Personal Touches

On 4/12/2023 at 8:52 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

Even if they don't want it themselves, I don't think anyone's upset by receiving "extra". 

No one has suggested candy bars in place of tips ... this is an "extra".

Except is usually isn't "extra". The expense is subtracted from the gratuity budget and the recipient is expected to show extra extra gratitude for the special effort for an item they don't want.  Similar to guests who bring gifts associated with holidays not celebrated by crew   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Except is usually isn't "extra". The expense is subtracted from the gratuity budget and the recipient is expected to show extra extra gratitude for the special effort for an item they don't want.  Similar to guests who bring gifts associated with holidays not celebrated by crew   

You're inferring an awful lot about other people's intentions.

3 hours ago, electro said:

I don't understand why the US has a currency denomination that people refuse to use. It is kind of bizarre. Since no one wants them, why aren't they taken out of print?

It's not necessarily that people refuse to use them; it's that they're so seldom seen that people don't get the chance. I remember when they were reintroduced, in 1976. Only a small number were produced.

Fifty-cent coins are also rare in the US.

35 minutes ago, no1racefan1 said:

You're inferring an awful lot about other people's intentions.

Been the recipient of the Dollar Tree trinket with Dollar Tip too many times.  They hand the item to you directly, and wait for your enthusiastic gasp at the trinket/Brach's Candy gift while you ignore the currency.  When you don't gush over their "extra" effort, it shows in their expression. When you are given a cash tip, a simple, sincere "thank you" is the expectation.  Every experienced service industry profession knows how this is played.  When it is a repeat guest, you know come the holidays, out comes the candy and down goes the tips.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, shorne said:

It's not necessarily that people refuse to use them; it's that they're so seldom seen that people don't get the chance. I remember when they were reintroduced, in 1976. Only a small number were produced.

Fifty-cent coins are also rare in the US.

Crew members see the $2 as unlucky.  

5 hours ago, electro said:

I don't understand why the US has a currency denomination that people refuse to use. It is kind of bizarre. Since no one wants them, why aren't they taken out of print?

I lived it Colorado for 4 years and really missed having a $2 denomination. I always ended up with a wallet full for $1. Now I don't use cash much so it doesn't matter.

I tried using a CAD $2 and was asked if I had anything else including US$.  So we gave them US$.  To be fair that was a few years after the CAD $2 was replaced with the coin.   We still have that bill.   

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I tried using a CAD $2 and was asked if I had anything else including US$.  So we gave them US$.  To be fair that was a few years after the CAD $2 was replaced with the coin.   We still have that bill.   

Canadian $1 and $2 banknotes are still legal tender, even though they were replaced with coins long ago. The penny, discontinued about ten years ago, is also legal tender, but spending it may not be easy. I still have a lot of pennies that I need to use somehow…

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Was this in Canada? The $2 bills have been taken out of circulation so it is very rare to see them. I have saved one and I'm sure many people have but they wont be trying to spend them. 

• Like 1

I was once told by a crew member that they really appreciate Walmart Gift Cards.  Just ask any crew member what they do when they have the chance to get off ship.  Many will say "I go to Walmart to pick up the things I need".  Obviously , the gift cards are an issue if the countries you are cruising in does not have a Walmart, but there seems to be one in almost every port thru-out most of the Western World.  Also, I assume, instead of sending money back to their families, they can use the card for payment and order items to be sent back to their families.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shorne said:

Canadian $1 and $2 banknotes are still legal tender, even though they were replaced with coins long ago. The penny, discontinued about ten years ago, is also legal tender, but spending it may not be easy. I still have a lot of pennies that I need to use somehow…

I also have a bunch of pennies, and keep meaning to either take them to the bank and deposit them (they're rolled) or take them to the grocery store and use one of those CoinStar machines (but their fee % is ridiculously high, so I'm leaning to the bank.) I just have to actually DO it. 

