advising of elevated covid aboard. Without that letter, the official number is lower than 140 positives at any given time.

11 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Sorry to read of the missed ports.  I have friends on board but haven’t heard from them re the missed ports. A shame.  They were looking forward to seeing Lanarch Castle with a private tour and seeing the Te Papu museum (excuse spelling).  Are you getting any OBC in lieu?

Wouldn't expect any OBC if weather related, only a refund of relevant port charges.

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

How long did you have to isolate for - and were you still positive when you left the ship? 

What with bad weather and Covid, I am not wealthy enough to risk cruising for now. Bit of a shame really - have enjoyed what we have done. I know that there are plenty who are getting away with it - but as I said I am not wealthy enough to even take the risk. Nor to do organised tours anywhere. 

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

How long did you have to isolate for - and were you still positive when you left the ship? 

We were isolated for 3 days and where clear the day before getting off ,apparently.

I still got someone to pick us up though,still felt pretty bad.

I was on HAL Noordam a couple of weeks ago, to NZ.  We had relatively good weather. Milford Sound, it was raining intermittently and low cloud, but it was quite spectacular in those conditions, particularly the waterfalls in full flow.   We did miss Wellington (and got $US31 refund of port charges), but I was quite glad not to be crossing Cook Straits in a gale. All the other ports, the sun shone brilliantly.

There may have been Covid on board, but it was not obvious to me as a passenger, and I enjoyed the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boeckli said:

Wouldn't expect any OBC if weather related, only a refund of relevant port charges.

We were on the Splendor in February and supposed to do 3 ports to South Pacific and got turned around due to a cyclone and did 7 days to no where and got good OBC plus 50% off a Future cruise