Missing Ports Again!

58 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

Just got off Spendor Easter cruise to Moreton Island and the ship was unable to tender. Very strong winds from the west, Carnival offer $200 onboard credit and 50% future cruise credit. 

It was a good deal Michael.

I know another person aboard who was rather thrilled to get such a nice bit of compo.

1 hour ago, woodscruise said:

Just got off Spendor Easter cruise to Moreton Island and the ship was unable to tender. Very strong winds from the west, Carnival offer $200 onboard credit and 50% future cruise credit. 

That's astonishing!

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

We were isolated for 3 days and where clear the day before getting off ,apparently.

I still got someone to pick us up though,still felt pretty bad.

We tested positive for 14 days straight. but didn't feel too bad. 

If you have insurance with 1 cover. Make a claim for missed ports.

several cruisers, myself included got money back from when our south pacific cruise turned into a Hobart/sydney cruise.

we flew from Sydney to Brisbane to cruise back to sydney.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I was told by crew ,830 or something where positive not to mention the people who didn’t bother to get tested.

Talking to our cabin attendant,he confirmed most of his clients where sick with something and the company tries to down play it.

He said he has had it pretty bad , no pay and Royal wouldn’t even give him some Panadol. He had to buy everything.

As for current affairs, I don’t watch it.

830 is not a quarter of 4300  last time I went to schooland judging by the amount of luggage that comes off separately for   covid guests, there would be no more than a hundred  suitcases  

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 9:18 PM, resordanis said:

Currently on Ovation and we will miss Wellington tomorrow. We have already missed Dunedin.,I understand from someone on board that Majestic missed 3 NZ ports this week. Seems to be a pattern this cruise season with bad weather unfortunately.

You were the last scheduled arrival in Wellington for the season.   The weather has been awful since Feb (we had a great summer earlier on) - but even in a normal year I'd never recommend cruising to Wellington in April - because of the weather. The end of season cruises are cheap for a reason 

• Like 2

Not a New Zealand port, but the Coral Princess cancelled the stop in Busselton this morning due to high seas and strong winds.  I watched the tenders test the waters and was relieved, even though we had an excellent private excursion planned, that the captain decided to cancel the stop.  We are now en route to Fremantle arriving at 7 pm for an overnight and permission has already been granted to passengers to begin exploring Fremantle/Perth at that time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gbenjo said:

830 is not a quarter of 4300  last time I went to schooland judging by the amount of luggage that comes off separately for   covid guests, there would be no more than a hundred  suitcases  

Graham, you would know mate, you are at the coal face.

Crew sometimes exaggerate to get some sympathy tips, lol.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Not a New Zealand port, but the Coral Princess cancelled the stop in Busselton this morning due to high seas and strong winds.  I watched the tenders test the waters and was relieved, even though we had an excellent private excursion planned, that the captain decided to cancel the stop.  We are now en route to Fremantle arriving at 7 pm for an overnight and permission has already been granted to passengers to begin exploring Fremantle/Perth at that time.

Fremantle is my favourite part of Perth when we lved there a few years ago. 

Wander along the water front to my fav brewery Fremantle Functions, Brewery & Event Venue - Little Creatures 

10 minutes ago, lissie said:

Fremantle is my favourite part of Perth when we lved there a few years ago. 

Wander along the water front to my fav brewery Fremantle Functions, Brewery & Event Venue - Little Creatures 

Thank you so much for the recommendation!  I’m sharing this with the other 5 members of my family!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gbenjo said:

I noticed you and your mates aren’t on the final check in ,last time on Ovation Graham ,The ship security was doing it .

Edited by Chiliburn

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Thank you so much for the recommendation!  I’m sharing this with the other 5 members of my family!

