Rooms open on embarkation

I went on an RCCL cruise in early February and I am sure I was told to go directly to the room to get the card and drop off luggage.  A bunch of people on another area are telling me (basically) that I was hallucinating and you can't go up before 1 or 2 (we were on by noon).  Was I wrong or was this a one-off that I just happened to catch? 

1 hour ago, The Gremlin said:

I went on an RCCL cruise in early February and I am sure I was told to go directly to the room to get the card and drop off luggage.  A bunch of people on another area are telling me (basically) that I was hallucinating and you can't go up before 1 or 2 (we were on by noon).  Was I wrong or was this a one-off that I just happened to catch? 

You were either hallucinating or your cruise was the first one on a ship that had just deadheaded to your port of embarkation.

• Like 1

On our cruise out of Baltimore in April 2022 the agent (this was on Enchantment) that checked us in said that the room (Jr. Suite) was ready and we could go right up and pick up our Seapass cards.  Well, I was surprised, but happy, as this was about 11:30 or noon and I didn't expect the rooms to be ready so soon.  Well...of course the rooms were NOT ready, the room stewards in the hallway were distressed, but when I relayed what the check-in agent had said, they let me go to the room and pick up the Seapass card and we didn't try to go in or drop our luggage.  It was embarassing for us because we are veteran cruisers and do know that the rooms are generally not ready until 1 or 2 pm, but when your check-in person tells you that your room is ready...well of course you think they know what they are talking about and you want to take advantage of that happy news!  Anyway, I guess she must usually work at the Baltimore Port for Carnival, which is the other line that sails from Baltimore, OR it was her first day on the job...  Anyway, I believe that The Gremlin probably was told that the cabin was ready.  It happens.

• Like 1

Pre-COVID sailings with Princess Cruises the rooms were always ready before guests were invited to board and I remember that was usually about 11:30am but sometimes slightly later.  The containment doors leading to room corridors were never closed with signs stating when the rooms would be ready as is standard on RCI.

Celebrity allows you to drop off your carry-on's immediately- then leave.  We put our valuables in the safe also.  I "assume" Royal will also eventually.  If you are in a star suite- I believe the Genie immediately takes you to your suite.  

Do they still close the doorways to the cabin hallways until the rooms are ready? (for us, it's normally around 1:30pm - but I've found that it's plus/minus 30 minutes. 

We changed the way we manage our embarkation day.  We always try and be at the port so we check in and are waiting for the boarding to start.  We bring a carry on beach bag with our bathing suits.  As soon as we board, we head to a specialty restaurant to book our times (we normally purchase a specialty dining package), and then we head to the WJ for lunch (timing is usually perfect for this), and then we go to the solarium bathrooms and change into our bathing suits, and will stay in the solarium until the cabins are open. 

NOTE:   Something we noticed on our last 2 cruises: your luggage is likely not going to be in front of your cabin - it will be in the general area - so be prepared to look up and down the halls in close proximity to your cabin. 

16 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

Do they still close the doorways to the cabin hallways until the rooms are ready? (for us, it's normally around 1:30pm - but I've found that it's plus/minus 30 minutes. 

Yes.

16 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

NOTE:   Something we noticed on our last 2 cruises: your luggage is likely not going to be in front of your cabin - it will be in the general area - so be prepared to look up and down the halls in close proximity to your cabin. 

We have gone to get our luggage from the "staging area" as part of our normal routine for quite a while now. It saves the crew member some work to bring it to our door and we get to unpack asap (our preference) so we see it as a win-win. Well worth taking a walk down the hallway for us.

Edited by OCSC Mike

17 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

We have gone to get our luggage from the "staging area" as part of our normal routine for quite a while now.

We do this as well, or walk the halls looking for it, since it is never anywhere near our cabin lately. We were on a B3B last fall and managed to find 3 of our suitcases scattered around the area, but the fourth one was nowhere to be seen. About an hour after we stopped looking the cabin steward showed up with that bag and when we informed him that were doing multiple cruises in that cabin he expressed amazement that we could do several weeks on board with just one suitcase. We explained that we had already retrieved the others.😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We do this as well, or walk the halls looking for it, since it is never anywhere near our cabin lately.

When sailing alone and frugally we have found ours anywhere from just down the hall to who knows where. I know what you mean.

Since my generous FIL is treating the family to GS's on Wonder next month, it should be a breeze since they're all on Deck 17 surrounding the SL/CK. After that, it's back to treasure hunting. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

Pre-COVID sailings with Princess Cruises the rooms were always ready before guests were invited to board and I remember that was usually about 11:30am but sometimes slightly later.  The containment doors leading to room corridors were never closed with signs stating when the rooms would be ready as is standard on RCI.

Cabins are always ready when you board on princess.  Always been that way. 

1 hour ago, RoePost said:

Cabins are always ready when you board on princess.  Always been that way. 

30+ years ago Cabins were Ready on Royal also though back then they didnt start Boarding until after 12:30. Funny thing is Keys were in Cabin with Door open like they do again now. 

On 5/7/2023 at 2:16 PM, CruiserMickey said:

Just boarded the Brilliance and the hall doors are closed with signs saying rooms  will be ready at 2:00 pm. It would be really great if Royal would allow us to drop off carry-on luggage like Celebrity does.

RCI is pretty strict on limiting access to cabins. I just boarded Mariner today and heard from several people that they were told to turn around when they tried to access their cabins early. Cabins were available today at 1:40 PM. 

• Like 1