Live solo report from the 22 day European Splendor and Voyage of the Midnight Sun on N. Statendam

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

I agree. Not to mention, from the east coast of the US, it is easier to get to/from cruises to Norway. 
I am booked on a most desirable cruise to Alaska next year, round trip from Seattle, but looking at the flights this year---they are horrendous! Especially coming back is terrible hours. 
Does this adorable little old lady have the endurance for that???  

Of course you do! Just pack plenty of you-know-what. 🍫

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, RuthC said:

I agree. Not to mention, from the east coast of the US, it is easier to get to/from cruises to Norway. 
I am booked on a most desirable cruise to Alaska next year, round trip from Seattle, but looking at the flights this year---they are horrendous! Especially coming back is terrible hours. 

My daughter and SIL are taking a round trip Seattle/Alaska cruise leaving next week.  Going from ATL.  They are not crazy about the red eye they have to take home.  They have no idea what to do until their flight.

cruising sister -  Love ready the review as we sail along.  Hope you do not mind that I borrowed a Troll photo to send to my grandchildren.  I did not get a chance to take any, as of yet.  Though against our guides wishes, I did buy a couple of Viking trolls for my grandson.   😁. He asked for fighting Vikings.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RuthC said:

I've been flipping a coin between Alaska and Norway for this year. I've been to Norway a couple of times, sailed on the NS once, so wanted to try something different. But I think Norway is once again winning out.

OP: Thanks for the report and photos!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

My daughter and SIL are taking a round trip Seattle/Alaska cruise leaving next week.  Going from ATL.  They are not crazy about the red eye they have to take home.  They have no idea what to do until their flight.

I wonder if the excursion and airport transfer for disembarkation day might help fill in the time for them?  Or, perhaps, if they check on the ports boards, there are lots of tips on local excursions with airport drop-off.  We once took a Harbour Air flight to Victoria with Butchart Gardens included.  The return trip had us landing at The Flying Beaver, which is next to the Vancouver Airport.  They’d need to use Luggage Direct for their suitcases to make a Harbour Air flight work, or they could use the luggage storage at the port if they choose a different excursion.  (Sorry.  Just some thoughts to help them out.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SnowshoeCat said:

I've been flipping a coin between Alaska and Norway for this year. I've been to Norway a couple of times, sailed on the NS once, so wanted to try something different. But I think Norway is once again winning out.

OP: Thanks for the report and photos!

Time travel eastbound is hard for me.  I find it less miserable going west; less jet lag to deal with so I can jump right into my holiday from the start.  A late night flight home, to me, is easier to adjust to because I’ll be doing it at home.  Alaska is SO worth it.

• Like 3

Late to the blog, but thanks for your wonderful descriptions.  I’m touched you had your special song!  I am so glad you are enjoying the cruise! 

@RuthC go for it,   Maybe there’s some better flights if you stay a day after?   

I love the true inside passage inside Vancouver island,  I think it holds its own with Norway,  IMO you need to do both, they are both so lovely. 

• Like 1

Hello from north of the arctic circle. We crossed over at 7 this morning.  We are headed to Hammerfest and Honningsvag our two most northErin cities.  We were in Trondheim yesterday.  I did a walking tour and came back to the ship and relaxed with a massage (using up OBC).   The guide told us that after 2025 cruise ships will not be stopping in Trondheim due to new regulations for needing to have hybrid vessels only.  The seas are rough but not bad on board. I am on the 10th floor and it is very stable.

I want to make one comment about solo travel and specialty dining. They seem to offer the worse table to you.  The first two times I took them but tonight I refused. She was abrupt with me but did give me a better table.  6 couples came in after me and not one of them were offered the less desirable table. Why would they think a solo traveler would not want a window or at better spot? After being treated like royalty in club orange I don’t think I will do anymore specialty dining even if it is complimentary.

The weather has been good for Norway. We had a few sprinkles yesterday and may have some again tomorrow. No pictures today as my pictures would not load onto my iPad.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I want to make one comment about solo travel and specialty dining. They seem to offer the worse table to you.  The first two times I took them but tonight I refused. She was abrupt with me but did give me a better table.  6 couples came in after me and not one of them were offered the less desirable table. Why would they think a solo traveler would not want a window or at better spot? After being treated like royalty in club orange I don’t think I will do anymore specialty dining even if it is complimentary.

