Lack of empathy with shore excursion injury

phnett

Your treatment was good compared to what we observed on Holland America a few years ago.  Our guide in Spanish Morocco directed all passengers to get their passports out as we were going to cross a border.  One pax stood up to get her purse from the overhead bin as the driver made an emergency stop propelling the woman forward and into the front window of the bus.  The HAL rep on board insisted we return to the ship.  (The guide wanted to continue.)  On arrival at the ship, medical met her pier side and refused to let her reboard as the incident was the responsibility of the tour vendor.  She was transported the local hospital and then flown to Spain for treatment.  She was able to rejoin us a day or two later.  I am not sure if the fact that it was head trauma made any difference or not.  So much for the ship taking care of you.    

On 4/26/2023 at 4:52 PM, phnett said:

As stated in the first part of the post that I wanted to warn others of this excursion stop and yes I did expect empathy with Celebrity . 

I would like to think they run inspection of the excursions they use. Safety checks and such. 

Medical team did call to check on me. I had no issue with that team.  It was the guest relations and shore excursion desk that gave no follow up or empathy. 

I did email the Ministers of Tourism and of infrastructure  of St. Lucia about this dock

and Celebrity corp offices as well. 

Are you thinking that Celebrity should have inspected that dock?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BSinPNS said:

Your treatment was good compared to what we observed on Holland America a few years ago.  Our guide in Spanish Morocco directed all passengers to get their passports out as we were going to cross a border.  One pax stood up to get her purse from the overhead bin as the driver made an emergency stop propelling the woman forward and into the front window of the bus.  The HAL rep on board insisted we return to the ship.  (The guide wanted to continue.)  On arrival at the ship, medical met her pier side and refused to let her reboard as the incident was the responsibility of the tour vendor.  She was transported the local hospital and then flown to Spain for treatment.  She was able to rejoin us a day or two later.  I am not sure if the fact that it was head trauma made any difference or not.  So much for the ship taking care of you.    

Devils advocate here  - when I read this - I suspect HAL may have done the right thing and were concerned about being able to treat her on board with a head injury. Certainly a hospital is much better equipped to deal with any complications that might have arisen from a head injury. Who knows - perhaps that day or 2 at a local hospital was required to save her life (or at least monitor it to ensure the best outcome). 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BSinPNS said:

On arrival at the ship, medical met her pier side and refused to let her reboard as the incident was the responsibility of the tour vendor.  She was transported the local hospital and then flown to Spain for treatment.  She was able to rejoin us a day or two later.  I am not sure if the fact that it was head trauma made any difference or not.  So much for the ship taking care of you.    

Looks like they DID take care of her. Letting her board and act like nothing had happened sounds foolish, admitting her to the hospital for thorough examination and treatment was the right call. A ship's medical bay is not equipped to deal with her if the condition suddenly deteriorates.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BSinPNS said:

While I agree with what you said, barring her and her SO from even getting on board out of the sun and providing no support at all was not good.  

Medical met her shore side, evaluated and determined she needed to go to a hospital for the care she needed.

I doubt the medical person left her by herself on the pier until the ambulance arrived.

It would also be easier to get her in an ambulance from the pier that ambulance personnel needing to bring a  stretcher or wheelchair  on board and bringing her out through the gangway.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

Are you thinking that Celebrity should have inspected that dock?

Pssst.  I think that the title of the post says it all.  Lack of empathy.

Perhaps Celebrity could have been more understanding and accommodating in this manner as they sold the shore excursion.  Just sayin...

There are ways to impress your customers when things go wrong and there are ways to tixx them off.  A quality business will have customers banging on the door to purchase the latest product before it is available.

For those that have gone the extra mile I will book them again and again and tell all of my friends.  These businesses can command  a higher price as they produce a quality product.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Pssst.  I think that the title of the post says it all.  Lack of empathy.

Perhaps Celebrity could have been more understanding and accommodating in this manner as they sold the shore excursion.  Just sayin...

There are ways to impress your customers when things go wrong and there are ways to tixx them off.  A quality business will have customers banging on the door to purchase the latest product before it is available.

For those that have gone the extra mile I will book them again and again and tell all of my friends.  These businesses can command  a higher price as they produce a quality product.

Pssst.  Poster is demanding inspection of excursions.  Hence the question which has not received an answer???

• Like 3

On 4/26/2023 at 9:52 PM, phnett said:

As stated in the first part of the post that I wanted to warn others of this excursion stop and yes I did expect empathy with Celebrity . 

I would like to think they run inspection of the excursions they use. Safety checks and such. 

Medical team did call to check on me. I had no issue with that team.  It was the guest relations and shore excursion desk that gave no follow up or empathy. 

I did email the Ministers of Tourism and of infrastructure  of St. Lucia about this dock

and Celebrity corp offices as well. 

