Drinks Package Changes

Mad4WDW

Before people kick off about how you “need to be an alcoholic” or “you can’t possibly drink 15 alcoholic drinks a day” Pleae keep those type of options to yourself as we’ve all heard it before.

Some info for you. As per the title. The drinks packages are changing, a. New tier will be added from 28th May(On Arvia) might be a different start date on other ships.

There will be a deluxe package which will have a raised price cap, include all the premium mixers, include doubles of spirits and include all the premium soft drinks in bottles etc 

The new highest tier will be £44.99 per day with a discount offered if booked landside.

New menus are going out no doubt with higher prices, but more cocktails will be included within the price limit on the new menus. I’ve attached a couple of menu scans from our cruise (ended 14th May) for reference if anyone gets eyes on the new ones and can upload at some point we can compare to see how the prices have changed

Olive Grove Arvia May 2023.pdfArvia Amber Bar May 2023.pdf

Arvia Pool Bar Drinks Menu.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mad4WDW said:

Before people kick off about how you “need to be an alcoholic” or “you can’t possibly drink 15 alcoholic drinks a day” Pleae keep those type of options to yourself as we’ve all heard it before.

Some info for you. As per the title. The drinks packages are changing, a. New tier will be added from 28th May(On Arvia) might be a different start date on other ships.

There will be a deluxe package which will have a raised price cap, include all the premium mixers, include doubles of spirits and include all the premium soft drinks in bottles etc 

The new highest tier will be £44.99 per day with a discount offered if booked landside.

New menus are going out no doubt with higher prices, but more cocktails will be included within the price limit on the new menus. I’ve attached a couple of menu scans from our cruise (ended 14th May) for reference if anyone gets eyes on the new ones and can upload at some point we can compare to see how the prices have changed

Olive Grove Arvia May 2023.pdf 1.72 MB · 6 downloads Arvia Amber Bar May 2023.pdf 3.25 MB · 8 downloads

Arvia Pool Bar Drinks Menu.pdf 780.96 kB · 7 downloads

They obviously don't attract enough folk with their current offering. Putting the price up will work, won't it?. You need to drink lots to make it pay.

• Like 2

That would certainly be a far better deal than the current package. My issue has always been all the restrictions, as much of what we drink is currently excluded, and this new package would seem to address that. It would still leave me with two issues. My wife can’t drink much alcohol due to her medical condition, but both cabin occupants have always had to buy the package. Also, we like port intensive itineraries and obviously the opportunities to get value from drinks packages lessen considerably when ashore. A positive move though, that I can see being more popular than the current package. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Other drinks package changes too - I believe the hot drinks package has gone.

When can we expect the website to be updated with details of the changes and launch dates by ship? 

• Haha 1

I suppose my feeling is that there are all sorts of things that could make it a waste of money.  Lots of ports when you are ashore, not feeling well, so therefore not drinking any alcohol that day/days.  Confined to cabin with Covid. etc. etc.

At least when you PAYG, you don't have a problem.

It would be interesting to see someone write down what they would consume in a day to generate £45 including soft drinks and coffees etc.  I just can't see it at all.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I suppose my feeling is that there are all sorts of things that could make it a waste of money.  Lots of ports when you are ashore, not feeling well, so therefore not drinking any alcohol that day/days.  Confined to cabin with Covid. etc. etc.

At least when you PAYG, you don't have a problem.

It would be interesting to see someone write down what they would consume in a day to generate £45 including soft drinks and coffees etc.  I just can't see it at all.

there will be people that can easily do £45 per day but it definitely wouldn’t be us. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

That would certainly be a far better deal than the current package. My issue has always been all the restrictions, as much of what we drink is currently excluded, and this new package would seem to address that. It would still leave me with two issues. My wife can’t drink much alcohol due to her medical condition, but both cabin occupants have always had to buy the package. Also, we like port intensive itineraries and obviously the opportunities to get value from drinks packages lessen considerably when ashore. A positive move though, that I can see being more popular than the current package. 

On this point, I was in a queue earlier in the cruise for a couple in a similar scenario. 