14 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I was once told by a crew member that they really appreciate Walmart Gift Cards.  Just ask any crew member what they do when they have the chance to get off ship.  Many will say "I go to Walmart to pick up the things I need".  Obviously , the gift cards are an issue if the countries you are cruising in does not have a Walmart, but there seems to be one in almost every port thru-out most of the Western World.  Also, I assume, instead of sending money back to their families, they can use the card for payment and order items to be sent back to their families.

Yet cash can be spent anywhere but the crew know what the expected answers is. Cash can be sent home.

1 hour ago, electro said:

Was this in Canada? The $2 bills have been taken out of circulation so it is very rare to see them. I have saved one and I'm sure many people have but they wont be trying to spend them. 

Yes, in Nanaimo at some gift shop.  I'm OK with it being declined because now I apparently have a collectors item!  

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Yet cash can be spent anywhere but the crew know what the expected answers is. Cash can be sent home.

Do Walmarts throughout the world accept USD?  

5 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

My DH says giving gift cards is like giving money but telling them where they have to spend it. If you want to give money as a gift (or tip), the receiver should be able to spend it where ever they choose.

Edited by electro
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, electro said:

My DH says giving gift cards is like giving money but telling them where they have to spend it. If you want to give money as a gift (or tip), the receiver should be able to spend it where ever they choose.

True, but have you ever noticed how many crew members go toWalmart to pick up essentials. I have seen shuttle buses that take them to Walmart in certain ports.  Gift cards to Starbucks would totally be out of the running.

3 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

True, but have you ever noticed how many crew members go toWalmart to pick up essentials. I have seen shuttle buses that take them to Walmart in certain ports.  Gift cards to Starbucks would totally be out of the running.

Some crew run "slop chests" and they get their stock somewhere

19 hours ago, ldubs said:

Do Walmarts throughout the world accept USD?  

😉The ones in Ireland don't, nor do the ones in the rest of EU.   

But then again, there are no Walmarts in the EU. 🤣

p.s. I know you knew that!

p.p.s. before someone mentions that Asda in UK is owned by Walmart, do note that I stated EU and not geographical Europe.😉

• Like 2

23 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I also have a bunch of pennies, and keep meaning to either take them to the bank and deposit them (they're rolled) or take them to the grocery store and use one of those CoinStar machines (but their fee % is ridiculously high, so I'm leaning to the bank.) I just have to actually DO it. 

I always opt for an Amazon gift card with no fees. We have banks in our area going cashless.

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

😉The ones in Ireland don't, nor do the ones in the rest of EU.   

But then again, there are no Walmarts in the EU. 🤣

p.s. I know you knew that!

p.p.s. before someone mentions that Asda in UK is owned by Walmart, do note that I stated EU and not geographical Europe.😉

I hadn't thought about there not being any Walmarts in the EU.  This is going to come in handy some day. Maybe trivia or maybe something else, who knows!  

22 hours ago, ldubs said:

I hadn't thought about there not being any Walmarts in the EU.  This is going to come in handy some day. Maybe trivia or maybe something else, who knows!  

There are lots of retailers and restaurant chains in the US that are unheard of in the EU, or indeed anywhere else in the world !

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

There are lots of retailers and restaurant chains in the US that are unheard of in the EU, or indeed anywhere else in the world !

Kind of a stretch to think I would not know that because I was not aware that Walmart, a company with extensive international operations, did not have EU locations.   

On 4/11/2023 at 2:04 PM, mrgabriel said:

Our treat for the crew is cash, a handwritten thanks at the end, and acknowledging them by name in the post-cruise survey. 

i take a photo of favorite crew members with their nametags visible - so I know  their first and last names and spell it correctly when i do the survey. For truly exceptional service i fill in cruise line notes/feedback cards during cruise and hand to customer service. Tip too, but I've gotten more thanks from crew when i cite them for going above and beyond. Management likes positive feedback.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Kind of a stretch to think I would not know that because I was not aware that Walmart, a company with extensive international operations, did not have EU locations.   

Walmart have withdrawn from the UK market, as they could not make their operation profitable !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...