Pictures of the VERY SAD Mast Grill / buffet burgers...

NutsAboutGolf

22 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

If you say so...

In 50 years of grilling my hamburgers (that is to say when I moved out on my own) to a medium rare, I have never, ever had any nasty things happen. (wife has been eating them for over 30 years...)

Perchance did you have a nasty experience early in life with a bad burger? (It took me almost 30 years to get over a bad experience I had with mussels...) Or are you going by what you've read??

I'm guessing you like your steaks well done...which is okay of course. When friends are over for dinner they get 'em the way they want 'em...

I'm assuming you're just being flippant, don't remember the major outbreaks a few years ago, or pay no attention to the news and food recalls. Probably the best known foodborne outbreak in the United States involved Jack in the Box and ground beef. Four children died of renal failure. It's a real thing. Outbreaks are reported constantly. Some make the news and result in major recalls. Most probably don't.

As Rick said earlier, it's not as big of a problem in steaks. It's a surface contamination issue with beef and the surface of the steak gets fully cooked. The surface of the beef trimmings used for ground beef all gets mixed together so the surface contaminants stay in the meat, and the meat actually heats up slightly while grinding which encourages them to grow.

And you can cook hamburgers to a safe temperature (160 F) and not turn them into grey hockey pucks. You can also create grey hockey pucks and not hit a safe temperature (that's probably harder).

We're now beyond simple unattractive burgers and into actual food safety. Which I'd prefer to avoid on Cruise Critic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dlh015 said:

If you say so...

In 50 years of grilling my hamburgers (that is to say when I moved out on my own) to a medium rare, I have never, ever had any nasty things happen. (wife has been eating them for over 30 years...)

Perchance did you have a nasty experience early in life with a bad burger? (It took me almost 30 years to get over a bad experience I had with mussels...) Or are you going by what you've read??

I'm guessing you like your steaks well done...which is okay of course. When friends are over for dinner they get 'em the way they want 'em...

Well aren't you full of assumptions. I haven't had a bad experience with a bad burger, I have however taken food safe training and if I'm going to have an undercooked burger then I'm grinding that beef myself.

I've never had a problem with seafood, I buy that from reputable venders or when I have harvested them myself I pay attention to the warnings for red tide and other dangers. Don't forget to make sure the shells are closed before you cook them and don't eat it if it didn't open when you cooked it.

And no I don't eat my steak well done, I know how to select a fine steak and how to cook it.

Best of luck for continued good fortune using store bought ground beef to make your rare burgers for your guests.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well aren't you full of assumptions. I haven't had a bad experience with a bad burger, I have however taken food safe training and if I'm going to have an undercooked burger then I'm grinding that beef myself.

I've never had a problem with seafood, I buy that from reputable venders or when I have harvested them myself I pay attention to the warnings for red tide and other dangers. Don't forget to make sure the shells are closed before you cook them and don't eat it if it didn't open when you cooked it.

And no I don't eat my steak well done, I know how to select a fine steak and how to cook it.

Best of luck for continued good fortune using store bought ground beef to make your rare burgers for your guests.

How about I just plain apologize? Sometimes I just put my foot in it...like this time.

I honestly asked the burger question because of my nasty experience with mussels...it certainly had a long effect. Harvested them ourselves, we knew to make sure that they opened. Strangely, no one else had ill effects. I've always assumed (later) that I had an allergic reaction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

I'm assuming you're just being flippant, don't remember the major outbreaks a few years ago, or pay no attention to the news and food recalls. Probably the best known foodborne outbreak in the United States involved Jack in the Box and ground beef. Four children died of renal failure. It's a real thing. Outbreaks are reported constantly. Some make the news and result in major recalls. Most probably don't.

As Rick said earlier, it's not as big of a problem in steaks. It's a surface contamination issue with beef and the surface of the steak gets fully cooked. The surface of the beef trimmings used for ground beef all gets mixed together so the surface contaminants stay in the meat, and the meat actually heats up slightly while grinding which encourages them to grow.

And you can cook hamburgers to a safe temperature (160 F) and not turn them into grey hockey pucks. You can also create grey hockey pucks and not hit a safe temperature (that's probably harder).

We're now beyond simple unattractive burgers and into actual food safety. Which I'd prefer to avoid on Cruise Critic.

Sorry, did not mean to imply it wasn't a real thing as it most certainly is. I remember the Jack in the Box thing back in '92. 

You are quite right about we're talking about food safety and my comment certainly gives the impression that everything is well and good, all the time, when it isn't.

My comment was irresponsible and not well thought out.  My apologies to the board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

How about I just plain apologize? Sometimes I just put my foot in it...like this time.

I honestly asked the burger question because of my nasty experience with mussels...it certainly had a long effect. Harvested them ourselves, we knew to make sure that they opened. Strangely, no one else had ill effects. I've always assumed (later) that I had an allergic reaction.

No worries mate, thanks for your considerate response. The problem with any commercial ground beef is that s**t literally happens and can get inside the food.

