Suites prices have gone wild

tomcruiser1234

1 minute ago, mrgabriel said:

Yes, suites are expensive - but they're sold out on most cruises that we're looking at so what does that tell you? 

What I'm finding insane is some of the prices for AQ. Last night I took a quick look at a December cruise on Infinity (Canaries) and AQ is outrageously priced - almost $2k more than Concierge class and $2300pp more than a verandah. That's a pretty steep premium for Blu, wifi and drinks. 

All US prices at the moment

- Inside from $1248pp

- OV from $1598pp

- Veranda from $2098pp

- CC from $2499pp

- AQ from $4392 (!)pp

- Retreat from $6391pp

AQ is way overpriced for what you get.  Blu is fine.  But the Specialties are better.  Thermal spa is nice.  But weekly pass is not that much.  On the bidding process, I will pay $150-200 pp for Aqua.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mnocket said:

It's not like on Celebrity where Retreat guests tend to spend a lot of time outside the confines of the Retreat.  

So why is Retreat priced at such a high premium? It was said upthread that you get what you pay for with MSC Yacht Club, which is exactly why I booked it. The same can no longer be said for Retreat, which is the point of this thread.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

almost $2k more than Concierge class and $2300pp more than a verandah.

How much are CC and veranda with AI and compare that to AQ? That's a more apples to apples comparison and, I suspect, would close the gap dramatically.

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

AQ is way overpriced for what you get.  Blu is fine.  But the Specialties are better.  Thermal spa is nice.  But weekly pass is not that much.  On the bidding process, I will pay $150-200 pp for Aqua.

we still think AQ Class is a good value for us   We enjoy BLU..other than on EDGE( bad location and layout)   .and we  make good  use of the Thermal suite area. esp S class.

We recently had our one and only sky suite experience on BEYOND.  It was okay but no reason for us  to go that route.  We did not like the menu, food itself, dark feeling or the  layout of Luminae. The retreat lounge was a large waste of space,  and the Retreat pool area was crowded..other than on the port day we stayed on board.  Lunch there was so so.

we did like having a larger stateroom, early boarding and disembarkation but will manage with out it.. as well as the constant  pampering by the butler!

diff strokes for diff folks.. Probably tge Best value on  E class is a SV..if u can  snag one

• Like 2

Well, I booked an Oceania PH1, on a new ship, for their TA to Lisbon.  We wanted to stay a few weeks with a car and drive to Algarve.  The price for this TA was $375 pp a day, along with a walk-in closet area.  I have never cruised Oceania, but lots more included without O-Life.  $1,200 capacity sound great too; much better than flying both ways, IMHO.  Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy Celebrity, but could not pass up this offer, along with a new ship/cruise line.  Furthermore, I have several SV’s booked and a few SS's with Celebrity, so not jumping ship, but being more proactive with my bookings, as prices, along with Move-Up prices soar!  Honestly, everything is really high, not to mention credit card debt for many.  Some want to go now and worry about the money later.  This will not be sustainable going forward, but now we just hang on for the ride.  I am an opportunity cost person and enjoy a good deal!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

we still think AQ Class is a good value for us   We enjoy BLU..other than on EDGE( bad location and layout)   .and we  make good  use of the Thermal suite area. esp S class.

But at how much more per week than a regular veranda?  $500?  $1000?  $2000?

It's good that people have choices.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

A month ago we booked an accessible Sky Suite for an 11 night Canada/New England.  Yes.  It was expensive plus Travel Guard no fault insurance.  Honestly, I’m not sure how many cruises I have left 68 and poor health) so hubby said “let’s go big”.  (Aqua class is the highest we booked before).

Jim plans to take some of the long excursions that I cannot handle.  He was happy I would have a butler to take care of me.

Yes. Our situation is unique.  Yes, when booked we actually felt the price was appropriate for 11 nights in a big accessible suite.  Prices HAVE gone up since we booked.  (501 days now - can I start packing?)

• Like 9

2 hours ago, kjwinston2019 said:

Remember the Titanic...and the Class System ....IT's BACK! 

aaa001.png

My mom was on a ship in 1948 coming back from Europe after spending the war there, she was in second class and thought it was great 

I am in second class on Celebrity now and find it great, we even let some of the retreat people hang with us 🤣

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

But at how much more per week than a regular veranda?  $500?  $1000?  $2000?

It's good that people have choices.

We book what we like and can afford at the time..so I honestly do not track  price comparisons..esp.now that we are cruising less often..