Cheers! I'm hoping you are aware that most Ozzie craft beer is a little bit more alcoholic than Bud light!  The maritime museum right on the water front is very good too - Western Australia has a stupid number of 17th / 18th century wrecks - ships coming from Africa needed to turn  left to get to Batavia (Indonesia) - but many didn't. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I noticed you and your mates aren’t on the final check in ,last time on Ovation Graham ,The ship security was doing it .

Yep,  had an IT connection problem & could not use our devices.

15 hours ago, lissie said:

Cheers! I'm hoping you are aware that most Ozzie craft beer is a little bit more alcoholic than Bud light!  The maritime museum right on the water front is very good too - Western Australia has a stupid number of 17th / 18th century wrecks - ships coming from Africa needed to turn  left to get to Batavia (Indonesia) - but many didn't. 

Not a beer thread but Bud light is 4.2 ABV. I believe the "light" refers to carb levels.  Most off the shelf Ozzie pale ales eg are in the same ball park ABV. 

Another missed port update from the Coral Princess:  today was supposed to be a port day in Geraldton.  At 5:30 last evening the Captain announced that the Harbormaster had informed him the port would be closed due to high seas and a surge so we are on our way to Broome arriving on Monday.  There were definitely high seas last night but it seems to have calmed a bit now although the captain did warn that they could get worse today.  

One more personal update:  Fremantle was a big hit!  What a lovely downtown, excellent museums, plus Little Creatures beer (DH had Amber Ale; not being a beer drinker I had a glass of wine), and excellent shrimp, bacon and peppers pizza.  Thanks again @lissiefor the recommendation. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Another missed port update from the Coral Princess:  today was supposed to be a port day in Geraldton.  At 5:30 last evening the Captain announced that the Harbormaster had informed him the port would be closed due to high seas and a surge so we are on our way to Broome arriving on Monday.  There were definitely high seas last night but it seems to have calmed a bit now although the captain did warn that they could get worse today.  

One more personal update:  Fremantle was a big hit!  What a lovely downtown, excellent museums, plus Little Creatures beer (DH had Amber Ale; not being a beer drinker I had a glass of wine), and excellent shrimp, bacon and peppers pizza.  Thanks again @lissiefor the recommendation. 

Wow you were close to the path of a severe level 5 cyclone which crossed the border close to Port Headland.  Now down grounded  to level 3.  My daughter said the wind was crazy at Bunbury in SW WA.  I hope you get in to Broome.

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Wow you were close to the path of a severe level 5 cyclone which crossed the border close to Port Headland.  Now down grounded  to level 3.  My daughter said the wind was crazy at Bunbury in SW WA.  I hope you get in to Broome.

We’ve been following the reporting on the cyclone and are grateful we weren’t any closer.  We live in Florida where the the mere thought of a category 5 hurricane (cyclone) strikes fear into everyone.  I understand that it landed in a less populated area which means less death and destruction but I am sure there are some people severely impacted and they have my deepest sympathy.

9 minutes ago, capriccio said:

We’ve been following the reporting on the cyclone and are grateful we weren’t any closer.  We live in Florida where the the mere thought of a category 5 hurricane (cyclone) strikes fear into everyone.  I understand that it landed in a less populated area which means less death and destruction but I am sure there are some people severely impacted and they have my deepest sympathy.

Yes it did.   Seems a roadhouse copped damage.  the forecast location changed from North East of Broome to south of Broome. I am a Queenslander so pay attention to cyclones.  The NW of WA are used to cyclones so were well prepared for this cyclone.  They move small aboriginal communities out of harms way.

14 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes it did.   Seems a roadhouse copped damage.  the forecast location changed from North East of Broome to south of Broome. I am a Queenslander so pay attention to cyclones.  The NW of WA are used to cyclones so were well prepared for this cyclone.  They move small aboriginal communities out of harms way.

Owner of Pardoo Roadhouse says there is nothing left. They sent staff to Port Hedland for safety but stayed.  4 hours of hell!  They shifted from the roadhouse to a sea container.  ABC News has an article on the cyclone damage.