Need tips for new carnival beds

Eli_6

We just got off the Breeze and the beds were terrible.  Our cabin steward informed us that we had new mattresses. He said other people had complained about them, too, and it seems like everyone liked the old mattresses better.  I have always thought that Carnival had super comfortable beds, but these new ones are awful.  I am worried now about my 12 day Europe cruise on the Pride since it will just be coming out of dry dock. I am starting to wonder if I need to travel with an egg carton or something.

The only problem is that I am trying to do carry on only. BA won't check your luggage through in Heathrow if the short leg and TA flight are not on the same ticket (mine aren't since the LHR-BCN is only one way and my TA was a rewards ticket) and I don't want to have to go through customs and security to pick up and recheck my "checked" luggage.  

Has anyone else found a way to make the bed more comfortable in a space saving (for packing) manner? 

Is it still possible to ask the steward for a mattress topper? I recall this used to be a thing, but haven't seen it mentioned recently. Sometimes a new mattress needs to be broken in before it's comfy, so hopefully after a few uses they will be more "user friendly" (which may not help if Pride has just come out of a dry dock a short time before you sail). Maybe an inflatable mattress that will roll up really small will work?

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Is it still possible to ask the steward for a mattress topper? I recall this used to be a thing, but haven't seen it mentioned recently. Sometimes a new mattress needs to be broken in before it's comfy, so hopefully after a few uses they will be more "user friendly" (which may not help if Pride has just come out of a dry dock a short time before you sail). Maybe an inflatable mattress that will roll up really small will work?

I am literally the first sailing after dry dock on Pride.  Our room steward actually put two mattress covers on our bed on the Breeze after I complained...and even then it wasn't great.  He offered to try to find us some "old" mattresses, but I told him that was too much trouble for a 4 day cruise.  I would think they would be replacing the mattresses on Pride...but I suppose there is a possibility they won't be.  I honestly hope they aren't.  

4 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I think maybe I am going to try to buy a mattress topper on Amazon Spain and have it shipped to my hotel in Spain. We will be there for 3 nights ahead of time. 

Never mind....just saw what shipping charges are on Amazon international.

• Haha 1

Carnival changes out mattresses on a rotating basis, not necessarily dictated by drydocks unless of course they're going to do a Sunshine-style renovation of the ship. Any maintenance they can do outside of drydock, they do because drydock time is expensive.

So it's not necessarily guaranteed your Pride stateroom will have a new mattress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB910 said:

I'm curious - leaving on Breeze in less than 2 weeks - what exactly was the issue with the new mattresses? Too squishy? Too firm? Full of rocks? Thanks!

I’m currently on the Breeze. I find the beds to be too firm. I miss the squishy old mattresses! 

1 hour ago, KB910 said:

I'm curious - leaving on Breeze in less than 2 weeks - what exactly was the issue with the new mattresses? Too squishy? Too firm? Full of rocks? Thanks!

I guess I would say "full of rocks."  I could feel the coils sticking into me.  It just seemed like a really cheap mattress. 

I was on the Breeze in February and the mattress was fine...but I suspect that was one of the "old" mattresses.  

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

Carnival changes out mattresses on a rotating basis, not necessarily dictated by drydocks unless of course they're going to do a Sunshine-style renovation of the ship. Any maintenance they can do outside of drydock, they do because drydock time is expensive.

So it's not necessarily guaranteed your Pride stateroom will have a new mattress.

I was going to say exactly this next. They may not change them all out.

7 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

The only problem is that I am trying to do carry on only. BA won't check your luggage through in Heathrow if the short leg and TA flight are not on the same ticket (mine aren't since the LHR-BCN is only one way and my TA was a rewards ticket) and I don't want to have to go through customs and security to pick up and recheck my "checked" luggage.  

Sincerely, but how does one pack for what has to be at least a 13 day vacation if it’s a 12 day cruise into just a carryon? I’m not an overpacker and I’m pretty low maintenance in that I can get away with packing only one extra pair of shoes (formal, for elegant night), but there’s no way I could do it. I wouldn’t be able to do more than a few days worth of clothes, my extra shoes and my personal items. 

