Best way to handle US to EU and vice versa?

Jcon3228

Hello all,

Been on cruises before but never to Europe. Will be on the NCL Getaway and wondering what's the best way to handle having cash in my pocket for things like tips or taxi or anything that doesn't take a card? Should I just pull some when I fly in, exchange it here and bring EU with me, or do the cruise lines do exchanges, or will most places take US? Thank you!

• Like 1

The best exchange rate will be a bank ATM at your entry port.  I have often ordered some from my bank at home just to have some handy but many don’t.  The ship will give you the worst rates.  EM

• Like 3

I agree that usual best rates are bank ATMs in the local port region. Just make sure it’s an ATM and not a similar looking machine used by an exchange agency (like Travelex). And, if given a choice of using that bank’s exchange rate or your home bank exchange rate, it’s always a good bet the your US bank’s rate will be less. Most importantly, never use a credit card in an ATM machine since that withdrawal will immediately start interest accrual on your card’s outstanding balance.

Besides the above, we do get some select countries’ cash depending on our arrival needs at that port (e.g., transfers, et al.). For that, we use our local bank which happens to have great exchange rates.
And we seldom sell foreign currency back. Either we keep it for known future travel to that country or we use it for end-of-cruise gratuities - particularly when the ship’s upcoming itineraries will include the the same countries.

• Like 1

Some merchants in touristy areas will accept USD.  It is a great way for them to improve their profit margins.  I would avoid doing that.

What we do:  We always have a small amount of Euros either from our bank or a previous trip.  If more is needed, we use bank ATMs while out and about.  Avoid the money change places at the airport.  Their fees can be kind of high.  In truth, a lot of cash isn't needed.  I can't recall a taxi in Europe that was cash only, at least in recent history.  Though for fares of just a few €, we usually do cash.   Seems just about all merchants accept credit cards.  VISA cards are accepted just about everywhere.  We have used AMEX in the distant past, but read AMEX isn't as widely accepted.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

Hi, everyone has their own way of doing this. I prefer to always have Euros with me. Just easier than having to find a bank/atm, etc.  I travel solo it is the last thing I want to think about so I just bring them and I usually have some left from previous trips.  To the OP, you asked if "most places take US $?"...no, they don't.  Think of it this way, if someone was coming to the US, I don't think any retailers would accept foreign currency so I would not think countries in Europe would take it either. 

The only place I have visited that take US $ is Turkey......they accept all forms of currency. Euros, US $ and of course their own, Turkish Lira.

But  the other countries I have visited do not take US $.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jcon3228 said:

Hello all,

Been on cruises before but never to Europe. Will be on the NCL Getaway and wondering what's the best way to handle having cash in my pocket for things like tips or taxi or anything that doesn't take a card? Should I just pull some when I fly in, exchange it here and bring EU with me, or do the cruise lines do exchanges, or will most places take US? Thank you!

I agree with getting some Euros at an ATM with a Debit card or ATM card. .Make sure you use a bank ATM and check for skimmers if it is outside the bank.  Best exchange rate. But you shuld use credit cards as much as possible. You should use one with no foreign transaction fees. Also don't let merchants convert the charge grom Euros to USD. That is a scam. I have been u.sing Uber in countries that have it but those that don't usually have a taxi app. Don't need cash for tips except  for guides as a service charge will be added to restaurant bills. Europe does not have a tipping culture. Need a few Euros for toilets.So you don't need that many Euros. I get about 20 or 40 and replenish if needed at an ATM. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

All good answers here.  Since you don’t say where you are cruising I presume mostly countries taking Euros.  Agree the ATM is the best way to go locally.  We were recently in Lisbon and taxis would not take cards - only cash.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StollyBolly said:

All good answers here.  Since you don’t say where you are cruising I presume mostly countries taking Euros.  Agree the ATM is the best way to go locally.  We were recently in Lisbon and taxis would not take cards - only cash.  

We were in Lisbon and Porto this past March.   I thought our cabs in both places were OK with cards.  But all our cabs were prearranged between our hotel and the airport or train station, so maybe that makes a difference.  Or, I am just not remembering (which is more likely).  

17 hours ago, StollyBolly said:

Apologies, we are going from Athens to Rome w/  Mykonos, Santorini, Naples, Pisa etc in between.

Excellent info from all, thank you so much. Sounds like I will just take some out on arrival to Greece and replenish if needed.

Edited by Jcon3228

Be sure that the automated machine is a bank (or in some countries a post office) ATM. Avoid the Travelex, or similar, currency exchange automats in airports and the private machines scattered around tourist areas. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

We were in Lisbon and Porto this past March.   I thought our cabs in both places were OK with cards.  But all our cabs were prearranged between our hotel and the airport or train station, so maybe that makes a difference.  Or, I am just not remembering (which is more likely).  

We were in the Czech Republic on a land trip, and taxis would not take cards. Our hotel arranged a limousine for us to an attraction we wanted to visit. And it even ended up costing less than a taxi ride would have cost. (We were also told that there would not be cabs to take us back, but that would be downhill and not a problem to walk. And they were right.)

You likely won’t need much cash. Virtually every business accepts cards - touchless or chip. And tipping isn’t a thing the same way it is in the U.S. and Canada. 

When we were over two weeks ago, I used about £6 cash for buses and €0.  Everything else went on the card. 

On 5/21/2023 at 12:42 PM, CPT Trips said:

Be sure that the automated machine is a bank (or in some countries a post office) ATM. Avoid the Travelex, or similar, currency exchange automats in airports and the private machines scattered around tourist areas. 

Like a Chase or BOA your saying or out in front of an actual bank. What are the popular banks over in Europe? We will land in Athens for a day before cruising.

1 hour ago, Jcon3228 said:

Like a Chase or BOA your saying or out in front of an actual bank. What are the popular banks over in Europe? We will land in Athens for a day before cruising.

We will frequently ask at our hotel for location of a good ATM.  

attached to, in or at a regular bank.  Your bank debit card , if it is a VISA/MC allied card will be adequate.  You will see the symbols.  You can use google maps for the area around your hotel to find ATM and banks, just click the search bubble

the large Alpha , Bank of Greece, Eurobank and National Bank of Greece are  major players.  There are major US banks in Athens but you might have to search for them.  You do not have to use only them .  There is an Alpha Bank at arrivals in Athens and all over the core of Athens