Personal Hygiene & Safety!

Oxo

This is a very important subject as it affects all who cruise. 

What about the passengers who put their bare feet on the tables, chairs, couches?
Or those that go bare foot into the Buffet?
The Main bar personnel  filling passenger water bottles with ice using the scoops to get the ice and putting it into the water bottles?

Another concern is parents who let their children run all around like every place is a play area. In the showroom, sitting on the stairs playing while people are trying to use the stairs. The parents sit and watch without removing the children so other people will not trip over them. These are tottlers, too.

These are not complaines. These are facts and should not be tolerated. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Oxo said:

This is a very important subject as it affects all who cruise. 

What about the passengers who put their bare feet on the tables, chairs, couches?
Or those that go bare foot into the Buffet?
The Main bar personnel  filling passenger water bottles with ice using the scoops to get the ice and putting it into the water bottles?

Another concern is parents who let their children run all around like every place is a play area. In the showroom, sitting on the stairs playing while people are trying to use the stairs. The parents sit and watch without removing the children so other people will not trip over them. These are tottlers, too.

These are not complaines. These are facts and should not be tolerated. 

What do you suggest ? MSC have a bunch of personel roam the ship looking for " offenders " ? Say one stationed by the water/ice machine and another looking for bare foot passengers in the buffet ? My point is policy and policy enforcement are two different things. Look at all the chair hog threads as an example of policy vs. actual policy enforcement.

Edited by NYcruzzer
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

What do you suggest ? MSC have a bunch of personel roam the ship looking for " offenders " ? Say one stationed by the water/ice machine and another looking for bare foot passengers in the buffet ? My point is policy and policy enforcement are two different things. Look at all the chair hog threads as an example of policy vs. actual policy enforcement.

Very easy solution for the OP.  DON'T CRUISE, EVER!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

What is your suggestion? I know the deference between policy & enforcement. Too bad others don't respect others. Why would a staff member not follow hygiene. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Staying home might an even better solution. 😆

You can do what you want. Hope you encounter this problem on a cruise I only have 6 more cruises this year. What about you? 

8 hours ago, Boozy O Croozy said:

The worst I've seen this is on NCL. Absolutely uncouth and disrespectful.

And horrors upon horrors.  It used to be said ‘the floors are so clean you could eat off of them.’ Not anymore, with all the bare feet.

• Haha 1

Personal hygiene and parents not controlling their children are 2 separate topics.

If a kid is sitting on the stairs, blocking me, my foot (maybe even bare foot) will move him/her.  And I will, had have (not well received) asked parents to control their children (ie-running around the stage in the atrium when someone was performing on NCL).

• Like 1

The underlaying issue is that some people simply don’t care about anything and anyone.

Social etiquette is enforced by group pressure, not by cruise lines or airlines.

Some responses to this threat show that people tolerate this kind of behavior such as barefeet in the buffet restaurant or barefeet on chairs and sofas. Such behaviors shows disrespect for other guests and selfish attitude.

The question is who sets the parameters what’s tolerated and what’s not ?

No shoes at the buffet is o.k. ?

How about no shirt .. or no pants ?

Etiquette has served as a code of social behavior for centuries. Unfortunately public etiquette has declined over the last 10 years.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

The underlaying issue is that some people simply don’t care about anything and anyone.

Social etiquette is enforced by group pressure, not by cruise lines or airlines.

Some responses to this threat show that people tolerate this kind of behavior such as barefeet in the buffet restaurant or barefeet on chairs and sofas. Such behaviors shows disrespect for other guests and selfish attitude.

Etiquette has served as a code of social behavior for centuries. Unfortunately public etiquette has declined over the last 10 years.

Again, I think most of us on these forums would agree that all of these things are bad. I myself was VERY off-put by a woman who put her bare foot up on a chair in the Edge Bar on Meraviglia last week. The challenge is, what can we do about it? Complaining to crew is no real answer. Then the poor crew member has to admonish the offender and the crew is trained to try to keep all the guests happy. The offender is a guest. So then they are in a position of choosing which guests to please.

