MDR questions

DZ77

We are a group of 16 on the Joy over the summer, and we requested dinner reservations for 7:00 PM every night in the MDR.   When we received confirmation, we were given reservations for 7:30 PM split between the 3 main dining rooms. 

We were hoping for 7:00 PM so we could make the 9:00 PM shows.   

With the 7:30 reservation, how likely is it that we can make a 9:00 PM show?  I assume with a group of 16, a meal will take longer than 90 minutes.  What are other people's experiences with the length of dinner? 

We tried to request to shift our reservation to 7:00 PM and was told once a reservation is made, it can't be changed until you are onboard.

What is the likelihood we can move our reservation to 7:00 PM once we get onboard? 

Thank you

1 minute ago, DZ77 said:

We are a group of 16 on the Joy over the summer, and we requested dinner reservations for 7:00 PM every night in the MDR.   When we received confirmation, we were given reservations for 7:30 PM split between the 3 main dining rooms. 

We were hoping for 7:00 PM so we could make the 9:00 PM shows.   

With the 7:30 reservation, how likely is it that we can make a 9:00 PM show?  I assume with a group of 16, a meal will take longer than 90 minutes.  What are other people's experiences with the length of dinner? 

We tried to request to shift our reservation to 7:00 PM and was told once a reservation is made, it can't be changed until you are onboard.

What is the likelihood we can move our reservation to 7:00 PM once we get onboard? 

Thank you

It is unlikely that you would make a 9pm show with a 7:30pm MDR reservation (in fact 7pm would be pushing it on some nights). 

You can probably move it easily. 

(1) large group dining takes a long time. No one is ever on time holding up the entire group. You are limited by the slowest person in the table. Plan on 2.5 hours. 

(2) We have found that having one or two group dinners is as much as most can tolerate. With the large number of dining venues, activities, and plans ashore and on the ship, no one wants to get “stuck” eating together every night. And they will resent the organizer for “ruining their vacation” by imposing group dinners. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You can probably move it easily. 

(1) large group dining takes a long time. No one is ever on time holding up the entire group. You are limited by the slowest person in the table. Plan on 2.5 hours. 

(2) We have found that having one or two group dinners is as much as most can tolerate. With the large number of dining venues, activities, and plans ashore and on the ship, no one wants to get “stuck” eating together every night. And they will resent the organizer for “ruining their vacation” by imposing group dinners. 

Hmm- maybe we will look to change it to a 6:30 reservation. 

We are a family with grandparents, their kids/spouses and teenage grandkids. So hopefully we don't feel stuck eating together (and when the grandparents are sponsoring the trip, and they want to eat dinner together...).  The rest of the day, everyone can be off on their own. 

• Like 1

When you board, just adjust your dining reservations. An NCL rep told me they only release 20/% of the dining reservations ahead of sailing. I would suggest as soon as you board go to the location for dining reservations and make them or adjust them. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Don’t assume shows will start at 9:00. 

What times do the shows usually start?  How can I confirm the timing of the shows?

12 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Don’t assume shows will start at 9:00. 

But then on the other hand once the show has started - it is not appreciated for the show

to be interrupted by late comers.

On another note on some ships the MDR has an alcove or room off to the side to accommodate

large groups check it out -

YES when you first get on board check with the Dining Reservation desk or go directly to

the MDR and discuss your situation with the staff - Host - Maite-d and see what they can

work out - If trying to make that 9pm show include that in the discussion.

Think about keeping the menu selection simple so all the selections can be served at the

same time setting you free to "get me to the show on time !"

AND agreed that everyone dining at the same time every night together is "OLD HAT" !

Once or twice on a 7 day cruise is enough - I don't think much of the same dining time

with the same staff all nights of the cruise duration - had enough of that on Princess and

Holland America - that is why NCL FreeStyle cruising is a hit !

I guess if someone were paying for me, I'd reluctantly go to dinner with them. I'd be unhappy...and sure, you could call me ungrateful. But a group dinner of 16 people every night? No stinking thank you! I know, I know...I'm an ungracious little (well fat) brat. 

On the other hand, if I were paying for a group of people, first, I'd sure be in better financial shape than I am now, but secondly, I'd insist on one, maybe two meals together. Probably lunch, not dinner, and then let the folks entertain themselves so I could enjoy my freedom away from all those ungrateful little/fat brats. 🙂

For real though, talk to someone once you board. 16 is a lot of people. They'll make it work and I'm sure it won't be as terrible a time as I envision it to be. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, genealogyfan said:

When you board, just adjust your dining reservations. An NCL rep told me they only release 20/% of the dining reservations ahead of sailing. I would suggest as soon as you board go to the location for dining reservations and make them or adjust them. 

I believe that this is incorrect information.  I have a recent data point.  I was on the Bliss on a B2B the last two weeks.  We were not required to step off the ship for the second sailing and sat in the Atrium watching the remaining stragglers get booted off the ship.  There were only three of us B2B who stayed on the ship.  I went to Teppanyaki at about ten minutes to 11:00 (when they were to officially open for dinner reservations).  The touch screens weren't working yet.  I was literally the very first person to request on board reservations.  I don't believe even the Haven boarding had started yet.  I tried to book an Ocean Blue for 5:30 and there were none available for the entire 7 days.  I did get a 5:45, but it was only available on one night.  They may hold some back, but it is certainly not 80%.