7 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Never mind....just saw what shipping charges are on Amazon international.

Make sure you are shopping on Amazon in Spain and not Amazon in the US.

use Amazon.es and see if the shipping rate is lower.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cruising_Addict said:

Sincerely, but how does one pack for what has to be at least a 13 day vacation if it’s a 12 day cruise into just a carryon? I’m not an overpacker and I’m pretty low maintenance in that I can get away with packing only one extra pair of shoes (formal, for elegant night), but there’s no way I could do it. I wouldn’t be able to do more than a few days worth of clothes, my extra shoes and my personal items. 

I haven't used anything more than a backpack and a carry-on for travel in years - for trips that were three weeks long and more.  The backpack fits under my airline seat and holds a lot of stuff.  If you are willing to wash a few things yourself (or use Carnival's laundry service), it's doable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruising_Addict said:

My family did an 11 day land trip to Amsterdam and Paris with a carryon each and backpack (personal item) under the seat in front.  Next is a 10 day cruise from Rome to Greece with 4 days land trip before and one day after cruise.  I'm planning on using the same packing strategy.😊

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alikat3000 said:

Thanks! I will check that out.

10 hours ago, Cruising_Addict said:

We did Alaska (which requires coats and boots plus took formal wear) in just carry on and back packs.  Last year, we did 3.5 weeks in Europe with just carry ons, a backpack, and 1 checked luggage.  Only reason I checked a piece of luggage was because I bought gifts to a friend and her daughters that included an American Girl Doll, clothes, and books. 

How do I do it?

1. I wash clothes on the ship or use the laundry service so we don't bring more than about 5-6 days of clothing.

2. I limit number of shoes we bring to 1 pair snear, 1 flip flop and 1 formal wear shoe (if we do formal night).  This is a big deal because my husband wears size 12/13 and my boys have adult size feet already despite being 8 and 10.

3. I vacuume pack any bulky items like coats or jackets.

4. Most days I don't wear makeup at all...if I do, it is foundation, powder and lip gloss. I pack very little jewelry. 

5. I buy sodas, wine, etc. once we get to where we are going.

Honestly, this year I probably will even skip formal wear because that usually requires an extra bag and it is just extra to carry. 

The reason I do this is:

1. I want everyone to be able to carry their own luggage. I am traveling with two kids and so can't be carrying my luggage, and carrying their luggage or messing with a cart.

2. Due to no fault of our own (roads shut down in port of Dover and no one could get anywhere) we had to walk 1.3 miles to the ship carrying our luggage from our hotel. Things like this happen sometimes...especially in Europe. Another time (on a different trip) someone jumped in front of our train (to commit suicide) and they had to shut the train down and we had to walk a long ways to a bus stop. Things like this happen. Best to not have to deal with a bunch of luggage.

3.  Last summer, there were lots of problems with bags being lost. It was truly next level ridiculous. Flying carry on only prevents this from happening.  

4. It is just easier.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alikat3000 said:

Great suggestion. I don't think I was doing that. I just had changed the shipping address.

Now I have to figure out what the spanish term for an egg carton is because when I searched almohadilla de colchon, it gave me those pads you put under women after they give birth to keep the sheets from staining. 🫢

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Cruising_Addict said:

Depends on what you want to do on the cruise I suppose. We saw a young lady on a HAL cruise go on board with a small backpack-style purse on her back, and after 7 days, saw her leaving the parking lot at the terminal with nothing more than that backpack-style purse. We only ever saw her on the boat wearing a bikini laying by the pool. Could only assume she brought nothing but bikinis and the closthes she wore on and off(same outfit).

14 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I wonder if there would be extra comforters and you could request one and have it under your fitted sheet?🤷‍♀️

This is what Carnival now uses for a mattress topper if you ask your steward to make your bed softer. (There's usually an extra one under the bed, too.) It does very little IMO.  The "new" mattresses are awful.  I really miss the previous mattresses. I ordered an inflatable topper that I take with me now.  It definitely helps, and takes up very little space in our luggage.