When BLU was first introduced, the issue for us was our  need to escape the  "din" of the mdr.

.on E Class the 4 mdrs are truly great but we just prefer BLU

• Like 1

4 hours ago, binro01 said:

As for MSC, you do get what you pay for. MSC Yacht Club is great if you never leave the enclave. On Celebrity the whole ship is a beautiful and wonderful experience. Entertainment between lines are not even comparable to me, as well as the specialty restaurants and diverse venues. 

While Celebrity is my go-to line, I have to say that we have done 2 MSC YC experiences and have 2 more on the books.  The ships are beautiful IMO (in all spaces) but I agree that service can change venue to venue outside the YC.  Also have to agree with you about theater entertainment on MSC as they have to try and appeal to a more international audience, which can be a challenge.  Having said that, on our Solstice cruise at the beginning of March I found the theater entertainment to be extremely lacking and certainly not what I had grown to expect on Celebrity.

We have booked a 4-night pre-maiden voyage on the Ascent for November.  The suite prices were just silly for a 4 night cruise.  We opted for a porthole balcony cabin and will capitalize on our Elite perks.  Even with that we are looking at $400 pp/per day with drinks and wifi.  We paid it though...so I guess Celebrity will continue to price for what the market will allow...good for them!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, horseymike said:

How is the food in the MSC Yacht Club ?

We found it to be excellent!  Tends to be seafood forward but always has a meat option and pasta.  Each night was a different risotto which we ordered for the table.  Desserts are not really my thing so I don't have much of an opinion there.  We enjoyed to food very much!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mnocket said:

I don't leave the Yacht Club much simply because I'm totally content there.  It's not like on Celebrity where Retreat guests tend to spend a lot of time outside the confines of the Retreat.  

One really never has to leave if they choose not to...they even bring in live entertainment and have a dance floor.  I think the inside areas of the ship are very enjoyable.  Agree there is quite a carnival atmosphere on the pool decks.  Some people may like that vibe for a while and then escape back to the quiet of the YC.  I know that if I traveled with my 30-somethings and their kids, they would not really enjoy the pool decks on Celebrity like they would on MSC.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, padgman1 said:

Good for you.

Probably smart, too, as we currently have friends on Eclipse who have tested positive for COVID-19 while on the ship...( not to be a Debbie Downer, just being factual).

Unfortunately, it's the reality we find ourselves in.  Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.  I just hope we don't miss Tahiti!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We have booked a 4-night pre-maiden voyage on the Ascent for November. 

We have booked Ascent on January 7th 2024 in an E3 IV Partial View, which really is not to bad of a partial view because we are not the cabin right next to the MC rail, we are the next cabin over and on a floor where the parked MC will never hinder our view. For that 7N cruise with tha All Included package we paid a total of 196.00 pp/pn. I say that's a pretty good win to try out the new ship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Getting ready to order this. I keep hearing independent advisors (i.e., not paid by assets under management) mentioning this...

61+4EHZ4faL.jpg

The tagline is a guide to living rich instead of dying rich...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

How much are CC and veranda with AI and compare that to AQ? That's a more apples to apples comparison and, I suspect, would close the gap dramatically.

CC with all-included is $3546, so still paying a premium of $800 for Blu and Spa access. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Well, I booked an Oceania PH1, on a new ship, for their TA to Lisbon.  We wanted to stay a few weeks with a car and drive to Algarve.  The price for this TA was $375 pp a day, along with a walk-in closet area.  I have never cruised Oceania, but lots more included without O-Life.  $1,200 capacity sound great too; much better than flying both ways, IMHO.  Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy Celebrity, but could not pass up this offer, along with a new ship/cruise line.  Furthermore, I have several SV’s booked and a few SS's with Celebrity, so not jumping ship, but being more proactive with my bookings, as prices, along with Move-Up prices soar!  Honestly, everything is really high, not to mention credit card debt for many.  Some want to go now and worry about the money later.  This will not be sustainable going forward, but now we just hang on for the ride.  I am an opportunity cost person and enjoy a good deal!

We have been comparing the Beyond Fall 2024 TA in a SS with the Oceania Vista Fall 2024 TA in a PH2.  When I figure in tips, drinks, OBC, etc., it’s about a push. 

I think we need to try a shorter itinerary if we try Oceania, because they tend to be very Port intensive, which is not our preference. 