I am so sorry to hear this 😔. Solos should be given the same consideration and service as others.  I don’t blame you for sticking with CO but I would do some feedback now on the Navigator app.  this is not right 😡 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Hello from north of the arctic circle. We crossed over at 7 this morning.  We are headed to Hammerfest and Honningsvag our two most northErin cities.  We were in Trondheim yesterday.  I did a walking tour and came back to the ship and relaxed with a massage (using up OBC).   The guide told us that after 2025 cruise ships will not be stopping in Trondheim due to new regulations for needing to have hybrid vessels only.  The seas are rough but not bad on board. I am on the 10th floor and it is very stable.

The weather has been good for Norway. We had a few sprinkles yesterday and may have some again tomorrow. No pictures today as my pictures would not load onto my iPad.

Thank you about the comment about the specialty dining.  I mentioned the same thing about that a week or so ago.  For me it seems the worst in Canaletto.  Like you I’ve rarely said anything but on my last cruise I finally spoke up as they wanted to put me at a banquette.  I put up with it on the cruise before.  I can’t sit on the banquette because my knees get so stiff it’s an ordeal to get off it.  I sat on the chair in the aisle and was bumped all night.  I got a window all right the next time and my meal was served so quickly so they could get me out and give the table to someone that deserved it 🙄.  The next single lady that came in was sat at the banquette.

On 5/13/2023 at 8:56 AM, cruising sister said:

Yes, there are chair hogs even on cold itineraries. My cabin is on deck 10 and there are those comfy loungers that are divided by curtains on deck 10. I would walk by in the morning before 8 AM you would find books, hats and other things saving chairs. One day it was almost 3 hours before someone came and claimed their chair.

I think those chairs with the dividing curtains are cabanas that people have paid extra for.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NotLikeBelleRosen,IHope said:

I think those chairs with the dividing curtains are cabanas that people have paid extra for.

Nope, those are free.  The paid for cabanas are on 11 or 12, I can’t remember which and they are in a totally different spot.  There is no reason to save anything in the paid for cabanas although you still find the odd person that feels the need to.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

I am so sorry to hear this 😔. Solos should be given the same consideration and service as others.  I don’t blame you for sticking with CO but I would do some feedback now on the Navigator app.  this is not right 😡 

No, it isn't right. But it isn't uncommon, either. @cruising sister and @Florida_gal_50, good for you for speaking up. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bennybear said:

@RuthC go for it,   Maybe there’s some better flights if you stay a day after?   

I love the true inside passage inside Vancouver island,  I think it holds its own with Norway,  IMO you need to do both, they are both so lovely. 

Thanks for the encouragement, @bennybear. I'll see how I feel next June. 

I've been to Alaska about 9 times for a total of 16 weeks (IIRC). I have also done some land touring there with HAL, independently, and spent a week at a professional conference in Anchorage (cruised up). So, I have plenty of Alaska time already. 
I've cruised Norway more times than I can count, including going as far north as the Svalbard Islands and into the Polar Ice Cap, so I have been blessed to enjoy both destinations more than most people. 

I just find eastbound flights to Europe, overnight, when I can get some sleep on the plane and take a day or two to recover much easier than eastbound from Vancouver/Seattle in the daytime. Whatever time I start out, it's already three hours later in the east, making for a very long day. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

Thanks for the encouragement, @bennybear. I'll see how I feel next June. 

I've been to Alaska about 9 times for a total of 16 weeks (IIRC). I have also done some land touring there with HAL, independently, and spent a week at a professional conference in Anchorage (cruised up). So, I have plenty of Alaska time already. 
I've cruised Norway more times than I can count, including going as far north as the Svalbard Islands and into the Polar Ice Cap, so I have been blessed to enjoy both destinations more than most people. 

I just find eastbound flights to Europe, overnight, when I can get some sleep on the plane and take a day or two to recover much easier than eastbound from Vancouver/Seattle in the daytime. Whatever time I start out, it's already three hours later in the east, making for a very long day. 

That puts a different spin for sure,  you have the luxury of choice.    I also spent nine days in Anchorage and so enjoyed that city,  

I also find Europe not too bad going if I can get a few hours of sleep,  so much to explore there. 
im sure you’ll enjoy what ever you choose.  I never tire of Europe!  I also highly recommend Japan if you haven’t tried that.   You could choose to go eastbound via Europe. 

Would be lovely to meet you onboard one day! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Time travel eastbound is hard for me.  I find it less miserable going west; less jet lag to deal with so I can jump right into my holiday from the start.  A late night flight home, to me, is easier to adjust to because I’ll be doing it at home.  Alaska is SO worth it.

