Injury due to negligence in spa?

7 hours ago, california and cruising said:

It is hard when someone is not there. 

I am sorry I asked a simple question. This has never happened in the states with a manicure that was 1/4 less in price. When a person goes on a ship I feel that someone should be skilled at their position.

I have a friend that from a simple so called boo boo ended up with sepsis. 

I hope you are not sorry that you asked a simple question.  On an 'open forum' such as this, not everyone is as 'nice' as they should be.  Criticizing OPs for what they post is just gross.  Nobody wants to read someone's critical opinion of whatever the OP has posted ... people should keep those thoughts to themselves.  People come here for help, not to be ridiculed.  Consider the source.

2 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I hope you are not sorry that you asked a simple question.  On an 'open forum' such as this, not everyone is as 'nice' as they should be.  Criticizing OPs for what they post is just gross.  Nobody wants to read someone's critical opinion of whatever the OP has posted ... people should keep those thoughts to themselves.  People come here for help, not to be ridiculed.  Consider the source.

No, they should not be sorry for asking the question but people gave the OP help by letting them know their complaint was minor and the cruise line offered more than necessary. Fingers bleed profusely and throb with minor injury. Why did they expect the spa on a cruise ship to be more professional than on land as stated?

Apparently if one does not totally agree with a poster, their opinion should be kept to themselves? In other words, only comment if you agree with the OP and support their quest for compensation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

No, they should not be sorry for asking the question but people gave the OP help by letting them know their complaint was minor and the cruise line offered more than necessary. Fingers bleed profusely and throb with minor injury. Why did they expect the spa on a cruise ship to be more professional than on land as stated?

Apparently if one does not totally agree with a poster, their opinion should be kept to themselves? In other words, only comment if you agree with the OP and support their quest for compensation.

No, I'm not saying to comment only if you agree.  Just show a little class and comment in a way that doesn't insult the OP.  No need to imply the OP is stupid with their expectations.  Getting your point across without insult is not too difficult for most of us.  You just have to think a little.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

My state has the highest concentration of nail salon workers, ours use clippers on finger nails too.

Don't they all use clippers on finger and toe nails?  Never had a manicure.   I've been to a pedicure once in my life with Mrs Ldubs. They used clippers.   It was actually pretty cool.

• Haha 1

Thank you for providing more details, OP. One would certainly hope that a manicurist has a duty of care not to cut the customer with the clippers, and that is the basic definition of negligence, so using that term is certainly valid. The sticking point is what is the cruise line obligated to offer for the injury. As has been pointed out due to the contract language unless the injury is really serious pursuing the matter any further is likely pointless because the contract language favors the cruise line so much. So you are left with their offer. They might be willing to negotiate on the terms of this offer and as I suggested before you might be able to get them to extend the time period for using the FCC. You also might be able to get them to just issue a refund as has been suggested (but that is probably an uphill battle. As a lawyer once told me during negotiations the money is a different kind of green.). But if they don't budge in their position you have to be prepared to just let it go. 

21 hours ago, jsn55 said:

This must have been really annoying.  But the time to deal with it was while you were on the ship.  I'm sure your goal is not to generate compensation but to alert the ship that they need to be more pro-active with the people who actually work on the pax, contracted or not.  I can't see a cruiseline doing much  more than the token FOBC.  Did you submit a copy of the medical report from the injury?  

10 hours ago, jsn55 said:

9 hours ago, jsn55 said:

No, I'm not saying to comment only if you agree.  Just show a little class and comment in a way that doesn't insult the OP.  No need to imply the OP is stupid with their expectations.  Getting your point across without insult is not too difficult for most of us.  You just have to think a little.

Unfortunately a simple statement can be taken in different ways by different people. Refer to your post 14 above. Telling them they should have dealt with the situation while on the ship is no different than pointing out there is a policy which could have been read. Maybe the OP was sorry they asked because they found out the answer was in their contract, not because —as you concluded—they received what you labeled critical responses. It has less to do with the words and more to do with intent vs reception.

One person may have “implied” a “critical opinion” but people were just answering the question of whether the response from the cruise line was normal. People pointed out that it was either normal or above what one should expect and explained why. ..No one implied they were stupid for asking.

I’m sorry if they felt insulted by the responses. Their question was answered and they were even given suggestions for asking to have the compensation changed to another form. And it is beneficial for them to know anything beyond that would be time wasted.

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Don't they all use clippers on finger and toe nails?  Never had a manicure.   I've been to a pedicure once in my life with Mrs Ldubs. They used clippers.   It was actually pretty cool.

Just wait until you're 'old' and can't cut your own toenails, then you'll really appreciate a pedicure!   Not that I'm that old, of course, I just heard about it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Unfortunately a simple statement can be taken in different ways by different people. Refer to your post 14 above. Telling them they should have dealt with the situation while on the ship is no different than pointing out there is a policy which could have been read. Maybe the OP was sorry they asked because they found out the answer was in their contract, not because —as you concluded—they received what you labeled critical responses. It has less to do with the words and more to do with intent vs reception.

One person may have “implied” a “critical opinion” but people were just answering the question of whether the response from the cruise line was normal. People pointed out that it was either normal or above what one should expect and explained why. ..No one implied they were stupid for asking.

I’m sorry if they felt insulted by the responses. Their question was answered and they were even given suggestions for asking to have the compensation changed to another form. And it is beneficial for them to know anything beyond that would be time wasted.

I like to use the 'cookie concept' when delivering bad news.

20 hours ago, california and cruising said:

It is hard when someone is not there. 