Cheers, enjoy your burgers.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Sorry, did not mean to imply it wasn't a real thing as it most certainly is. I remember the Jack in the Box thing back in '92. 

You are quite right about we're talking about food safety and my comment certainly gives the impression that everything is well and good, all the time, when it isn't.

My comment was irresponsible and not well thought out.  My apologies to the board.

No problem. Appreciate you coming back. Enjoy a good (properly cooked) burger!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Much prefer well done meat- it is safer for all as you can get very ill from eating undercooked meat and poultry.  Many restaurants have warnings printed on the menu.

I am not scared, that said, who eats undercooked poultry?

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

....who eats undercooked poultry?

I think the comment you are responding to reflects the restaurant and other warnings that warn against the dangers of undercooked meat, eggs, etc. 

More of a reminder to cook sufficiently than a warning against preferring things under done.

On 5/21/2023 at 9:52 AM, TeeRick said:

Yes it is definitely a combination of the cut of beef and marbled fat content.  My dw is somewhat adamant about getting lean burgers (93% or 96% lean) and they taste like nothing on the grill.  I try to sneak in an 85% burger when she is not looking.  That at least tastes better grilled.  My Italian mom used to make the best meatballs using 70% lean beef.  I cannot even find that now in the markets, and dw would have a fit if I did!  The supermarkets near me now are selling a number of expensive pre-made burgers.  Several companies focus on selling these more premium burgers.  Wahlburgers for example.  True aficionados buy rib-eye or something similar and grind it themselves! 

Trick her by buying the ground Wagyu at Costco.  It's very deliciously expensive but the fat renders a very tasty burger.

https://www.costco.com/authentic-wagyu-japanese-a5-ground-beef%2C-4lbs-total.product.100980168.html

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Trick her by buying the ground Wagyu at Costco.  It's very deliciously expensive but the fat renders a very tasty burger.

https://www.costco.com/authentic-wagyu-japanese-a5-ground-beef%2C-4lbs-total.product.100980168.html

Or do what Gordon Ramsay does, when she's not looking, mix in some melted butter (correction, he freezes the butter, grates it and mixes it in)

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

9 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I am not scared, that said, who eats undercooked poultry?

Nobody on purpose.  Or those who understand about poultry borne disease. However some restaurants or chefs do not prepare poultry properly and might not clean their knives and counter area thoroughly when preparing and serving poultry.   I have received and sent back undercooked poultry at a restaurant.

10 hours ago, dlh015 said:

sorry about the mussels..i love them in red or white sauces...at restaurants.

They are a highly rated healthy food.

Food recalls in last few yrs involved Chipolte...ugh.

on ships there are lkmited casyal lunch options but veggies and salads work for me!

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

For a juicer burger , you can always add in ground pork into the mix

3/4 ground beef and 1/4 ground pork 

We did this all the time with lean ground beef. It not only tastes incredible, but the burgers are easy to cook because they tended to not burn because the grease would just burn off and you always ended up with a really hot fire if your were cooking on a charcoal grill.

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

For a juicer burger , you can always add in ground pork into the mix

3/4 ground beef and 1/4 ground pork 

12 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

We did this all the time with lean ground beef. It not only tastes incredible, but the burgers are easy to cook because they tended to not burn because the grease would just burn off and you always ended up with a really hot fire if your were cooking on a charcoal grill.

Anyone is welcome to use any recipe they want, I just wanted to point out with burgers, there's a line (that line is different for everyone) that is crossed when you change the taste and texture so much that you're better off making them into meatballs or meatloaf.  FYI, A lazy mans 2-ingredient meatball recipe is to mix ground beef with de-cased Italian sausages meat 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Anyone is welcome to use any recipe they want, I just wanted to point out with burgers, there's a line (that line is different for everyone) that is crossed when you change the taste and texture so much that you're better off making them into meatballs or meatloaf.  FYI, A lazy mans 2-ingredient meatball recipe is to mix ground beef with de-cased Italian sausages meat 

I am surprised this thread was still going, as I would think that the X burgers are just so bad that nobody could defend them much less eat them. If X wants to save some money or make people happy, get rid of those burgers and add something back to the buffet;)

Edited by cgolf1

20 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I am surprised this thread was still going, as I would think that the X burgers are just so bad that nobody could defend them much less eat them. If X wants to save some money or make people happy, get rid of those burgers and add something back to the buffet;)

The burgers on the Reflection were ok, a lot of people were happy with the mast grill on the transatlantic much better than a year ago on the Apex 

17 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

X is too busy with disingenuous marketing to worry about making good tasting food...Here's what marketing says about the Beyond's "Eat & Drink"

image.thumb.png.fd554140bb6bd43c68d6deda1e914e7b.png

7 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The burgers on the Reflection were ok, a lot of people were happy with the mast grill on the transatlantic much better than a year ago on the Apex 

The Edge in February was awful, thankfully I grabbed a hot dog too which wasn't bad. It did remind me of lean ground beef we have used at home, but usually those fall apart so no idea what it was. It seems like with both burgers and hot dogs, the more fat or junk meat in the case of hot dogs in them the better they taste.