I need to get off these boards! I now have two courtesy holds 😁

• Haha 10

Hello from Hammerfest Norway.  They claim to be the northernmost city in the world but they have competition to that claim.  Today is Sunday so the town is closed up.  The Polar Bear Society/information center was open which was good for me. My DGS loves polar bears and we adopt the polar bear at our zoo every Christmas and I wanted to get him a polar bear from Hammerfest. The polar bear is Hammerfest’s mascot.

The city is quaint with cute little wooden houses with a few modern ones mixed in.  How great it would be to have a mini waterfall behind your house?! They also have the cutest little boats. There was no one to ask so I don’t know what they fish for. There were reindeer walking down the street this morning and I missed it!

We head to Honningsvag tomorrow and I have an excursion to North Cape where thousands of puffins, gannets and cormorants hang out on the cliff. The weather is supposed to be sunny and in the 50”s. We have had the best weather on this cruise.

I have been using this cruise as a test to see if I can handle 94 days next winter and as of today I would say yes.  I already have some ideas on how to make my cabin more comfortable for that long of a time.  I will attach a few pictures.  Back tomorrow.

ED3C2C07-ACCB-4149-80ED-B1988DF3D375.thumb.jpeg.9719168d2978e0596d3183db69bec0ad.jpegADE30CCB-F7AB-4D74-B345-F11DD003F781.thumb.jpeg.9ad284b6c2b60fcd947824a35a56c06c.jpeg24912152-C299-4D68-BF5F-5955F1998C94.thumb.jpeg.7411d72f8308cea6854dfcf2051471cf.jpegAB3D2E61-BA0C-415A-ACEA-A8C3248B4252.thumb.jpeg.c3363a0483e39b2a142a98ec943d02aa.jpeg3093B89C-5114-4D43-AB54-0AAC4D4338FB.thumb.jpeg.515a437f1d23df12eb49953c22743971.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Thank you so much for the commentary!  We have been following your thread as we prepare for our Norway cruise.  Hammerfest looks lovely.  Unfortunately it was recently canceled on our July Rotterdam sailing. We are now going to Lerwick instead. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Norway and the ship,

• Like 2

Just my opinion, but you are very lucky to be going to Lerwick!  One of my favorite ports.  However, if the weather is bad, you may not be able to make the stop. When we were there, it was a tender port.  So beautiful!  Love all the Shetland ponies, Puffins, etc..

Edited by Iamthesea
Forgot to add last sentence
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

When we were there, it was a tender port.

I've been there several times, on many sizes of ships---including Rotterdam V (38,000 tons). All have been tender to get ashore, except for the Prinsendam, which was able to dock a little further down from the center of town. 

Favorite memory is having our bus stop on the road when a woman pulled up to the traffic light and manually changed it to
red. She then crossed the street and did the same on the other side. We waited for a plane to take off in front of us. Then the woman changed the light back to green, and we continued on with the tour. 

• Like 8

What another great day in Norway. The weather was perfect and in the high 50s. I took an excursion to North Cape. We saw lots of reindeer along the way. Thank you, Jacque @kazufor the suggestion of Blue Puffin tours. Sebastian was great. We had an incident on the way back where two people did not show up for the bus. We waited 20 minutes and then left. His thoughts were they took one of the other tour buses back to the ship. He said that was a first for him. 

At one of the small towns on the way to North Cape, we stopped at a small art gallery, where I met the artist who makes pictures out of ripped up colors from magazines. I was the only one in the shop at a time so she showed me what she did. She said she goes and makes her sketches and comes back and finds the colors that she wants in the magazines.  I like to buy local art so I bought a picture for me and some small pictures that you can hang in your windows and the light will come through as gifts. 

We stopped at a small Sami village and I saw a reindeer up close. It was a male reindeer that was growing its new horns.

We now have two days at sea before our last two ports. These 22 days are going very fast. Everyone has been so nice and I’m glad I came.

E9D3B4D6-B3F6-45C1-807C-CCAEEDA879DA.thumb.jpeg.b4ca9ef4727e94e6eafc4c4bab0a73cf.jpegE7F9D016-95E2-448F-A918-4E6269461AC1.thumb.jpeg.96b9401355035b770e7c12ebfa7a1e68.jpegCF8FFB1F-5EC1-49C9-80F8-5AB8E72C8071.thumb.jpeg.33fce1fe14a10ed512ce38e74b66bedd.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

These 22 days are going very fast. Everyone has been so nice and I’m glad I came.

I am SO glad to read these words ♥️ 

Glad you enjoyed the Blue Puffin tour 👍 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

These 22 days are going very fast. Everyone has been so nice and I’m glad I came.

That's the best review of a cruise I've read.

Your pictures have been beautiful. I'm so glad the weather cooperated!

• Like 3