• Like 2

It isn’t clear what the percentage is (or even if it is a consistent proportion). I have read various different percentages which people were told by NCL staff (from

20% to about 75%).

Given the tendency for NCL staff, especially phone staff, to just guess or make stuff up, I wouldn’t give any credence to what they say.

A proportion of bookings are held back, but the actual percentage could be anything.

• Like 2

Our first cruise was NCL, just my husband and I, we loved the MTD concept. Next cruise was DCL with our 5 kids and my parents, OMG the struggle to get 9 people to our table for early seating was real, getting back on the ship, and getting everyone showered (and of course folks were hungry getting back on the ship so snacking happened, which meant no one was really hungry for dinner). Back to NCL, we still ate as a family for dinner, but made no reservations, so much better. I can’t imagine getting 16 people to the table at a certain time every single night! Maybe a couple and switch people around (I’m assuming 2 tables). My sister and I rent a (expensive- could cruise for the cost) beach house for a week for the summer with our kids (8 in total) and SO’s are invited as well. They are free to go out to dinner if they wish, or eat what we make.

• Like 2

We were a group of 29 on a rccl sailing about 8 years ago and every one of us had dinner together every night and it was sooooo much fun. Ages went from young teens to grandparents in their mid 70's.

We had early seating at 6pm and we made our arrangements before we sailed.

We had 3 tables for 10 right next to each other by the windows and it was a party atmosphere every night.

Some days you'd go all day and not see more than a handful of your people and then everyone would show up for dinner to describe their adventures.

It was one of my favorite cruises and I don't believe anyone was resentful.

There was some minor switching of seats night to night, but really not much as some of us enjoyed having our favorite drink waiting for us at our seat when we arrived every night and we didn't want to mess up our servers. Lmao!!

Anyway, I'd say it's all about the group of people you have. We had 29 people who wanted to have those dinners together every night, but be on their own the rest of the time.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

We were a group of 29 on a rccl sailing about 8 years ago and every one of us had dinner together every night and it was sooooo much fun. Ages went from young teens to grandparents in their mid 70's.

We had early seating at 6pm and we made our arrangements before we sailed.

We had 3 tables for 10 right next to each other by the windows and it was a party atmosphere every night.

Some days you'd go all day and not see more than a handful of your people and then everyone would show up for dinner to describe their adventures.

It was one of my favorite cruises and I don't believe anyone was resentful.

There was some minor switching of seats night to night, but really not much as some of us enjoyed having our favorite drink waiting for us at our seat when we arrived every night and we didn't want to mess up our servers. Lmao!!

Anyway, I'd say it's all about the group of people you have. We had 29 people who wanted to have those dinners together every night, but be on their own the rest of the time.

Wowwwwwww!!!! 29! Eeeeek, that's just scary (for me). Kudos to you all that can do that kind of thing. I'd run away so fast haha. Can you tell I was an only child with a small family? 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Wowwwwwww!!!! 29! Eeeeek, that's just scary (for me). Kudos to you all that can do that kind of thing. I'd run away so fast haha. Can you tell I was an only child with a small family? 🙂

Well, I wasn't an only child but I would be running right beside you brother.  I'm old enough to have experienced the annual family reunions back in the midwest.  I think there was a summer one in a public park and a winter one in a small town townhall.  I would like to say that I have many fond memories but I really can't back that up. 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

They may hold some back, but it is certainly not 80%.

80% is definitely Fake News. The call center people have zero insight to that number. The can only they’ll you “it’s sold out, don’t yell at me,,,,, there is 80% onboard if you stop yelling at me,,, can I sell you a Plus beverage package”. 

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

80% is definitely Fake News. The call center people have zero insight to that number. The can only they’ll you “it’s sold out, don’t yell at me,,,,, there is 80% onboard if you stop yelling at me,,, can I sell you a Plus beverage package”. 

Again, do you work at NCL?

4 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

It isn’t clear what the percentage is (or even if it is a consistent proportion). I have read various different percentages which people were told by NCL staff (from

20% to about 75%).

Given the tendency for NCL staff, especially phone staff, to just guess or make stuff up, I wouldn’t give any credence to what they say.

A proportion of bookings are held back, but the actual percentage could be anything.

This makes sense. I'm just repeating what I was quoted by an NCL rep but considering people have been given different percentages, none of us know the exact percentage that is held back. 

What are these percentages ?

Who controls or applies the algorithm ?

I would guess that on a ship with the Haven that a percentage is held for those guests -

as well as the ships Concierge to work his magic getting a table on demand or at least

overbooking relying on a cancellation. There has to be some free-play not all restaurants

have an exact fixed dining schedule i.e. Teppanyaki - - -

But what do I know about the inner workings of the dining restaurant reservations system.

Airlines overbook and get caught - NLC may subscribe to the same method. Get caught

and receive a complimentary bottle of that fabulous champagne dum luck duc or some

other trivial token gesture.

Bon appetite ?

How did that percentage taste ?