ABBA Songbook to be Retired in July

loriva

29 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

Why does a show have to be devoted to one group exclusively? Couldn't they do a whole decade at a time? They could then update a given show over time by adding and removing individual songs while not having to revamp the entire program. At least it would keep things a bit fresher as time goes by.  

Great idea.

They kind of did that with the Rat Pack Show (Sinatra, Martin, Davis, Jr.) but that I haven't seen that show on the playbill in years.

Or what if Viking got rid of its in-house people and instead featured local talent? I suppose that would take a good deal more coordination, but I would absolutely love it. Imagine listening to Irish bands when docked in Ireland, Spanish performers when in Spain, etc. 

• Like 3

Viking does bring on local talent when they can -- flamenco in Barcelona, opera in Rome for example --but mostly it is when they are overnighting in a port (so the talent can drive home after the show and not have to be flown home).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Or what if Viking got rid of its in-house people and instead featured local talent? I suppose that would take a good deal more coordination, but I would absolutely love it. Imagine listening to Irish bands when docked in Ireland, Spanish performers when in Spain, etc. 

They do do this.

However, what happens about onboard entertainment on sea days!   The in house people are interesting.  In addition, Viking frequently uses them to herd cats (passengers) on excursions.  I’ve met a lot of the entertainment this way.  

• Like 2

We’ve had outside entertainers get on in one port and leave a few ports later. In So. America it was a gal from Montevideo I think. Last year on our TA from SJ to BCN it was two entertainers—one who was Italian/Spanish from Australia & one American. The two fellows were supposed to depart in Madeira but we missed that port and they had to stay on til our next stop. The So. American entertainer also had to stay on due to a missed port. In both cases, the entertainers put on unplanned extra shows.

I hope this means they will start playing music at least from the 80' and 90's (not asking much since this is still 30-40 years old). I have not been on Viking yet but have been on many other lines and I am really tired of the same OLD songs played on every ship. If I have to listen to Sweet Caroline one more time I am going to pull my hair out (and I used to love that song). I am in my 50's and the music that is mostly played by all cruise lines is extremely outdated. It is time for a change!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, islandchick said:

I hope this means they will start playing music at least from the 80' and 90's (not asking much since this is still 30-40 years old). I have not been on Viking yet but have been on many other lines and I am really tired of the same OLD songs played on every ship. If I have to listen to Sweet Caroline one more time I am going to pull my hair out (and I used to love that song). I am in my 50's and the music that is mostly played by all cruise lines is extremely outdated. It is time for a change!

How 'bout YMCA?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, islandchick said:

the music that is mostly played by all cruise lines is extremely outdated.

That speaks to my thought that the royalty cost of the music helps drive the choice of the music on board ships.

I also think that the choice of the music speaks to the demographic that Viking markets to -- old folks who can more easily swing 2+ week vacations.

2 hours ago, islandchick said:

If I have to listen to Sweet Caroline one more time

LOL. You mean the RedSox anthem.

1 hour ago, Patriot1791 said:

"As Time Goes By"......now that is a great tune......"a kiss is just a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh,  the fundamental things apply, as time goes by....."

On our recent stop in Venice, a jazz combo was playing that in St Marks square.

IMG_0761.thumb.jpeg.29389eb5eb2d11b6811be92c74479a4a.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

Wow. This evening we were just talking about this, whether this show would still be playing for our cruise at the end of July.

An Abba tribute band is playing at our Carolina Theater next week and we were debating getting  tickets.

I have to admit, I am a fan. Have seen the show several times while on board Viking.

Some Big Country, REM would be awesome!

An update to my original post from staff on Jupiter:

--The ABBA Songbook will be folded into a show on the pool deck--a show to allow people to get up and dance.

--The Beatles show folds into a classic rock show--50s, 60s, and 70s; Stones, Fleetwood Mac, others.

--There will be a new show, Southern Sounds, which is country western.

--A second new show will be show tunes--more of a traditional production show onboard cruises.

Variety shows and guest entertainers will also continue.

Edited by loriva
Addition
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, loriva said:

--The ABBA Songbook will be folded into a show on the pool deck--a show to allow people to get up and dance.

--The Beatles show folds into a classic rock show--50s, 60s, and 70s; Stones, Fleetwood Mac, others.

--A second new show will be show tunes--more of a traditional production show onboard cruises.

Excellent!

Not so sure about a pool deck dancing show - but it will be great for some!

Now a classic rock show is my style - looking forward to that.

Wonder if it is just Jupiter or will be rolled out to the other ships and if so, when?  Obviously they need to get performers, etc...  (or have current ones practice new things)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, loriva said:

I live in Nashville and not a country fan but will take that over Abba.  Once was ok... not for three cruises though.  Taylor Swift is here for three nights of concerts and it is a mad house 300,000 people in town for her concerts.  Give me Eagles, Bob Seger, any classic rock.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Wonder if it is just Jupiter or will be rolled out to the other ships and if so, when?  Obviously they need to get performers, etc...  (or have current ones practice new things)

The staff talked as if it were to be shipwide.  They also said rehearsals for the new shows had begun.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, loriva said:

The staff talked as if it were to be shipwide.  They also said rehearsals for the new shows had begun.

Excellent, Loiva!

You are a wonderful wealth of knowledge!  This is all good news for those of us who've done many Viking Ocean cruises and have more coming up.   We are on one in June, so perhaps we actually we go see ABBA and/or Beatles, just for old times sake, knowing that's it.  🙂

• Like 2

On 5/4/2023 at 3:30 AM, Twitchly said:

Too recent. Maybe some nice Johnny Rotten & the Sex Pistols. Their rousing version of “God Save the Queen” in honor of the upcoming coronation, perhaps? 👑

Sadly, it’ll probably be something like Billy Joel and Neil Diamond instead.

"We're better than anyone, aren't we? Except for The Eagles; The Eagles are better than us." - Sex Pistols

SexPistols.jpeg

• Like 2

On our recent (April 2023 - British Isles Explorer) Viking Venus cruise no ABBA concert, no Beatles Concert.  Instead, we had "Sounds of the Sixties," "Stage Door" - potpourri of Broadway and West End hits, "In-Concert-Duets," and "Southern Sounds,"  Johnny Cash, Shania Twain et. al.  Nice to have a change.

By the way, the most popular program was an illusionist/"mind reader" Marc Paul. Truly mind-boggling act!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On the first sailing of the Mars last May, the new entertainers did a newly created show that had hit songs from the 60’s and 70’s. Some Elton John, disco, Billy Joel, and others I forget. But they did end with Bohemian Rhapsody! The audience jumped to its feet immediately.  
Then on the Star in December, they did a show called Legends. It was a bit old fashioned, but featured Aretha, Elvis, Elton John, Whitney Houston, Tom Jones (for the Brits onboard) and a lot more that I can’t remember. Both shows had a lot more creative digital backgrounds on the stage screen. Unfortunately, both cruises (14 nights) also did have Abba and the Beatles. 

Edited by Mariastreby
Typo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...