Good to have options and with current pricing, as you say, we need to investigate them. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Thanks 1

My days of sailing in suites are over for now (maybe ever).  Just can't justify the prices.  I was so spoiled the last couple of years - after sailing most of my 70+ cruises in everything from inside to Aqua (with the latter being the most often), we were able to book suites on all of our cruises (I've lost count of the number - more than 10 I think).  We even tad one cruise in a Royal Suite for what we usually paid for Aqua Class (aaaahhhh those were the days).  Now the suite prices are so, so high.  But as long as they fill them that won't change.  I have to think when some people start looking at their credit card balances the trend might change but that's just wishful thinking on my part perhaps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

While Celebrity is my go-to line, I have to say that we have done 2 MSC YC experiences and have 2 more on the books.  The ships are beautiful IMO (in all spaces) but I agree that service can change venue to venue outside the YC.  Also have to agree with you about theater entertainment on MSC as they have to try and appeal to a more international audience, which can be a challenge.  Having said that, on our Solstice cruise at the beginning of March I found the theater entertainment to be extremely lacking and certainly not what I had grown to expect on Celebrity.

We have booked a 4-night pre-maiden voyage on the Ascent for November.  The suite prices were just silly for a 4 night cruise.  We opted for a porthole balcony cabin and will capitalize on our Elite perks.  Even with that we are looking at $400 pp/per day with drinks and wifi.  We paid it though...so I guess Celebrity will continue to price for what the market will allow...good for them!

Yes, using those elite perks is a great deal!  We actually booked a "no frills" cruise on Ascent for 9 days in an SV, so those perks will come in handy!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8

Every decision is subjective.

I will say that my partner and I are land travelers usually, and primarily because one of us gets sea sick just being in a bathtub.

We will occasionally do cruises on small ships and decided to try Celebrity Beyond this past Jan/Feb. We figured, bigger ship, more stable, less sea sick. This mostly worked.

Loved Beyond in an Edge Villa. Superb service all around. Rarely left our room and Retreat except for specialty dining and shore excursions. And the multiple spa treatments. All wonderful.

We're on Beyond again in Aug/Sep, same room. Booked another future EV after that and one Iconic (taking two kids with us, so this room makes sense with the two bedrooms. Otherwise, the EV is ideal for two) on cruises for later.

I have no reference point for what one gets if not in an EV or Iconic, but I like what I have seen so far of the EV and Retreat.

Having said this, when we travel, we go for memorable, and we're willing to pay for it. We all have our reference for "memorable."

If I weren't able to be where I am, I think I'd still go for memorable in a measure that fits my budget and I'd be happy all the same.

These Edge ships are nice, and the only way we'll book when traveling with Celebrity. IMO, they've done a great job.

Peace and kindness to all.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

Up to now we’ve always sailed in suites from PS to CS or 1 bed suite on disney. We are booked in Aqua on silhouette for our next cruise. Can’t justify the pricing. But on E class will have to be SV or a suite as I spend a lot of my time on my own balcony. IV won’t cut it for me. If prices rise for suites we will look elsewhere. 

• Like 1

We are looking beyond Celebrity as we usually sail suites and the prices now are insane.  We have sailed suites on RCCL but not the same experience at all.  We enjoy a quiet laid back ship.

This thread has mentioned MSC Yacht Club a lot and Oceania too.  Is there an area on HAL that is like the Retreat and Yacht Club?  What ships?  Is there a the better suite value on HAL vs Celebrity?  

20 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I can't justify paying three times the price for a Sky Suite over a veranda.  I don't hang out at the pool so the Retreat has no interest to me.  I don't drink alcohol so an included drink package is not interesting.  I'm sure additional space and Luminae are great.  But not worth three times the price.  More power to anyone who can afford the suite prices.

and just because you can afford it doesn't mean you can justify it!!!! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Donut23 said:

A month ago we booked an accessible Sky Suite for an 11 night Canada/New England.  Yes.  It was expensive plus Travel Guard no fault insurance.  Honestly, I’m not sure how many cruises I have left 68 and poor health) so hubby said “let’s go big”.  (Aqua class is the highest we booked before).

Jim plans to take some of the long excursions that I cannot handle.  He was happy I would have a butler to take care of me.

Yes. Our situation is unique.  Yes, when booked we actually felt the price was appropriate for 11 nights in a big accessible suite.  Prices HAVE gone up since we booked.  (501 days now - can I start packing?)

Just curious as to what you are expecting.   .” I would have a butler to take care of me”.       The butler is not assigned  just for your cabin.