The company appeared willing to see an alcohol package and a non alcohol one, if there was a medical certificate - may be worth checking, particularly if the £44.95 option is attractive. 

It is also still possible for adults to buy the child package, which is largely the same as the non alcoholic package, except for Costa Coffee and Mocktails.

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Agreeing with @No pager thank you, if you have a medical or religious reason, then reception can authorise for the second passenger to have the non-alcoholic package. In this scenario both must still take a package. Its be exception, with proof. It's not designed for where one person drinks lots and one person doesn't drink - that's just a case of working out whether to packages remain good value.

• Thanks 1

The guy next to me spoke to the manager about having 1 person on the alcohol package and another not. It was sorted out at the counter without a trip to reception. He had the receipt etc from when he did it previously with him. Manager applied some common sense and everything was done in a jiffy without a scene

36 minutes ago, Mad4WDW said:

The guy next to me spoke to the manager about having 1 person on the alcohol package and another not. It was sorted out at the counter without a trip to reception. He had the receipt etc from when he did it previously with him. Manager applied some common sense and everything was done in a jiffy without a scene

How refreshing. In many situations these days nobody is prepared to exercise discretion, and people have to jump through hoops to get anywhere with things that used to fall under the heading of ‘common sense’ 

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

But that's each?  LOL  

don’t have to pay for the kids though if we both got a package (I think?)

so that’s like three coffees in the morning 

two fancy candyfloss cocktails in the afternoon and three glasses of wine in the evening. Plus a few drinks for the kids. 

drinks packages are all subjective and work for some. 

would never work for us as I don’t like alcohol and I’m too tight also 

• Like 3

I don't drink but I'd love to see a premium AF package, like the Cunard one where all hot drinks, alcohol-free cocktails (inc Seedlip ones), alcohol free beers and a decent range of soft drinks (lots of different San Pellegrino pop, Fevertree tonics, Fentimans, etc) are all included. On MSC they even included AF wine with dinner. The P&O one isn't very good in comparison, and it's a shame the hot drinks package is going too. It will be PAYG for us in October. 

Edited by elmsliebev

On 5/14/2023 at 7:12 AM, Mad4WDW said:

Olive Grove Arvia May 2023.pdf 1.72 MB · 55 downloads Arvia Amber Bar May 2023.pdf 3.25 MB · 41 downloads

Arvia Pool Bar Drinks Menu.pdf 780.96 kB · 31 downloads

Where / when can I find details of the new package proposals ? 

Current package is much too restrictive (single measures / small glasses of wine etc) so I'd happily pay a bit more to loosen these up (come in to line with Princess / Celebrity). 

Appreciate the package is not for everyone but .............my wife and I (and our travelling companions) will generally achieve the £45 per day (most days anyway - we don't "count") so think the package is good value for us.   Note : we are not alcoholics - we drink very moderately at home but a few coffees during the morning, glass (or 2) of wine at lunch, a couple of beers in the afternoon and then pre dinner drinks / cocktails and 1/2 bottle of wine each at dinner - we are pretty much there.  Add a post dinner drink (or 2) and a couple of bottles of water / soft drinks throughout the day and think we are well there ! 

The only issue in the past has been the restrictions on cocktails / mixers - so hopefully this will now be improved. 

md    ar 

• Like 3

On 5/14/2023 at 10:08 AM, Selbourne said:

When can we expect the website to be updated with details of the changes and launch dates by ship? 

2027? And I don't mean coming up for half past eight tonight..😁

• Haha 3

Why not a drinks package per cabin as well, we never buy a package as we are light drinkers, mainly wine, the occasional beer, rarely spirits, so purchasing a drinks package each is totally unjustifiable in our case and probably many others. 

1 minute ago, Snow Hill said:

Why not a drinks package per cabin as well, we never buy a package as we are light drinkers, mainly wine, the occasional beer, rarely spirits, so purchasing a drinks package each is totally unjustifiable in our case and probably many others. 

If you are light drinkers - the package will not work for you and you are probably best just doing a PAYG.  The drinks prices on P & O (at present anyway) are very reasonable.  

• Like 1