I could go up to the person myself and ask them to please remove their bare foot from the indoor furniture, but then I am the "bad guy" and might actually provoke some sort of conflict or incident. I am on vacation and definitely don't want to get involved in any altercation, so that's not a viable solution either.

So that is where we are. Clear problems with no clear solution. Right now, all we can hope is that passengers themselves behave better, but that is a slim hope.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, Oxo said:

You can do what you want. Hope you encounter this problem on a cruise I only have 6 more cruises this year. What about you? 

2 for me, and I usually wear shoes..and rarely eat in the buffet. 

10 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

Well said.  We all need to be better people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am on the Meraviglia right now, sitting in the Edge bar and I just spotted this shoeprint on a cushion on one of the couches. I did not witness someone actually standing on the couch, but it must have happened.

PXL_20230423_143615117.jpg

Edited by JamieLogical

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I am on the Meraviglia right now, sitting in the Edge bar and I just spotted this shoeprint on a cushion on one of the couches. I did not witness someone actually standing on the couch, but it must have happened.

PXL_20230423_143615117.jpg

Bigfoot is real!😃

• Haha 2

Hi all!  Mike here using Cathy’s sign on.  I just have to comment on this.

Like it or not, we live in a selfish society and some people just do what they want regardless of rules.  As an example, we live in a condo. There is a big sign in the garbage room that asks folks to break down boxes before they are put into the recycling bins so there is room for everyone to use them.  I’d say at least half the people who live here don’t do that and throw these enormous boxes in these bins.

So when I read that people are being less than hygienic on a cruise…or anywhere really am I surprised?  Nope.

I can’t control what anyone else does.  I can only control what I do.  I control what goes in my mouth, which is why I don’t eat at buffets anymore.  I look at the seat I’m about to sit in before I sit down.  Can it sometimes be inconvenient?  Sure.  Does it stop me from ultimately having a good time?  No, it really doesn’t.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dgshooter said:

My last cruise I was minding my own business sitting in the buffet, trimming my toe nails. I couldn't believe it when some Karen came over to me and complained. Some people!

That's flippin funny.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 9:03 AM, Dgshooter said:

My last cruise I was minding my own business sitting in the buffet, trimming my toe nails. I couldn't believe it when some Karen came over to me and complained. Some people!

I had a guest do that in my living room. My than husband..his best friend and I just looked at her and like *****. 

Sometimes the passenger needs to bring poor hygiene to the crew's attention.

We were in the buffet on the Divina.  Our table happen to be one of the tables next to the window.

We watched in dismay as a woman walked over to the empty table next to us with a baby, place the baby on the table, and changed a poopy diaper.

We didn't say anything because of a language barrier.

As soon as she left, I jumped up, tilted  the chairs up against the table and stood guard while my husband went to find one of the white shirt head waiters

Meanwhile, someone else glared  at me when I wouldn't let them use the table (I dusted off my game of charades skill and pantomimed what had just happen as there was a language barrier).

When my husband returned and the white shirt understood what had occurred, he also stopped people from using the table until staff arrived with gloves and disinfectant and the table and chairs were thoroughly cleaned.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

We were in the buffet on the Divina.  Our table happen to be one of the tables next to the window.

We watched in dismay as a woman walked over to the empty table next to us with a baby, place the baby on the table, and changed a poopy diaper.

As soon as she left, I jumped up, tilted  the chairs up against the table and stood guard while my husband went to find one of the white shirt head waiters

Meanwhile, someone else glared  at me when I wouldn't let them use the table (I dusted off my game of charades skill and pantomimed what had just happen as there was a language barrier).

When my husband returned and the white shirt understood what had occurred, he also stopped people from using the table until staff arrived with gloves and disinfectant and the table and chairs were thoroughly cleaned.

Some people are just utter pigs...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Okay. What the actual f***? That is just horrendous.