Accidents happen, they’re inevitable. Not sure inspections could have prevented what happened to you. Thanks for making us all aware.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Pssst.  Poster is demanding inspection of excursions.  Hence the question which has not received an answer???

I had thought that they did this at some interval?  I have seen ship employees every once in a while on the excursions.

I admit that I have not read all 86 posts though ...

I am busy searching for Avatar PJs...

Edited by NMTraveller

37 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I had thought that they did this at some interval?  I have seen ship employees every once in a while on the excursions.

Can/Should Celebrity inspect every stairs, every window and door?  Do they inspect every boat, every restaurant?  Do they rely on partners?

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

They should inspect E class and find out what happened to all of the balconies. 🙂🙂

What are you talking about?  They just pop out like an RV.  There’s a button for it just by the window.  🙄

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What are you talking about?  They just pop out like an RV.  There’s a button for it just by the window.  🙄

Boom!

You nailed it.  It should be called the Infinite RV...

Edited by NMTraveller

There has been has been a lot a comments both of concern and of advice . I would thank all those that showed concern. I am well and healthy. I did take the advice to follow up with Celebrity Corporate. They immediately did reach out to me. I spoke with them today and they were very sympathetic of my injuries and insured us that they did receive and  have the photos of the accident taken by the catamaran Captain of the falling Dock area and of my injuries that I allowed to be taken in medical. They are investigating further for safety issues and would review the lack of empathy given to us by the guest relations and shore excursion manager.

I am satisfied with this outcome. 

thank you Celebrity for this follow up. 

I also had reached out to the Ministry of tourism and Ministry of infrastructure for St Lucia  about my concerns for safety on this State park dock. I have not heard back from either division as of yet. 

Edited by phnett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I don't think the OP is unreasonable in stating that an excursion being offered by Celebrity should be expected to meet some Celebrity standard. And the only way that can be done is periodic checking.

Certainly a first aid kit would be the absolute minimum one has the right to expect. No one has said every step or other things have to be tested. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BSinPNS said:

While I agree with what you said, barring her and her SO from even getting on board out of the sun and providing no support at all was not good. 

Please don't add "facts". There was no mention of being left out in the sun and the ship did provide support i.e. it referred the passenger to the place where she would get the best treatment.

7 hours ago, phnett said:

There has been has been a lot a comments both of concern and of advice . I would thank all those that showed concern. I am well and healthy. I did take the advice to follow up with Celebrity Corporate. They immediately did reach out to me. I spoke with them today and they were very sympathetic of my injuries and insured us that they did receive and  have the photos of the accident taken by the catamaran Captain of the falling Dock area and of my injuries that I allowed to be taken in medical. They are investigating further for safety issues and would review the lack of empathy given to us by the guest relations and shore excursion manager.

I am satisfied with this outcome. 

thank you Celebrity for this follow up. 

I also had reached out to the Ministry of tourism and Ministry of infrastructure for St Lucia  about my concerns for safety on this State park dock. I have not heard back from either division as of yet. 

I’m glad you’re satisfied however many of us may not be as we wonder if their response was legit or just lip service.

You would think is passenger safety and compassion were of prime importance, they wouldn’t need to investigate on lack of empathy as it never should have happened.

22 hours ago, BSinPNS said:

That's really not a very smart statement. This type of injury requires cervical spine clearance as well as ruling out intracranial bleed the likelihood of which determined by mechanism of injury plus personal medical history including meds this person is taking i.e. blood thinners for example. This is a routine and simple workup but needs a CT scanner that ship does not have. There would be a line of lawyers willing to take a case if there is a bad outcome in this situation on board the ship. There is no justification ship doc could offer to the law snakes as to why he/she decided to board a person when the ship was in port with facilities available for transfer

19 minutes ago, tunafish said:

That's really not a very smart statement. This type of injury requires cervical spine clearance as well as ruling out intracranial bleed the likelihood of which determined by mechanism of injury plus personal medical history including meds this person is taking i.e. blood thinners for example. This is a routine and simple workup but needs a CT scanner that ship does not have. There would be a line of lawyers willing to take a case if there is a bad outcome in this situation on board the ship. There is no justification ship doc could offer to the law snakes as to why he/she decided to board a person when the ship was in port with facilities available for transfer

You call them law snakes but I would say they can provide an important function in this case.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

You call them law snakes but I would say they can provide an important function in this case.

the short answer is "no". They drive cost of medical care up, providers are forced to practice "cover your ass" medicine instead of common sense evidence based approach and cost of malpractice insurance goes to the sky, again ultimately hurting the patient. 

19 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Shore excursions do have Celebrity personnel participate usually once a year.  The standards are LOCAL standards which may not be the same as at home.

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Shore excursions do have Celebrity personnel participate usually once a year.  The standards are LOCAL standards which may not be the same as at home.

Sort of like the standards for ziplining and parasailing!