I am sorry I asked a simple question. This has never happened in the states with a manicure that was 1/4 less in price. When a person goes on a ship I feel that someone should be skilled at their position.

I have a friend that from a simple so called boo boo ended up with sepsis. 

You've been lucky. I used to have acrylics, which I got filled every few weeks (in the States). The nail techs nicked me with the drill and took a hunk out of my finger more than once. Did it suck? Yes. Did I make a big deal about it? No. Accidents happen even with the most skilled manicurists.  

I would've pushed for a resolution onboard, but wouldn't have expected more than having the treatment comped with the rationale that a manicure is supposed to make your hands look nicer and a big cut has the opposite effect.

On 5/9/2023 at 4:03 PM, ldubs said:

Taking a hunk of finger off ... 

On 5/9/2023 at 3:10 PM, california and cruising said:

... I have a friend that from a simple so called boo boo ended up with sepsis ...  

Yeah, happened to Kahl Drogo too.  

Seriously, though, are we playing that elementary school telephone game where we all whisper something into our neighbor's ear and see how it changes by the end?  The OP said a small injury.  

On 5/10/2023 at 11:05 AM, jsn55 said:

Just wait until you're 'old' and can't cut your own toenails, then you'll really appreciate a pedicure!   Not that I'm that old, of course, I just heard about it.  

My grandmother, as she neared the century mark, discovered that her insurance would pay for her to go to the podiatrist and have her nails cut ... but a pedicure (and tip) was roughly the same cost as the co-pay for the doctor!  Once she learned that, she always asked for a pedicure coupon for her birthday or Mother's Day!  Sometimes I did her nails for her, but she really preferred the pedicure!  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yeah, happened to Kahl Drogo too.  

Seriously, though, are we playing that elementary school telephone game where we all whisper something into our neighbor's ear and see how it changes by the end?  The OP said a small injury.   

I'm sure you realize the person mentioning sepsis is the OP.  

Here is what the OP said about the incident: 

"... cut a piece of the corner of the skin on his finger off. Bleeding profusely, until they were able to stop it. No stitches. But, throbbing for days and painful."

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm sure you realize the person mentioning sepsis is the OP.  

Here is what the OP said about the incident: 

"... cut a piece of the corner of the skin on his finger off. Bleeding profusely, until they were able to stop it. No stitches. But, throbbing for days and painful."

I also see that the OP led with "Small injury on the ship", and then it turned into "a hunk of finger off".  None of us really know how bad it was, but those two descriptions don't sound the same.  

38 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I also see that the OP led with "Small injury on the ship", and then it turned into "a hunk of finger off".  None of us really know how bad it was, but those two descriptions don't sound the same.  

I agree. Anyone who has nicked their finger with a kitchen knife knows that even a minor cut will bleed like crazy for a few minutes, and will be sore for a few days. This grievous wound didn't even need a stitch. The OPs DH did NOT develop an infection, sepsis, or get gangrene and have their finger fall off  into their salad, so I don't know what was the point of bringing up a situation that didn't occur in this case. In layman's  language, it was a boo boo on his finger tip.

And one more time: Not all accidents are negligence. No one here, including the OP were present at the time to see how the incident occurred.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

To keep you happy I would edit my words to say they clipped off a piece of the finger instead of the nail, which is pretty much what the OP says.  Unfortunately, the edit function has timed out.   I think the OP knows exactly how bad it was.  I'll go with their description.     

1 hour ago, mom says said:

I agree. Anyone who has nicked their finger with a kitchen knife knows that even a minor cut will bleed like crazy for a few minutes, and will be sore for a few days. This grievous wound didn't even need a stitch. The OPs DH did NOT develop an infection, sepsis, or get gangrene and have their finger fall off  into their salad, so I don't know what was the point of bringing up a situation that didn't occur in this case. In layman's  language, it was a boo boo on his finger tip.

And one more time: Not all accidents are negligence. No one here, including the OP were present at the time to see how the incident occurred.  

I feel pretty good going with the OP's account of what happened.  I don't agree that a manicurist clipping a finger instead of a finger nail is not negligent.   

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

To keep you happy I would edit my words to say they clipped off a piece of the finger instead of the nail, which is pretty much what the OP says.  Unfortunately, the edit function has timed out.   I think the OP knows exactly how bad it was.  I'll go with their description.     

I feel pretty good going with the OP's account of what happened.  I don't agree that a manicurist clipping a finger instead of a finger nail is not negligent.   

Don't think it's negligence, just incompetence.  This story is a non-starter when it comes to allocating blame.  She wasn't very skilled, he got hurt, he recovered.  This story surely describes exactly why I never book any of those kinds of personal services at a hotel or on a cruise.  You have no idea of the competence level.  Having a really sore finger for two weeks while you're supposed to be enjoying yourself would be awful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 11:16 PM, california and cruising said:

Small injury on the ship. This was due to an employees negligence.  They sent my husband to medic. But, he was in discomfort three days out of four on the cruise (only a 4 day cruise) and then 2 more days on return. I called and their offer is a future onboard credit of 200pp.  We are not sure we want to actually sail again within the year.

Does this seem fair or is this normal protocol?

To answer part of your question about normal protocol.  If you deal with an issue on the ship, you might get Onboard Credit to use on the cruise.  After the fact, you typically get future credit.  Rarely do you get refunds, the lines hate to give back money.  200pp for discomfort three days out of 4 day cruise, I would take the FCC in writing and then use it or not.  Sorry this happened and hope you got some information that was helpful by asking your question.

Also think about travel insurance for more serious issues.

Edited by happy cruzer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1